Sunday
Liverpool
4 - 0 West Ham
Southampton
0 - 0 Burnley
Arsenal
0 - 2 Man City

WhiteJC

A lesson in Premier League football & Jean-Michael Seri's quality - Fulham talking points

Here's what we took from an opening day defeat at Craven Cottage to Crystal Palace

Fulham's return to the Premier League didn't go according to plan after they were beaten by 2-0 by Crystal Palace in what was a lesson in the top flight.

The Cottagers started the game well and played their brand of football that had served them superbly in the Championship, but Roy Hodgson's Eagles were full of that Premier League know-how that saw them come away from west London with all three points.

It was a sharp learning curve for all those involved at the club as Fulham played their first game in the top flight in four years, but with 37 matches left to play the side will be confident they'll learn from this experience and take it into their next game.

Here's what we took from the match.

Lesson in Premier League football

Fulham were taught a lesson in Premier League football by a Crystal Palace side well tuned to how to get points from the top flight.

The hosts went into the game with game plan A - to play the same style of football that got them to where they are today, and for the first 40 minutes that seemed to be working fine.

However, with both full backs bombing on, space was left in behind and that left Calum Chambers and Maxime Le Marchand too exposed - something that was evident in the first goal.

Wilfried Zaha found himself running direct at Chambers a number of times and was it not for some good defending from the loanee, the Ivory Coast man would've scored more.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side didn't take their chances too, and in the top flight, if you don't take them you can expect your opponents to and that's exactly what Palace did, striking twice.

It's a lesson for all at Fulham, and one they need to learn quickly.

(Image: Christopher Lee/Getty Images)

Seven summer signings make their debuts

Seven new faces appeared for Fulham during the course of 90 minutes, while Aleksandar Mitrovic made his second debut after joining permanently from Newcastle United.

It was a near-enough completely new back five, with Fabri, Le Marchand, Chambers and Joe Bryan all signing this summer, while Cyrus Christie was back-up to Ryan Fredericks.

Meanwhile we also saw Jean-Michael Seri make his debut in Fulham colours, while Luciano Vietto also got a debut, coming on as a second half substitute.

It's been well documented that Fulham brought in 12 new players over the summer and it will take time for the side to gel and become a unit.

That's not to mention there's probably still a lot more debuts to come.

(Image: Justin Setterfield/Getty Images)

Jean-Michael Seri looks a quality addition

I think it was clear that the Ivory Coast midfielder was probably one of the best players on the pitch, and it's no wonder why he nearly signed for Barcelona last year.

His vision, touch and ability to tackle were all Premier League quality and he looks like he'll be a real addition to Fulham's midfield over the course of this season.

He tired towards the end a bit, but that fitness will come with playing more games, and as he gets more used to the way Jokanovic has his sides playing I'm sure he will go from strength to strength in the side.

Looking ahead

Now the first game is out of the way, Fulham can start looking ahead to the season as a whole and to Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday at Wembley Stadium.

However, they must learn from the defeat to Palace - in future home games against teams that will be around Fulham are games they have to be taking three points from if they wish to stay in this division.

They can put this loss down to experience, but from here on in that excuse becomes less and less feasible as the side gain more and more experience.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/lesson-premier-league-football--15019403

WhiteJC

Alan Shearer has his say on penalty appeal in Crystal Palace's win at Fulham

Pundit suggests that Fulham should have had a penalty in Craven Cottage clash

It was a big moment in the context of the game, with Crystal Palace leading 1-0 against Fulham.

And former Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer says he feels Fulham should have been awarded a penalty when Andre Schurrle went down in the box under a challenge from Palace defender Mamadou Sakho.

It wasn't given by referee Mike Dean, and Palace went on to win the game 2-0, with Wilfried Zaha adding to Jeffrey Schlupp's first half opener to give the Eagles all three points.

But Shearer suggested that the hosts could feel hard done by, adding that he felt there was contact as the Frenchman challenged the German in the box.

"I thought it was a penalty, but Mike Dean was adamant at the time that it wasn't," the pundit said, speaking on BBC programme Match of the Day.

