more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (16/08/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 16, 2018, 07:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham's Tom Cairney embracing fight for starting spot

Tom Cairney is embracing competition at Fulham after the promoted side's busy Deadline Day which saw five players join.

The Cottagers took their total acquisitions over the summer to 12 in the final hours of the window with the arrival of Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Joe Bryan as well as a trio of loan signings, including Sergio Rico, Luciano Vietto and Timothy Fosu-Mensah.

Cairney was a key figure as Fulham earned promotion form the Sky Bet Championship via the play-offs last season, with the central midfielder scoring the only goal against Aston Villa in the final at Wembley.

"I was sat watching it just like everyone else, like 'another one'," Cairney said. "It was exciting. It's really good. Being a player you want to play with the best players and against good players as you can."

"You've got to give a lot of credit to the owners. They've backed us, showed a lot of ambition and they're right behind us. It's down to us now to repay them."

"You think, 'wow, it's even harder to stay in the team,' but if you want to stay in this league for a long time you need that competition for places, you need quality."

Aleksandar Mitrovic and Alfie Mawson were signed from Newcastle and Swansea respectively, while midfielders Jean Michael Seri and Anguissa both arrived from France's Ligue 1, all on deals around or above £20m.

Further high-profile players, such as world cup winger Andre Schurrle and Spanish goalkeeper Rico, arrived on loan deals.

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic used eight of the new players during his side's opening day defeat to Crystal Palace at Craven Cottage, with the likes of Mawson and Anguissa not yet available.

"On Saturday our back five had two or three days together before the first game of the season, which is obviously not ideal," Cairney added.

"I guess it's a fine balance between keeping the spirit from last season and adding the quality that we brought in."

"It's a tough job. That's why top managers are top managers and I'm sure our manager will be fine doing that."

Fulham return to Premier League action as they take on Tottenham at Wembley on Saturday.

Tom Cairney was speaking at an event at JD Oxford Street to promote Fulham's 2018/19 home and away kits.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11473109/fulhams-tom-cairney-embracing-fight-for-starting-spot

WhiteJC

Team against Spurs 18/08

Over on the forum we've been discussing which team we'd choose to play against Spurs at Wembley this weekend, here are a couple of team selections...

WhiteJC

Although Fabri wasn't as bad as some have made out, I think that we've loaned Rico to give both Betts and Fabri competition so I think he'll get the nod against Spurs.

Assuming Ream and Bryan are fit I think this will be our regular starting back four until Mawson is fully fit.

The midfield three picks itself.

Harsh on Schurrle as I don't think he did much wrong against Palace however, I'm going for AK rather than Schurrle as I like him, I think he's going to get better and better as the season progresses. Sess further upfield is a no-brainer as is Mitro.

Not sure about the subs but I would probably choose

Fabri, Le Marchand, Schurrle, Vietto, Fosu-Mensah, Johansen, Kebano

Milo

Notable inclusions:

GK: Bettinelli
With the season well underway, we are forced to make a decision on our keeper after seeing them play for just 1-2 games. I would like to see Rico in the flesh, but until then Bettinelli takes the number 1 spot. Fabri was brought in for better distribution which we have not seen yet, but more worryingly we have seen his poor decision making coming off his line to take crosses, defend free kicks, and in 1 on 1s. I was disappointed by Marcus's tweet, I think the more sensible approach would have been to let Fabri put the nails in his own coffin. 

LCB: Ream
Hopefully he will be fit. I had read a few reservations about him stepping up to the Premiership on the forum, but having seen the Celta Vigo game he was faultless and will bring a great deal of solidity to our back four.

LB: Le Marchand
This was based on Bryan being injured. The Le Marchand we saw do well against Palace is not the player we saw in pre-season. That suggests to me that he struggles when out of position (ie not at LCB where Ream will return). That said, we either play MLM or Sess at left back. I do not think our full backs will get chance to go forward as much against Spurs so I have gone for the out-and-out defender.

RW: Kamara
Controversial. You've got to get the Sessegnon balance right – haul him off after one quiet game and you may affect his confidence. He is a level-headed young player though and will not let his head drop. I would much rather he came on with 20 minutes to go and pop up in the right place at the right time as we all know he can. On to Kamara, he is a real handful. Not at all what we all thought we were buying last summer, instead of the nippy striker we have got a battering ram. In the final few games of last season he suddenly developed a great first touch, good close control and passing. I think he will be an important player this season.

have a look at the forum to read this and other discussions about FFC...
http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=66984.0

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=316

WhiteJC

Loan Deal For Norman

The Club can confirm that Magnus Norman has joined Rochdale on loan until January 1st.

