watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (08/08/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 08, 2018, 07:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Roy Hodgson outlines what he expects from Fulham as Crystal Palace prepare for 'severe test'

Eagles manager relishing return to Fulham for season opener in the Premier League

Roy Hodgson says it would be a major mistake not to expect anything but a tough game as Crystal Palace travel to face his old side Fulham on Saturday.

The Eagles make the short trip to west London to face the newly-promoted Whites at Craven Cottage, with Palace going into the game unbeaten from their five first team friendlies in pre-season.

But Hodgson says that while it is great to have won games in pre-season, he insists there are tougher tests ahead of his side, starting with the trip to face the side he guided to the Europa League final in 2010.

"We have 38 tough games to come, the moment we start kidding ourselves its not going to be that way will be a major mistake," Hodgson told Palace TV after the Eagles' 4-1 win against Toulouse on Saturday.

"And in particular playing a team like Fulham, who have been out of the league for four years, but have now come back to the place where I believe they belong, so it will be a big occasion with a fantastic atmosphere and we will be put to a severe test that day."

"I am just hoping that the good stuff we have experienced in this pre-season will stay with us and we will find the extra edge to our game that we may need to compete with a Premier League opponent as opposed to those we have met so far."

https://www.football.london/crystal-palace-fc/fixtures-results/hodgson-outlines-what-expect-fulham-14991900

WhiteJC

St Étienne have rejected a loan with option to buy offer from Fulham for Ole Selnaes

St Étienne have rejected a loan with option to buy offer from Premier League side Fulham for Norwegian midfielder Ole Selnaes, according to our reliable colleagues at Yahoo Sports FR.

The offer cheekily did not even include a loan fee, with this being the 3rd consecutive window that Fulham have attempted to sign Selnaes.

We await to see if Fulham will make a revised offer or not.

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2018/st-etienne-have-rejected-a-loan-with-option-to-buy-offer-from-fulham-for-ole-selnaes/

WhiteJC

Fulham have 'dropped out' of signing player, despite him skipping training over move

Kara Mbodj has been repeatedly linked with a move to the Premier League in recent years and several times a transfer has seemed close.

The defender has wanted the move, and when things have broken down in the past he's made no secret of his frustration and has agitated at Anderlecht before being brought back into the fold.

Fulham have been the latest club linked with the player and a few days ago it was reported in Belgium that the Premier League club had the 'most concrete' interest and a move to the Cottagers would be the 'ideal scenario'.

Then it was reported that despite Kara attracting interest from France, a transfer to England seemed to be the preference.

HLN's Tuesday edition explains that Fulham have now 'dropped out' of the running. It's stated Kara has missed training for the past few days because of transfer talks over an 'imminent departure' but things haven't come to fruition.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-dropped-signing-player-despite-skipping-training-move/

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

This weekend was the first round of EFL matches for the season and four of Fulham's Academy players were involved for their new loan clubs.

Stephen Humphrys was on the winning side for Scunthorpe United in their fixture away to Coventry City for the first League One fixture of the season. He claimed a goal and an assist on his debut for the Iron.

After going a goal down Humphrys scored the equaliser in the 68th minute, bursting between the lines and dinking the ball past the 'keeper with his left foot.

Things got better as Scunthorpe took the lead through an Andy Dales strike, with the assist coming from a Humphrys looping header. The goal turned out to be the winner as Scunthorpe claimed all three points at the Ricoh Arena.

Tayo Edun had an equally important impact in his debut for Ipswich Town in the Championship. Coming on from the bench for his debut, he scored an injury time equaliser against Blackburn Rovers in the 91st minute.

The score was 2-1 when Edun made his way onto the pitch in the 60th minute for Flynn Downes. He crossed from outside the box and the ball drifted around the Blackburn defence and past 'keeper David Raya into the back of the net, grasping a last minute point for Town.

Elijah Adebayo made his debut for Swindon Town at home in League Two on Saturday afternoon and was also on the winning side of a dramatic 3-2 victory, as the Robbins capitalised twice deep into injury time.

Michael Doughty scored a hat trick, with his last two coming from the penalty spot.

Adebayo started for Town and played the full 90 minutes, he had a hand in the second goal as he won the penalty that drew them level in the 96th minute. Swindon then went on to score another penalty to claim all three points two minutes later.

Back in the Championship it was a difficult start for Marek Rodák and newly promoted Rotherham United, as they were beaten 5-1 by Brentford in their trip to Griffin Park.

Rodák made 5 saves throughout the match.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/07/loan-round-up

WhiteJC

EXCLUSIVE: Leeds, Fulham, Swansea in hunt for former Wednesday star

Fulham, Leeds United and Swansea City are leading the chase to sign free agent midfielder Sean Clare, TEAMtalk can exclusively reveal.

The 21-year-old left Sheffield Wednesday last month when his contract expired at Hillsborough, after he rejected the chance to stay.

Aston Villa had tied up a deal, but their financial issues earlier this summer saw the deal fall through.

Whilst Villa remain keen, their failure to push through the move has seen rivals step in, and now a number of other clubs have stepped in to hold talks with Clare.

The 21-year-old Clare came through the youth ranks at Wednesday, after joining from the Nike Academy in 2016, but now he is set to leave after rejecting a new deal.

Because Clare is under 23, Wednesday will be due compensation, but it will be nowhere near Clare's actual value.

Leeds have held a long-standing interest in Clare, and their need has increased following an injury sustained by Adam Forshaw that will see the midfielder sidelined for up to eight weeks.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-leeds-fulham-swansea-all-in-hunt-for-former-wednesday-star

WhiteJC

Transfer Rumour Round Up: Part 7

Sound the klaxon, the summer transfer window is near completion and it's evident that Slavisa Jokanovic still needs a few more fresh faces in the set-up if his squad is going to survive next term, and having stressed that to the media after Fulham's 2-2 draw with La Liga outfit Celta Vigo on Saturday, it's thought that the coming week will be an extremely frantic one for the Serbian boss and his recruitment staff. Fulhamish's very own Cameron Ramsey walks you through the latest!

It's been a superb summer in terms of business, however, and though defensively we seem to be a tad thin, there's genuine talent and leadership across the park at our disposal and what's more promising is that we're staying true to our vibrant, calculated brand of play on the turf.