"It was [Mamadou Sakho] on [Andre] Schurrle, the ball comes in to him and he is quickest to react, he gets there first.

"Mike Dean, he is ten yards away, I think that is a penalty and there is no need for Schurrle to go down there.

"But look at Mike Dean's position, he said no straight away.

"It was 1-0 at the time and I think it could have made a big difference."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/shearer-penalty-incident-fulham-palace-15019680

WhiteJC

Fulham boss still confident
Fulham 0 Crystal Palace 2

Slavisa Jokanovic vowed that Fulham will improve and adjust to the demands of the Premier League after watching them lose on their return, at home to Crystal Palace.

After his team's promising start was followed by numerous wasted goalscoring chances, Palace punished their brief lapses in intensity and concentration to secure all three points through finishes from Jeffrey Schlupp and Wilfried Zaha.

Crystal Palace's Patrick van Aanholt in action with Fulham's Cyrus Christie. Photo: Reuters

Their clinical performance demonstrated the qualities Fulham will have to develop if they are to preserve their Premier League status while continuing to play so expansively, but having handed full debuts to six summer signings Jokanovic was "confident" that that would come.

"These new players have had two training sessions," said the Fulham manager. "I trust we will play better than we played today. We'll work hard and adapt ourselves for the games ahead.

"I'm confident. It's a tough job ahead of us. So we must be optimists and trust in ourselves. We showed we can be brave, but were a bit shy in the end. We had 15 shots to Palace's 10.

Palace goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey excelled in consistently denying Fulham, having been preferred to summer signing Vicente Guaita, with manager Roy Hodgson justified in his decision to keep faith with the Welshman: "(Hennessey) finished the end of the season exceptionally well. Both goalkeepers have done well in pre-season; I had no reason to take the shirt from Wayne.

"Slavisa is probably not unhappy with the way his team played, but unhappy with the result. We scored two very good goals," Hodgson added.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/fulham-boss-still-confident-37207269.html

WhiteJC

Club chief explains why player joined Fulham, talks about failed attempt to sign Chelsea player

Sevilla allowed their goalkeeper, Sergio Rico, to join Fulham on a season-long loan deal on deadline day of the transfer window.

The Spaniard conceded 59 goals in 40 appearances in all competitions for Los Rojiblancos last season, which includes 39 goals from 24 league appearances. His performance was not widely appreciated by the leaders of the La Liga outfit.

Sevilla director of football Joaquin Caparros has revealed all parties involved felt a temporary move to Fulham was the 'best, hard loan' for the club's custodian and remains hopeful the 24-year-old can return to the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán as a much better player.

"Last year was not Sergio's best year. All the parties have decided that it was the best, a pure and hard loan and that next year on June 30th he can return," Caparros told Cadena SER, as quoted by Estadio Deportivo.

Meanwhile, Sevilla were also interested in bringing Chelsea forward Michy Batshuayi to the club. However, the Belgium international snubbed an opportunity to join them and signed for their league rivals Valencia because of the opportunity to play in the Champions League.

"Batshuayi decided to go to a team that was going to play Champions League, we made an offer to buy the footballer, but he wanted to play elsewhere," the Sevilla director of football explained.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-chief-explains-player-joined-fulham-talks-failed-attempt-sign-chelsea-player/

WhiteJC

Mark Schwarzer comments on new Fulham signings

Fulham crashed to a 2-0 defeat against Crystal Palace in their Premier League opener.

The Cottagers were expected to make a positive start to the season after the kind of window they had. However, Palace managed to grind out the result in the end.

Jokanovic's men started the game really well but they struggled to finish off the chances. Eventually, the likes of Zaha made them pay.

Former Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer has had his say on the club's transfer dealings this summer. As per the former fan favourite, the new signings lack the steel Fulham need in the Premier League.

Furthermore, he believes that most of them have very little Premier League experience apart from Schurrle.

He said to BBC (page 8): "The money Fulham have spent is quite a shock, the first promoted club to spend over £100m. For any team to do that before the start of a season is remarkable. The big question is the players coming in, very few have Premier League experience apart from Andre Schurrle. Will they be able to adapt quickly? Fulham need steel and Premier League experience, not many of them have it."

