more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (04/08/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 04, 2018, 06:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Travel Disruption

This weekend there will be no District Line services between South Kensington/Edgware Road and Wimbledon/Kensington Olympia/Ealing Broadway/Richmond.

Therefore, fans will not be able to travel to the Celta Vigo game via Putney Bridge and should make alternative arrangements.

Putney mainline train station is approximately a 20-30 minute walk to Craven Cottage, as is Hammersmith tube station which is serviced by the Circle, Piccadilly and Hammersmith & City lines.

Fans are therefore advised to plan and allow for plenty of time for their journey to and from Craven Cottage. Please check the latest updates before you set off for the game.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/03/travel-disruption

WhiteJC

Premier League 2018-19 preview No 9: Fulham

Slavisa Jokanovic secured promotion through the play-offs but, unlike many in his situation, is aiming higher than survival

Fulham are likely to be aiming higher than the usual 17th-place target of many promoted clubs. Photograph: Christof Koepsel/Bongarts/Getty Images

Guardian writers' predicted position: 15th (NB: this is not necessarily Barry Glendenning's prediction but the average of our writers' tips)

Last season's position: N/A

Odds to win the league (via Oddschecker): 1,000-1

Promotion to the Premier League could scarcely have been further from the minds of the Fulham fans who made the journey to Bramall Lane on a dreary Tuesday towards the end of November last year. Fulham, winless in five matches, were in the bottom third of the table.

Yet that night Fulham beat Sheffield United by the odd goal of nine in an epic encounter that got their Championship campaign on track. Two wins and two defeats later they embarked on a remarkable 23-match unbeaten run that ended on the last day of the season at struggling Birmingham, leaving their supporters on tenterhooks and fearing the worst. The surprise defeat consigned them to the play-offs which they went on to navigate, beating Aston Villa at Wembley far more comfortably than the 1-0 scoreline suggests.

Only 17 years old but already making his 50th appearance for Fulham that night in Sheffield, Ryan Sessegnon scored a hat-trick and his run of form prompted many observers to identify him as a potential wild card for England's World Cup squad in Russia. He did not make the cut but, now old enough to drink in a bar, vote and get a tattoo, the coveted left-back turned winger from Roehampton is just one of many reasons Fulham fans have to be extremely cheerful before their return to the Premier League after a four-year absence.

Sessegnon was not the only player with obvious star quality to help them secure promotion. At Wembley against Villa he provided a defence-splitting assist for Tom Cairney to score the only goal of the game with a cool finish. The 27-year-old Cairney, by his own amusing admission "a poor man's David Silva", had acknowledged the debt he owes the manager, Slavisa Jokanovic, for entrusting him with the role of midfield heartbeat following years in which he was underused by a series of managers at various clubs who might now be cursing themselves for failing to spot his obvious qualities.

While Cairney and Sessegnon both made the Championship team of the season, alongside the since departed Ryan Fredericks, it was another player, the ball-playing American centre-back Tim Ream, who was voted player of the season by the Fulham fans.

While most promoted teams are generally content with survival in their first season back in the Premier League, there is a feeling that, like Wolves, Fulham have loftier ambitions. Reported to be worth over £5bn, their American owner Shahid Khan made all the right noises before the play-off final, stating his team "want to get to the Premier League and then our goal is not to skate by, our goal is to win". Such talk is notoriously cheap but money, he said, would not be a limitation. However, it would have to be spent "wisely and the right way".

The responsibility for this prudence lies largely with his son, Tony, the head of player recruitment who works with the data analyst James Lovell, chief scout Brian Talbot, chief executive Alistair Mackintosh and Jokanovic to identify players whose jibs they consider to be particularly well tailored in the Fulham style. Potential signings must fit the club's strict recruitment model and be available for – at least by the increasingly ludicrous standards of Premier League commerce – a fair price. The disastrous panic purchase of their one-time record signing, Kostas Mitroglou, early in the Khan regime (but extremely late in the 2014 January transfer window) is a mistake Fulham seem commendably determined not to repeat.

Social media-fuelled obsession with their team's forays into the market mean it is no longer entirely facetious to suggest that for many fans, the summer window has now eclipsed both domestic cup competitions in terms of competitiveness and prestige.

Only time will tell – and Wolves supporters may beg to differ – but there is already a strong argument to be made that Fulham are "winning" the current window, having bolstered the side that came up with what look to be a series of extremely shrewd acquisitions.

