Main Menu

Today's Game

Started by joemole, July 21, 2018, 02:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Statto on July 21, 2018, 10:48:06 PM
Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on July 21, 2018, 10:35:17 PM
You're so naive it's worrying.

You think attaching high calibre players is easy? It takes time. Pre season is about fitness first and foremost.

BS. If you want to get fit you go on an exercise bike. You don't spend £100k flying the squad to Switzerland and hiring a whole hotel for a week. You go to the trouble of playing pre-season fixtures to get the team ready for competitive matches, to get them used to playing with each other. You don't achieve any of that when you send out a team half full of kids to get spanked without having an attempt on target. All we learned today is we need a lot more bodies in because those we have will get hammered by 4+ goals against 30-50% of the teams we play next year. At best today was pointless and had no effect on the team, positive or negative. At worst it was dispiriting.

Match fitness is different to fitness. The whole squad is fit. They're footballers.

We knew we needed bodies anyway. There is no point playing small teams and learning nothing. Playing high calibre teams prepares us for the challenges next season. 

Tooting legend

Why don't you join another forum, your stupid comments arent welcome on here. Just get a bloody grip

wheelerdeeler

You think attaching high calibre players is easy? It takes time. Pre season is about fitness first and foremost.

BS. If you want to get fit you go on an exercise bike. You don't spend £100k flying the squad to Switzerland and hiring a whole hotel for a week. You go to the trouble of playing pre-season fixtures to get the team ready for competitive matches, to get them used to playing with each other. You don't achieve any of that when you send out a team half full of kids to get spanked without having an attempt on target. All we learned today is we need a lot more bodies in because those we have will get hammered by 4+ goals against 30-50% of the teams we play next year. At best today was pointless and had no effect on the team, positive or negative. At worst it was dispiriting.

There's a massive difference between being Match Fit and being "Gym Fit". Especially with a game like today we've been put through the ringer and Lyon pressed the life out of us, that can only be a good thing to prepare us for what we'll face in the Prem. First 60 minutes today I'd bet at least 5, maybe 6 start against Palace; Christie, Le Marchand/Ream, Seri, Cairney, Sessegnon. Maybe Bettinelli if Jokanovic starts him over Fabri and Le Marchand at LB and Ream at LCB depending on who else comes in.

So at least half of the team who'll start for us against Palace held a Champions League level side (a side who beat the team who finished 8th in the Prem last season twice) to a 0-0 for 60 minutes. It would be one thing if we'd gone completely backwards from a results standpoint like say losing 3-0 to Derby or 2-1 to AFC Wimbledon. But we haven't, because amazingly a Champions League level team is much better than a newly promoted one who are playing with pretty much a group of Championship players and ran away with it when said newly promoted team brought on their kids. We've got more from the game today than we would have thrashing an Austrian 5th Division team 22-0 where the Goalkeeper literally gives up and lets goals in.

We should have at least two more in for the Germany tournament next week (Fabri and Mitrovic) and then another 2-4 minimum for when we play Sampdoria and Celta Vigo. It's not been a conscious thing to stagger the Pre-Season to give our kids a proper chance, but that's where we've ended up because of how slow the market's been in general- and amazingly, it'll speed up the closer we get to the deadline (crazy, I know).

St. Andrews White

Quote from: Tooting legend on July 21, 2018, 10:23:20 PM
We went at half time 0-0 against a strong Lyon team then changes get made and things change its a training session. Take a chill pill Jesus, we've just made the 2 signing with more to come. Just relax. I'm seriously starting to hate the negativity on this board and it's just a preseason game. Get a bloody grip
+1

Yes that wasn't great, but Lyon are a damn good side. We will get bodies in, but they won't all be ready for Palace.

People forget we're used to doing our business late on in August, and now we're being asked to have everything by early August. That's a big change, so to get them in for the first is in itself impressive.

Will they all have gelled by then? Of course not, but at least they'll be here.

We held our own until the youngsters came on and players made silly errors. That's what pre-season is for, to make and learn from those errors and blood through the youngsters.

People seriously need to calm down, there's 3 weeks left of the window. Some seem to think we're already relegated before a ball has been kicked!

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

FFCSteve

I find it laughable some of the optimistic reasoning and dismay at people getting concerned!
There were two teams on the field tonight. Did Lyon look like they didn't want to win the match? They were there to shake off the rust and gain some fitness and sharpness! Which in my mind is what we were there for.
We were awful! End of! What good came out of that game for us? Except prove were not ready!
I don't mind loosing these games, as long as we look like were in the game. And gain some of the benefits Lyon probably did.
Time is short. People get anxious and loose patience, because we are always late bringing players in!
I don't think we will fair so well having a poor first half of the season in the Premiership like we did in the Championship!
We need to hit the ground running.
COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

Deeping_white

Quote from: Statto on July 21, 2018, 10:56:27 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on July 21, 2018, 10:20:58 PM
We played two champions league teams

30%-50% of the teams in the Premier League are as good as the two [Turkish and French!] Champions League teams we've just played. Are we happy getting spanked 3-0 and 4-0 every other game next season then? Or do you not care as long as we only lose 1-0 in the games in between?   

with essentially two of the halves with our academy players out

Er, that's our squad mate!

