more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (08/08/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 08, 2018, 07:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Extra: Interview with Robert Warlow From Football.London
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This episode is an interview with Robert Warlow, who is a Crystal Palace writer for Football.London. During the intervew, he shared his view on Roy Hodgson, the summer for Crystal Palace, the key players in this match-up against Fulham, and much more. We ended the interview with his prediction for the match.

to listen to the podcast follow the link...
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cottagetalk/2018/08/07/cottage-talk-extra-interview-with-robert-warlow-from-footballlondon

WhiteJC

Why Fulham would be wise to make a move for this £4.5m Senegalese defender

Why Fulham would be wise to make a move for Kara Mbodji

According to a report by The Sun, Fulham are set to submit a bid of £4.5million in an effort to sign Anderlecht defender Kara Mbodji.

The Senegal international, who won the Belgian top-flight with Anderlecht in 2017, missed the World Cup due to a knee injury. The Sun report further states that Mbodji is no longer needed by his current team.

Last season, he made 20 appearances in all competitions, including 5 in the Champions League. However, manager Hein Vanhaezebrouck wants to improve his squad and is prepared to let the centre-back go (h/t The Sun).

Mbodji is a powerful, commanding and aggressive defender with plenty of European experience. He can also play as a defensive midfielder and a right-back.

Mbodji started his career with Diambars FC, where he went on to play 43 matches and score 4 goals between 2008 and 2010. His strong performances led to a transfer in Europe, more specifically to Norway, where he signed for Tromso. He spent 3 years there, taking part in 84 games and netting 9 goals in the process.

Since the winter of 2013, Mbodji has been playing in Belgium, first with Genk, and then with Anderlecht. He won the Cup with Genk in 2013, as well as the title and Super Cup with Anderlecht in 2017.

As far as his international career is concerned, he has won 41 caps for Senegal, scoring 4 goals.

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has already signed Maxime Le Marchand and Alfie Mawson this summer, with the duo joining Tim Ream as centre-backs for the Cottagers. It's obvious that the Londoners need another defender, and signing Mbodji seems like a decent option.

After all, he has plenty of experience, is relatively fit and has won numerous trophies. The Senegalese has also played Champions League football and could be a useful addition as Fulham must aim to survive in the Premier League next season.

The Sun goes on to claim that French and Turkish clubs are also chasing the former Genk ace, who is set to leave Anderlecht before the transfer window slams shut.

With that in mind, Fulham would be wise to make a move for him. The strong and powerful defender could strengthen the Cottagers' defence and become a key player for them, especially if he manages to regain his form.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/08/07/why-fulham-would-be-wise-to-make-a-move-for-this-4-5m-senegalese-defender/

WhiteJC

Calum Chambers joins Fulham on loan

Calum Chambers has joined Premier League newcomers Fulham on a season-long loan.

The 23-year-old signed a new contract with us last month, having made 82 appearances since joining us from Southampton in summer 2014.

He enjoyed a season-long loan at Middlesbrough in 2016/17, making 24 Premier League appearances. He is an England international with three caps.

Unai Emery said: "Calum is a talented defender who has a bright future. We all believe this loan at Fulham will be an important part of his development and wish him a successful season."

The loan is subject to the completion of regulatory processes.

Copyright 2018 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/calum-chambers-joins-fulham-loan

WhiteJC

The Club is delighted to announce the arrival of centre-back Calum Chambers from Arsenal on a season-long loan deal.

The versatile 23-year-old can be also be deployed at right-back, while he has been known to operate as a defensive midfielder on occasion, too.

Born in Petersfield in Hampshire, Chambers came through the impressive Southampton academy, making his first team debut as a 17-year-old in 2012 in a 4-1 win over Stevenage in the League Cup.

His league debut came almost a year later when he played right-back in a 1-0 win over West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns.

The 2013/14 season saw Chambers make a total of 24 appearances for the club – 22 of which were in the Premier League – which earned him a summer move to the Emirates.

