watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (06/08/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 06, 2018, 07:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Class in attack but must improve at the back - What we learned from Fulham vs Celta Vigo

Fulham showed their quality to score twice in the first half but also showed some defensive frailties

Pre-season is a time of preparation and learning for football clubs and with just seven days to go until the Premier League we should have seen a Fulham team starting to fire on all cylinders.

The Cottagers travelled to France, Germany and even Aldershot before taking to the Craven Cottage pitch this afternoon.

It was a contradictory performance in many ways with the side sometimes looking a level above the team we've seen before and at others looking like they have barely played together.

Of course these are quality players, who are still getting to know each other and mistakes might even be expected.

There was still a friendly feel to this fixture but there is plenty to take away from the match, in particular, the free scoring first half.

Elite forward line

For 45 minutes their play is best described as 'wow'. Fulham last season looked brilliant scything through teams on the counter-attack, with low driven crosses from speedy full-backs. Today, they maintained their trademark football but it was intricate passing, players moving all across the forward line but with purpose and intelligence.

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 04: Jean Michael Seri of Fulham in action during a Pre-Season Friendly between Fulham and Celta Vigo at Craven Cottage on August 4, 2018 in London, England. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Jean Michael-Seri was imperious in covering every blade of grass and looking for gaps in the lines between midfield and defence. Andre Schurrle seems fractions away from a spectacular performance, as he showed his strength but glided across the turf, interchanging passes all of the way, swapping wings with Aboubakar Kamara who never looked out of place.

Aleksandar Mitrovic produced an impressive display, with strong hold up play and some tidy distribution to the midfield.

Tom Cairney was slow to get going and in some ways the side were less reliant on him but there was a sense that could make him more threatening. With more players to focus on he found space and looked to add some trickery to his game.

AK47 coming of age?

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 04: Aboubakar Kamara of Fulham in action during a Pre-Season Friendly between Fulham and Celta Vigo at Craven Cottage on August 4, 2018 in London, England. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Perhaps a tad early to declare but this was a promising performance from the forward. It wasn't a hit in the hit and miss pattern, he didn't dominate with outrageous physicality and speed. It was measured and technical.

He didn't look like the player where you couldn't guess what happened next but his movement and passing, for the most part, looked deliberate.

The 28-year-old looked every bit as good as Schurrle and Cairney coming forward and seamlessly swapped wings and producing one touch football. A performance with plenty of promise and a well taken goal.

Defensive depth

Well, other than at right back, there isn't any - particularly going into the game against Palace. Slavisa Jokanovic plainly wants two players for each position. At right back he has Cyrus Christie with both Steven Sessegnon and Marlon Fossey able to deputise.

The Serbian has Tim Ream, Denis Odoi and Maxime Le Marchand able to play in the centre. With Odoi suspended for the Premier League opener, in all likelihood Le Marchand and Ream will start but both ideally would play on the left side.

At left back, Le Marchand can play there, but is perhaps more comfortable in the centre, and at the moment we have Ryan Sessegnon dropping back. Not ideal.

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 04: Maxime Le Marchand of Fulham looks on during a Pre-Season Friendly between Fulham and Celta Vigo at Craven Cottage on August 4, 2018 in London, England. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

There were worrying signs in the partnership between Le Marchand and Ream during the opening 45 minutes too. It was a new partnership but communication looked difficult and neither looking assertive enough to come and claim the ball, a trait Ream had made his own last season.

Both were comfortable building play and interchanging with the midfield but lacked the agility of Celta Vigo's Iago Aspas and the Spanish side looked primed to exploit the space between the two when the opportunity presented itself.

Sessegnon wasted at left back

Post-match Jokanovic noted: "I don't believe it is good to play Ryan Sessegnon left full back but if I don't have another choice I will play with him."

The Serbian boss repeatedly mentioned how 'dangerous' it was to 'improvise' in the Premier League and while the 18-year-old developed in defence he has made the left wing his home.

That is not to say Sessegnon performed badly against Celta Vigo, he was fine, but playing in defence restricts so much about what he is good at.

Ryan Sessegnon evades a tackle from Aston Villa's Conor Hourihane in the build up to the opening goal at Wembley

His greatest asset is his movement. At left back it will be forgotten for a discipline while martialling a gifted opponent or it will leave Fulham open on the flanks. Playing on the wing, his tendency to drift into the box at the right moment will be taken advantage of by the Cottagers ever-improving midfielder.

Who starts in Fulham's front three this season will be a consistently tough choice.

The starting XI for Crystal Palace?

Given Marcus Bettinelli's continued injury issues and Denis Odoi's suspension it seems incredible likely that team that played Celta Vigo will start against Crystal Palace.