No doubt you'll take the view that Joka is doing so to prove a point or because he doesn't have any players, because you've been peddling that view for weeks now

Not sure I've ever said that but never mind

Lyon have a better squad than half of the premier league for Christ sake

See comment #1 above

Statto you seem to have some odd misplaced superiority complex when it comes to Fulham in that you magically expect us to beat established CL teams with a newly promoted squad. This isn't the championship and we're not one of the big boys yet. You try to use the point about playing academy playiers against me, but tell me, when do you expect to see 6 players under the age of 19 playing in a PL game? You've spent the time since your short lived hiatus from this board slagging off the club for everything imaginable, the comments you were making about the squad before the game were laughable and you seemingly topped them post game.

Tooting legend

Our next game is the 1st August we are flying back tomorrow signings will be made then a weeks training before the game a week on Wednesday then the Celta Vigo game on the Saturday where's the problem. People on this forum just need chill and sit back and think before opening their mouths.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Tooting legend on July 21, 2018, 11:14:21 PM
Our next game is the 1st August we are flying back tomorrow signings will be made then a weeks training before the game a week on Wednesday then the Celta Vigo game on the Saturday where's the problem. People on this forum just need chill and sit back and think before opening their mouths.

We've got the Cup of Traditions in Germany next weekend first. It's not on the website because I'm assuming we don't know who we're playing yet out of Duisburg, Bilbao and Fiorentina.

Tooting legend

I don't think it is going ahead it was on the website now it's been taken down

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Statto on July 21, 2018, 11:12:08 PM
Quote from: FFCSteve on July 21, 2018, 11:07:54 PM
I find it laughable some of the optimistic reasoning, and dismay at people getting concerned!
There were two teams on the field tonight. Did Lyon look like they didn't want to win the match? They were there to shake off the rust and gain some fitness and sharpness! Which in my mind is what we were there for.
We were awful! End of! What good came out of that game for us? Except prove were not ready!
I don't mind loosing these games, as long as we look like were in the game. And gain some of the benefits Lyon probably did.
Time is short. People get anxious and loose patience, because we are always late bringing players in!
I don't think we will fair so well having a poor first half of the season in the Premiership like we did in the Championship!
We need to hit the ground running.

dont waste your breath mate, anything other than 100% positivity will just get dismissed by the same few posters on here at the moment. what do you think this is, some kind of "forum" where you can just come on and express an opinion about FFC? Nah

I'm getting fed up of your constant whinging. It's a friendly, we lost, it looks Fabri and Mitrovic are joining, that's good. Obviously things are happening behind the scenes based on the rumours. I had this battle last summer, we aren't in a bubble and as such market forces are at play. Newcastle want to sell Mitro but need a forward as they can't go into the season with Joselu so need to sign Rondon to enable the sale to happen... same re: Fabri/ Ospina...

Jonaldiniho 88

pre season doesnt matter, but it can do a lot. im not reading anything into it as who knows what slav or the board are looking at? fulham have gained success over two seasons by being a team with a distinct style and to quote timmy "telepathic" understanding of each other. we will not and wont have that after this preseason. that is a concern. however, we took the league by storm, created club history with a few signings in january last year so to rule late signings as too late is stupid. there is no reason to fall out just as everyone sat next to me at any game see's, feels and reacts differently. we will see what happens and some will prove to be correct but most will prove to be wrong. thats not because we have tactical geniouses amongst us. just enough chimps write shakespeare. i love everyone's different opinion, just dont likev when people take themself too serious and disregard others views. coyw.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Statto on July 21, 2018, 11:38:18 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on July 21, 2018, 11:11:41 PM
You've spent the time since your short lived hiatus from this board slagging off the club for everything imaginable

making sh1t up about my posts again
i have complained about the lack of transfer activity
if that is "everything imaginable" you must have a very poor imagination
getting fed up with being slagged off for moaning - mainly from other posters, not you in fairness. marcel gecov and his sock puppet wheeler dealer
if you look at my 5000+ posts you will see as many positive as negative, depending on what's happening at that particular time
and of the negative posts, i'd wager 90% of them have turned out to be justified with hindsight

You've complained about the lack of transfer activity completely ignoring the fact it's been a slow window all around. Three Prem teams haven't even made a signing yet. Our need to sign players doesn't change that fact unless you want to sign players who won't improve, or barely improve our chances of staying up. Jack Rodwell's on trial at Watford, if you just want bodies in we could always give his agent a ring.

As I said in another post, we should have at least two more starters in for the Duisburg tournament next weekend in Fabri and Mitrovic and then we should have our full squad (or close to with the odd deadline day deal to follow) for the Sampdoria and Celta Vigo games the following week, and if we don't then I'll be on the same boat you are. In the meantime we've given a lot of minutes to some of our kids who will at the least be playing for us in the Cup and be on the fringes like S. Sessegnon and O'Riley and gotten minutes into the legs of Cairney (that's already an improvement on last summer), Sessegnon etc. who'll be starting for us.