Chambers joined Arsenal in July 2014 and made an instant impact, winning the FA Community Shield 3-0 against Manchester City, playing the full 90 minutes at centre-back.

The following weekend Chambers made his first appearance for the Gunners in the Premier League, playing the entirety of a 2-1 home win over Crystal Palace, again being deployed at the heart of the defence.

He was nominated for the 2014 Golden Boy award alongside Luke Shaw, John Stones and eventual winner Raheem Sterling. The accolade is given by sports journalists to a young footballer playing in Europe who has been the most impressive during a calendar year.

The defender scored his first senior goal in November 2014 in a 3-0 win over Burnley, and Chambers also registered an assist in that game as his cross was turned in by Alexis Sanchez.

Despite not being part of the matchday squad, he was also an FA Cup winner with Arsenal in 2015 having played in four of the previous rounds.

As well as winning the Community Shield, the FA Cup, making his Champions League debut and helping Arsenal reach third in the league, Chambers also won his first England cap that season

He made his Three Lions debut in September 2014, coming on as a replacement for John Stones at right-back in England's 1-0 win over Norway in an international friendly played at Wembley, and to date he has played three times for his country.

Chambers scored for Arsenal against Liverpool at the start of the 2016/17 season before being loaned to Middlesbrough for the remainder of the season, making 26 appearances and scoring once, in an impressive 2-2 draw with Manchester City.

He returned to Arsenal for the 2017/18 season and signed a new long-term contract with the Gunners this summer, having made a total of 83 appearances for the North London side.

In addition to senior international recognition, Chambers also won numerous caps for the youth teams up to Under-21 level, where he formed a strong central defensive partnership with Alfie Mawson at the 2017 European Championship where England reached the Semi-Finals.

After joining the Whites, Chambers told fulhamfc.com: "I'm really excited. I watched a lot of Fulham last season, I really like the way they play football, there's a good manager, it's a great club, so I'm really excited for the season ahead.

"Everyone can see that Fulham's a club that likes to play football, play football from the back, through the lines. That's the style of football I like as well, so I think it fits me and suits the way I play." 

Tony Khan added: "I'm very pleased to announce that Calum Chambers has joined Fulham Football Club on loan.

"Calum is a versatile defender with Premier League experience, and the combination of his strong data profile and the positive reports from our scouting department confirm that he's a tremendous talent.

"We fully expect Calum to contribute and are very happy to welcome him to our squad. Come on Fulham!"

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/07/calum-chambers-joins-on-loan

WhiteJC

Chambers joins Fulham on loan

Fulham have confirmed the signing of England international defender Calum Chambers from Arsenal on a season-long loan this evening.

The 23 year-old was one of the newly-promoted club's first targets but they couldn't meet Arsenal's £23m valuation to secure a permanent deal. The former Southampton centre back joins on loan instead, just a few weeks after signing a new four-year contract with the Gunners, and media reports suggest that he has been promised regular first-team football at Craven Cottage.

Slavisa Jokanovic was keen to draft in extra defensive reinforcements given that new signing Alfie Mawson is likely to miss the first month of the new season after undergoing knee surgery earlier this summer. The Whites will also be without the suspended Denis Odoi for the first two games of the season, so it is entirely possible that Chambers will make his Fulham debut against Crystal Palace on Saturday afternoon.

The versatile defender, who can also play at right back or in midfield, came through Southampton's academy and made his professional debut for the Saints at the age of 17. His mature displays in the 2013/2014 season, which included 22 Premier League appearances, earned him a big-money to Arsenal, where he has played 83 games and won the FA Cup in 2015.

Chambers told Fulham's official website this evening:

I'm really excited. I watched a lot of Fulham last season, I really like the way they play football, there's a good manager, it's a great club, so I'm really excited for the season ahead. Everyone can see that Fulham's a club that likes to play football, play football from the back, through the lines. That's the style of football I like as well, so I think it fits me and suits the way I play.