Their first was Jean Michaël Seri, a classy midfield creator from Nice who had also attracted interest from Chelsea and Barcelona and was purchased for a club record £30m. As comfortable playing as a midfield anchor as he is further up the pitch, Seri seems likely to play in an advanced role alongside Cairney but further back against the stronger sides. A statement of intent if ever there was one, his arrival may well have convinced subsequent marquee summer signings that Fulham mean business.

Jean Michaël Seri is a versatile midfielder who almost joined Barcelona last year. Photograph: Kieran McManus/BPI/Rex/Shutterstock

The arrival of André Schürrle, a World Cup-winner in 2014 who had plummeted down the pecking order at Borussia Dortmund, on a two-year loan deal looks to be a free swing for the club. Having spent 18 months at Chelsea, the German left-wing is likely to find himself in comparatively alien territory on the right flank.
Advertisement

With Sessegnon having established tenure of the left-wing following his move forward from full-back, Schürrle will probably have to rebuild his reputation on the right, a position from where he once scored seven goals in 10 matches during his last spell in England.

In defence Fulham have brought in the Spanish goalkeeper Fabri on the cheap from Besiktas and his superior distribution may earn him the nod over Marcus Bettinelli in a side whose neat passing game is often reliant on getting the ball forward quickly through the full-backs. The purchase of the central defender Alfie Mawson from Swansea represents another coup, while Maxime Le Merchand, also in from Nice, can play in the heart of defence or at left-back.

Up front, Jokanovic has finally secured the services of his compatriot Aleksandar Mitrovic, bringing him in on a five-year deal from Newcastle. A firm fan favourite after only four months at the club, the steely Serb striker's 12 goals during a loan spell went a long way towards helping Fulham secure promotion. More than just a goalscorer, Mitrovic is a tireless runner, holds the ball up well and is a strong and aggressive presence who will slot into the intense front-line press Fulham have been employing in pre-season. He seems genuinely delighted to have made his loan move permanent.

On paper, at least, Fulham look well-equipped enough not only to survive but to thrive in a division where at least half of the teams, for all Sky's bluster about the Premier League's astonishing quality, are not very good.

As they chased automatic promotion with Cardiff last season, many of the Welsh club's fans were understandably piqued by the media's apparent preference to see Fulham go up because they have a picturesque riverside stadium in London that reporters enjoy visiting. The team who call Craven Cottage home promise to be equally pleasant on the eye.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/03/premier-league-2018-19-preview-no-9-fulham

WhiteJC

Fulham ask Frankfurt for Jetro Willems asking price, keen on Dutch fullback

Fulham are popping up all over the European rumour mill at the moment, and it would appear the Premier League club are looking for a left back.

Friday's edition of Marca reports a loan approach for Real Madrid's Theo Hernandez, which would see the English club pay €2m for a season and cover the player's wages.

In Germany, Bild believe the club remain interested in Hertha Berlin's Marvin Plattenhardt.

Friday's edition of De Telegraaf claims Fulham have asked Eintracht Frankfurt to name an asking price for Jetro Willems.

The 24 year old left back has repeatedly been linked with a move to the Premier League, but nothing has come off for him in the past.

De Telegraaf say the switch would be a 'dream' move for Willems, given his desire to play at the top level of English football.

Now he'll have to wait and see if Frankfurt are prepared to negotiate a sale, having only signed him from PSV a year ago.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-ask-frankfurt-jetro-willems-asking-price-keen-dutch-fullback/

WhiteJC

Card Only Kiosks

Following feedback from a fans forum that was organised by the Club and the Fulham Supporters' Trust at the end of last season, an action point raised by supporters was to identify ways in which the Club could speed up the queuing time and service at food and drinks kiosks around the ground.

From this Saturday, for the friendly against Celta Vigo and going forward for the entire season, two thirds of the total number of kiosks inside the ground will be equipped with card only payment methods incorporating contactless, apple and android pay.

Card only kiosks will be located in all four stands and are clearly identifiable by the 'Card Only' signs above the counter.

There will still be several cash payment facilities available. We thank supporters for their input and believe that these changes will help improve the match day experience and reduce queuing times.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/03/card-only-kiosks

WhiteJC

Fulham join hunt for Madrid defender

Newly-promoted Premier League club Fulham are set to rival Real Sociedad for the signature or Real Madrid defender Theo Hernandez.

According to Marca, La Real believed they had struck a loan deal this week for the 20-year-old left-back, who Madrid signed from cross-city rivals Atletico last summer in a deal worth a reported €26m.