But, as we all know, there's nothing quite like a turbulent deadline day to get the blood pumping before the clash against Crystal Palace at Craven Cottage, and if we know Tony Khan and co. as well as we think we do, they'll be scheming and finalising top-drawer deals as we read through this little paragraph – what a pleasing thought that is, perhaps they're signing the relevant papers now, the anticipation is an absolute killer! Read on, but please, keep an eye glued on the timeline just in case, things are sure to get very interesting indeed.

Theo Hernandez – Real Madrid
Fulham are still scanning for a full-back to accompany Ryan Sessegnon along the left channel, and a report published by Daily Mail suggests that the Whites are plotting a sensational season-long loan swoop for Real Madrid's 20-year-old left-back Theo Hernandez.

Other reports have stated that Los Blancos would demand at least £1.75m from any chasing suitor to temporarily prise the Marseille-born defender away from the Santiago Bernabeu, and as Real Sociedad allegedly can't afford his £40,000-a-week wages, an opening has been paved for Fulham to take advantage.

Hernandez signed a 6-year contract at the Galacticos last summer having jumped ship from bitter local rivals Atletico Madrid, although after featuring in just 13 domestic outings last term, a stint away from the monopolising Spanish giants would indefinitely aid his development as an aspiring Real star.

Jetro Willems – Eintracht Frankfurt
If the Whites' pursuit of Hernandez comes to no avail, it's said that the club – as per a report provided by De Telegraaf (via Sport Witness) – will turn their attention to Eintracht Frankfurt's tireless Dutchman Jetro Willems, who joined the Bundesliga outfit last year from Eredivisie champions PSV Eindhoven.

The newly-promoted Cottagers supposedly contacted Frankfurt and enquired about Willems' asking price, but as the 24-year-old only penned a deal at his current employers in the previous summer, it's thought that Die Adler will stand firm in their attempts to hold on to the industrious defender.

Willems has 22 senior international caps for Netherlands and played 29 times for Frankfurt in all competitions in the 2017-18 campaign. Willems is known to commit opponents when surging down the flank and also has a threatening final product – he and Sess' would form a prolific partnership if he was to ply his trade down by the river.

Dennis Praet – UC Sampdoria
A vigorous midfield will serve Fulham well next season and Daily Mail understands that the Whites are tailing UC Sampdoria's Belgian metronome Dennis Praet, who is renowned for his incisive distribution and peerless vision both on and off the ball.

Having graduated from RSC Anderlecht's youth system in 2011, the 24-year-old gained 182 appearances for the Jupiler Pro League outfit and also netted 27 goals alongside 39 assists, a striking marker of his underlying influence in the centre of the park.

Praet moved to his current Serie A employers in the summer of 2016 and has since flourished into an inexhaustible box-to-box midfielder, a trait which is almost tailor-made for the requirements needed to compete at the height of the English game.

Ole Selnaes – St Etienne
Subject to a report published by the Mirror, Fulham are supposedly ready to lodge a bid to snag St. Etienne midfielder Ole Selnaes on loan for the imminent season, however it's said that the Ligue 1 side would prefer to flog the Norwegian holding-midfielder on a permanent basis.

Selnaes, 24, is a sturdy patrolling anchor and would directly contest Kevin McDonald as the club's undisputed midfield buffer, and being a younger option, it's been proposed that he would ultimately succeed the Scotland international once his services aren't as effective as they certainly are now.

The sturdy enforcer has been at the Stade Geoffroy-Guichard since 2016 after departing Rosenborg BK and has also accumulated 17 caps for Norway, and as his fellow countryman Stefan Johansen is already on the club's books, perhaps Selnaes could be tempted into packing his bags for English shores after all, as 'StefJo' would presumably provide a glowing insight into life as a Fulham player, of course.

Gianluca Lapadula – Genoa
TMW Web – via Football Italia – cites that Fulham and Super Lig outfit Besiktas JK are both said to be monitoring Genoa's Italian hit-man Gianluca Lapadula, who is incidentally valued at €15m by the Serie A club having recently signed the 28-year-old from domestic counterparts AC Milan for an alleged €11m figure.

On loan at the Rossoblu last season from Milan, Lapadula registered 6 goals in 28 appearances, a record which isn't necessarily a prolific return, however his undeniable experience at the summit of the European platform would make him a worthy understudy to the menacing Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Genoa President Enrico Preziosi is supposedly open to considering offers for the former Rossoneri striker although they would have to recoup the initial sum that was paid to lure him away from the San Siro, so if Fulham are wanting a relatively assured marksman, the door's seemingly been left ajar for them to make their case known.

https://fulhamish.co.uk/post/2018-08-07-transfer-rumour-round-up-part-7/

WhiteJC

Brede On Board

Brede Hangeland will be penning a regular column on fulhamfc.com throughout the 2018/19 season.

Added to the thoughts on Tony Gale and Sean Davis, we now have three Fulham heroes from different eras providing their expert opinion and analysis on the official website.

Arguably the finest defender to wear the white from our Premier League days, Hangeland made 272 appearances during his six-and-a-half years as a player at the Club, scoring 12 times – a number of which were critical goals.

Following his retirement, Brede moved into the media and now works extensively on the Premier League for TV2, the biggest television network in his native Norway.

And we're now back in the top flight, who better to give their insight to the fans on all things Fulham and Premier League related?

Brede's first column will be published on fulhamfc.com later today, in which he discusses his reactions watching the Play-Off Final in a pub in Stavanger, Roy Hodgson's return to Craven Cottage on Saturday, and the main challenges facing the team this coming season

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/07/brede-hangeland-on-board

WhiteJC

John Hartson: Dedryck Boyata for £9m? If Celtic hang onto him he'll be worth £29m

I think Dedryck Boyata owes Celtic a debt.

I don't think he should be running out the door to another club after the way that Brendan Rodgers stood by him at Celtic. There has been a bit of chat about £9m on the table for him from Fulham – hang on to him and you could get £29m.

£9m? Stick with Celtic where there is the possibility of Champions League football, of winning trophies and staying in that national side and his value will only go up.

Fulham have just paid £20m for Alfie Mawson. The lad has played just 18 months of Premier League football. He hasn't played in the Champions League. He hasn't been to a World Cup. So if you are Celtic then you are thinking, well, if we get Boyata on a long-term deal it works out well for all parties. His value won't go down if he keeps on progressing. There will be interest in him this time next year.