Fulham's head of football of operations, Tony Khan, said:

I'm very pleased to announce that Calum Chambers has joined Fulham Football Club on loan. Calum is a versatile defender with Premier League experience, and the combination of his strong data profile and the positive reports from our scouting department confirm that he's a tremendous talent. We fully expect Calum to contribute and are very happy to welcome him to our squad.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/chambers-joins-fulham-on-loan/

WhiteJC

'Excited' Chambers completes Fulham loan move

Fulham have completed the signing of Arsenal defender Calum Chambers on a season-long loan.

West London Sport revealed Fulham's initial interest in the 23-year-old and he remained a top target for the Whites.

He agreed a four-year contract with Arsenal last month but is not in their short-term plans and newly promoted Fulham can offer a greater chance of playing regular first-team football in the top flight.

"I watched a lot of Fulham last season," Chambers told Fulham's website. "I really like the way they play football, there's a good manager, it's a great club, so I'm really excited for the season ahead.

"Everyone can see that Fulham's a club that likes to play football, play football from the back, through the lines. That's the style of football I like as well, so I think it fits me and suits the way I play."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-updated-chambers-excited-by-fulham-style-after-joining-from-arsenal

WhiteJC

Calum Chambers joins Fulham on season-long loan deal from Arsenal

The 23-year-old right-back will play for the Cottagers in 2018-19 following their promotion to the Premier League

Arsenal defender Calum Chambers has joined Fulham on a season-long loan deal.

The 23-year-old right-back will play for the Cottagers in 2018-19 following their promotion to the Premier League.

It marks Chambers' second loan spell away from the Emirates since joining the Gunners from Southampton in 2014.

He has made 83 appearances in all competitions for Arsenal and played 26 times for Middlesbrough in 2016-17.

Chambers also has three senior England caps to his name as well as 22 appearances for the Under-21s.

On joining Fulham, he said: "I'm really excited. I watched a lot of Fulham last season, I really like the way they play football, there's a good manager, it's a great club, so I'm really excited for the season ahead.

"Everyone can see that Fulham's a club that likes to play football, play football from the back, through the lines.

"That's the style of football I like as well, so I think it fits me and suits the way I play."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/calum-chambers-joins-fulham-season-13046884

WhiteJC

Chambers moves to Fulham on loan

Arsenal defender goes to Craven Cottage for the 2018/19 season

Fulham have announced the signing of Calum Chambers on loan from Arsenal.

The 23-year-old defender moves across London to Fulham for the entire 2018/19 season.

Chambers, who can play in central defence or at right-back, made 12 Premier League appearances last season for Arsenal.

The campaign before that was spent on loan at Middlesbrough, where he featured 24 times in the competition, scoring once.

He is Slavisa Jovanovic's seventh summer signing.

"I watched a lot of Fulham last season, I really like the way they play football, there's a good manager, it's a great club, so I'm really excited for the season ahead," Chambers told the club's official website.

Fulham start the new campaign on Saturday at home to Crystal Palace.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/798487

WhiteJC

Fulham 'felt right,' says Chambers

Calum Chambers says that he was 'really excited' when he learned that Fulham wanted to sign him earlier in the summer and that a move to the Cottagers 'just felt right'.

Speaking to FulhamFCTV after completing his season-long loan move from Arsenal, the centre back revealed that he had been an avid watcher of the Whites' promotion campaign last season and that the style of football Slavisa Jokanovic has implemented at Craven Cottage will suit his game.

I'm really excited. I watched a lot of Fulham play last season. I really liked the way they played football, there's a good manager, it's a great club and I'm really excited for the season ahead. Everyone can see that Fulham's a club that likes to play football – play football from the back, through the lines, that's the style of football I like to play as well so I think it fits me and suits the way I play. I like to think of myself as a centre back who's good on the ball.

The England international also revealed that he knew Marcus Bettinelli and Alfie Mawson from England under-21 duty in the past and has quickly been made to feel welcome at the club's Motspur Park training ground.