However, Fulham have now entered the race to sign the Marseille-born player on loan and are prepared to pay his full salary for the next 12 months, besides paying Real Madrid €2m for his services.

Unsurprisingly, any agreement between Madrid and the Basque club has now been held up as the European champions would want Sociedad to pay at least part of the player's wages, whilst they also claim they have received up to seven offers for Hernandez.

Even so, Hernandez's preferred option is Real Sociedad, something both he and his agent are understood to have communicated to the Madrid hierarchy.

See the latest La Liga predictions and betting tips with Eurotips.co.uk

https://www.football-espana.net/73010/fulham-join-hunt-madrid-defender

WhiteJC

Brentford to bank £600,000 from Mawson deal

Brentford are due £600,000 from Fulham's £15m deal to sign ex-Bees defender Alfie Mawson from Swansea.

Brentford are owed 40% of a sell-on fee agreed by Barnsley when the Yorkshire club sold him to Swansea in 2016.

That sell-on clause entitled Barnsley to 15% of any profit above £5m Swansea made on Mawson, meaning the Tykes are now set to receive £1.5m following his move to Fulham.

Brentford are due £600,000 from Fulham's £15m deal to sign ex-Bees defender Alfie Mawson from Swansea.

Brentford are owed 40% of a sell-on fee agreed by Barnsley when the Yorkshire club sold him to Swansea in 2016.

That sell-on clause entitled Barnsley to 15% of any profit above £5m Swansea made on Mawson, meaning the Tykes are now set to receive £1.5m following his move to Fulham.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/brentford/brentford-to-bank-600000-from-mawson-deal

WhiteJC

Fulham keen to sign two Bundesliga defender

Fulham have set their sights on two Bundesliga defenders, according to reports emerging across Europe.

Bild claim that the Cottagers are one of four Premier League sides to express an interest in Marvin Plattenhardt.

Leicester City, Watford and Bournemouth are all in the hunt to sign the German international from Hertha Berlin this summer.

Plattenhardt had previously attracted the interest of Everton, but their move for Lucas Digne means that any deal is unlikely to happen with the Goodison Park outfit.

According to De Telegraaf, as cited on Sport Witness, Jetro Willems has also emerged as a transfer target for the Whites.

They have reportedly enquired over a possible deal for the Dutch international, who has been linked with moves away from Frankfurt for some time now.

Having only joined the Bundesliga outfit last summer, the former PSV defender is unlikely to come cheaply for the Premier League new boys.

https://readbundesliga.com/2018/08/03/fulham-keen-to-sign-two-bundesliga-defender/

WhiteJC

Mawson 'delighted' to be at Fulham

Alfie Mawson has professed himself delighted to be a Fulham player – admitting that it was a 'relief' to finally secure his protracted transfer from Swansea City yesterday.

The 24 year-old centre back has moved back to London for an initial fee of around £15m and told FulhamFCTV that he was keen to sign for the Cottagers once he heard of their interest in his services.

It's a relief to be honest. It's been a long transfer window – there's a lot been going on behind the scenes. I'm just delighted to finally get [it] over the line and to finally say I'm a Fulham player.

It was a bit of a bittersweet one, obviously just finishing the season how I did with Swansea, with relegation, which was obviously an awful stage in my career and then the clubs got in touch and agents got involved. It took its time and there were a few things on the way that had to be sorted out, but at the end of the day I'm here and I'm delighted to say that.

Mawson revealed that moving back to the capital, where he grew up, was a big part of his decision to pick Fulham over other potential Premier League suitors.

It's been a thing for me, my family and my missus since I went up north. It showed me that I want to set up my family and move forward down here. It's why we want to have our forever home again, so it is handy to be able to start that sooner rather than later. It is nice to be home.

The new signing said he was 'excited' by the prospect of playing for Fulham even before his new club went on their summer spending splurge and he believes that the strong additions will help the Whites get ready for the serious challenge of top flight football.

I was excited before they started bringing in the big signings that have been made. I think with the owners and the way they look at things – never any panic, play the right football, quality passing. It was a joy to watch last year and I'm excited about the way that's going to come into the Premier League. It's a totally different animal, it is a bigger test – the teams speak for themselves, the quality is there – it is going to be good to be a part of that and taking the style of play which got the club promoted in a great way, taking that forward and testing ourselves against top, top teams.