I know that there is no real loyalty in football. We all know Celtic can't compete with the wages that are on offer south of the border. And I also know that Boyata's agent was proving a little elusive when Celtic were trying to discuss a contract before the World Cup. But to me, it's one where you have to look at the bigger picture.

Dedryck has had times as a Celtic player when it just wasn't happening for him. He has had times when he wasn't playing, when his game was strewn with mistakes and you could feel the lack of confidence from him every time he walked onto the pitch.

I think the manager got the best out of him and got him to the level where he has found himself in a Belgian squad that finished third at the World Cup this summer. So I am sure that he'll be in a good place.

But now that it looks as though there is a little bit of interest in him, I think he owes Celtic a decent run at it.

If he does that then his value will go through the roof. The defender can continue to develop at Celtic and is given the platform to play on the biggest stage of all and if he keeps producing solid performances then there will still be interest there. He could be the next big money player who leaves the club to go south of the border.

But while we all know that Fulham have spent a bit of money this season and will look to sustain their top flight status, not for the world could you ever say that the London club are bigger than Celtic.

They are a good club. They have the money that all Premier League clubs have so they can pay the wages but when it comes to the actual football side of things, Celtic wins hands down every time.

I also think that as a player it does you so much good to have a manager that has faith in you. Brendan has clearly worked with Dedryck and re-energised him and I think if I was his agent my advice to him would be to get himself on a long-term deal at Celtic and focus on pushing to get to that next level again.

I don't think that he will start against AEK Athens tomorrow night because it probably just comes around a little too soon for him. It might be that he finds himself on the bench for the game but the good thing is that Celtic are starting to come into their own in terms of getting a fully fit squad.

If they can get through this first leg against the Greeks with a strong result then by the time they head to Athens for the game next week then they are stronger again.

Tom Rogic looked back to his best at the weekend. The lad ran the show against Livingston and Oliver Ntcham is another who has become a really big player for Celtic. Brendan will have been relieved that the injury he seemed to pick up on Saturday hasn't really come to anything.

I have to say that I think that Kristoffer Ajer has done particularly well in this qualification phase. For a young lad, he has been excellent and he played very well against Rosenborg which I am sure will have pleased him on a personal level.

I suspect he'll start tomorrow night alongside Jozo Simunovic. The key thing is that Celtic need to keep it tight at the back and take their chances at the other end.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16402068.john-hartson-dedryck-boyata-for-9m-if-celtic-hang-onto-him-hell-be-worth-29m/

WhiteJC

The Brede Hangeland Column

Firstly, I am very happy and honoured that I have been asked to share my thoughts on Fulham with the Whites faithful on a regular basis. As you all know, Fulham remains very close to my heart and always will. I had my most memorable years as a professional footballer at Fulham and I have made great friends for life.

On that note, finally we are approaching Matchday One in the greatest football league in the world, and seeing Fulham on the list of Premier League teams gives me a great feeling. As we count down the days until the opener at the Cottage, my thoughts go back to that fantastic afternoon at Wembley, when everything there is to love about Fulham was there to see for the entire footballing world. We saw a team playing quality football with passion and determination, in front of a fantastic white wall of supporters. For me personally it was a complete rollercoaster of emotions, a nervous 90 minutes followed by joyful euphoria afterwards. I felt so happy and proud of everyone on and off the pitch. Fulham had very kindly invited me to come over to watch the game, but I had to turn down the offer as I knew I would barely be able to watch. As it turned out I watched the game in a bar back in my hometown of Stavanger. It was the day of the Champions League Final, and the bar was full of Norwegian Liverpool fans, but I still think the two loudest screams that day were mine, the first when Tom Cairney scored and the second on the final whistle.

So Fulham finally return to the Premier League, and all the hard work of countless people has been rewarded. I always felt a level of personal responsibility for having been part of the team that got relegated in 2014, so it feels great to be able to put that to bed. The last Premier League match to be played at the Cottage was the ultimate game of the 2013/14 season. We had been relegated the previous week at Stoke and I remember a strange atmosphere as we played out a 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace. As you know, I went on to join Palace that summer, and stayed there two seasons until my retirement in 2016. In yet another strange twist of fate, my old mentor Roy Hodgson and the wonderful Ray Lewington are now in charge of Palace when they make the short trip to the Cottage on Saturday. Needless to say, this will be an emotional afternoon at the greatest football ground in the world, and when the Premier League fixture list came out, I made it my mission to make sure I would be there for the game. My boss at TV2 Norway needed little convincing, and so I will be doing commentary at Craven Cottage when Fulham take on Crystal Palace. Life does indeed work in mysterious ways. Perhaps Gentleman Jim will be able to make any sense of it when we have tea at half time!

After my retirement in 2016, I went straight into a new role on the Premier League show in Norway, doing punditry and commentary for TV2. As a consequence, I have extensive knowledge on everything in the Premier League, and over the duration of the season I will of course share some of that with you in this column.

But, safe to say, Crystal Palace will need little introduction with Roy being their manager. I was extremely pleased for Roy and Ray at the end of last season, having secured Palace's PL-status after a horrendous start to the campaign, and also with a number of key players injured. Roy proved once again what a fantastic manager he is, and his reputation has been firmly re-established after the Euro 2016 exit as England manager. I am sure all Fulham fans wish Roy all the best (for 36 games of the season). Palace will be compact, disciplined and dangerous on the counter, a tough test for Fulham on their Premier League return.

As for Fulham, it has been a very busy summer in the transfer market, and the likes of Tony Khan and Alistair Mackintosh, along with Chairman Shahid Khan, deserve credit for all their hard work in securing some very exciting additions to the squad. The top level in the Premier League these days is bordering on frightening, so I think it was necessary to add some quality to the squad this summer.

As I see it, Fulham's two main challenges this season are as follows:

Firstly, the new players need to be integrated in the squad as swiftly as possible. Knowing the way Fulham do their transfer business, any new signing is the result of a very thorough and professional process, and so the quality will be there. Once the new players walk through the gates at Motspur Park, it is a case of making them feel at home and making them understand the Fulham DNA. Everyone needs to be the best version of themselves, putting all their energy into improving the team. Knowing all the great people behind the scenes at Fulham, from the staff upstairs to the medical department, there is every chance that the new players will soon realise what generations of Fulham players have come to learn: I am at a great club here, and our time is now!

