watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

22 days and counting

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, July 20, 2018, 11:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Classic94

I concur with most of what's already been said. Seri's a fantastic signing, no denying it. Equally, lots of business is done late because of market forces, but I would've expected us to have at least something resembling a squad by now. I'd say we're roughly 6 players short of where we need to be and the season kicks off in 3 weeks. In my opinion, that's inadequate time to prepare the team and we really can't afford start our season in November again.

Roberty

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on July 20, 2018, 04:25:59 PM
I'm sorry, but, you are completely and utterly wrong here, and I hope others back me up.

No, they're not taught to play football, but, it takes time, for a new group of players to settle, and understand a new system, along with those new players around them.

If you think this just takes a couple of days, then you are so far away from the game, its unbelievable.

Sadly not true - their professionals and it does not take an age to learn how the manager wants them to play

A good example of this is that international teams, usually drawn from several clubs, only gets a few days together before games and tournaments
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

filham

Agree with the initial post but think that the bad situation we are in is understated.

Any promotion team needs to make signings if they are to hold their own in the Premiership.
However we have lost Fredericks, Mitrovic, Kalas, Targett and Piazon from our promoted team and Odoi will be suspended at the start of the season. At the moment we have not even  the players available that made up the mid table team last Christmas.

So we have three weeks left to fill the big holes left by the unsigned players, no doubt some of these will be from overseas and new to the Premiership and will have to acclimatise and adjust to England before any team bonding can begin.

If we make three good signings next week for the centre back, full back and striker positions then Jokanovic is still going to have his work cut out in getting a team ready to perform against Palace.

toshes mate

Have to agree with the OP. 

Even if we had retained every single player from last season we would still look to this window to strengthen the side in whatever way possible for the PL. We are already a long, long way from that luxury of having a side that knows each others play inside out and here we are three weeks from our most important opening match at home where we need three points because anything less is going to set the wrong signal and tone for what follows because there isn't a window open any longer to correct things. 

I also do not get the fact that we have signed Seri and le Marchand and they are somehow major coups for recruitment when at the same time the same people argue that early signings are not of the better quality of players and that's why it takes time to get them.  You really cannot cut it both ways.

I hope we can manage to sign at least six players between now and the window closing and that none of them are risks but I'd be lying if I said I was confident our recruitment team can do it.   

YoungsBitter

Quote from: Statto on July 20, 2018, 07:14:17 PM
I think working through our summer to-do list, it currently looks like this:

Sign/replace Kalas - not done
Sign/replace Norwood - DONE (being generous I'd say Seri goes into first XI, McDonald/Johansen replace Norwood on bench)
Sign/replace Piazon - not done
Sign/replace Mitro - not done
Sign/replace Targett - not done

Add depth/quality at CB - DONE (Le Marchand)
Add depth/quality at RW - not done
Add depth/quality at CF - not done

Replace Button - not done
Replace Fredericks - not done
Sell and replace Cisse - not done

Extend Cairney's contract - DONE
Extend Sessegnon's contract - not done
Extend Jokanovic's contract - not done

I make that roughly 80% of our to-do list outstanding with only 20% of the window remaining
The one that actually concerns me the most is the last one. My guess is he will not sign until he see some of the rest of the list completed and in a catch -22 that may be what is holding up Mitro signing...
Quark, strangeness and charm

RoyTund

As said before, judgement reserved until the close of the window. I like the ambition of who we are after but proof will be in the pudding. We need at least 6 more imo.

RoyTund

P.s. I really think quality LB is crucial for our style.

Arthur

Quote from: MikeW on July 20, 2018, 05:57:13 PM
Arthur; sorry but I don't follow your thread.  The fact is we do have to do our business quickly so we need to be acting now - to use your words, 'by the start of the season'.  The season is but a few weeks away and our management team seem to have a hell of a lot to do in a very short time.

Put another way, my point is that we won't go without signing further players - even if we have to sign several (or more) in the final week of the window. In years gone by, when the window closed at the end of August, it seemed to me that threads such as this one and people such as your good self would have been fully satisfied had we signed a sufficient number of players before the opening game for the Club to be able to say: 'We have our squad; we will not be adding to it.' The opening day of the season was, so to speak, the 'cut-off date' that determined whether the Club had gone about its business early enough.

This season, 'Our business is done' is exactly what the Club will be declaring on August 9th and yet, perhaps, those who would have been satisfied in past years are seemingly now saying that we should have assembled all the players we want some three weeks (as it stands today) before the first fixture.

The goalposts have been shifted.

KingofCheese

OMG guys what is going on...which of you are in charge of signing players and negotiating their contracts? Which of you..come on.....get busy, do it faster, you aren't doing anything as far as I can see. We will be relegated by October if you don't get your finger out...the ground will be bulldozed and Fulham will be a name banned by the EU or Brexit or something....