Mawson disclosed that he had lengthy conversations with Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic before agreeing to make the move and emphasised that the Serbian's commitment to bringing him to Craven Cottage was crucial.

He was just saying, 'I really want to get you in, it's good to have an English player here, especially a centre half to talk'. It's always good to have that strong core, a bit of liveliness around the changing room, get the lads going. I feel like I can bring that to the place and I'm really excited to be working for the gaffer.

The former Barnsley centre back also feels his experience of the Premier League during his time in south Wales will be a considerable benefit to a Fulham squad that is light on top flight experience.

Definitely. I spoke to the gaffer and he said there's a lot of that kind of experience within the squad. Of course, some players have played in the top divisions in different countries but in this league it is a totally different ball game. It's very hard, it's very draining, it is more of a mental game than it is physically – players are always switched on, nine times out of ten they are making the right decisions, so you've got to replicate that. It's going to be hard but I think my experience will help. I've been through the best of it when I've stayed up and then, unfortunately, I know how it feels to go down. I won't let that be replicated, so if things creep in on the training ground or in games, then we can nip them in the bud. I'm just really excited to be part of this journey.

He also believes his own ball-playing attributes will fit handily into Fulham's possession-based game and is confident that the side can get off to a good start.

I can't wait to get on the ball. I love playing football, I love passing – first and foremost, I'm a centre half and I'm here to do the dirty bits and then add that side of it on top. I think I'm really going to flourish here and really enjoy my time here. I just can't wait to get going.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/mawson-delighted-to-be-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham have 'enquired' about midfielder, likely took place following friendly

Currently on course to having the best transfer window out of all the Premier League sides, Fulham aren't stopping yet.

Having already signed the likes of Jean-Michael Seri, Maxime Le Marchand, André Schürrle and keeping hold of Ryan Sessegnon, the Cottagers are looking to bolster their midfield/attack a bit further, if Gazzetta dello Sport are to be believed.

Hidden away in a round up of what's going on in Serie A outside of the big clubs is the small nugget of information that Slavisa Jokanovic's side have recently enquired about Sampdoria's Dennis Praet.

This likely came after the recent friendly both sides took part in in Aldershot, which the Italians won 1-0.

The Belgian midfielder, who can also play a bit wider, has been linked with a move to the Premier League for as long as we can remember, dating back to his days at Anderlecht, and a move to the Genoa club hasn't changed that.

There's nothing more to the story than the enquiry, and it could just be Fulham were kindly told to look elsewhere.

We'll be keeping an eye open for anything new on the matter.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-enquired-midfielder-likely-took-place-following-friendly/

WhiteJC

Fulham have signed Alfie Mawson
The former England Under-21 International is another addition to Jokanovic's back four

Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images

After days of speculation, Fulham have finally signed Alfie Mawson from Swansea City. The terms of the contract are four-years with a transfer fee of £15 million, plus add-ons that could climb it towards £20 million. That means that the former England Under-21 international will be with the club for as far as 2022 when he is still at the prime of his footballing career at 28 years old.

With nine days to go before Fulham's first fixture back in the Premier League, the club have now gone on to sign six players while losing just two key members of the senior squad. In total, they have spent almost £70 million in transfer fees and are still looking to fill up the rest of the 25-man roster that will need to be sent to the Premier League offices.

Of all the signings Tony Kahn, Slavisa Jokanovic and the rest of Fulham's board room, this currently is the one that will be of the most impactful. When Mawson came to Swansea City in hopes of staving off relegation in 2016/17, he produced well in 27 appearances with six crucial goals. Of those six goals, five came off of headers. So that in of itself shows how strong he has been in Premier League competition in aerial battles. While the season after wasn't as great of a success for his club, Mawson still showed how irreplaceable he was to the Swans. To have a center back of that level of quality will be vital for Fulham's hopes to thrive as a top flight side for years to come.

All data from whoscored.com

As for evaluating what Mawson is like as a footballer, the former Brentford, Wycombe & Barnsley man has developed into a terrific passer of the ball that will surely fit into Slavisa Jokanovic's system, just like Tomas Kalas before him. Unlike Tomas Kalas, Mawson is much more willing to break an opposing defense with long ball passes, as evidenced below.

Whoever plays out on the right should love having him in the starting XI every matchday. Along with that, Mawson was among the better shot blockers in the Premier League last season with 32. That being said, only Chris Smalling and Harry Maguire finished in the top ten in this category and did not play for a bottom-half club or the bend-but-don't-break Burnley side. So take that bit of information for what it's worth. With regards to tackles and interceptions, Mawson very rarely does any of that, but those responsibilities will be falling towards the current crop of fullbacks, a fast-pressing attacking three and the defensive midfield of Jean-Michael Seri and Kevin McDonald.

