News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Failed to score in three out of four preseason friendlies to date...

Started by General, July 22, 2018, 12:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Bringing in just mitrovic on his own won't be enough up front for us... as desperate as we are for him.

Our strikers currently on our books WILL be found wanting in the premiership and whilst we all know you can play the best football and have a solid defence (which is still a way off for us), you're nothing without the ability to score and actually win a game.

Can't rely on our midfield that much.

Out of interest anyone at the lyon game - sounds like our first team held them until the 65-70th minute and then substitutions were made and we started conceding.

Whilst Seri was on we didn't concede.. then the penalty was apparently soft? Then we put our youth team on and they conceded too easily? Or am I trying to be too much of an optimist.

hovewhite

Quote from: General on July 22, 2018, 12:16:18 PM

Bringing in just mitrovic on his own won't be enough up front for us... as desperate as we are for him.

Our strikers currently on our books WILL be found wanting in the premiership and whilst we all know you can play the best football and have a solid defence (which is still a way off for us), you're nothing without the ability to score and actually win a game.

Out of interest anyone at the lyon game - sounds like our first team held them until the 65-70th minute and then substitutions were made and we started conceding.

Whilst Seri was on we didn't concede.. then the penalty was apparently soft? Then we put our youth team on and they conceded too easily? Or am I trying to be too much of an optimist.
hope your right!

Lighthouse

Up until January of last season we were all saying the same thing about the forwards. This is nothing new and it was a disgrace we only found a forward at the last moment in that window. But until this window is over I don't see the point in over stating the obvious. We need a better spine to the side at the very minimum as we have done for some time. We need a left back and a right sided forward/ midfielder. We know this and we wait in anticipation.

Most of the business will be done later on and we just hope it is done.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

hovewhite

The one criticism of our transfer committee is think there seems to be so many boxes to tick by to many people, looking at the mitro saga it seems he wants to play here,slav wants him it's after this the next part of the committee aren't in sync with slav and can understand why slav comes out with his frustrations in public and I think this is the problem signing a new contract.This is just my view of it and like the Khan's and trust them  in long term view of the club,but think there is a problem still above slav in transfers.

KingofCheese

Quote from: hovewhite on July 22, 2018, 12:40:56 PM
The one criticism of our transfer committee is think there seems to be so many boxes to tick by to many people, looking at the mitro saga it seems he wants to play here,slav wants him it's after this the next part of the committee aren't in sync with slav and can understand why slav comes out with his frustrations in public and I think this is the problem signing a new contract.This is just my view of it and like the Khan's and trust them  in long term view of the club,but think there is a problem still above slav in transfers.

The ridiculous price of all players can't be helping. A player that went for 10mil a couple of years ago is not being touted at 18-30 mil and all these TV channels getting into the bidding wars is only going to increase this upward trend. Look at boxing. I was listening to Barry Hearn talking about Wilder fighting Joshua. He was saying that wilder was wasting his time on the 10 million pound fights when he should be looking to make a billion dollar fight a matter of course in the future.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Woolly Mammoth

I couldn't agree more, it is what it is, whether we agree or not that's the way cost and prices have materialised. But if you stand still you get overtaken, and currently we are in the slipstream of most of the clubs we face in the Premier League.
Whether we like it or not it's dog eat dog, and at the moment we are a mongrel, and there is a pack of pedigree show dogs round the corner waiting to come and bark at us, and to cock their legs and rain on our parade, and gobble us up.
The only way we are going to put a lead on them, is to secure our targets as quickly and as smoothly and as efficiently as the club can.
The next 18 days could be a hell of an enjoyable ride, let's hope so.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Who among us at Wembley in May thought that it would be so difficult for us to get a Premiership team together, beginning to wonder if those who thought we were better off in the Championship may have been right.

hovewhite

At what cost to attract players on huge salarys,now by speculation when Seri says he joined because of the money(apparently now biggest earner)how far further to buy the dream.
I no a lot of you are happy with that.
I will go along with that,but would worry about that route for any club more when it's my club,as don't wish to see us in a clubs position like villa.
Feel sorry for fans being sold the dream only to be let down by the custodians of clubs in board rooms.
Hope just like me all the other old timers that have been at the cottage supporting our club are taking note of the Khan revelotion.

Lyle from Hangeland

Quote from: filham on July 22, 2018, 05:02:33 PM
Who among us at Wembley in May thought that it would be so difficult for us to get a Premiership team together, beginning to wonder if those who thought we were better off in the Championship may have been right.

Thankfully, it doesn't matter to the Club or anyone else that you're "right". It's a matter of fact that Fulham is playing in the Premier League for 2018-2019. This really is about to go down.