If the transfer window ended at midnight then I'd be as angry as you clearly are, but the fact is we can only go at the pace the market dictates because we don't have unlimited money. Liverpool and City can go straight in at top dollar and get the player they want, everyone below them in the food chain is more reliant on other clubs getting in replacements before they'll release a player.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 21, 2018, 11:50:05 PM
You've spent the time since your short lived hiatus from this board slagging off the club for everything imaginable

getting fed up with being slagged off for moaning - mainly from other posters, not you in fairness. marcel gecov and his sock puppet wheeler dealer
if you look at my 5000+ posts you will see as many positive as negative, depending on what's happening at that particular time
and of the negative posts, i'd wager 90% of them have turned out to be justified with hindsight

You've complained about the lack of transfer activity completely ignoring the fact it's been a slow window all around. Three Prem teams haven't even made a signing yet. Our need to sign players doesn't change that fact unless you want to sign players who won't improve, or barely improve our chances of staying up. Jack Rodwell's on trial at Watford, if you just want bodies in we could always give his agent a ring.

As I said in another post, we should have at least two more starters in for the Duisburg tournament next weekend in Fabri and Mitrovic and then we should have our full squad (or close to with the odd deadline day deal to follow) for the Sampdoria and Celta Vigo games the following week, and if we don't then I'll be on the same boat you are. In the meantime we've given a lot of minutes to some of our kids who will at the least be playing for us in the Cup and be on the fringes like S. Sessegnon and O'Riley and gotten minutes into the legs of Cairney (that's already an improvement on last summer), Sessegnon etc. who'll be starting for us.

If the transfer window ended at midnight then I'd be as angry as you clearly are, but the fact is we can only go at the pace the market dictates because we don't have unlimited money. Liverpool and City can go straight in at top dollar and get the player they want, everyone below them in the food chain is more reliant on other clubs getting in replacements before they'll release a player.

+1. Perfectly put.

Jonaldiniho 88

our full squad? i love what you say until that. we need a lb and a cb beyond a keeper that i dont think we need. id love a great keeper but feel betts is good enough. in fairness the more i analyise your post the less i agree with it.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on July 22, 2018, 12:09:19 AM

our full squad? i love what you say until that. we need a lb and a cb beyond a keeper that i dont think we need. id love a great keeper but feel betts is good enough. in fairness the more i analyise your post the less i agree with it.

Not sure if you've misinterpreted what I've said on the "full squad" thing, because if we didn't have close to a full squad by the time we play Sampdoria and Celta then I would be worried because we'd be in a lot of trouble. By pretty much everyone's accounts Fabri's a done deal and we're just waiting for the announcement so we're signing a Keeper regardless of your opinion on it (and we'd need to sign one at least as a back-up with Button gone because I'd rather send Rodak out on loan for him to play every week).

I've said it so many times on this forum I've lost count, I think/expect us to make 6 signings between now and August the 9th and rely on the players already at the club to provide some depth before reevaluating and adding in January depending on what we need. A Keeper (Fabri), A Centre-Back (?), A Left-Back (Targett, Augustinsson or someone else), A Back-Up DM (?), A RW (Bolasie, Malcom, Schurrle etc.) and a Striker (Mitrovic).

Denver Fulham

Today went fine. Our current "starters" -- 4+ of whom won't be starting against Palace -- held up ok against a good team for 60 mins.

Everyone knows we need more players. I'm sure management is aware of that, too. If we look bad against Celta Vigo in the final warmup match, I'll start to get more worried, and even then, it's just a friendly.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on July 22, 2018, 12:22:11 AM
Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on July 22, 2018, 12:09:19 AM

Not sure if you've misinterpreted what I've said on the "full squad" thing, because if we didn't have close to a full squad by the time we play Sampdoria and Celta then I would be worried because we'd be in a lot of trouble. By pretty much everyone's accounts Fabri's a done deal and we're just waiting for the announcement so we're signing a Keeper regardless of your opinion on it (and we'd need to sign one at least as a back-up with Button gone because I'd rather send Rodak out on loan for him to play every week).

I've said it so many times on this forum I've lost count, I think/expect us to make 6 signings between now and August the 9th and rely on the players already at the club to provide some depth before reevaluating and adding in January depending on what we need. A Keeper (Fabri), A Centre-Back (?), A Left-Back (Targett, Augustinsson or someone else), A Back-Up DM (?), A RW (Bolasie, Malcom, Schurrle etc.) and a Striker (Mitrovic).

i probably have. not in the mood to argue. we need more in the positions you have mentioned and we seem to be strengthening our strengths imo. slavisa has proven his championship credentials. im keenly awauting to see if he can prove to be a pl manager. a few from this league have done rather well of late.

Lyle from Hangeland

Never worry about friendlies. The team will be just fine.

Twig

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on July 21, 2018, 10:58:55 PM

Match fitness is different to fitness. The whole squad is fit. They're footballers.

We knew we needed bodies anyway. There is no point playing small teams and learning nothing. Playing high calibre teams prepares us for the challenges next season. 

Nonsense.

Twig

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on July 22, 2018, 01:53:48 AM
Never worry about friendlies. The team will be just fine.

Errr what team is that then?