The Dale – who Stephen Humphrys helped keep in League One last season – have won one and lost one so far this season.

Norman could make his debut in goal for the club away at Joey Barton's Fleetwood Town on Saturday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/15/loan-deal-for-magnus-norman

WhiteJC

Rochdale: Fulham goalkeeper Magnus Norman joins on loan until January

Magnus Norman made two appearances for Fulham under-21s in last season's Checkatrade Trophy

League One club Rochdale have agreed a loan deal until January for Fulham goalkeeper Magnus Norman.

The 21-year-old has yet to make a senior appearance for the Cottagers, but did feature twice for the under-21s in last season's Checkatrade Trophy.

"I want to be playing games in the EFL, so I'm pleased to get the opportunity to come here," Norman said.

Norman previously spent time on loan at Southport in the National League during the 2016-17 season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45194290

WhiteJC

The players that may leave Fulham on loan and permanently before the end of the month

Players could still leave Fulham right up until August 31 - we've taken a look at a few who could be on their way out of Craven Cottage

The transfer window may be shut for players coming into Fulham, but players can still leave with the window still open until August 31 across Europe.

The loan window is also open in England, with clubs in the EFL able to sign players on a temporary basis right up until 5pm on August 31 as they continue to strengthen their sides for the upcoming campaign.

Fulham had an ambitious transfer window, bringing in 12 new faces over the course of the summer as they look to stay in the Premier League after gaining promotion last campaign.

That included the likes of Jean-Michael Seri, Andre Schurrle and Aleksandar Mitrovic as the Cottagers become the first promoted club to spend over £100m since the transfer window started, but there will be movements in the opposite direction between now and the end of the month.

Magnus Norman has already joined Rochdale on loan, but other players will also leave the club, both on loan and temporary deals.

We've taken a look at those that could follow Norman out of Fulham this month.

Marcelo Djalo

The centre back will almost certainly leave Craven Cottage this month, with Extremadura in the Spanish second division the side that has been heavily linked with him.

It's not been a great year in west London for the centre back - he joined from Lugo under the Craig Kline era of Fulham's recruitment team and never found favour with Slavisa Jovanovic.

The 24-year-old made two appearances in the EFL Cup and two substitute appearances in the Championship, with his last coming in December against Birmingham City.

It was a strange signing to say the least and his departure will bring that particular era of Fulham transfers to a close.

Rui Fonte

The Portuguese striker arrived in a £7million deal last summer and took the number nine jersey, but struggled to make an impact at Fulham.

He scored his first goal for the club in the 2-0 win over Ipswich Town at the end of August but didn't net again until January, where he scored twice against Burton Albion in a 6-0 win.

Those were the only goals he scored in Fulham colours as he struggled to be that focal point for the side's attacks, with Fonte never really fitting into Jokanovic's overall style of play.

Rui Fonte in pre-season action (Image: Daniel Hambury/PA Wire)

He always looked better suited to a number 10 role, but with a front three and Tom Cairney in midfield, playing him in that position has never really been something Jokanovic has been able to do.

Fulham look like they're willing to listen to offers for him this summer, with Olympiacos in Greece linked with a move for Fonte.

Matt O'Riley

The 18-year-old hasn't been given a squad number in Fulham's Premier League squad this season and could be sent out on loan to gain some more experience.

He featured in pre-season and looked good, coping well against the likes of Reading in the middle of midfield, but at 18 playing in the top flight is probably too soon for him.

He's proved the quality he has with both the U23s and U18s already this season, scoring an absolutely brilliant strike for the U18 side a few weeks ago, but first team football would be a benefit to his development.

However, at still just 18, time is on O'Riley's side and the club may feel that U23 football will be better for him at this moment.

Matt O'Riley battles with George Evans during the pre-season friendly between Reading and Fulham (Image: Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)

Cauley Woodrow

The 23-year-old has really fallen down the pecking order at Fulham in recent years - going from playing in the Championship for the side to the U23s this year.