The defense is now set to have him and Tim Ream at center back, while Maxime Le Marchand will move over to left back and Cyrus Christie will be out on the right. While the spine of the team looks set, I still would like to see Kahn and Co. get massive upgrades at fullback and set the squad up so that a Marcelo Djalo or a Ibrahima Cisse can go out on loan for their development and for maintaining a strong market value. Rumors are looking at Matt Targett to return on a seven figure transfer fee, but this leads to a quandary in the short and long term.

First, Southampton needs cover at left back if Ryan Bertrand ends up leaving the club as well. If that ends up happening, either kiss any notion of Targett leaving goodbye or to see that proposed transfer fee skyrocket.

Second, as much as I love seeing Fulham spend wildly this transfer window, eventually they will either have to comply with Financial Fair Play or make sure that they are not spending well beyond their means. What happens if any of our attacking players are just not cut for Premier League football? Or what about any of our midfielders that were the bedrock of this club throughout the Slavisa Jokanovic era? Eventually those players have to be replaced and it would be not a good sight to see Fulham no longer having the cash flow to spend as lavishly as they are this summer.

This has to be a long term project that continues to build towards the present and future. If this transfer window were to end, their may still be holes to fill for this squad, but I would still call it a tremendous success. And plenty of that is due to the signing of Alfie Mawson.

Welcome to Fulham Alfie!!!

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/8/3/17645590/fulham-have-signed-alfie-mawson

WhiteJC

TOWN SIGN TAYO EDUN

Blues sign midfielder from newly-promoted Fulham

Town have signed Tayo Edun on a season long loan from Fulham.

The 20-year-old midfielder will be available for Saturday's Championship opener against Blackburn after the paperwork was completed on the deal before today's midday deadline.

Tayo made two appearances in the Championship for Play-Off winners Fulham last term, as well as lining up in the Carabao Cup.

He has represented England at youth level up to U20 and was in the U19 squad, along with Town midfielder Andre Dozzell and loanee Trevoh Chalobah that won the U19 European Championship last year.   

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2018/august/ipswich-town-complete-the-loan-signing-of-tayo-edun-from-fulham/

WhiteJC

Loan Deal For Edun
The Club can announce that Tayo Edun has joined Championship side Ipswich Town on a season-long loan until May 31st.

Edun will be going out on his first loan spell having made his Championship debut for Fulham last season when he started in the 1-1 draw against Derby County at Craven Cottage in November.

He made his first senior appearance for the Club in the 2016/17 season in the EFL Cup against Leyton Orient and has now in total made seven first team appearances over two seasons.

Last season he played in 12 PL2 games for Fulham, scoring two goals including a 92nd minute strike from outside the box to secure a draw 1-1 against Newcastle in the final game of the season.

Ipswich will be looking to push on this season after finishing 12th last season, now under the tutelage of Paul Hurst who joined from Shrewsbury Town at the start of the summer.

Last season Hurst took Shrewsbury to Wembley twice but lost both in the EFL Trophy and the League One Play-Off final to Lincoln and Rotherham respectively.

Edun has also enjoyed success for England at youth level and he was part of the same England U19 side as Ryan Sessegnon which went on to win the 2017 UEFA European Under-19 Championships.

A versatile player comfortable operating at left-back, left-midfield or centre-midfield, he started every game for the Young Lions and was then included in the team of the tournament.

Ipswich kick-off their Championship campaign on Saturday against Blackburn Rovers at Portman Road and everyone at Fulham wishes Tayo all the best for the coming season.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/03/loan-deal-for-edun

WhiteJC

Edun makes Ipswich loan move

Fulham's promising young midfielder Tayo Edun has today joined Ipswich Town on a season-long loan deal.

The versatile 20 year-old was likely to find his first-team opportunities limited this season following Fulham's promotion to the Premier League and had previously undertaken a trial with MLS side Portland Timbers. Edun, who primarily operates now as a defensive midfielder but can also play at left back or on the left side of midfield, has made six senior appearances for the Whites after coming through the club's academy. He was also a regular for Fulham's under 23 side, scoring two goals in twelve games.