Secondly, Fulham need to find their feet at the Premier League level. The playing style last year was both entertaining and effective, but might need some tweaking in the Premier League. As I see it, it is a case of finding the balance between being open and having courage on the ball, and being solid and competitive off the ball. The higher the level of football, the more important it is to strike the perfect balance in this respect. Slaviša Jokanović, who did such a tremendous job last season, is of course well aware of this.

I will end this first column with a note to the Fulham supporters. It is only when I look back that I can fully appreciate what a privilege it was to play in front of the Fulham faithful for so many years. In all my time at Fulham and in the years after, I have yet to come across a Fulham fan that wasn't a nice person, and that, for me, is the essence of this football club. And so, when the Whites once again walk out to compete in the Premier League on Saturday, I hope you are proud, and that you enjoy every moment. Because a club is nothing without supporters, and this particular set of supporters deserve Premier League football.

Come on Fulham!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/07/the-brede-hangeland-column

WhiteJC

Fulhamerica: Who's The Next?

Fulham have been a haven for player's looking to move from the MLS and advance their careers in Europe. With the likes of Clint Dempsey, Brian McBride, and current centerback, Tim Ream, who will be the next American to join the ranks? Greg Margolis highlights the next batch of young talent from the United States.

Fulham have a great history of employing players from the US. I myself, became a fan of the club because of Clint Dempsey, who played at the club I grew up watching, the New England Revolution. Other players, like Brian McBride, who captained the squad and was a part of the Great Escape campaign, and Carlos Bocanegra, a defensive rock during his time at the club, are two of the many who have passed through Craven Cottage.

Nowadays, Tim Ream has solidified the back four and was a massive piece in the puzzle that was last season's rise to Championship Playoff glory. The United States Developmental Academy has underwent a massive overhaul, with a structure more representative of how things operate in Europe.

Along with many players moving overseas at a young age, there have been a flurry of young players with huge potential, waiting to be snatched up by major clubs. Christian Pulisic (Broussia Dortmond) and Weston McKennie (Schalke 04) have set the stage for the new wave of players from the United States, with a handful that could be the next to join the Fulhamerica ranks.

Tyler Adams: 19, New York Red Bulls,Midfielder/Full Back
Adams is a product of the Red Bulls youth academy, making his debut back in 2015. He didn't made much a name for himself until last season though, and is not featuring consistently at the National level just yet. That said, with his incredible technical skill, and unrivaled pace, Adams has the potential to be a star in his own right.

He is not someone who would thrive in a big club environment, at least not right away, and would do well to break into the European game by joining a club like Fulham. Adams is someone who could transition immediately, especially under Slavisa Jokanovic, as his style of play fits very well with how Fulham are currently operating.

What makes him an even more enticing prospect is his versatility. Adams came up as a right back in the Red Bulls academy, but has transitioned into the defensive midfield role. His ability to play anywhere down the flank, and through the middle, makes him a steal at only $5 million right now. RB Leipzig were rumored to have been looking to add him to their ranks this summer, but nothing has been finalised as of yet. He would add great depth to Fulham this year, and be one for the future of the club moving forward.

Matt Miazga, 23, Chelsea FC, Center Back
Another product of the New York Red Bulls Academy, Miazga moved to Chelsea in 2016. Falling into the typical Chelsea buy-and-loan nonsense, Miazga has spent all of his time with Vitesse in the Dutch Eredivisie. Over the past two years, Matt has been a consistent presence in Vitesse's defense, helping them finish in top 10 in 2016-2017 and top 5 last season. He has also found himself a consistent spot at the international level as well, partnering with Tim Ream on occasion.

Miazga is quality in possession and a solid aerial threat in the box. He would be another who could fit Slavisa's system, with plenty of room to develop in an environment that would be far more reliable and consistent. It sounds like Miazga is on his way to France on yet another loan, but is someone who could be purchased on the cheap from just down the road in the near future.

Josh Sargent, 18, Werder Bremen, Forward
Sargent's path is an interesting one, having never really signed for a club until February of this year, when he signed with Werder Bremen. He played for one of the US Developmental Academy programs in Missouri, while having trials at Sporting Kansas City, PSV Eindhoven, and Schalke 04. He has only played for their youth academy so far, but has played in the most recent International Friendlies for the United States, scoring in the game against Bolivia in May.

Sargent is primed to be a breakout star in the Bundesliga this season, and at only 18, has incredible potential. He is quick, with the ability to put the ball in the back of the net of a consistent basis. Fulham have a great history with forwards from the United States, and Sargent has the potential to raise his game to a level on par with the likes of McBride and Dempsey. With the right coach and investment, he would be a great one for the future at Craven Cottage.

Zack Steffen, 23, Columbus Crew, Goalkeeper
Plain and simple, this guy is an absolute stalwart in net. He stands out even more so in a league where defense is almost non-existent. Another player who has started to gain time at the International level, Steffen has been touted as the next US keeper to find his way into European soccer. With the likes of Kasey Keller spending time at Fulham, it is not out of the realm of possibility to imagine Steffen in between the posts at Craven Cottage in the future. He is primed for a move away from the MLS, especially if he wants to continue his development as a player.

Steffen's quick reactions and reading of the game make him a quality shot stopper in net. He also is highly capable when it comes to distribution, and would do well to have another American in-front of him in the guise of Tim Ream. Now that Fabri has been brought in, it is highly unlikely he would be considered for the next few years, and may be one we would never see join Fulham, but be on the lookout for Steffen nonetheless.

There is one more player who I wish Fulham would have held onto, Emerson Hyndman. I hold out hope that he will find his way back to Craven Cottage in the near future, but he looks to finally be a part of Bournemouth's plans this season. He was a solid midfielder, with great ability on the ball and vision to pick a pass anywhere on the field. His goal in stoppage time against Cardiff during the 2016 season is still one of my favorites from Fulham's time in the Championship. Having played under Slavisa in the past, maybe he will find his way back in the future, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

With the American ownership firmly backing Fulham as we return to the Premier League for the 2018-2019 season, it wouldn't surprise anyone that some more United States born players will find their way to Craven Cottage in the coming years. These are just a few of the young talent that is coming through the ranks, with many more to be coming in the next five to ten years, now that the Development Academies have had positive changes. Be on the lookout for the next group to be a part of Fulhamerica!

https://fulhamish.co.uk/post/2018-08-07-fulhamerica-whos-the-next/

WhiteJC

Premier League revival act to be season's surprise package? – Fulham 2018/19 Opposition Preview

Newly promoted sides in recent years have largely aimed to survive in the Premier League, but Fulham certainly have loftier ambitions in 2018/19.