It will be interesting to see how Fulham bounce back from this one. Although some of the signings did not look impressive against Palace, it is foolish to suggest that they are lacking in steel just yet.

Furthermore, the likes of Fosu-Mensah, Chambers, Mawson have plenty of experience in the Premier League.

It is clear that the new players will need some time to bed in and the fans will just have to be patient.

http://sportslens.com/mark-schwarzer-comments-on-new-fulham-signings/241390/

WhiteJC

Fulham should have used the summer transfer window to bring back this former defensive ace

Life back in the Premier League got off to a miserable start for Fulham, as Crystal Palace brought them back down to earth with a bump this weekend.

There is a talented squad in place at the Cottage, but Premier League nouse and knowhow is something which will be needed long term, and we at the Transfer Tavern think the club have missed a trick this summer by not signing former defender Chris Smalling.

Smalling has been a mainstay of the United team for a few seasons now, but is no longer guaranteed a start under Jose Mourinho, with the likes of Phil Jones and Eric Bailly ahead of him in the pecking order, and a young Victor Lindelof continuing to improve.

Smalling is a class act though, and with The Cottagers looking to really improve their squad over the course of the campaign, he would slot in very nicely into a back four which was exposed this weekend.

Strong, plenty of experience, and someone who would be welcome back at the club, Smalling would no doubt have been an excellent signing for Fulham, and is someone the club should look to move for in January if they can.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/fulham-should-have-used-the-summer-transfer-window-to-bring-back-this-former-defensive-ace/

WhiteJC

Fulham 0-2 Palace – Player Ratings

Fulham's return to the big time turned into a day of frustration as Roy Hodgson's Crystal Palace ran out 2-0 winners at Craven Cottage. In truth, Palace had the clinical edge that Fulham didn't, even though they found themselves without the ball for long stretches of the game. It has to be a lesson learned for Slavisa Jokanovic's side but all in all there are plenty of things to be positive about.

Here are my player ratings from yesterday's match –

Fabri – 6

The Spanish stopper was at the end of a barrage of abuse from some fans after the second goal that killed the game yesterday, but I personally feel that the response was quite unfair. Yes, he came out far too early to make the finish much easier than it should have been for Wilfred Zaha, but we could also point fingers at Ryan Sessegnon who had been dropped back to LB at the time, and either of our two centre back who were slow to react. Before the mistake I thought Fabri had a solid enough game. He made seven saves – more than any other keeper in the league this weekend, with the one from Benteke's header in the first half particularly impressive. However, his positioning at times was suspect, and there were a couple of nervy moments. But let's remember that our back five had never played together before in a competitive match which may have contributed to this.

Christie – 5

The only player from our back line who had played for Fulham last season was Cyrus Christie, who was brought in during the January transfer window when Fuham knew that Fredericks would be away in the summer. He was very lively going up and down the right flank and was constantly getting into the right positions for a cross but his link up play with Schurrle wasn't quite up to scratch so more time will be required. However it's his crossing that was the most disappointing part of his play. He attempted 12 crosses yesterday, more than anyone else in the league but I am struggling to remember any that came off. In Mitrovic we have a monster up front, but that monster needs to be fed. The positive thing is that he is getting into the right positions, but I'd imagine that the final ball will have to become his focus over the next weeks in training.

Le Marchand – 6

I was very impressed with our French full-back. With the signings of Mawson and Chambers, and with Ream and Odoi still to come back from injury, it will be interesting to see who will establish themselves as our centre backs, but I certainly saw a lot to be liked from Le Marchand yesterday. Remarkably he made 84 successful passes yesterday, that's the seventh highest number in the opening weekend in the whole league. He also made a number of key tackles in the middle of the park to break up play.

Chambers – 6

Similarly to Le Marchand, Chambers will have to be up for a bit of competition for the shirt. His first game in Fulham colours was very positive, though, and he is another who I think will only improve as he gets to know his teammates better. However, he wasn't tight enough to Schlupp for the first goal and Palace were quick to capitalise. A decent enough start for him, but room for improvement.

Bryan – 6

Joe Bryan looks to have been a very smart buy from Jokanovic. Quick feet and solid in both attack and defence. I can't really give him more than 6 because he didn't have as big an impact as he could have, but I don't think he put a foot wrong. It's interesting to note that while Christie on the opposite flank had 12 attempted crosses, Bryan only had 4. I'm not sure why we played much more down the right than the left, but I think we need a more balanced approach moving forward, especially as Bryan's crossing ability looks to be better than Christie's. Hopefully his ankle injury isn't going to keep him out of the next game.

McDonald – 5

I don't think that McDonald looked that comfortable so hopefully we will see an improvement next week. He is one of my favourite players in a Fulham shirt, but I thought that he slowed the play down a lot yesterday, which was one of the reasons why we struggled to create as much as our possession warranted. Looked slightly off the pace when trying to be our defensive shield but I think this is more down to an injury that prevented him from starting preseason as early as some of the rest and not down to ability.

Cairney – 6

For the first 30-40minutes I thought that Cairney looked to have made the step up to the Premier League with ease, but he faded a bit as time went on. However, he looks to have already formed a fluid relationship with Seri and their passing stats are very impressive. Cairney made 93 successful passes yesterday, second only to the 102 of James Milner against West Ham today. Who else made 93 passes you may ask? Jean Michael Seri. It could be the start of something wonderful. Watch this space!

Seri- 7

I think Fulham have found an absolute smasher in Seri. As already mentioned, he had 93 successful passes. He also had 119 touches (2nd in the league this weekend) and made 6 tackles (1st in the league alongside a few other players). If we can just get the final ball right, then he could be what makes us tick this year. I was very surprised when we was brought off as I think that he was the best man on the pitch yesterday, but maybe so early in the season he is lacking fitness. I think the best is yet to come from him.

Sessegnon -5

A mixed day for one of England's brightest talents. He was very lively in the first half and was a real handful for the Palace defence, but disappeared in the second half. When he was pushed back to LB he was too slow to react in the phase of play were Zaha scored, which puts questions over his defensive abilities. However, I saw enough in the first half going forward to tell me that can step up. For an 18 year old making his Premier League debut, he was actually quite impressive. He will do damage to defences this year, but we will have to be prepared to be patient.

Schurrle- 5

Again I saw enough to be convinced that Schurrle will be a real weapon for us this year, but he hasn't quite built a bond with Christie yet. We weren't quick enough to get the ball to him, so we lost a few opportunities to set him loose. He set up Mitrovic for a really good chance in the first half and on another day probably would have put us in the lead and he really should have been awarded a penalty in the second half. We saw glimmers of quality so hopefully he only improves.

Mitrovic – 6

Mitro did well to work with the limited supply that he got. He made a few chances for himself when he rolled the defender or used his strength to bring others into the game. On another day he could have bagged a couple so there are plenty of signs that he will have a fruitful season at Fulham. We need to supply him with better chances though, as we can't have our biggest goal threat having to drop deep to get the ball.

Substitutes –

Kamara – 5

AK went back to his 'bull in a china shop' style instead of the focused player we had at the end of last season. He could be a real impact sub for us this season, but yesterday I just saw him push people over. He made some great runs and put in a few good challenges, but he will need to become more focused. His erratic-at-times tackles will get him in trouble, so he will need to be careful.

Vietto – 5

Another debut for one of our deadline day buys. He looked very lively but didn't really manage to get into the game, but he looks like he could be useful for us in the little we saw of him.

Johansen – N/A

Wasn't on the pitch for long enough to really do anything. He did manage to stick the boot in a few times, though, prompting at least one angry response from Palace. Just like old times, eh? I'm not sure how much we will see of him this year, but I'd like to see him given a chance.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/fulham-0-2-palace-player-ratings/

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic pinpoints where Fulham must improve in order to thrive in the Premier League

Fulham controlled possession but were on the end of a 2-0 defeat to Crystal Palace on the opening day of the season

Slavisa Jokanovic insists that Fulham will continue to play the style of football that has served them well in the past - but admits they must adapt to the Premier League.