He spent last season out on loan at Bristol City but never really got going, scoring just twice in 15 appearances for the side during his season loan spell, with his last appearance coming in February.

He hasn't been included in Fulham's Premier League squad list and didn't feature with the first team at all in pre-season, instead training with the U23s alongside Tayo Edun, who has since moved on loan to Ipswich Town.

Another loan move looks the most likely option for Woodrow now with just a year left on his deal.

(Image: West London)

Luca de la Torre

The American international featured in pre-season and did well for Fulham, but featuring for the club in the Premier League is looking unlikely this season with the competition in his position.

A loan move was touted last season, with MLS side New England Revolution linked with de la Torre, although nothing ever came of that interest.

With de la Torre needing first team football to continue both his development and his international ambitions with the US, the club may well look to ship him out on loan this season, either to the Championship like Edun or to the States.

At 20 the player does still have time on his side, but after his performances in pre-season he'll feel he can be playing first team football at this stage.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/players-leave-fulham-loan-permanently-15031570

WhiteJC

Fulham wonderkid Ryan Sessegnon responds to Manchester United transfer links

Ryan Sessegnon is on Manchester United's radar (Picture: Getty)

Manchester United target Ryan Sessegnon has admitted that he's aware of interest from Champions League clubs.

The 18-year-old winger had a sensational breakthrough season for Fulham last term, scoring 15 goals in the Championship as the Cottagers secured promotion to the Premier League.

Sessegnon was named Championship Player of the Season, Young Player of the Season and Apprentice of the Year and his performances caught the attention of Europe's elite.

United and Tottenham have both been strongly linked with Sessegnon and Paris Saint-Germain are also understood to be monitoring the progress of the England Under-21 international.

Asked about his future, the teenager responded: 'You always see little bits and bobs when teams are linked with you, but I was always staying focused on playing for Fulham.

'That's my main focus – just getting my head down and playing for Fulham.

'Of course as a young player, when you get linked to these clubs playing Champions League football, it's always flattering.'

Sessegnon's current deal at Craven Cottage expires in the summer of 2020 but the youngster is not in talks over a new contract.

'I'm not aware of anything right now. I'm just playing and seeing how it goes,' he admitted.

'I'm just playing and seeing how it goes.'

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/15/fulham-wonderkid-ryan-sessegnon-responds-manchester-united-transfer-links-7842287/

WhiteJC

Loan Deal For Djalo

The Club can confirm that Marcelo Djalo has joined Extremadura on a loan deal until May 31.

Djalo arrived at Fulham from Club Deportivo Lugo last summer and played four times for the Whites, twice in the Carabao Cup and two substitute appearances in the Championship.

Extremadura will be playing their debut season in the Segunda Division in Spain, one league below La Liga, having just won promotion to this level for the first time, via the Play-Offs.

Everyone at the Club wishes Marcelo all the best for the coming season.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/15/loan-deal-for-djalo

WhiteJC

Just the Stats: Fulham 0, Crystal Palace 2
How did the numbers tell the story of Fulham's defeat last Saturday?

Photo by Justin Setterfield/Getty Images

In the first of many throughout this Fulham campaign, I hope to bring an analytical approach to explain what happened after every Premier League outing. Last Saturday's 2-0 defeat was disappointing, but it was not without a few moments of excitement. Let's go ahead and take a deep dive into the data to see if we can explain how the events unfolded.

Jean Michael Seri was really good
When you become the most expensive player in club history, pressure will surely be on you to deliver. Surely enough, the former Nice man delivered this past Saturday with a confidence that was required for a football club playing it's first game of top flight football in four years. After 90 minutes have passed, Seri went on to lead all Fulham players with 119 touches and was tied with Tom Cairney with 93 completed passes.

As we have learned from watching Fulham in the Championship, however, just because you dominate in possession and passing ability doesn't mean you can automatically break a defense down. That is where statistics such as xG Chain and xG Buildup come in.

According to Understat, xG Chain is the total amount of expected goals a player's team will score whenever he is involved in the run of play. Meanwhile, xG Buildup is almost like xG chain except it takes away key passes (also known as the pass before a shot towards goal) and shots. In short, the purpose of researching these data points is to find out who the best were at being involved when a player's team is in possession.

In Fulham's case, Seri was definitely the best on his team at both xG Chain and xG Buildup at 0.31 and 0.25, respectively. However, that total is quite small once you prorate it to a 90 minute performance of 0.34 xG Chain and 0.27 xG Buildup.