It's always helpful to have some familiar faces around when you come in. To come in and have a catch up with them was nice. I know a few of the boys here. I've met all of the boys now and it seems like a really good group. When I heard Fulham were interested in me, I was really happy and I wanted to come. The style of play and everything, it felt right.

Chambers admits he has ambitions to add to his three senior international caps, but his primary focus is getting his loan spell off to a good start.

For me, first off I want to do well for Fulham. I want to come here, I want to show everyone what I can do and, obviously, a long-term goal would be get back in the England squad as well. But my first aim is to come to Fulham and do well for the team and give everything I can.

The 23 year-old, who is Fulham's third defensive signing of a busy summer transfer window, believes that the club's new-found strength in depth is important as they look to manage the step up to the top flight.

Competition for places is huge. It keeps everyone on their toes and makes everyone perform at their best ability. Players coming in is going to make everyone push themselves to be the best they can be. I've played quite a few games now and I want to come here and show the experience I've gained in the past. I just want to help the team and do the best I can.

Chambers isn't taking any for granted and knows Fulham will be in for a tough test as they open their campaign against Crystal Palace on Saturday, with the Eagles managed by former Fulham boss Roy Hodgson.

It won't be an easy game. First game of the season – anything can happen, but we've got to be assured in the way we want to play, see what happens and give everything we can. If you've got to be patient, we'll move the ball, wait for your opportunities and when those opportunities come, you've got to take them. The Premier League's not an easy league so every game's tough, but I'm really excited for it.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/fulham-felt-right-says-chambers/

WhiteJC

Calum Chambers 'really excited' after Fulham loan switch

The 23-year-old could link up in central defence with former England Under-

Calum Chambers said he was "really excited" to join Fulham after arriving on a season-long loan deal from Arsenal.

The 23-year-old leaves the Gunners to join the newly-promoted Premier League side where he could link up in central defence with former England Under-21 team-mate Alfie Mawson.

Chambers told fulhamfc.com: "I watched a lot of Fulham last season, I really like the way they play football, there's a good manager, it's a great club, so I'm really excited for the season ahead.

Fulham, managed by Slavisa Jokanovic, have been active in the transfer market since they secured a Premier League return via the play-offs, bringing in Mawson from Swansea plus Jean Michael Seri, Maxime Le Marchand, Fabri and Andre Schurrle.

Mawson and Chambers paired up for England at the European Under-21 Championships in 2017, while the move to Craven Cottage could also re-ignite a senior England career for Chambers.

Chambers won three England caps in the space of two months in 2014 but has been out of the international picture during Gareth Southgate's time as manager.

Southgate knows all about Chambers, however, from his time as England Under-21 boss.

Fulham director of football operations Tony Khan added: "Calum is a versatile defender with Premier League experience, and the combination of his strong data profile and the positive reports from our scouting department confirm that he's a tremendous talent."

http://sport.bt.com/football/calum-chambers-really-excited-after-fulham-loan-switch-S11364288018344

WhiteJC

Fulham bring in Calum Chambers on loan
The Arsenal man is hoping to have a career resurgence at Craven Cottage

Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

In less than a week, Fulham went from being set at center back to needing reinforcements when rumors came flying in that new signing Alfie Mawson would be out until September due to a lingering knee injury. In came today's announcement that Calum Chambers joins Fulham on a season-long loan.

Simply put, it has been a trying time for the 23-year old hoping to make the grade at England's elite after breaking out at Southampton in 2014. If it wasn't for Luke Shaw, we'd be talking about Chambers as one of the great failed English prospects in this most recent World Cup cycle.

That said, it's not like he hasn't been getting any playing time with Arsenal at all. In 2017/18, Chambers made 12 appearances 869 minutes of Premier League competition for the North London club, as well as 600 minutes of Europa League competition. Along the way, he has proven to be a versatile player during his young career by playing at right back and in defensive midfield in times of need.