Any transfers will have only a brief amount of training time before the fixture and even Alfie Mawson is not expected to return until September.

One man that might change that is Matt Targett, who is generally well rehearsed in Jokanovic's style and that could allow Sessegnon to move further up the field. Who would drop out from that forward line, your guess is as good as mine.

Today's friendly was treated as a more serious match and Jokanovic made just four substitutes in the match as the Cottagers come closer to stricter limits. More than any other this friendly seemed like one to prepare a system.

We'll see next week how much it has paid off.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-celta-vigo-sessegnon-kamara-14991907

WhiteJC

Fulham swoop for Real Madrid left-back Theo Hernandez and Sampdoria's Dennis Praet

Fulham continue their preparations for the Premier League season by remaining active in the transfer window.

According to the Daily Mail, the newly-promoted outfit have enquired about taking Real Madrid left-back Theo Hernandez on loan and have also asked about the availability of Sampordia midfielder Dennis Praet.

Hernandez signed for Real from Atletico Madrid last summer on a six-year deal but only made 13 La Liga appearances last season as Marcelo remains the standout first-choice left-back at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Praet on the other hand has been with Sampdoria for nearly two years since he moved on from Anderlecht.

http://sport360.com/article/football/transfer-news/296824/fulham-swoop-for-real-madrid-left-back-theo-hernandez-and-sampdorias-dennis-praet

WhiteJC

Fulham linked with loan swoop for Selnaes

Fulham are interested in taking St Etienne midfielder Ole Selnaes on loan, according to a Sunday Mirror article.

The Whites have contacted the French club to enquire about a season-long loan arrangement for the Norwegian international, although St Etienne are apparently keener on a permanent transfer. The 6ft 2in holding midfielder has won countless plaudits in France since moving from Rosenborg two years ago and has sixteen international caps to his name.

The son of the former Rosenborg goalkeeper Ivan Selnaes, the defensive-minded midfielder is a powerful runner who reads the game excellently and has a strong left foot. He starred for Rosenborg's junior side before penning a professional deal in 2012 and quickly became an established member of the first-team side. The 24 year-old won the Norwegian double in 2015 and was named the Tippeligaen Player of the Year.

He has made 71 appearances in his two seasons with St Etienne, although the French side are open to selling Selnaes as he has just two years to go on his current contract. Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic highlighted the need for quality back-up to Scottish international Kevin McDonald following yesterday's friendly with Celta Vigo and the intelligent midfielder might just fit the bill. It remains to be seen if the two clubs can strike an agreement over the terms of a possible transfer before Thursday's English transfer deadline.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/fulham-with-loan-swoop-for-selnaes/

WhiteJC

The four reasons Fulham fans shouldn't worry about Fabri starting against Crystal Palace

The new arrival from Besiktas has had a mixed response following his first performances for the Cottagers

Fabri has now completed two set of 90 minutes and two shorter games for Fulham. In that time he conceded four goals and kept one clean sheet.

Not too bad but he hasn't quite captured the hearts of Cottagers just yet.

At 30, the Spaniard was bought for £5million and penned a three-year deal where the club have the option for a fourth. Given Tony Khan prefers not to sign players older than 28 it indicates there was something special about the stopper.

After four games he is now starting to find his way in the side and in all likelihood will be named in the starting line-up against Crystal Palace to make his Premier League bow.

Nevertheless, the odd the occasional uncertain punch or movement has left some fans concerned over what he brings.

Here's why they shouldn't be worried.

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 04: Fabri of Fulham in action during a Pre-Season Friendly between Fulham and Celta Vigo at Craven Cottage on August 4, 2018 in London, England. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Sweeping

It is a style of goalkeeping that can strike fear in fans when it isn't done convincingly. Against Celta Vigo produced an assured and low risk brand of sweeping. Where chief proponents in the likes of Manuel Neur come streaking out of goal, the Spanish glovesman seemed to take ownership of his area. This creates another level of defensive and is reasonably risk averse.

Such a style may lend itself to protecting the space behind defence in those matches Fulham dominate possession, while his awareness will be key when top sides' agile and pacey forwards catch the Whites defence flat-footed - as was seen with Iago Aspas on Saturday.

His passing ability from these situations i exactly what Slavisa Jokoanovic is looking for too,

Confidence

I think it is this area that has perhaps left doubt in the minds of some supporters. When you come to clear a ball and don't look convincing you can feel it in the crowd.

It is an area I think Fabri will grow in quickly however. It naturally comes with more game-time but as Fulham land on a partnership at the heart of defence, the keeper can build his relationship with them. He will be more assured when leaving his box and communication will be more efficient. You'd expect it to be a matter of time.

That save

If anything would inspire confidence, Fabri's save in the second half should. c had done everything right. He beat Maxime Le Marchand and let Kevin McDonald dive in with attempted block. He took a touch to the right, shaped to curl the ball into the corner from around 10 yards out. A simple cool finish.

The former Besiktas keeper positioned himself well though. The angle was narrowed and he produced a good dive to his left and extended his arm to an almost unfathomable point to palm away the shot with a strong wrist. Class.

Pedigree

Lyon's Mounter Diakhaby (R) vies with Besiktas' goalkeeper Fabri (L) during the UEFA Europa League (Image: BULENT KILIC/AFP/Getty Images)

When you look at his CV, Fabri has a stellar offering. Two-time goalkeeper of the year in the Super Liga with Besiktas. Unsurprising with 26 clean sheets in 66 league matches. Conceding goals 30 goals in his 34 games is not too shabby either.

While at Besiktas the stopper got extensive European experience competing in 11 Champions League matches and six in the Europa League. As such the Premier League will not daunt him.

Tony Khan noted that he was 'a tremendous player that we've targeted for some time' and said 'his scouting profile and his data profile are both strong'. That and the fact Fabri worked with Fulham's goalkeeper coach Jose Sambade Carreira in the past at Deportivo suggests the Cottagers have a very complete profile and expect a lot themselves.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/four-reasons-fulham-fans-shouldnt-14991858

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic set to haunt us...Goal and assist in opening 16 minutes of first start back

In 16 minutes of his first start back at Fulham, Aleksandar Mitrovic had scored one, made one, meanwhile I was at SJP watching Joselu...

As I watched Joselu running around aimlessly for another 90 minutes on Saturday, my thoughts drifted towards Aleksandar Mitrovic...

I wasn't at the Augsburg match willingly, instead it was because my daughter wanted to go and so I took her and a friend along.

Friendlies aren't the best of experiences in any circumstances, but when you are struggling to score a goal against a bang average lowly German club, it means you even more think about anything but the kickabout you are watching.

Newcastle actually weren't terrible in the first half and had a few chances but as per last season, I always think that Joselu never looks like he is going to get a goal.

I was never the biggest fan of Aleksandar Mitrovic but I must admit, having seen quite a bit of his time and 12 goals at Fulham, then his World Cup adventure, I do think he has maybe matured and looks a more complete striker.

Yes, he could have scored a few more if taking his chances in Russia but I did think his overall game looked a lot better than what we saw most of the time when playing for Newcastle.

As always, I will say first of all that anything Rafa Benitez does, I am fine with, but I do wonder if just maybe he should have changed his Mitro stance.

If we were a normal club and selling the Serbian and a number of others, would then have helped towards four or five proper signings coming in, including a £20m/£25m new striker, the fair enough sell him.

However, with Mike Ashley once again playing Rafa Benitez for a fool and giving him a pittance to reinvest back in the team, just maybe keeping Aleksandar Mitrovic made the most sense.

Salomon Rondon looks like he will arrive any time soon but even to get that, Rafa has had to agree to flogging  Dwight Gayle.

Rondon has a record of averaging eight goals a season in three Premier League seasons, I hope he can do the business but I do worry as to whether we have actually downgraded on strikers...

That is without the then further worries of in the absence of Mitro and Gayle, what happens if Rondon then gets injured?

Back to Joselu appears to be that answer.

I can't help but think this sale of Mitro is going to come back and haunt us, especially with Fulham showing ambition to bring in plenty of other major signings.

My mood wasn't helped when checking out the official Fulham site this morning, to see what was happening with our former striker.

Unlike Newcastle's transfer activity, Aleksandar Mitrovic made his first start on Saturday since moving back to Fulham and promptly scored a very good goal after three minutes and then added an assist on 16 minutes, the Cottagers eventually drawing 2-2 with Celta Vigo.

I am now daydreaming again, though this time remembering Joselu yesterday. Yes he tries his very best but last season taught us that/he is nowhere near good enough.

I still can't believe that he is still here and we are almost certainly going to have to rely on him this season.

If Aleksandar Mitrovic is at the same time firing on all cylinders and scoring goals at Fulham, it is going to be a constant itch that won't go away.

'Fulham concluded their pre-season preparations with a 2-2 draw at a sunny Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon.

All the goals came in the first-half with Aleksandar Mitrovic reintroducing himself to the Fulham faithful after just three minutes when his low strike opened the scoring.

Celta Vigo named a strong line-up which included Iago Aspas as part of a dangerous front-three with former Fulham man Jozabed named among the replacements.

Mitrovic opened the scoring in the third minute of the game when he spun away from the Celta defenders and rifled a shot into the bottom right-hand corner of the goal.

After some more fine footwork from Mitrovic, the Serbian found Kamara on the right and the forward pulled the trigger on the edge of the box, nestling his shot in the bottom left-hand corner of the goal in the 16th minute.

Mitrovic was once again at the heart of the action when Cairney's eye of the needle pass almost reached his outstretched foot but the ball just eluded the big Serbian.

Six minutes later it was Mitrovic using his size and strength in the opposite box to bully his way to getting a low powerful effort off, it fell the wrong side of the back-post.'

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/08/aleksandar-mitrovic-set-to-haunt-us-goal-and-assist-in-opening-16-minutes-of-first-game-back-newcastle-united/

WhiteJC

gossip Fulham interested in signing Real Madrid left-back Theo Hernandez on loan

The newly-promoted Whites have already made several surprising signings this summer

Fulham have approached Real Madrid in an attempt to sign 20-year-old left-back Theo Hernandez on loan, according to reports.

Hernandez made 13 league appearances for Los Blancos last season after moving across the capital from Atletico Madrid in the summer.

Fulham have already pulled off some impressive deals this summer, bringing the likes of Jean-Michael Seri and Andre Schurrle to Craven Cottage.

The Whites played Southampton's Matt Targett at left-back in the second-half of last season and remain interested in signing him permanently.

However, with Saints unwilling to sell and little time remaining before the window shuts, they have turned their attention elsewhere.

https://talksport.com/football/407621/fulham-real-madrid-theo-hernandez-on-loan/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic states Fulham's business is not done yet

Fulham will be desperate to get off to the best possible start next weekend in the Premier League as they take on Crystal Palace.

The Cottagers have already made a number of moves on the transfer front this summer as they continue to gear up for Premier League football. And, it doesn't look as if the London club are finished just yet, as according to the Evening Standard, Slavisa Jokanovic has stated that Fulham's transfer business is not done yet.

Slavisa Jokanovic has warned his Fulham squad will require significant additions before the transfer window closes on Thursday if they are to be competitive in the Premier League.

The Cottagers have been one of the big spenders in the Premier League so far this summer, adding six high-profile players that include Andre Schurrle, Jean Michael Seri and Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Although, there could be even more players making their way to Craven Cottage. as Jokanovic stated this:

"Our business is definitely not done,"

THE VERDICT:
Interestingly, it appears as if the London club could spend even more money this summer, despite already acquiring a number of players for a large amount of cash.

Of course, the Cottagers are making a big statement of intent by splashing the cash, but it will be interesting to see whether Slavisa Jokanovic can get the new players integrated into his side properly.

Fulham will be hoping that they don't follow a similar path to Everton this season, as the Toffees spent big last summer but found themselves in relegation trouble towards the start of the campaign.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/jokanovic-states-fulhams-business-is-not-done-yet/

WhiteJC

Mawson to wait at least a month for Fulham debut

Alfie Mawson is not expected to feature for Fulham before the end of the month.

Former Brentford centre-back Mawson, recently signed from Swansea for £15m, did not feature in the Whites' final pre-season friendly, against Celta Vigo on Saturday.

And boss Slavisa Jokanovic believes Mawson will need time to build up his match fitness.

Jokanovic explained: "He won't be ready yet. We must wait two or three weeks for him to start working with us and I don't expect he can help us before September."

Mawson is among six major summer signings made by Fulham, who have also brought in Jean Michael Seri, Aleksandar Mitrović, Maxime Le Marchand, keeper Fabri and former Chelsea man Andre Schurrle.

Jokanovic suggested after the Celta Vigo game that he would like to make up to three more signings before Thursday's transfer deadline.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/mawson-to-wait-at-least-a-month-for-fulham-debut-following-move-from-swansea

WhiteJC

Three things Fulham fans learnt from pre-season action against Celta Vigo

The Cottagers are finalising their preparations ahead of the Premier League season.

On Saturday afternoon, Fulham drew 2-2 with Celta Vigo at Craven Cottage in their final preseason friendly.

With just a week to go until the Premier League season opener against Crystal Palace, here are three takeaways from the friendly.

Aboubakar Kamara and Aleksandar Mitrovic have what it takes to star in the Premier League

The Whites' two goalscorers on Saturday both bagged wonderful strikes, with Mitrovic executing a stunning turn before slotting home an early finish to open the scoring.

Kamara put Fulham ahead for a second time in the first half, collecting a pass on the right wing before arrowing a low blast into the bottom left of the net.

Both had faced questions about how they would fare in the top flight, yet the two attackers look set to take the Premier League by storm.

The Serbian's goal revealed he can continue last season's stunning form, and Kamara has the ability to run teams ragged with searing pace and inventive skills.

(Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Fulham's defence needs time to gel

Fulham shipped two soft goals against the La Liga side, with both strikes coming from rather routine crosses that were headed in.

The first goal came from a delivery in from the right wing, with Maxime le Merchand beaten to the cross as Celta Vigo responded almost immediately to Mitrovic's opener.

The Spaniards equalised yet again right before halftime when an outswinging free kick was headed in by a completely unmarked Celta Vigo player.

Defensive lapses such as these can be expected in a preseason friendly when the new defensive pairings have not had time to settle, yet they must be corrected quickly if Fulham want to avoid being punished in the top flight.

The arrival of Alfie Mawson should help sort out these errors, yet with the Englishman still not completely fit, Fulham must hope their back four can solidify shortly.

The future looks bright to Fulham's youngsters

A great moment during the match came when Steven Sessegnon was substituted on and joined his twin brother Ryan on the pitch.

It was an encouraging and heartwarming image to have the two young players playing together, and they were joined by fellow academy graduate Marlon Fossey.

The young American also acquitted himself well on the right side of defence, revealing the bright future for Fulham's youngsters.

https://tbrfootball.com/three-things-fulham-celta-vigo/

WhiteJC

One to watch: Fulham's 18-year-old winger Ryan Sessegnon
Introducing The Boot Room's 2018/19 One to Watch series...

Fulham teenager Ryan Sessegnon, still only 18 years of age, is about to undergo his first season as a Premier League footballer after helping guide the Cottagers to a promotion from the Sky Bet Championship last season.

There, the Englishman started the season playing at left-back before transitioning into a left-wing role in the second-half of the season, scoring 14 times in the last 29 games of the season.

Playing Style

Since his move further up the field, Sessegnon has developed into an efficient wide-poacher.

Repeatedly last season, he was able to work into the right spaces to both score and assist despite not being a consistent presence throughout games, being more of an impact player with minimal touches than an all-round offensive threat.

It does not mean that defenders can afford to give him less attention.

Sessegnon is so quick in transition and such an excellent decision-maker in counter-attacking situations, it prevents opposition full-backs from committing to overloading his flank offensively.

Furthermore, with his experience in a more defensive role, the 18-year-old can track back effectively which may prove important as Fulham are potentially forced into a slightly more defensive structure this season.

He is a tactically clever player, too.

He is routinely switching wings, knows how to work with the full-back behind him to ensure defensive solidity and simply knows where to position himself to be impactful.

"He's a terrific talent. His shot conversion ratio is astonishing, he usually only needs one chance. He is a really unique talent. He is one of the best 17-year-olds we have seen at this level for a long, long time."
Former Derby manager Gary Rowett, after the Rams were beaten in the play-offs by Fulham.

Season Ahead

Importantly, the Fulham winger is set for a season as an undisputed Premier League starter.

After proving himself at Championship level last season, Fulham's promotion grants him the opportunity to enjoy a natural progression to a higher level of football.

It could potentially prove to be a season in which he is able to showcase his talents to England and Europe's elite clubs.

https://tbrfootball.com/ryan-sessegnon-fulham/

WhiteJC

Obiang would be the ideal link between defence and attack for Fulham

Fulham have made an offer for West Ham United midfielder Pedro Obiang, according to Tuttomercatoweb.

What's the word?

The Cottagers' transfer activity will certainly have sent a message to their rivals ahead of the club's Premier League return.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side has been bolstered with the additions of six new faces, including Jean-Michael Seri, Andre Schurrle and Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Now, according to Tuttomercatoweb, the London club have turned their attention to West Ham's Obiang, who is also reportedly wanted by Sampdoria.

If Fulham want to get this deal over the line, then they will have to move quickly as the transfer window closes in four days' time.

Is Obiang right for Fulham?

In order to survive in the Premier League, the Cottagers need a figure in the middle of the park that can flit between defence and attack.

Obiang has the qualities to fulfil that role, particularly as he can cause an impact in both areas of the pitch.

When trying to stop the opposition from finding a way through, the midfielder tends to be in the right place at the right time to intercept passes and block shots.

Obiang is also rarely muscled off the ball when in possession, and in terms of his attacking contribution, he can read the game well and offer support to his forward teammates.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/fulham/obiang-would-be-the-ideal-link-between-defence-and-attack-for-fulham

WhiteJC

Fulham should make a big money move to sign this pacey England striker

Fulham will be looking to get their season off to a good start next weekend as they return to the top flight after a three year hiatus.

A summer of big spending has given manager Slavisa Jokanovic every chance of keeping the Cottagers in the top flight and possibly more, and we here a the Transfer Tavern are excited to see how the season pans out for the Craven Cottage club.