He made an impressive debut at Leyton Orient in the League Cup win in August 2016 and was excellent when drafted into the midfield to face Derby County in the Championship last season. He would have faced serious competition for a first-team chance this year given Fulham's strength in the midfield areas and is likely to go straight into Ipswich's squad for their opening Championship fixture of the season against Blackburn Rovers tomorrow.

The European Under 19 championship winner is highly-rated and Motspur Park and Fulham believe regular Championship first-team football could prove crucial to his development.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/edun-makes-ipswich-loan-move/

WhiteJC

Fulham 'to place £4.5m bid for Kara Mbodji'

Fulham will reportedly place a bid of £4.5m in an effort to sign Anderlecht defender Kara Mbodji.

The Senegal international, who missed the World Cup due to a knee injury, won the Belgian top flight title with his current employers in 2017.

However, according to The Sun, Mbodji is now on the fringes of the squad and has been deemed surplus to requirements by manager Hein Vanhaezebrouck.

The newspaper adds that Mbodji's lack of playing time has halved his value, and Fulham are prepared to swoop in with an offer that could allow the 28-year-old to realise a dream of playing in the Premier League.

Mbodji would be Fulham's seventh acquisition of the summer, with Alfie Mawson their most recent capture.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/transfer-talk/news/fulham-to-place-bid-for-kara-mbodji_332176.html

WhiteJC

Alfie Mawson thanks Swansea City

Alfie Mawson has thanked former employers Swansea City after agreeing a switch to Fulham.

Mawson, who played in every Premier League game as the Swans were relegated to the Championship last season, sealed a return to the top flight on Thursday with a move to West London.

Taking to Twitter, the 24-year-old said that he "loved" his time in South Wales.

"I would like to say thank you to Swansea City for the past two years of my life, not just the football club but the place as a whole," the centre-back wrote.

"Although last season ended how it did, I loved my time in Wales and was always proud to put on that shirt. It's a great place full of even better people, I have no doubt at all that Swansea will find its way back to the Premier League sooner rather than later.

"Once a Jack always a Jack and I mean that. Take care, Alf. YJB."

Mawson has appeared 65 times in the Premier League to date.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/swansea-city/news/alfie-mawson-thanks-swansea-city_332179.html

WhiteJC

Fulham's spending spree proves Mike Ashley's lack of ambition will eventually cost him dearly

Mike Ashley has established a solid reputation for being the most tight-fisted and unambitious owner in English football during his time at the helm of Newcastle United, and the arrival of Fulham and Wolverhampton Wanderers in the top-flight has served to further emphasise his lack of ambition.

Newcastle United has made a profit of £16.65 million so far this summer, which begs the question: will Ashley finally break the transfer record before the transfer window closes? The obvious and most predictable answer to that question is absolutely not, and if the club do indeed fail to use the funds available to make further acquisitions there's no doubt that they will struggle to survive this season.

Meanwhile, Fulham have just added Alfie Mawson to their ranks in a deal which could eventually be worth £20 million, taking their summer spending beyond the £70 million mark.

Mawson joins a handful of quality players at Fulham who have made the switch this summer, such as Andre Schurrle, Jean Michael Seri and Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The ambition which both Fulham and Wolves have shown since clinching promotion, along with the likes of West Ham and Everton who have also spent big, suggests that a new-era is beginning to take shape which will inevitably leave the unambitious behind.

Naturally, Mike Ashley's Newcastle fall into this category, and if he fails to adapt to the new super-rich era there's no doubt the Magpies will eventually have to settle for Championship football, regardless of the size of their fan-base and commercial appeal.

With Rafa Benitez at the helm there's no doubt that Newcastle have a fantastic chance of retaining their top-flight status once again next season, but how long can they continue to merely tread water before rival clubs leave them in their wake?

It's a troubling time for Newcastle supporters with super-rich investors throwing huge sums of money at relegation-threatened clubs in a bid to establish themselves in the Premier League, whilst Ashley continues to run the club with the same ridiculous attitude he has demonstrated throughout his tenure.

Time is running out for change on Tyneside, so Ashley needs to sell Newcastle as soon as possible to an owner whom is willing to invest in order to save the club from a long-term stint in the Championship.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/fulhams-spending-spree-proves-mike-ashleys-lack-of-ambition-will-eventually-cost-him-dearly/

WhiteJC

Fulham And Aston Villa Amongst Possible Destinations For 20 Y/O English Striker

According to a report by The Sun, Chelsea starlet, Tammy Abraham could be on the verge of leaving Stamford Bridge this summer with Aston Villa being the latest side to show a keen interest. The highly talented attacker scored five goals for Swansea City last season and emerged as one of Premier League's most promising young players.