The Cottagers were beaten on the opening day of the season by Crystal Palace, whose top flight know-how saw them allow the hosts to control possession before devastating them on the counter-attack.

Despite controlling the ball and trying to find openings, Fulham never really created any clear-cut chances, with their best efforts coming as a result of Aleksandar Mitrovic's strong hold-up play before turning and striking towards goal.

The defeat represents a learning curve for Fulham, but despite that, Jokanovic feels the way his side plays will benefit them more than defending deep and parking the bus.

Speaking after the game, he said: "First of all we are not in Championship, this is Premier League and for another side it's a welcome for all of us to have the opportunity to test this level.

"I believe my team showed different positive things and I believe we can improve too - we must improve many things.

"We show more or less the style we want to follow and we must adapt ourselves and mentality say to ourselves we will find more power, more speed and more quality.

"Mistakes that we made in the past, they will be more expensive now than in the Championship.

"If you ask me if I will put the bus in my box and try to finish the game 0-0, I don't have this quality in my team and it's so complicated for us to do something like this.

"If you ask me if I make the risk, in all my life I make some kind of the risk, but this is what we are doing and I believe it is less risk than parking the bus and waiting for a 0-0.

Crystal Palace's Aaron Wan-Bissaka (left) and Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon battle for the ball during the Premier League match at Craven Cottage, London. Photo: Yui Mok/PA Wire.

"Yes, we are going to try follow our style and we must adapt ourselves, we must adapt for this level.

"We are in a process and we need to work - if somebody didn't make any investment they can probably be in better position than we are but we need to build the Premier League team.

"We are ready to do this, asking about the time is better but in general I believe two players that participate today after just two days working with us, we are going to get better.

Kevin McDonald is challenged by Christian Benteke during the Premier League match between Fulham and Crystal Palace at Craven Cottage on August 11, 2018 in London, United Kingdom. (Photo by Christopher Lee/Getty Images)

"We need time.

"We need to adapt ourselves and I cannot answer whether we will need three days, you have enough experience and can answer how long it take to build one team.

"It'll take some time, we are going to see what kind of time we are going to need but we are ready for working hard.

"I cannot criticise my team because we put everything that we can put on the field today, it wasn't enough but I agree completely with you, we need to be optimistic and not give up."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/slavisa-jokanovic-believes-fulham-need-15019469

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Post Match Show: Fulham vs. Crystal Palace
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our post match show of the 2-0 loss for Fulham against Crystal Palace. During the show, co-host Emilio Di Nello, who was at Craven Cottage, analyzed the key moments to this match.  We also shared and discussed the results of the Friend Of Fulham Man Of The Match Poll.

to listen to the podcast follow this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/8/13/17682022/cottage-talk-post-match-show-fulham-vs-crystal-palace

WhiteJC

Dedryck Boyata's agent claims Celtic have turned down big cash bids from Fulham, Fenerbahce and Olympiakos as transfer dispute rumbles on

Dedryck Boyata's agent says Celtic turned down multi-million pound bids for him
    Olympiakos, Fenerbahce and Fulham are all claimed to have wanted the player
    Agent Jacques Lichtenstein has become embroiled in a transfer row with Celtic

Dedryck Boyata's agent claims Celtic have turned down multi-million pound bids for the unsettled defender from Olympiakos, Fenerbahce and Fulham.

Jacques Lichtenstein has become embroiled in a transfer row with the Parkhead club after the Belgian World Cup star rejected a new contract and downed tools over their refusal to sell him.

Fulham had a bid turned down before the English transfer deadline last week. And Lichtenstein, who arrived at Lennoxtown unannounced last Friday to demand a meeting with Brendan Rodgers, claims the Scottish champions have also kicked out offers from Olympiakos of Greece and Turkish giants Fenerbahce.

Dedryck Boyata's agent says Celtic have rejected multi-million pound bids for the defender

'Previously there was interest from Fulham, Olympiakos and Fenerbahce,' claimed Lichtenstein. 'Offers of £7million and £8m - but apparently Celtic is financially strong enough not to go into that. It's strange, because on the other hand, the club apparently does not have the money to make Dedryck a dignified new contract proposal.'