When we play them: November 10 (home); March 16 (away)

After four seasons away from the top flight, the west Londoners made it back to the promised land via the nerve-wracking Championship playoffs.

It was a just reward for some superb football played and an unstoppable run of form that saw Slavisa Jokanovic's side lose just twice from mid-December onwards.

The Cottagers are going to earn new admirers this season, particularly with Jokanovic's attractive brand of football.

In Ryan Sessegnon they possess one of English football's brightest teenage talents—someone Liverpool have scouted in the past—and he has the ability to take the Premier League by storm.

Add to that the creative class of Tom Cairney, the goals of Alexsandar Mitrovic and the all-round quality of statement-making new signing Jean Michael Seri and it's easy to see why many feel they will beat the drop with ease.

The step up to the Premier League is still enormous, of course, so Fulham will have their work cut out when the matches come thick and fast and legs begin to tire.

They look well-equipped to finish somewhere near mid-table and impress those who are new to watching them regularly, though.

Fulham

Players in: Jean Michael Seri, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Alfie Mawson, Fabri, Maxime Le Marchand, Andre Schurrle

Players out: David Button, Ryan Fredericks, George Williams

Best XI: Bettinelli; Christie, Mawson, Ream, Le Marchand; McDonald, Seri, Schurrle, Cairney, Sessegnon; Mitrovic

We spoke to Fulham supporter Kyle Bonn (@the_bonnfire) to discuss how his side will do on their return to the Premier League, as well as dissecting Liverpool's title chances.

How optimistic or pessimistic are you for the new season, and why?

Fulham fans are incredibly optimistic heading into this season.

This comes from a combination of how the team finished last year—the 23-game unbeaten streak was up there with the 2009/10 Europa League run for this fanbase—and how the club has done in the transfer window this summer.

The money this summer has been spent in an incredibly smart way, and the team is vastly improved thanks to the incoming transfers.

Even if we have a slow start to the season, which Jokanovic has been known to do with new players still learning his system, most fans believe this should be a successful season that ensures Premier League safety for another year.

We could maybe even see a top-10 finish with some luck.

What are your aims for the season?

The goal for this season are simple: stay up.

It's a nice change from the Championship where the club had high expectations to perform week in, week out.

The competition is much tougher in the Premier League obviously, but the expectations will be lower, and thus the weekly pressure is somewhat lifted.

The team just needs to avoid relegation in order to start building towards becoming a top-10 club.

Who's your man to watch?

This depends on personal preference; are you attracted to goals and flair, or the behind-the-scenes dirty work?

If you prefer the former, Mitrovic is your guy. The Serbian endeared himself to Fulham fans during his loan spell last season not only for his goalscoring prowess but more importantly his passion.

Mitrovic made it clear he loved playing at Fulham, and the fans reacted accordingly. Securing him permanently was a must for the club.

He's not a world-beater by any stretch, and he probably won't repeat his performance from last year, but fitting this Jokanovic system goes a long way.

If you prefer a more technical player who probably won't get the credit he deserves due to the position he plays, new man Seri is the one to keep an eye on.

The club's record transfer, Seri is a true central midfield wizard. His distribution is spectacular, and he is a through-ball specialist.

He will pop off the page a few times this year for sure, but he will also put in some shifts that go largely unnoticed.

Do yourself a favour and keep an eye on the Frenchman.

Craven Cottage

Capacity: 25,700

Away fans' pubs: It's a friendly part of the world—go wherever you fancy.

One piece of advice for visiting fan: Make a day/weekend of it, especially if you're visiting when the weather's nice.

The ground is right on the River Thames—arguably the most picturesque stadium in the country—and you will never be short of pubs and bars to visit.

Liverpool

How do you rate Liverpool's chances heading into the season?

I'm a huge fan of the business Liverpool have done over the last two seasons.

They have one of the most complete teams in the Premier League, and their weakness—central defence—has been improved as well.

In my opinion, they have to be considered a favorite for a top-four spot and will challenge for the title, although if Man City have the kind of season they did last campaign it will be difficult for anyone to catch them.

Who's going to be the Reds' Player of the Year, and why?

It has to be Mohamed Salah, right? It is hard to pick someone other than the Egyptian, not only given his eye for goal but for his flair in doing so.

Once Naby Keita settles in he could have a shot, too. He's a fantastic signing and someone who should fit the style of the Premier League well.

He should be a fabulous all-round midfielder for the Reds—a strong presence in the middle of the park they have been missing, with Jordan Henderson not exactly the biggest bully on the field.

I also have to give Roberto Firmino a shout here, as the Brazilian should have been starting for his country in the World Cup and is a huge asset to the team.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/08/premier-league-revival-act-to-be-seasons-surprise-package-fulham-2018-19-opposition-preview/

WhiteJC

Celtic reject Fulham's bid for Boyata

Celtic have rejected Fulham's £9m offer for centre back Deydrick Boyata, according to reports this afternoon.

The Scottish giants are determined to hold onto the Belgian international, who starred during the early stages of this summer's World Cup, and remain hopeful that the former Manchester City defender may yet extend his contract at Celtic Park. Boyata, who has won three successive titles since moving north of the border from Manchester City, has less than a year to go on his current deal – and Fulham's scouts watched him extensively in Russia, where he deputised for Vincent Kompany at the heart of the Belgian defence.

Fulham are intent on bringing in additional cover at centre back, given the impending suspension of Denis Odoi and the fact that new signing Alife Mawson is likely to miss the first month of the new season. The Whites are eyeing up another move for Boyata as well as closing in on the loan capture of Arsenal centre back Calum Chambers. The Daily Mail suggests that Fulham are willing to increase their bid for Boyata to around £12m. Whether that offer will be enough to secure the second chance in the Premier League that the imposing defender apparently craves, remains to be seen. A move may be dependent on Celtic securing additional defensive resources themselves, given that Brendan Rodgers currently only has two fit centre halves at his disposal.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/celtic-reject-fulhams-bid-for-boyata/

WhiteJC

Live Television Coverage

Three Fulham matches have been moved for live television coverage.