Lyle from Hangeland

Of course Slav isn't allowed to to bring in whomever he wants for whatever he wants. He's not the owner and doesn't know what the finances actually are. Fulham is lucky to have had the Al Fayeds and now the Khans. If it wasn't for them the Club might be in League One or League Two. The good ole days, I guess.

hovewhite

Quote from: Lyle from Hangeland on July 22, 2018, 05:52:01 PM

Of course Slav isn't allowed to to bring in whomever he wants for whatever he wants. He's not the owner and doesn't know what the finances actually are. Fulham is lucky to have had the Al Fayeds and now the Khans. If it wasn't for them the Club might be in League One or League Two. The good ole days, I guess.
yes your right remember the old days course I do!but I love this club.
Remember robson,dodgin,mitchell,mullery,best,marsh. All of em!
Watching Fulham for me is entertainment.
Slavs team is entertainment and love it with a passion,cairney,ay ayites goal v villa that's why it's the best money i spend all year.
I don't mind what level it is.
Passion comes from an adrenalin rush watching a football match with Fulham coming out to win a game no matter WHO.

Sir Alec of good Stock

We signed Gordon Davies from Merthyr Tydfil for £2.500 plus the agreement that we would play a friendly at Penydarren Park to help raise funds for a cash strapped club. I wouldn't have thought that that transfer took long to go through as it suited both clubs, the player, and I doubt that Ivor had an agent.
We are now signing players for £20 million+ who will have more than one option to consider and an agent trying to get as much for themselves as their player and so things will inevitably take longer.

Woolly Mammoth

Far too many boxes to tick, which only results in boxing us in. It would not happen in the penalty box. Somebody needs to box their ears.
All it results in, apart from delaying and jeopardising transfers, is to undermine the Manager/Coach which isn't very bright when you come to think about it.

Never forget your Roots.

davew

I wasn't at Wembley and am not sure how that is relevant? It would always be difficult for Fulham to get a Premiership team together, it shouldn't be, but up until now it seems that is the way it is going! It isn't about money, for SK money is no object, the problem seems to be the number of players available and where they want to go, Fulham for whatever reason are not near the top of the list of where players want to go to. At the moment on the squad we have, I am thinking which position in the bottom 3 will we finish? Not 1 recognised PL striker in our squad (so far), Mitro would be a great signing for us, but we need 1 more as well! The pre season friendlies really reveal the weaknesses, still time for FFC to fill the gaps, but will they?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: davew on July 22, 2018, 08:55:39 PM

I wasn't at Wembley and am not sure how that is relevant? It would always be difficult for Fulham to get a Premiership team together, it shouldn't be, but up until now it seems that is the way it is going! It isn't about money, for SK money is no object, the problem seems to be the number of players available and where they want to go, Fulham for whatever reason are not near the top of the list of where players want to go to. At the moment on the squad we have, I am thinking which position in the bottom 3 will we finish? Not 1 recognised PL striker in our squad (so far), Mitro would be a great signing for us, but we need 1 more as well! The pre season friendlies really reveal the weaknesses, still time for FFC to fill the gaps, but will they?

That is the 64,000 Dollar Question 💰, even though we have millions available to spend.

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

Quote from: hovewhite on July 22, 2018, 05:31:30 PM
At what cost to attract players on huge salarys,now by speculation when Seri says he joined because of the money(apparently now biggest earner)how far further to buy the dream.
I no a lot of you are happy with that.
I will go along with that,but would worry about that route for any club more when it's my club,as don't wish to see us in a clubs position like villa.
Feel sorry for fans being sold the dream only to be let down by the custodians of clubs in board rooms.
Hope just like me all the other old timers that have been at the cottage supporting our club are taking note of the Khan revelotion.

He didn't say he joined because of the money..
He said he joined because he liked Fulham's style of play, and because he was told he would have an important role to play in that -'Fulham valued me' he said.

That's what he said, anyway. Presumably he could have earned big money wherever he went,  even more than Fulham could pay him.

Whatever  he cost and is paid, if helps us survive in the Prem, then it will be worth it If the club don't spend big to get  top players in, they will be/are criticised too.

I'm also a long term fan of the club and remember Haynes, Robson, Mullery etc - used to queue for their autographs,and Khan seems  quite good as an owner, standing by the club  though relegation and FFP, and now  overseeing us getting back into the Prem - by no means a foregone conclusion- at one point we seemed more like dropping down through the divisions - again.

St Eve

Never a doubt in my mind and still isn't

Skatzoffc

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 22, 2018, 12:27:30 PM
Up until January of last season we were all saying the same thing about the forwards. This is nothing new and it was a disgrace we only found a forward at the last moment in that window. But until this window is over I don't see the point in over stating the obvious. We need a better spine to the side at the very minimum as we have done for some time. We need a left back and a right sided forward/ midfielder. We know this and we wait in anticipation.

Most of the business will be done later on and we just hope it is done.

I agree Lighthouse.

Unfortunately, we've known this for 3 seasons and it still hasn't been sorted.

COYW!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !