watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Lineup for Spurs

Started by bornafulhamfan, August 11, 2018, 10:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BernieBoy

I would personally make minimal changes to the side as we need to build consistency amongst players and making wholesale changes is going to disrupt things further.

Spurs are head and shoulders above what we have and playing "our way" will end up in a drubbing as they have unbelievable attacking players and are fairly solid at the back too.

Anguissa probably hasn't had enough time to be settled and chucked into the lineup (will he even have his work permit by then?), I would likely keep back four the same if Bryan isn't injured. Mawson not available, as that would be my only real change.

If we can keep the game tight then last 20-30 mins AK47 could do some damage on counter attack coming on fresh, providing we aren't 3/4 down!

fulhamben

Quote from: BernieBoy on August 12, 2018, 07:50:25 AM
I would personally make minimal changes to the side as we need to build consistency amongst players and making wholesale changes is going to disrupt things further.

Spurs are head and shoulders above what we have and playing "our way" will end up in a drubbing as they have unbelievable attacking players and are fairly solid at the back too.

Anguissa probably hasn't had enough time to be settled and chucked into the lineup (will he even have his work permit by then?), I would likely keep back four the same if Bryan isn't injured. Mawson not available, as that would be my only real change.

If we can keep the game tight then last 20-30 mins AK47 could do some damage on counter attack coming on fresh, providing we aren't 3/4 down!
as I posted in another thread yesterday, id be amazed if Bryan was fit for spurs going on his actions when it happened, which is a shame as I thought he was having a fantastic game
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

bog

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 12, 2018, 12:12:34 AM
Christie had a good game. Don't see any reason why he should be dropped. Our two central defenders had never played before and were the weak link. Sess was well marshalled today but will have better days.

They were full of him in the rad 5 commentary. Said we will not miss Fredericks.

092.gif

crazycottager

i think the same side should work, maybe play MLM on the left and Ream in the middle if he's fit. Christie looked good aside from crossing yesterday so i think we should keep him there. Rico in for Fabri. IF (and that's a big if) Anguissa is up to speed and ready i'd start him, if not i'd actually try Stefjo in for Kmac (Johansen has played at DM for Norway and will provide good potency and energy going forward) and maybe bring Kmac on late to kill the game off. Honestly don't know if Sess is going to get much service vs spurs. Maybe a physical presence like Kebano out on the left is better, or swap Schurrle over and play Kebano out Right, Sub AK and Sess on late to terrorize a tiring spurs back line if we're behind or drawing. If we're ahead maybe bringing Kmac on to protect the lead is ideal.

This first stretch of 3 games will be a slow start until mawson and anguissa are ready and odoi is available as depth at wing back. Once we have our full roster ready to go we'll be able to settle in and play the football we know and love. But until then i'd take a point at spurs.

ffc73

Same starters as yesterday if Bryan fit. If not Ream (if fit) in & MLM to LB

Joka to make call on which of 3 keepers he wants to have as his no1 after having them all working in training this week

Hopefully work permit has arrived for Anguissa as another defensive mid fielder may be useful next week on the bench

F.luke

Don't understand the call to drop Kmac thought he was one of the better proformers never looked under presssue until late on. TC, Sess and Schurrle were the weakest for me and of course the goalie
I'd keep the same team if poss bar Schurrle and the goalie

fulhamben

Quote from: F.luke on August 12, 2018, 09:04:50 AM
Don't understand the call to drop Kmac thought he was one of the better proformers never looked under presssue until late on. TC, Sess and Schurrle were the weakest for me and of course the goalie
yes I thought kmac looked decent as well. Broke up the play nicely.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: F.luke on August 12, 2018, 09:04:50 AM

McDonald played well by his own standards. But when you need to press higher, he doesn't have the speed to do it. Sometimes, you just need more than he can offer.

Pieter A’dam

I would put Fosu Mensah in, Christie was defensively Ok, but very very poor crossing. Seri created a lot space for him and he did not cross properly to Mitro once. And if you get space and dont use it in PL, then you'll loose all the time. I would keep both Centre backs, but Kane - Deli Ali is a different quality. Also would start with Schurrle and bring AK47 on after minutes, if we are still 0-0 or -10 then we still have a chance and AK can be very dangerous. I will be at Wembley to support, cant wait

Mince n Tatties

Watching motd Spurs defence was all over the place at times against Newcastle, who hit the post twice.
We'll get chances against them,but need to take them.
Coyw.