Our London derby against Arsenal and our trip to Anfield to face Liverpool will now each take place a day later and will be broadcast live on BT Sport.

Additionally, Huddersfield Town away will also be shown live as part of Sky Sports' Monday Night Football.

New fixture dates:

Fulham v Arsenal, Craven Cottage – Sunday 7th October (12pm)

Huddersfield Town v Fulham, John Smith's Stadium – Monday 5th November (8pm)

Liverpool v Fulham, Anfield – Sunday 11th November (12pm)

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/07/live-television-coverage

WhiteJC

Wigley: Always Competitive

Head of Academy Coaching Steve Wigley spoke to fulhamfc.com about the Academy's pre-season, and the fast approaching new campaign.

"I'm pleased its over," he commented on the last month. "I'm not a lover of pre-season if I'm honest. It went pretty well really, we had a group of the senior boys from the Under-23s training with the First Team, so they've gained some experience and played in some games.

"That means some of the younger boys from the Under-18s have moved up and played in Under-23s games. I think it's probably just this last week where it has settled down and everybody will probably start the season where they should be and where they are merited.

"We've picked up a couple of injuries up but they are re-occurring things from last year. Other than that I'm pretty pleased to be honest, we've had a couple of good trips and now its time for a proper routine.

"Some of the first year scholars have hit the ground running, they've played U23s as well because they have performed.

"We will always have a system here where age is no bearing. Whoever is playing best gets promoted, our best example of that is Ryan Sessegnon having played in the First Team at 16 years of age, that will continue.

"I don't think we have ever had a more punishing summer if I'm honest for the scholars. I have to compliment the groundsmen on keeping the pitches in the condition as playable as they have, because we've been to other grounds this year where the pitches have really suffered from a lack of water," he said.

Fulham's Under-23s kick off their season on Friday evening against recently relegated Manchester United and the Under-18s on Saturday morning at Motspur Park.

"Both games will be tough. Start of the season you don't get a bigger game for the U23s than Man United. The fact that they found themselves relegated last year, it was a strange season because their U18s won the league. That tells you that they have good young players coming through and that is a game to excite anybody anytime you play the big clubs.

"Swansea we saw a lot of last year. We played them twice in the league, we played them in the FA Youth Cup, the games are always pretty close.

"The 18s fielded their strongest team on Saturday that they have been able to and were comfortable winners against Nottingham Forest so they are in a good place mentally and physically.

"It would be nice if the First Team can get off to a winning start, which is the priority. Friday and Saturday all three Club teams play at home."

Asked if developing players was the only priority, he replied: "We want to win games of football as well. Over the years, the more games of football we've won, the better players we have developed.

"We will always be on the young side of whatever we do because that's what we have decided. I'm a great believer that you can't always win, but you can always be competitive. We play to win, I don't deny that and I wouldn't be doing my job otherwise.

"I've always said, the main thing I look for is I always want to have the best two players on the pitch, and if I've got that then it does make me happy."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/07/wigley-always-competitive

WhiteJC

Dedryck Boyata: Celtic reject Fulham bid for Belgium defender

Dedryck Boyata training with Celtic on Tuesday morning

Celtic have rejected a bid from Fulham for defender Dedryck Boyata, manager Brendan Rodgers has confirmed.

The Belgium international, 27, will not feature in Wednesday's Champions League third qualifying round first leg against AEK Athens.

Boyata, who is in the final year of his contract, has not played for Celtic since returning from the World Cup and is not ready for a first-team return.

"He is a player that we don't want to lose," said Rodgers.

"Yes, we have had a few enquiries and there was a confirmed bid by Fulham for him. We know he is in the last year of his deal.

"He has been a fantastic player for me in my time here, he had an excellent World Cup when he played.

"He is clearly a player of value and, at this point in time for us, he is very important and the club rejected that.

"At this stage it would be pretty difficult for us to sell him because there is not a replacement there."

Former Manchester City, Bolton and Twente player Boyata was signed by Rodgers' predecessor Ronny Deila in 2015 and the Belgian has made more than a century of appearances for the Scottish side and won 10 senior international caps.

He could be back in Rodgers' team after the weekend Premiership trip to face Hearts, by which time promoted Fulham will have started their Premier League campaign at home to Crystal Palace.

Meanwhile, Rodgers says his interest in Hibernian midfielder John McGinn is not over but admits things could be taken out of Celtic's hands, with Aston Villa keen to sign the Scotland international.

"He is a player that we clearly wanted to bring here," said Rodgers. "I was really interested in bringing him in from a few months back.

"We haven't been able to complete a deal and of course when you don't complete a deal on a player it always opens the door for other teams - a club like Aston Villa, who have clearly interest in him, who have a big history of their own, a great club with excellent facilities and now financial backing.

"So we have to wait and see on that one."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45101242

WhiteJC

PREMIER LEAGUE 2018-19: Cardiff, Fulham, Wolves make return

One is a London club run by an American with ambitions of buying the storied home of English soccer. Another is a virtual Portuguese enclave funded in China. The third is a Welsh club owned by a publicity-hunting Malaysian and coached by one of the most charismatic managers around.

Fulham, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Cardiff are back in the Premier League and all come with fascinating back stories that add yet more layers of intrigue to the wealthiest and most-watched division in world soccer.

They'll be seeking to emulate the achievement of last season's three promoted teams - Huddersfield, Brighton and Newcastle - who all managed to preserve their status.

FULHAM

With its pretty and intimate stadium located on the banks of the River Thames in an affluent area of west London, Fulham has a quintessentially English feel to it.

It doesn't tell the full story, though.

Fulham's owner since 2013 is Shahid Khan, a larger-than-life American who recently placed an offer to buy Wembley Stadium for about 600 million pounds ($840 million). Khan, who is worth $7.2 billion according to Forbes, also owns Jacksonville Jaguars and wants an NFL presence in London.

Having an established Premier League team isn't bad for his PR, either, and that is the challenge for manager Slavisa Jokanovic and his group of stylish players.

It was a widely held belief that Fulham played the best soccer in last season's League Championship, which the team only escaped via the playoffs after finishing in third place in the regular season.

In 18-year-old winger Ryan Sessegnon, they have arguably the most talented young player in the country. He will now be able to test himself on the country's highest stage and potentially provide an answer to those who felt he could have been a pick for England's World Cup squad in Russia.

