watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Joka v Warnock

Started by choice_of_ends, August 13, 2018, 12:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choice_of_ends

Fulham on 2nd with 671 passes after gameweek 1, whilst Liverpool 1st with 672 passes and Palace 19th with 345. Cardiff 20th with 287 passes.

So, Warnock keeps on parking the bus, whilst Joka sticks to his Championship strategy also in the Prem.

Which strategy will finish higher in the end?

fulhamben

We should do, just need to be more clinical. And we have some major reinforcements to come back to help out the defence
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Lighthouse

Well I think we have a squad, once fit and available, that should be able to do either. Depending on who we are playing. I thought we were very good going forward against a side that were equally good on the break. Cardiff, on the other hand were playing away and never likely going to get anywhere. Cardiff will be relying heavily on their home form to pick up extra wins. Whereas I think we will be dangerous playing on the break and have never been as good or clinical when in the drivers seat.

The Spuds game will be interesting just to see our tactics. I don't foresee us doing that well.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

PossessionKings

To be fair, the money spend difference will be the difference

choice_of_ends

The difference will be the points on the tally.

Cardiff will start collecting points by stonewalling sooner rather than later. They could keep the team together, more or less. We have to rebuild, after losing several loan players from last season.

What are we going to do? If we pass ourselves to death and run into the trap, we will finish empty-handed every gameweek.

Statto

We will finish higher than Cardiff, 100% guaranteed

I'm also already 95% confident we'll finish higher than Huddersfield

Rest of them could be a bit trickier...

LRCN

quite clearly this shows completed passes is not the metric to judge the merits of a team.

however cardiff do look incredibly limited. they'll probably finish with 30 odd points but be relegated.

bornafulhamfan

Quote from: Statto on August 13, 2018, 12:57:05 PM
We will finish higher than Cardiff, 100% guaranteed

I'm also already 95% confident we'll finish higher than Huddersfield

Rest of them could be a bit trickier...
I am pretty confident we are be better than Bournemouth, Brighton and Wolves too, and think we will get better than Palace and Watford, probably even Burnley because they play European football this season. If we managed all that, we would be 12th,which would be amazing imo.

..FOF..

The Passing game is a Patience game.

It takes patience in the 90min but with a new team, it will also takes patience for them to gel first.

HV71

Stylish vs uncouth
Principled vs unethical
Modern vs dinosaur

.......do I need to go on

Statto

Quote from: LRCN on August 13, 2018, 01:03:08 PM
quite clearly this shows completed passes is not the metric to judge the merits of a team.

however cardiff do look incredibly limited. they'll probably finish with 30 odd points but be relegated.

have to disagree - haven't we learned anything from last season?

look at the stat over the course of a season and it's incredibly similar to the final league table

you get some anomalous teams (eg Burnley) or games (eg us v palace on saturday) but generally the correlation is very strong between possession, passes, passes completed etc on the one hand, and league position on the other 

FFCFOREVER

Absolutely no contest. Once this team properly gel we will finish well above Cardiff.

nose returns

i hate the endless use of stats. we play a possesion game and palace play on the break therefore the only time the stats would be interesting is if we didn't do so well.... place let us have possesion. the only numbers that counts were nil and two and we all know that.

toshes mate

If we had used the possession we had more 'clinically' as SJ says as often as he needs to, we would not have lost the game.  If we had started last season with one or two essential additions to a settled team rather than one with a missing left back and absent striker we would have finished higher than Cardiff and possibly in first place.  Although possession is not a means in itself when you have the ball your opponent cannot score.  What happened on Saturday is not what I think will be happening in a few weeks time when the team has settled into a much more resourceful style where possession is used to create and take chances.  We may repeat the mistake of not keeping a solid core team from one season to the next if we recruit early enough in a window but the team must be given time to gel if it is a complete rework much as the one that played on Saturday.

Patience is needed and the hope we will not stumble too often in the next month or so.

Statto

Quote from: nose returns on August 13, 2018, 03:43:57 PM
i hate the endless use of stats. we play a possesion game and palace play on the break therefore the only time the stats would be interesting is if we didn't do so well.... place let us have possesion. the only numbers that counts were nil and two and we all know that.

Bloody hell I must be in a time machine... It's October 2017 again

nose returns

Quote from: Statto on August 13, 2018, 03:58:05 PM

your right this is de ja vu

For stats to have meaning, you have to understand what they mean (oh dear that sounds too much like a folk song...). just having possession is irrelevant if the other team surrenders the ball to you. What is relevant is what you do with the ball....

Statto

Quote from: nose returns on August 13, 2018, 04:46:23 PM
Quote from: Statto on August 13, 2018, 03:58:05 PM

your right this is de ja vu

For stats to have meaning, you have to understand what they mean (oh dear that sounds too much like a folk song...). just having possession is irrelevant if the other team surrenders the ball to you. What is relevant is what you do with the ball....

Was that the Palace strategy then?
"Right lads here's the plan: we'll let Mitrovic have several gilt-edged chances and rely on Hennessey to put it a MotM performance and save them, and we can also rely on this ref not to give them a penalty do don't worry about them dribbling in and around the box. Then we'll get our goals from one or two blunders which their keeper is bound to make."
What could go wrong?

bornafulhamfan

I believe that if Warnock remains the coach of Cardiff for more than a half of season, they will have record lowest point tally. I think their only hope is to change the manager and buy some world class players in winter(which I can't see happening, and I would love to see them go down). We on the other hand have a good chance of midtable finish when the squad gels in.

mccscratch

If anyone can't see that we played lovely football Saturday.. then I feel sorry for you.

Yes, we lost and yes sometimes playing that way can be a little naive in the Premier League...especially against a Woy managed team but the fact is... We are going to be a good team right near the top 10... Stop hitting the panic button.

Teams that dominate possession against us are going to be very susceptible to our lighting fast counter attack and once we get healthy in the back it will be fine. There is nothing wrong with bossing against teams like Palace if we finish chances (which we will).

Fabri made a stupid GK error on the 2nd goal (and some decent stops to be fair) and we were not good on our crossing... I think Joka is going to be hammering cross placement in training all week. You can't have that many balls across the box go over the target forwards head or too close to the GK... I bet Christie is going to hit 150 balls at the 8-10 yard spot all week...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

kiwian

Was watching a premier league show and there was a clip of Colin doing his nuts at the 4th official, and when he turned back to the pitch the 4th official was thumbing towards him (behind his back) and with a huge grin on his face. Priceless
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?