Rodgers will be bolstered by Moussa Dembele's return from a hamstring injury for tomorrow night's crucial Champions League qualifier with AEK Athens in Greece, but Boyata - who missed Saturday's league defeat to Hearts - looks unlikely to play for Celtic again for fear of jeopardising hopes of a big-money transfer.

Sevilla, Lazio and Roma have all been credited with an interest, and Lichtenstein claimed: 'Dedryck is currently slightly injured. He does not want to take the risk of making that injury worse, because in four months he can talk to any club about a free transfer.'

Celtic boss Rodgers admitted at the weekend that the situation was 'difficult' for 27-year-old Boyata.

Responding to a barrage of criticism from Lichtenstein in Belgian media over the weekend, Rodgers said after the 1-0 defeat to Hearts: 'Dedryck's agent turned up at the training ground.

'The day before the game the training ground is closed.

'He wanted to speak to me at 10 o'clock. But at 10.30 am I had a game review.

'I told him I wanted to speak to him afterwards, but when I returned after the training, he was no longer there.'

Confirming he had made an unscheduled visit to the Lennoxtown training ground, Lichtenstein added: 'That's right. Dedryck did not feel well, that's why we did not stay, but if Brendan Rodgers wants to reach me, he can always do that.'

With Boyata AWOL and Kristoffer Ajer suspended, Rodgers will be forced to lean once more on the unfamiliar central defensive pairing of Jack Hendry and Jozo Simunovic in Athens.

A Simunovic error paved the way for Kyle Lafferty's winner as the Scottish champions rested key players at Tynecastle.

Insisting the duo can find a way to keep the back door shut, however, Hendry said: 'Yes we train with each other every day so we know each other's games well. I thought in large spells we did really well together today. The goal was unfortunate and we need to bounce back from that.

'But I'm sure whoever plays in central defence will be more than capable.'

Bullish over Celtic's chances in the Olympic Stadium despite the loss of an away goal in Glasgow, Hendry added: 'If we play as we did at home we shouldn't have any problems. We're confident going into that game and hopefully we can get the right result.

'I think we've just got to remain positive.

'The last game we played against them I thought we dominated, so if we just go over and try to implement our game plan again I'm sure we do well.

'Obviously it's disappointing with the draw and the loss at Hearts, but I'm sure with the quality we have in our side we're going to bounce back strong.'

Insisting reports of a rift between manager Brendan Rodgers and the Celtic board have had no bearing on the dressing room, the £1.5million signing from Dundee added: 'I haven't heard anything about and I'm sure the lads aren't taking any notice of it either. We're fully focused at the end of the day on getting results, and that's it.'

At least there was a boost for Celtic yesterday when Dembele joined the Celtic squad travelling to Athens on Sunday, with Rodgers set to take a major gamble by unleashing the French striker against AEK.

Sidelined with a hamstring complaint since the home game with Alashkert four weeks ago, Dembele had previously been ruled out of both legs against the Greek champions.

Requiring a goal in Athens to stand any chance of progressing to the play-off round, though, Rodgers seems set to throw him in at some point in the hope they can yet reverse the damage done by drawing the first leg 1-1.

Playing alongside Odsonne Edouard, Dembele started the season on fire only to pull up late in the return match with the Armenians.

But it seems he will be asked to make his return ahead of schedule, as Rodgers seeks the result which can maintain his hopes of managing in the group stages for a third successive season.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6053527/Dedryck-Boyatas-agent-claims-Celtic-turned-big-bids-Fulham-others.html

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon and Slavisa Jokanovic admit Fulham were taught some harsh lessons by Crystal Palace

But it isn't all doom and gloom after a promising performance with six new faces in the starting XI

Fulham never looked out of their depth in their Premier League opener against Crystal Palace, despite a 2-0 defeat that taught them some harsh lessons about life in the top flight.

In fact, the Cottagers started the better side and dominated possession throughout, as you might expect from a Slavisa Jokanovic team. The continuity from last year in terms of style and quality was actually quite impressive, especially so when you consider that six new signings started with three more on the bench. Add in some familiarity and chemistry to this team and the feeling is that Fulham could have what it takes to stay clear of the relegation battle.