This skill set will come in handy if Fulham are not able to make anymore signings in the transfer window by week's end. The club still needs depth in midfield in case Kevin McDonald is either injured or not good enough for Premier League competition and the same can be said of Ryan Frederick's heir-appairant Cyrus Christie. Still, it will be at center back that Chambers will be first be expected to put in strong shifts.

All data from whoscored.com

However, his radar will indicate that the notion of banking on him to be an out-and-out starter is not great: regardless of where Chambers is in his development. While being a good passer of the ball, Chambers is not one to put in an elite cross in the box (career 20.4% crossing accuracy) nor is he one to break a defense with a bomb up the pitch (career 2.44 long ball passes per 90 minutes).

f anything, Chambers' greatest strengths are on the other side of the ball where he is strong in the tackle (career 2.70 tackles per 90 minutes) and will come in among the better Fulham players on the intercept, on blocking shots and in winning headers with frequency. That said, his style of play can be high-risk-high-reward and that will be something to look at as he hopes to compliment Tim Ream or Mawson at the center of the pitch. Below are some comparisons of Chambers' play throughout his league career in comparison to current and past Fulham Center Backs.

All data from whoscored.com

Lastly, Chambers just isn't anywhere near as mobile as Slavisa Jokanovic would like in a fullback. His dribbling is barely acceptable at that position (career 0.81 per 90 minutes), but his lack of a threatening ball (career 0.45 key passes per 90 minutes) is not going to be good enough to surpass Christie in the starting XI. I could absolutely see him in the holding midfield role once Mawson returns but even McDonald surpasses him in dribbling (career 0.95 per 90 minutes from the Scot) and long ball passing (career 4.66 per 90 minutes).

That all being said, center back play is so hard to evaluate using only data. Like Ream before him, if Chambers is able to develop under Jokanovic, he might have what it takes to restart his career and maybe even get back on the England squad. Otherwise, like Andre Schürrle, this is another low risk addition that Tony Kahn and Co. have brought to the club that may or may not break right for them. Either way, I definitely wish the former Southampton and Arsenal man the best of luck.

Welcome Calum!

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/8/7/17661290/fulham-bring-in-calum-chambers-on-loan

WhiteJC

'It's a great club, I'm really excited for the season': Calum Chambers looking forward to Fulham challenge after completing loan move from Arsenal

The 23-year-old joins newly-promoted Premier League side from Arsenal
    He could link up in defence with ex-England Under-21 team-mate Alfie Mawson
    The move to Fulham could re-ignite a senior England career for Calum Chambers

Calum Chambers said he was 'really excited' to join Fulham after arriving on a season-long loan deal from Arsenal.

The 23-year-old leaves the Gunners to join the newly-promoted Premier League side where he could link up in central defence with former England Under-21 team-mate Alfie Mawson.

Chambers told the club's website: 'I watched a lot of Fulham last season, I really like the way they play football, there's a good manager, it's a great club, so I'm really excited for the season ahead.

Calum Chambers said he was 'really excited' to join Fulham after joining on loan from Arsenal

'I really like the way they play football, there's a good manager, it's a great club,' he said

'Everyone can see that Fulham's a club that likes to play football, play football from the back, through the lines. That's the style of football I like as well, so I think it fits me and suits the way I play.'

Fulham, managed by Slavisa Jokanovic, have been active in the transfer market since they secured a Premier League return via the play-offs, bringing in Mawson from Swansea plus Jean Michael Seri, Maxime Le Marchand, Fabri and Andre Schurrle.

Mawson and Chambers paired up for England at the European Under 21 Championships in 2017, while the move to Craven Cottage could also re-ignite a senior England career for Chambers.

Chambers poses for a photograph in his new Fulham shirt after sealing a move across London

The 23-year-old defender leaves the Gunners to join the newly-promoted Premier League side

Chambers won three England caps in the space of two months in 2014 but has been out of the international picture during Gareth Southgate's time as manager.