However, we also believe a bit more firepower might be needed despite the addition of Aleksandar Mitrovic, and one man we think would be a superb signing, is England forward Danny Welbeck.

The England international might not always be everyone's cup of tea, but he has the talent and Premier League experience to make a real impact for a club like Fulham on their return to the top flight.

Welbeck is quick, good in front of goal, and has a winning mentality engrained in him from his time with Manchester United and now Arsenal.

For Fulham to stay up, they are going to have to bang the goals in, and Welbeck would appear to fit in nicely alongisde the current crop of attacking talent at the Cottage.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/fulham-should-make-a-big-money-move-to-sign-this-pacey-england-striker/

WhiteJC

Fulham making waves as they eye Theo Hernandez and Dennis Praet
The Cottagers could be set to secure quite a coup.

Photo: Getty Images

Fulham's business in the transfer market this summer has caught the eye and Slavisla Jokanovic's side are eyeing further additions.

The Cottagers have drafted Aleksandr Mitrovic, Andre Schurrle and Jean-Michel Seri in as big-money arrivals in the close season as they prepare for life back in the Premier League but the next two deals in the offing show Fulham are here to stay.

The Daily Mail states Fulham have lodged an enquiry with Real Madrid regarding the services of 20-year-old full-back Theo Hernandez, who they want to sign on-loan, and are also chasing Sampdoria's Dennis Praet.

(Photo by Marco Canoniero/LightRocket via Getty Images)

Hernandez moved across Madrid last summer from Atletico and made 13 LaLiga appearances in his debut campaign, adding a further three games in Los Blancos' Champions League success, but increased opportunities are difficult to come by due to competition with Brazil international Marcelo.

Fulham are in the market for a full-back after failing to agree terms with Southampton to bring Matt Targett to Craven Cottage, after he impressed on-loan in the second half of last season, and need an addition in this area to allow Ryan Sessegnon to excel in a more advanced position.

Hernandez would also cap-off a superb defensive rebuild that has taken place in west London, joining the likes of Fabri, Alfie Mawson and Maxime Le Marchand as new faces at the back, providing the platform for a memorable season.

Praet, meanwhile, has been regularly linked with a move to the Premier League throughout his two seasons at Sampdoria after moving to Italy from Anderlecht and would be a superb midfield partner to Seri, putting Fulham on course to take the top-flight by storm.

"He's a good player, there's no doubt about that,"
– Zinedine Zidane praised Hernandez prior to his switch but he struggled in Madrid.

Early predictions ahead of the new season have already seen Fulham backed by many to shine and these two additions would certainly put the Cottagers in with a solid chance of securing a top-half finish, while also presenting the platform to succeed in the years ahead.

Securing the additions will be tough though, with Spanish outlet Marca stating Real Sociedad are the club in prime position to land Theo Hernandez for the season ahead.

https://tbrfootball.com/fulham-praet-hernandez/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic not slowing down as Praet joins Fulham's transfer wishlist

Fulham enquire about the availability of Dennis Praet ahead of a potential move for the Sampdoria midfielder, according to the Daily Mail.

What's the word?

Fulham have surprised everyone by landing some high-profile stars in this summer's transfer window.

Jean-Michael Seri and Andre Schurrle are two of six players that have arrived at Craven Cottage.

Aleksandar Mitrovic, Alfie Mawson, Fabricio and Maxime Le Marchand have also been recruited by the Cottagers.

Next on the list seems to be Sampdoria's Praet, as the Daily Mail reports that an enquiry has been made.

What would Praet provide?

The Belgian midfielder has been part of the Italian club since his 2016 switch from Anderlecht.

In total, the midfielder, who is valued at £22.5m by Transfermarkt, has made 68 appearances for the club.

Last season, Fulham impressed with their positive style of play, and it is a system that Praet can fit into.

Manager Slavisa Jokanovic can play the Belgian either in the centre of the park, slightly further forward or as a left winger.

Fulham will be playing less league games than when they were in the Championship, but the pressure will be greater as the club try to stay in the Premier League.

Having enough bodies in the squad will help the Cottagers cope with the demand, and Praet is certainly an addition that would be useful.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/fulham/jokanovic-not-slowing-down-as-praet-joins-fulhams-transfer-wishlist

WhiteJC

Fulham return to spark Mitrovic in FPL

The Scout says the Serb's stats and early fixtures can help Fantasy managers seeking a cut-price forward

The return of Aleksandar Mitrovic (£6.5m) to Fulham could be a big deal for Fantasy Premier League managers seeking a cut-price forward.

The Serb was transformed by a loan move from Newcastle United to Fulham last term.