As always for newly-promoted sides, however, 40 points will be the first objective.

And after a game in which Fulham were reminded how ruthless Premier League opponents can be, their coach and players spoke of lessons they had already learnt and improvements they will need to imminently put into place.

"It's different to the Championship," said Ryan Sessegnon, who was shackled all afternoon by Palace's impressive Aaron Wan-Bissaka. "I basically had less time on the ball; it's just how you adapt, hopefully in the coming games I can adapt.

"The pace of the game's quicker, you have to be clinical, you have to be smart...  We had the chances, we didn't take them, and credit to Palace – they did and they won the game."

As Sessegnon so succinctly put it, being clinical was something that Palace were and Fulham weren't, though one of Wayne Hennessey's finest performances in four years as an Eagles had something to do with that. Jeffrey Schlupp slammed home one goal on the counter-attack in the first half and Wilfried Zaha did the same in the second to win this game for the visitors though Zaha and Christian Benteke could easily have added more.

"First of all we are not in the Championship, this is the Premier League," said Jokanovic emphatically post-match,

"I believe my team showed different positive things. I believe too we can improve definitely after this kind of result, we must improve many things.

"We showed, more or less, the style that we want to follow. On another side, we must adapt ourselves, we must mentally adapt ourselves and say we are going to find more power, more quality. The mistakes we made in the past, they are going to be more expensive than in the Championship.

"We need to build a Premier League team. We are ready to do this. Two players played today after only two days with us - they are going to be better."

Whether those players should have started in the first place becomes the debate, but not one that is worth digging too deep into given the surprising cohesion with which the Cottagers played on Saturday. Roy Hodgson, as wily a coach as they come, fielded a Palace team full of Premier League experience and with no new signings to offer the complete antidote to what Jokanovic had gone for on opening day. It was Palace's know-how and deadly counter-attacking, led by the irrepressible Wilfried Zaha, that accounted for Fulham as it did so many more established Premier League sides down the stretch last season. Fulham won't be the last, either, with Palace having kept together a squad that is perfectly built to hit teams on the break.

And that is why, despite defeat, the attitude around Craven Cottage remained pretty positive, with expectations tempered, perhaps, by a dose of reality.

"It was exciting. A great atmosphere," said Jokanovic. "You can feel it's a different level, everything. A better opposition, a tougher situation for us. Some challenge for me personally and some challenge for my players and for the club. And for our supporters, too. They know what is this level, they know it is not going to be easy. They are going to push strong and hard to encourage us and to a better level than we had today."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-slavisa-jokanovic-ryan-sessegnon-crystal-palace-premier-league-a8488706.html

Bill2

Quote from: WhiteJC on August 13, 2018, 06:59:14 AM

Alan Shearer has his say on penalty appeal in Crystal Palace's win at Fulham

Pundit suggests that Fulham should have had a penalty in Craven Cottage clash

It was a big moment in the context of the game, with Crystal Palace leading 1-0 against Fulham.

And former Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer says he feels Fulham should have been awarded a penalty when Andre Schurrle went down in the box under a challenge from Palace defender Mamadou Sakho.

It wasn't given by referee Mike Dean, and Palace went on to win the game 2-0, with Wilfried Zaha adding to Jeffrey Schlupp's first half opener to give the Eagles all three points.

But Shearer suggested that the hosts could feel hard done by, adding that he felt there was contact as the Frenchman challenged the German in the box.

"I thought it was a penalty, but Mike Dean was adamant at the time that it wasn't," the pundit said, speaking on BBC programme Match of the Day.

"It was [Mamadou Sakho] on [Andre] Schurrle, the ball comes in to him and he is quickest to react, he gets there first.

"Mike Dean, he is ten yards away, I think that is a penalty and there is no need for Schurrle to go down there.

"But look at Mike Dean's position, he said no straight away.

"It was 1-0 at the time and I think it could have made a big difference."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/shearer-penalty-incident-fulham-palace-15019680
Speaking to a Palace fan last night he said it was a stone wall penalty. Hoping for better reffing than this. It would have been poor in the Championship.