On the other hand we don't know what is actually happening so why waste hot air shouting about things we have no control over or knowledge of? :031:
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Lighthouse

Can I also point out on the subject of players having to have time to get used to each other in a team. We are now in the Prem. Less games means more time between them. Plenty of time to learn between matches instead of The Championship where players had to learn during matches.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

KingofCheese

Quote from: Statto on July 21, 2018, 11:02:49 AM
Quote from: KingofCheese on July 21, 2018, 10:50:15 AM
we don't know what is actually happening so why waste hot air shouting about things we have no control over or knowledge of? :031:

In terms of results/outcomes, we know exactly what's happening: we're not bloody signing anyone.

That is, unless you're suggesting the club has secretly signed 6 more players and sent them to train with the rest of the team in the South of France, but not told us.

Otherwise, we know what's happening. No we don't every detail of what's going on behind the scenes but I don't think there's any dispute on this forum about that. I expect every single poster accepts the club are working very hard. The difference is whereas some posters are content with that, others want results. I fall into the latter camp.

The thing for me is when we went on that spell getting 1 point from 7 games under Magath, I don't remember anyone defending him by saying, "we don't know how hard he's working behind the scenes. He's been working really hard with the lads in training..." etc. None of us gave a to$$ about that. We just wanted him sacked because the results weren't good enough.

Would you like to write to the club and suggest that you take on the negotiations then? Otherwise I cant see that any of us moaning has any effect unless it is just to feel better - are you feeling better?
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Baszab

Well I've done my part by renewing 5 season tickets - I hope that the club via the owner will at least invest a reasonable sum so that FFC don't get the mickey taken out every week and we will be relegated by Xmas given the current squad

If you remember the Southampton cup match we were very much second rate

There are not even enough senior players to have a proper practice match with subs - what do they do, just put a few dustbins out to make up the numbers ?

sunburywhite

Lets put a few things into perspective

SO far Spurs have not signed anyone, Thiei supporters must be seething. Burnley and Everton also havent signed anyone
Man City signed just one player as have Bournemouth, Chelsea, Crystal Palace (and that was on a free)

So its not all go for some clubs
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Woolly Mammoth

But we have the smallest squad, so we are in dire need to strengthen just to hold our own.
Whereas the clubs mentioned above are established Premier LEAGUE clubs, way ahead of us in development. We are the new boys, but we will be the whipping boys if our CRACK Recruitment Unit do not commence finalising deals. If they are in the throws of having a profusion of deals over the line, then that will be reassuring.
Remember Rome burnt while Nero fiddled.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jimsbeerbelly

Quote from: sunburywhite on July 21, 2018, 03:22:57 PM

SO far Spurs have not signed anyone, Thiei supporters must be seething. Burnley and Everton also havent signed anyone
Man City signed just one player as have Bournemouth, Chelsea, Crystal Palace (and that was on a free)

So its not all go for some clubs

LOL, in all due respect, Spurs and City wouldn't not have to sign a single player, and still be more superior than any other team in the Premiership, let alone give us a good shoeing, based on our current squad.

Bournemouth, Palace already have Premiership ready sides, not quite sure why you've mentioned Chelsea, they're in the same position as City and Spurs.

Bottom line is, we're just back, we've not got a premiership ready team, they've not even played together yet, and 20 days isn't long enough. If we've not another 5-6 players through the door next week, start to worry.

Woolly Mammoth

With your permission sunburywhite, I think three of us just have put a few things in to perspective. 👍⚽️

Never forget your Roots.

Arthur

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 21, 2018, 04:38:41 PM

With your permission sunburywhite, I think three of us just have put a few things in to perspective. 👍⚽️

While not claiming to answer for Sunbury, if the transfer window is, for whatever reason, still waiting to 'catch fire', it affects newly-promoted clubs no less than it does established ones.

In general, in my opinion, the later it gets in the window, the less of an upper hand the selling club/player-looking-for-a-move holds over the buying club.

Of course, in the words of the old maxim: Where there's a will, there's a way. In football, however, the 'way' to usurp the balance of power early in the window often seems to be either to pay exorbitant fees/players' salaries or to target players who would otherwise only be coveted by clubs of a lower status and who are likely jump at the opportunity to sign.

sunburywhite

Not at all Wolly

CHelsea, Spurs and Man City all have to upgrade their squad regardless of how good it already is

If they dont they wont keep in front of the rest
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: sunburywhite on July 21, 2018, 06:05:01 PM

Not at all Wolly

CHelsea, Spurs and Man City all have to upgrade their squad regardless of how good it already is

If they dont they wont keep in front of the rest

That's not the issue, it's what we do that counts, and currently at the moment we are a little way behind schedule, and the names Woolly, or Mr Mammoth, or Sir, or if you wish, some people who really know me call me God.

Never forget your Roots.