Fulham has improved its squad with the signings of English center back Alfie Mawson from Swansea, Ivory Coast midfielder Jean-Michel Seri from Nice, Germany winger Andre Schurrle on loan from Borussia Dortmund, and Serbia striker Aleksandar Mitrovic from Newcastle. Mitrovic spent the second half of last season on loan at Fulham and was a key factor in its push for promotion.

Fulham is playing in the Premier League for the first time since relegation in 2014 ended 13 straight seasons in the top division.

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS

Wolves, a team from an industrial city in central England, have taken a very global route back to the Premier League after a six-year absence.

The club was taken over in July 2016 by Chinese conglomerate Fosun International, which has established links with co-called "super-agent" Jorge Mendes. In charge of a stable of soccer clients headlined by Cristiano Ronaldo and Jose Mourinho, the Portuguese businessman has a huge influence on the sport in general and Wolves are benefiting.

A growing number of Mendes clients are at Wolves, including manager Nuno Espirito Santo (the former coach of Porto), midfielder Ruben Neves and the two big offseason signings - Portugal goalkeeper Rui Patricio and international teammate Joao Moutinho.

With Fosun's spending power and Mendes' influence, Wolves were at a level above any other team in the second tier last season - much to the chagrin of their rivals, some of whom officially complained to English soccer authorities.

It will be a different story in the Premier League and the priority for Wolves simply will be staying up.

"We want to position ourselves in the very elite of English football," Wolves managing director Laurie Dalrymple said at the end of last season. "There shouldn't be any limits to our goals here."

Wolves won three top-flight titles in the 1950s and the last of its four FA Cups in 1960. Full houses of 30,000 fans at Molineux last season show that the fans believe something special is happening.

CARDIFF

They are back in blue. The spending has been reined in. The coach has vast experience of English soccer.

Things have changed at Cardiff since 2014, when it was last in the Premier League.

Playing and battling in the image of chirpy and charismatic manager Neil Warnock, the Welsh team secured one of the two automatic promotion places against the odds last season with a mostly unheralded group of players.

Warnock, who will turn 70 in December, is in charge of the 15th club of his 38-year managerial career and will coach in the Premier League for the fourth time after stints with Sheffield United, Queens Park Rangers and Crystal Palace.

Loud and opinionated, he'll add some color to the league - much like Cardiff's Malaysian owner, Vincent Tan, tried to do four years ago in changing the team's colors from blue to red in a contentious rebrand that infuriated many fans.

Back then, Tan was spending lavishly, too, buying players and also hiring Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as manager, despite the Champions League-winning former Manchester United striker's lack of experience in coaching.

Cardiff and Tan appear to have learned their lessons and they are once against spending within their means. It will mean they start among the favorites to go back down to the League Championship.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-6035495/PREMIER-LEAGUE-2018-19-Cardiff-Fulham-Wolves-make-return.html

WhiteJC

Fulham Season Preview: trust in Slav

With the 2018-19 Premier League season coming up, The Football Lab spoke to Fulham fan Michael Gregg (@1966MJG).

You won the Championship Play-Off Final last season, but the surge to promotion hadn't looked likely when you were 17th in November. Were the club and Slavisa Jokanovic rewarded for staying true to their principles?

Absolutely. There was a small minority of fans who wanted a change in October/November time due to the results, but if you dug a little deeper and looked at how close the league was, then the board were right not to make a rash change because we were behind the targets set. Fair play to Jovanovic for sticking to the passing style and not reverting to a more direct style which many wanted.

The main talking point from last season was the wonderful rise of Ryan Sessegnon. He seems to come alive in the box – but is there another level for him to go up in terms of his all-round game?

He only turned 18 in May and still has a lot to learn. He's an intelligent player able to find space and his anticipation of where a ball (Or a man) will be is the best I've ever seen. He needs to learn how to take a player on, even though he has been playing as a wide forward he lacks the trickery to beat a man with the ball. If he can add that and also improve his defensive awareness when playing left back (If he ever goes back to that position) he will be a major star.

A big blow this summer is the loss of right-back Ryan Fredericks, who has left for West Ham on a free. Do you think Cyrus Christie will provide as much pace and drive?

Christie was clearly bought to replace Fredericks when it was clear he was going to leave, and he has some big boots to fill. Fredericks played out of his skin for last 6 months and Christie now has the harder job of providing all that Fredericks offered, but in the Premier League. From what I have seen his crossing is better, the real question is does he have the ability to bomb down the wing directly like Ryan did.

Marcus Bettinelli took the goalkeeping jersey off David Button last season. Do you think he can step up to the Premier League?

Its going to hard now for Betts given we have spent over £5M on Fabri from Beşiktaş. He's still young and you never really know how the season will pan out, but I sense its going to be a frustrating one for him. He has the ability for sure, needs to improve his command of the area and distribution to be a real top keeper.

Tim Ream and Denis Odoi aren't your classic centre-backs; they look more impressive with the ball than without it. Are you concerned by their lack of aerial prowess, or excited by their intelligence?

Odoi for me was always a makeshift centre back. He did much better than I expected to keep Kalas out of the team but as he showed a couple of times last season he can be a bit rash. Ream was my Player of the Season and I was so happy for him after a rough time when he first joined us a few years ago. Calm on the ball, he improved his heading and turned into a real leader at the back.

At the time of writing it looks like we will be signing Alfie Mawson from Swansea which will mean Odoi will revert back to his defensive utility role within the squad.

Matt Targett looks like an excellent crosser of a ball from deep. Given the balance he gave your side after joining on loan from Southampton last season, you must be keen for him to return?

Class player, I would love us to sign him. Still young and can only improve as well. Looks like we will have to pay over the odds but worth it to team him up again on the left with Ryan Sessegnon. I think Southampton will crack and we will get him back.

Kevin McDonald certainly uses the ball well, but he does look prone to the occasional slip when put under pressure. Could that be problematic against potentially more aggressive sides?

Not really, it's the way we play, on the edge. He will have the biggest challenge in the step up to the PL. He sometimes becomes the third centre back and last man. Will he be found out at this level? He made us tick last year, ball retention and kept it moving through him. Cairney and others got the glory, but he was the engine.

Your main signings so far are Maxime Le Marchand and Jean Michael Seri – both from Nice. Do you hope that, without disrupting what you've been good at, they'll add some power to the spine?