Southgate knows all about Chambers, however, from his time as England Under 21 boss.

Fulham director of football operations Tony Khan added: 'Calum is a versatile defender with Premier League experience, and the combination of his strong data profile and the positive reports from our scouting department confirm that he's a tremendous talent.'

He could link up in central defence with former England Under-21 team-mate Alfie Mawson

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6037161/Calum-Chambers-looking-forward-Fulham-challenge.html

WhiteJC

Chambers shock move to Fulham confirmed by Arsenal

I don't think there are many Arsenal fans that are happy to see Calum Chambers move across London to Fulham as many of us felt that he was one of most consistent defenders in pre-season. But he obviously doesn't fit into Emery's plans this season as the Spaniard seems very happy to let him go. Emery said: "Calum is a talented defender who has a bright future. We all believe this loan at Fulham will be an important part of his development and wish him a successful season."

Chambers himself is very happy with the deal, and at least he should be assured of first team football at the Cottagers. He told FulhamFC: "I'm really excited. I watched a lot of Fulham last season, I really like the way they play football, there's a good manager, it's a great club, so I'm really excited for the season ahead,"

Well I wish the Englishman luck, but I have a feeling that Emery is going to regret this one when the games start piling up and the injury list starts growing.

But we will see, won't we?

Darren N

http://www.justarsenal.com/chambers-shock-move-to-fulham-confirmed-by-arsenal/136208

WhiteJC

Fulham round-up: One signed, one bid, one update

A selection of news and gossip from Fulham.

Ayew targeted

Fulham are keen to bolster their options in the final third ahead of the new campaign and have turned their sights towards Jordan Ayew, who has the unwanted record of already suffering relegation three times during his career.

Having scored 11 goals last season for relegated Swansea City, The Mirror states Fulham and Crystal Palace are vying for the Ghana international after he went AWOL from training in south Wales in an attempt to push through a late transfer.

Swansea are seeking £12m for the 26-year-old, who has also suffered relegation with Aston Villa and French club Sochaux.

Chambers arrives

Slavisla Jokanovic's side have secured another significant coup in the transfer market by luring Calum Chambers to Craven Cottage on a season long loan deal from Arsenal, with the England international providing depth at the back.

Capable of playing at right back or centrally in defence, as well as potentially in a defensive midfield role, Fulham confirmed the transfer yesterday for the 23-year-old – and a quick search on Twitter shows that Arsenal fans were less than impressed by their club's decision.

Capped three times by England, Chambers has earned 48 Premier League appearances at Arsenal and spent the 2016-17 campaign on loan with Middlebrough.

Rodgers on Boyata

Another defensive target widely linked with a late switch to Fulham is Belgium international Dedryck Boyata, with the Cottagers keen to bring in the 26-year-old from Celtic but finding the stance of the Scottish side to be very firm.

Sky Sports has confirmed that the Scottish champions have rejected an offer for Boyata, who has entered the final 12 months of his contract, and have no desire to cash-in on a player who impressed at the World Cup in Russia.

"Yes, we have had a few enquiries and there was a confirmed bid by Fulham for him. He is a player that we don't want to lose. We know he is in the last year of his deal. He is clearly a player of value. At this point in time for us, he is very important and the club rejected that."

– Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers makes his stance on Boyata clear.

Selnaes unlikely

Fulham are linked with a last-ditch attempt to lure Norway international Ole Selnaes from Ligue 1 side St. Etienne before Thursday's transfer deadline but will struggle to persuade the French club to agree a deal, the latest reports claim.

Showing reports printed in France, Sport Witness cite L'Equipe as stating St. Etienne do not want to sell the 24-year-old and will rebuff any advances from the Premier League side – unless a 'crazy offer' is tabled for the midfielder.

Contracted to the club until 2020, St. Etienne are under no pressure to sell the 17-cap international.

https://tbrfootball.com/fulham-round-one-signed-one-bid-one-update/