The 20-year-old is keen to stay in the Premier League, after returning to Chelsea from a loan spell from the Liberty Stadium. But, his chances of making a breakthrough into the Blues' starting eleven are highly unlikely. As a result, a move out of Stamford Bridge seems like the most prudent choice as he seeks to make another big impact in the upcoming Premier League season.

In this article, we will discuss three potential destinations for this English sensation as we approach the final phase of the ongoing summer transfer window.

Aston Villa

Aston Villa are the club most strongly linked with Abraham this summer. After an impressive season, Steve Bruce's men will be keen on winning promotion with the Chelsea starlet being identified as the perfect candidate to spearhead their attack.

The Villans are already in danger of losing attacking superstar Jack Grealish this summer, thus accentuating the need for a quality striker, who can make a difference in the final third. Additionally, Jonathan Kodija failed to find the back of the net at regular intervals last season while no assurances can be made regarding the long-term form of Albert Adomah.

Therefore, Tammy Abraham will be an ideal signing given their lack of prominent figures in the offensive department. The 20-year-old has already shown what he is capable of at the highest level and replicating the same in the English second tier shouldn't prove to be a difficulty for the highly talented attacker.

Fulham

Another club who should definitely make a move for Abraham is newly promoted Fulham. The Cottagers have already made some stunning acquisitions this summer, notably signing former Nice superstar Jean-Michael Seri and German winger, Andre Schurrle.

They have also signed Newcastle marksman Aleksandar Mitrovic. But a move for Tammy Abraham will undoubtedly sparkle up their attack even more considering the fact that the likes of Rui Fonte and Aboubakar Kamara are unlikely to be entrusted with the role of leading the Fulham attack next.

Abraham could be an ideal backup option for Mitrovic and certainly a potential trump card from the bench for head coach Slavisa Jokanovic. Alternatively, he can also partner Mitrovic in a two-man forward line should the Serbian mastermind opt for a 4-4-2 formation. A transfer to Fulham will also present Abraham with the opportunity of remaining in the Premier League.

Brighton & Hove Albion

Last but not the least, it's Brighton who are in dire need of someone like Tammy Abraham on their roster at the moment.

Much has been documented regarding the Seagulls' lack of potency in the attacking third. In fact, they were the joint least scoring team in the Premier League last season along with the relegated Swansea City.

Thus, Chris Hughton will be eager to add more firepower upfront despite having signed Florian Andone from Deportivo La Coruna earlier this summer.

Tammy Abraham, in that regard, could be an ideal fit given his past experience of playing in the English top flight.

Stats Courtesy: Whoscored

https://madaboutepl.net/2018/08/fulham-and-brighton-amongst-possible-destinations-for-tammy-abraham/

WhiteJC

Odoi relishing his Premier League chance

Denis Odoi is relishing his opportunity to play Premier League football this season – especially after being told by his school teachers that he no chance of becoming a professional footballer.

The Belgian international insists that he was never out looking to prove wrong a PE teacher who was trying to encourage him to concentrate on his education and doesn't regret making the move to Craven Cottage two summers ago – even though it might have looked like a backward step at the time. Odoi told Football.London's Ryan O'Donovan:

To get the chance, it's not like I was out for revenge for anything. I just played and started in the second division in Belgium and went one step higher, then higher at Anderlecht and I took a step back and came to Fulham to play in England – it didn't matter if it was Championship. It's not like I felt I was too good to play in the Championship and then we had two good seasons. The first year was a good one and it matured us as a team and then the second season we got to the final and made it.

I think because you're playing in [the] Championship you don't get the recognition because you're in the second tier but now everyone is in the Premier League so it's up to them to show everybody that they're worthy of playing in that league.

Odoi is adamant that Fulham should stick to the style of football that earned them promotion from the Championship, despite being under no illusions that this season will represent a stern test of the Whites' footballing principles.

I think the experience we had from last season, playing in semi-finals and finals, play our game because that's the way we know how to play. It's the way we will take points. If we try to play a different style that we aren't used to then it'll probably turn out bad.

I have some friends that play in the Premier League and they say our style will suit it, but it's still up to us to show it. We know that we're better with the ball than without it and we won't be dominating the game all the time so that's where we need to work hard.