Seri comes with a great reputation and I know many in football have been surprised we got him. As long as the new players buy into the philosophy of the team and take to the passing style I don't see anyone disrupting things. If they do then they don't last long under Jokanovic.

Tom Cairney appeared to undertake a deeper role than the one we saw in 2016-17 with Stefan Johansen pushing on. Are you excited to see the impact they can have in the Premier League?

With the signing we have made its going to be a real battle to win a starting place in the Fulham midfield. One thing you see from Fulham is they are always interchanging positions and I'm confident they can all do well in whatever position they start or even change to in a game. Johansen can do the ugly things in a game, take a booking when needed for example. He works hard and against the better teams who will have the ball more he will work his socks off. With Cairney its his chance to show what he can offer at the top level. If you were being over critical he's a bit too one footed so needs to gamble with his weaker foot a bit more.

Aboubakar Kamara always seems to give you that bit more power and drive when he starts over Lucas Piazon and Floyd Ayite. Could Kamara become a regular in the Premier League?

Super-sub is what I'm looking for from AK. I want him coming on with 20 minutes to go to scare the life out of tiring defenders. As long as he stays true to his skill set of being direct and pacy he will be a real handful.

Aleksandar Mitrovic seemed to give you a focal point last season which you didn't quite have with Rui Fonte up until Christmas. You must be delighted the Serb has signed permanently?

It's great news he's now re-joined us and is the cog that the two wider players and attacking midfielders work off. He's a bull of a player and only 23 as well.

Whites aside, what are your thoughts ahead of the Premier League season as a whole? Any thoughts on your competitors?

One thing is noticeable from 4 seasons away from the PL and that's I haven't really followed it. I'm learning the names of players and remembering how hard it is. Also, how expensive players are as well. It truly is a different level.

I do think the PL is 6 teams at the top and 14 others all trying not to get relegated first and also can they make 7th. That's who we are competing against.

Where will you finish?

The signings look good, but its very difficult to say how we will do.
If I was to put money on it, I'd say 13th. The main thing in the first season is to stay up, because that's when it really starts to pay dividends.

The Football Lab's Verdict

Fulham have sufficient belief in their possession principles to offer a breath of fresh air to the Premier League; midfield controller Tom Cairney deserves his shot at this level. The signings of Fabri, Alfie Mawson and Jean Michael Seri plus Aleksandar Mitrovic after a loan spell, ensures the Cottagers have muscle in their spine. With 2014 World Cup winning forward Andre Schurrle joining on loan, a top half finish is well within their reach. 10th

http://www.thefootballab.co.uk/2018/fulham-season-preview-trust-in-slav/

WhiteJC

Swansea City boss comments on Jordan Ayew's absence amid interest from Crystal Palace and Fulham

Forward has been heavily linked with a move away this summer, with Palace and Fulham interested

Crystal Palace and Fulham transfer target Jordan Ayew is not part of Swansea City boss Graham Potter's plans at present.

That's according to Potter himself, who says Ayew is not part of what the Swans are trying to do by his own actions, having not trained with the club this week.

The Swansea forward's future remains uncertain with just over 48 hours left in the summer transfer window, having been linked with a move away from south Wales, amid interest from both Palace and Fulham, who face each other at Craven Cottage in the season opener on Saturday.

And Potter's latest comments about Ayew suggest that his future could still lie elsewhere, with two days left before the transfer deadline.

"There's no further news on Jordan - he's just not been here," Potter told BBC Sport Wales.

"That tells you that he's not part of what we're trying to do, by his own actions.

Jordan Ayew in action for Swansea City last season. (Photo by Jan Kruger/Getty Images)

"It's whether we can get a good enough deal for the club. Otherwise, that's going to be an interesting time for him."

Ayew joined Swansea in 2017 from Aston Villa and was the Swans' top scorer last season with 11 goals as the south Wales club were relegated from the Premier League.

He was not involved in the matchday squad on Saturday for Swansea's opening day win at Sheffield United though, and having not trained since, his future is still up in the air.

But as yet, no club has made a bid that matches the Swans' valuation of the player.

https://www.football.london/crystal-palace-fc/transfer-news/swansea-boss-jordan-ayew-absence-15001105

WhiteJC

'Seri an absolute steal' for Fulham, says Meulensteen

The Dutch tactician has praised the quality of the Cote d'Ivoire international and he's delighted with his acquisition by the Craven Cottage outfit

Former Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen has lauded the Cottagers for signing Jean Michael Seri, calling it an 'absolute steal.'

They Craven Cottage outfit beat off competitions from a number of top European clubs to secure the signature of the midfielder in July, although they had to cough out a club record €30 million.

Last season, the 27-year-old made 31 league appearances for French Ligue 1 side Nice scoring twice amid numerous dazzling displays.

Meulensteen, impressed with the quality of the former Pacos de Ferreira player, has compared him with former AC Milan midfielder and Cameroon coach Clarence Seedorf.

"I tell you what, Jean-Michael Seri ... an absolute steal, in my opinion," Meulensteen told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"He is a top six, if not a top three player. He reminds me of Clarence Seedorf – he's got that guile and moves the ball – and Fulham's got him. Fantastic."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/seri-an-absolute-steal-for-fulham-says-meulensteen/1dkjywqh8phti167wvl9uwbhlc

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace striker Christian Benteke relishing 'big game' against Fulham in season opener

Palace striker looks ahead to opening day fixture with the newly-promoted Cottagers

The new Premier League season begins on Saturday - and Crystal Palace striker Christian Benteke cannot wait.

The Eagles will kick off the new campaign with a London derby against newly-promoted Fulham at Craven Cottage, with both teams looking to get off to a winning start.

And Benteke, who netted for Palace in their final pre-season friendly against Toulouse on Saturday, says he is raring to go for the new campaign.

"I know how big pre-season is, and especially for myself, because I want to be injury free this season," he told Palace TV.

"I got myself mentally and physically ready, and I think we are ready now."

But the Belgian international doesn't expect anything but a tough game against the Cottagers, who have made several good signings this summer as they prepare for life back in the Premier League after a four-year absence.

"It's going to be a big game, for both teams," said Benteke.

"I think they will look to show their fans that they are back, and they will look to win this game.

"But we will also look to win this game, so it should be a good game."

https://www.football.london/crystal-palace-fc/fixtures-results/palace-striker-big-game-fulham-14999727