Statto

I reckon Bryan will be fit. He's posted on social media "looking forward to Spurs next week", no mention of any disappointment at being injured

toshes mate

Early games always tend towards odd results and I saw nothing yesterday to make me want to change things except for injuries.  But a lot will depend upon what happens during training sessions and the coaches get a better idea of their options.

grandad

Slavisa said he would pick teams for whoever we play. If this means changes in set up I wonder if he could go 3-5-2 which is the same as 5-3-2.

Rico/ Betts

Chambers    Ream    Le Marchand

Christie      Seri        Anguissa   Cairney       Sessegnon

AK 47/Vietto            Mitrovic

This would beef up our defence a bit more. The danger man will be Alli who will drift in to the left side of the goal   which is where he scores most. This formation will also allow us to counter break quicker. Cairney must play higher to provide more defence splitting passes. Yesterday he was even the 1st receiver from our GK many times. 
Where there's a will there's a wife

fulhamben

Quote from: grandad on August 12, 2018, 10:13:25 AM
Slavisa said he would pick teams for whoever we play. If this means changes in set up I wonder if he could go 3-5-2 which is the same as 5-3-2.

Rico/ Betts

This would beef up our defence a bit more. The danger man will be Alli who will drift in to the left side of the goal   which is where he scores most. This formation will also allow us to counter break quicker. Cairney must play higher to provide more defence splitting passes. Yesterday he was even the 1st receiver from our GK many times. 
think he meant pick different players as opposed to formations. He also said he wouldn't play defensively so that all but rules out your formation

grandad

Quote from: fulhamben on August 12, 2018, 10:15:46 AM

Rico/ Betts

think he meant pick different players as opposed to formations. He also said he wouldn't play defensively so that all but rules out your formation

Against the top 6 teams I think he will have to be a bit more defence minded or we will get hammered with the pace these teams play at when they attack. We will need more bodies to stifle them.

hovewhite

Think we will get a pasting next week simply because we are starting with a new team unrecognizable from the play off final and don't expect us to gel for a good few weeks yet!

fulhamben

Quote from: grandad on August 12, 2018, 10:22:47 AM

Rico/ Betts

Against the top 6 teams I think he will have to be a bit more defence minded or we will get hammered with the pace these teams play at when they attack. We will need more bodies to stifle them.
again  I'm not so sure, we've seen it time and again, that when We play more defensively that it has the adverse effect and we end up getting pinned back and eventually conceed.granted our new players might be better at it, but I'd rather go down fighting than being so affraid that we rip up everything that has made us good in the last few seasons

grandad

Quote from: fulhamben on August 12, 2018, 11:35:29 AM

Rico/ Betts

again  I'm not so sure, we've seen it time and again, that when We play more defensively that it has the adverse effect and we end up getting pinned back and eventually conceed.granted our new players might be better at it, but I'd rather go down fighting than being so affraid that we rip up everything that has made us good in the last few seasons

What I am trying to say is not to go all out defensive but to play a system which we can adapt to different phases in the game. My 3-5-2 can easily transition from defence to attack with a 5 man MF with 2 up top.

fulhamben

Quote from: grandad on August 12, 2018, 12:01:01 PM

Rico/ Betts

What I am trying to say is not to go all out defensive but to play a system which we can adapt to different phases in the game. My 3-5-2 can easily transition from defence to attack with a 5 man MF with 2 up top.
yes it can, but what also happens a lot to s you get done on the counter and end with 3 at the back, or on quick breaks you still have 5 at the back and next to no one up top.

grandad

Quote from: fulhamben on August 12, 2018, 12:14:04 PM
Quote from: grandad on August 12, 2018, 12:01:01 PM

Rico/ Betts

yes it can, but what also happens a lot to s you get done on the counter and end with 3 at the back, or on quick breaks you still have 5 at the back and next to no one up top.

Best to leave it up to Slavisa. He knows more than any of us. Anyway we are not paid to decide. In Slavisa I trust.