After just one goal in six appearances for Newcastle in the first half of last season, Mitrovic provided 12 goals and an assist after his move to London, finishing as Fulham's second-top goalscorer in 2017/18.

That was despite featuring in just 17 Championship matches.

Mighty White

Only Ryan Sessegnon (£6.5m), with 15 league goals in 46 appearances, was more prolific.

The underlying statistics back up Mitrovic's potential in Fantasy.

Playing as a lone striker, he fired 68 shots on goal and created 18 chances for the Cottagers.

Impressively, his total of 29 shots on target were more than any Fulham player last season.

Fulham's attack in 2017/18

Mitrovic   Sessegnon   Johansen   Cairney   
Mins/shot      20.3    72.1   45.4    52.7   
Mins/chance created   76.8     77.7   39.5   43.6   
Mins/goal assist    106.4   175.7   226.9   279.3   

Home advantage

This suggests the 23-year-old can exploit a promising run of opening home opponents.

Fulham's first three home matches, against Crystal Palace, Burnley and Watford, total just seven in the Fixture Difficulty Ranking (FDR).

So if he can continue from where he left off last season, Mitrovic can become a key source of goals among cut-price forwards.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/790850

WhiteJC

Calum Chambers set for medical at Fulham after Arsenal agree to let him move on season-long loan

The 23-year-old defender is expected for medical at Craven Cottage on Monday
    Calum Chambers agreed a new four-year deal in July and is set to sign on loan
    Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic is in desperate need of experienced defenders

Calum Chambers is expected for a medical at Fulham on Monday after Arsenal agreed to let him move to Craven Cottage.

The 23-year-old defender agreed a new four-year contract in July and is expected to sign on a season's loan.

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic is in desperate need of experienced defenders as Alfie Mawson is not expected to be fully fit until September.

Calum Chambers is set for medical at Fulham on Monday after Arsenal agreed to let him move

Chambers can cover a number of positions but Fulham still need another centre back.

They had made a bid to sign Yerry Mina on loan from Barcelona though he has spoken to other clubs including Everton and Manchester United.

The Premier League newcomers have signed six players so far in the summer transfer window, which closes on Thursday.

The defender agreed a new four-year deal in July and is expected to sign on a season's loan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6029341/Arsenals-Calum-Chambers-set-medical-Fulham.html

WhiteJC

Fulham plotting a surprise move for Real Madrid defender: Pros and cons of a potential transfer

According to reports from The Sun, Fulham are interested in signing Real Madrid star Theo Hernandez on a season-long loan deal. The former Atleti fullback appeared out of touch during his first season at the Bernabeu and the European champions are likely to ship him out this summer.

It is believed that the Cottagers are willing to offer Real Madrid £1.75 million in order to lure the player to London with Madrid likely to retain a buy-back option. He was previously linked with a move to Real Sociedad. But, La Real reportedly can't afford his wages, which has served as a blessing for Fulham, it seems.

Player stats – Pros and cons

Generally advertised as an attack-minded full-back, Theo Hernandez is someone who likes to use his offensive attributes to provide a threat to the opposition defence. While he may not have the similar attributes as compared to the mercurial Marcelo, he is definitely more sound.

In fact, he was rated as the new Sergio Ramos by the Real Madrid scouts back when he initially moved to the Bernabeu last summer. But, it's his intelligence and craft which makes him a unique component in defence.

Despite a disappointing season, the Frenchman attempted 2.5 tackles per game along with just over 1  interception, which is certainly not bad for a fullback. In addition, he has also made 1 clearance and attempted over 3 dribbles per game, which is significantly more than Marcelo.

However, he may want to improve on his productivity in the final third, if he is to establish himself as an offensive left-back. Even more so in the Premier League, where crosses become a key part of the game, the Frenchman will want to improve on his key pass ratio.

Why do Fulham need him?

Theo Hernandez will be a fantastic signing for Fulham due to their lack of options in the left-back position. In fact, head coach Slavisa Jokanovic apparently has no reliable option in the left-back department following the departure of Matt Targett, who moved back to his parent club Southampton at the end of last season.

As a result, the newly promoted Premier League side are in dire need of someone who can not only replace him but also strengthen their defensive department. And Hernandez is an ideal candidate, given his quality and potential.

Thus, the Fulham fans should be excited by the arrival of this highly talented Frenchman, who is more than capable of making a difference at West London next season.

https://madaboutepl.net/2018/08/fulham-plotting-a-surprise-move-for-real-madrid-defender-theo-hernandez/

WhiteJC

Chambers to have Fulham medical tomorrow

Arsenal defender Calum Chambers is due to have a medical at Fulham tomorrow ahead of a proposed season-long loan at Craven Cottage.