The level will be higher and we need to dig in and stick together and realise that we won't be playing the same football as we played last year and that we won't be dominating every game with 60% to 70% ball possession. So we also need to work hard off the ball and that will be the biggest lesson for us and that's where we need to get better.

We need to keep faith and remember last season that we had a bad start and we finished near the top. So if the start isn't the way we planned, we still know that things can turn around – it's a higher level, but we need to be patient and work hard and hopefully we will get the points we deserve and work for.

The utility man will miss Fulham's Premier League opener against Crystal Palace next weekend through suspension after being sent off in the play-off final at Wembley, but Odoi's versatility means he is likely to be a key part of Slavisa Jokanovic's squad throughout the campaign.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/odoi-relishing-his-premier-league-chance/

WhiteJC

Fulham enquire about taking Real Madrid left-back Theo Hernandez on loan and also express interest in Sampdoria midfielder Dennis Praet

Fulham interested in signing Real Madrid left-back Theo Hernandez on loan
    Newly-promoted side have also enquired about Sampdoria's Dennis Praet
    Fulham have been heavily active so far in the summer transfer window

Fulham have asked about taking Real Madrid left-back Theo Hernandez, 20, on loan.

They have also enquired after Belgian midfielder Dennis Praet at Sampdoria.

Hernandez joined Real from Atletico Madrid last summer, signing a six-year deal at The Bernabeu.

Fulham have asked about taking Real Madrid left-back Theo Hernandez on loan

Last season Hernandez made 13 appearances in La Liga, while he featured three times during Real's successful Champions League campaign.

Praet, meanwhile, has been a Sampdoria player for almost two years since he made the switch from Anderlecht.

The newly-promoted side are also interested in signing Sampdoria midfielder Dennis Praet

FULHAM'S SUMMER 2018 SIGNINGS

Jean Michael Seri - Nice

Maxime Le Marchand - Nice

Fabricio - Besiktas

Aleksandar Mitrovic - Newcastle

Alfie Mawson - Swansea

Andre Schurrle - Borussia Dortmund - Loan

Fulham have had a very productive transfer window, during which they have made a host of significant signings.

Jean Michael Seri, for instance, joined from Nice, while Andre Schurrle arrived on a two-year loan from Borussia Dortmund.

Alfie Mawson, Fabricio, Maxime Le Marchand and Aleksandar Mitrovic have also joined the club.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6025231/Fulham-enquire-taking-Real-Madrid-left-Theo-Hernandez-loan.html

WhiteJC

Premier League preview 2018/19 - Fulham: Slavisa Jokanovic's men can excel on top flight return

Richard Jolly is analysing all 20 teams competing in the Premier League and giving his verdict on how they will fare. Here he looks at how Fulham will perform after promotion via the play-offs

State of play: When Fulham only won four of their first 17 league games last season, they were rank outsiders to win promotion.

Yet a play-off final triumph was deserved reward for the fine football they have played over the last few years. They should retain passing principles: they may hope to end their habit of making slow starts to seasons.

Their squad is in a state of flux though in Aleksandar Mitrovic, prolific while on loan at Craven Cottage, Jean-Michel Seri and the World Cup winner Andre Schurrle, they have made three high-calibre recruits.

The questions revolve if the defence is good enough. Signing Alfie Mawson would help.

Key player: Jean-Michel Seri – It ranked as a coup when Fulham signed the Nice midfielder, who almost joined Barcelona in 2017. It indicated Fulham's ambition and sets up the chance of a formidable combination with the captain Tom Cairney, a passer who should benefit from Seri's athleticism alongside him.

Manager: Slavisa Jokanovic – Finally managing in the Premier League, three years after he took Watford up. It is a sign of how well the Serb has done that he was linked with the Chelsea job. The attacking, passing football he plays could certainly attract bigger clubs. It should also stand Fulham in good stead.

Talking point: Can Ryan Sessegnon take the Premier League by storm? If Fulham had not gone up, the chances are that the precocious 18-year-old would be in the top flight by now.

Sessegnon was named as the Championship's player of the year after scoring 15 goals last season in a campaign he began at left-back, although most came following his move forward to play as a left winger following Matt Targett's January arrival.

With left-back Maxime le Marchand joining, it is time to see if the quick Sessegnon can torment better defences from a more advanced role. He could represent a genuine threat on the counter-attack.

Prediction: 12th.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/premier-league-preview-2018-19-fulham-slavisa-jokanovic-s-men-can-excel-on-top-flight-return-1.756767