The 23 year-old centre back has been a longstanding Fulham target with the Whites' attempts to sign him on a permanent basis earlier in the summer being rebuffed by new Arsenal manager Unai Emery. Chambers signed a new four-year contract at the Emirates last month, but is willing to join the newly promoted club on loan in order to get regular first team football.

Fulham moved to add reinforcements in defence after it emerged that new signing Alfie Mawson might not make his debut until September as he seeks to build up his fitness following knee surgery. Head coach Slavisa Jokanovic alluded to his desperation to bring in more defensive cover after Saturday's 2-2 draw with Celta Vigo in their final pre-season friendly and the Londoners made an audacious bid to take Colombian defender Yery Mina on loan from Barcelona late last week.

Chambers, who has won three England senior caps, has made 83 appearances for Arsenal since moving to the Emirates from Southampton in an £18m deal four years ago. His versatility means he could cover at least two problem positions for Fulham – centre back, where the Whites are without Denis Odoi for the first two league games of the season after his sending off in the play-off final, and right back, where there is a lack of experienced cover for Cyrus Christie.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/chambers-to-have-fulham-medical-tomorrow/

WhiteJC

Report: Calum Chambers set for Fulham medical

According to a report in the Daily Mail, which we won't link to because it's a hateful winker-rag with scumbag racist, sexist, misogynistic tendencies, Calum Chambers is going to have a medical with Fulham ahead of a loan move for the 2018-19 season.

I don't know if we should take this at face value or not, but it seems to be a thing doing the rounds this evening.

We here, having had a few beers this evening, feel as if this would be a shame, particularly because Calum is very handsome and this team has lost some of its 'OOOOF' after Olivier Giroud left last season.

We would prefer if Shkodran Mustafi joined Fulham but clearly Unai Emery disagrees which makes us wonder about his ability to judge beauty. Of course this is not exactly the measure of a good footballer – we've had many down the years who haven't been much to look at, but still.

Anyway, the point is that Chambers appears to be leaving and from our list of centre-halves he would definitely not be top of our list.

We look forward to more stuff from other chaps who might do things and then we can all say 'WTF?' and now it's time for another beer.

Alas poor Calum, we hardly knew thee.

ps – Pigeons and bluebottles are total dickheads

https://news.arseblog.com/2018/08/report-calum-chambers-set-for-fulham-medical/

WhiteJC

Why Burnley over Fulham would be ideal for this promising 21-year-old starlet

Why Josh Onomah must snub interest from Fulham and join Burnley

Premier League duo Burnley and Fulham are keen on acquiring Tottenham Hotspur starlet Josh Onomah this summer (h/t Irish Mirror).

Onomah, 21, spent the previous season on loan at Aston Villa and impressed massively. He scored 4 goals and supplied 3 assists in 33 Championship games as Villa narrowly missed out on promotion.

While Steve Bruce's Villa also remain interested in bringing him back to the club, Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino is reluctant to let Onomah leave on loan (h/t Irish Mirror).

Spurs are yet to make a single signing this summer. With midfielders Victor Wanyama, Harry Winks and Moussa Sissoko out injured, the likes of Eric Dier and Mousa Dembele are enjoying their extended World Cup holidays.

It is indeed a tricky situation for Onomah since he must choose between staying put at Tottenham and leaving for another loan spell. As it stands, Tottenham simply don't have the numbers in the midfield to let the young Englishman leave but Burnley and Fulham must try their level best to sign the promising youngster.

Burnley are also yet to make a single signing this summer and Onomah is a great option for the Clarets. The club enjoyed an astonishing campaign last season, finishing 7th in the Premier League and doing so handed them a Europa League berth.

Nevertheless, Sean Dyche must bring in new reinforcements. A loan deal for Onomah, in particular, could work out well for all parties involved.

Onomah had an inconsistent campaign in the Championship with Aston Villa but he is a talented player. Despite playing 13 times for Spurs so far, he has failed to carve a niche for himself at the club. He may receive more first-team opportunities next season but it would be better if he leaves north London for another loan spell.

Onomah is a versatile player who can play in numerous midfield positions. However, he must introduce a sense of consistency and aggressiveness to his game to thrive in the Premier League. Under the watchful eyes of Dyche, who expects every player to work hard with and without the ball, the 21-year-old midfield ace could enjoy a sustained period of game time this season.

At 21, Onomah needs to play regularly to continue his development. A move to Burnley would provide him with the opportunity to play regularly and improve his overall style.

A box-to-box midfielder with an eye for the goal, Onomah could be an exciting addition for the Clarets.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/08/06/why-burnley-over-fulham-would-be-ideal-for-this-promising-21-year-old-starlet/