To put those numbers into perspective, let's compare Seri's performance against the per 90 minute averages among all Premier League players that played over 850 minutes in 2017/18. Unfortunately, Seri's xG Chain would have only put him in a tie with the likes of former Fulham transfer target Steve Mounie and Xherden Shaqiri for 124th. On a brighter note, Seri's xG Buildup has him up there with Jesse Lingard for 64th place.

If anything, these two statistical categories can draw to two conclusions. The first is that Seri's style of play is still quite effective without having to be involved too much in attack (only one chance created and no shots). Let's also not forget the yeoman's work he did in defense where he too led all Fulham players with six successful tackles and with four interceptions. Yeah, if that doesn't give you Man of the Match by the club website, I don't know what does?

But the second key point about the small xG stats coming from Seri is...

Was the attack really good enough on the day?
When you look at a stat sheet and see that Fulham outshot Crystal Palace 15-12, you expect the good guys to look like the better team throughout the 90 minutes, right? Welp, a 0.64-0.94 disadvantage in expected goals will tell you otherwise, according to Understat.

If anything, Fulham's defense of their own goal actually didn't turn out to be that bad considering the circumstances. On average, a typical Eagles shot towards goal was only had an expected 7.8% chance of going in. That ended up being tied with Brighton for the 13th lowest rate in the Premier League this past weekend. But there's always a downside to that bit of information.

That's because the owners to the least efficient attack just so happened to be Fulham with all their shots only expected to go in 4.3% of the time. That was barely worse Southampton's 0.77 expected goals output off of 18 shots performance in their 0-0 draw with Burnley. After all the weekend's action, the Premier League had a collective expected goals conversion rate of 10.8%, which is amazingly almost identical to the 10.9% conversion rate the league put up over the course of the 2017/18 season.

Individually, it was quite evident that Andre Schurrle looked like he was out of fuel before halftime while Aleksander Mitrovic seemed to be the lone man that was downright hungry to score. Mitro might have left Craven Cottage with seven shots and an xG count of 0.37, but only Aboubakar Kamara came close to putting up more than one shot and a total of 0.10 expected goals. Along with that, only substitutes Kamara and Luciano Vietto put up more than one key pass. Oh, and I don't think you needed stats to show you that Cyrus Christie's crossing was dreadful. But if you were curious, how does 1 completion out of 12 sound!?

So yeah, Fulham really need to sharpen up more than two fold in efficiency if they are to maintain their style of play and stay in England's top flight.

Speaking of efficiency at one end of the pitch...
Yeah, let's talk about that new backline. After some more deep diving, Fulham actually weren't too bad in defense. In fact, their pressing game was fantastic as they led all Premier League sides with 4.67 completed passes allowed per defensive action. However, if we really want to see how effective their pressing game was, we need to look no further than the supposed kings of this style of play: Liverpool (But really, it's Man City). In their 4-1 win over West Ham, Jurgen Klopp's side was second best on the weekend at 7.78 completed passes per defensive action against, but it also gave up just three passes completed within 20 yards from goal. That is in line with their second best rate in the Premier League where they only gave up 148 of such passes in 38 games last season.

As for Fulham, they went on to give up eight passes completed in the final 20 yards. If we were to magnify that to a per 38 game total, that would give the Cottagers 304 such passes, which would put them down their with the likes of Burnley, West Ham and now-Championship side Swansea City. Yes, we're balooning one bad day in the office to an entire season, but all three of those clubs I just brought up were not trying to play a possession based brand at all in 2017/18. Clearly, this is not a good sign for Slavisa Jokanovic's side.

While Crystal Palace were actually more inefficient in long ball passes (24 completed off of 55 attempted) than Fulham were (40 completed out of 70), they were able to use their collective aerial prowess to control the game. While Wilfried Zaha will get all the accolades for his dominating performance at Craven Cottage, Christian Benteke was brilliant. In the end, the Palace target man went ahead and won eight aerial duels and linked up really well with his teammates as a result with two key passes and leading his club with a 0.83 xG Chain and 0.45 xG Buildup. Even goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey was strong with his distribution with a 0.36 xG Chain.

So on the whole, this was an interesting game to observe, statistically. I'm nowhere near ready to hit the panic button just yet for a side that was introducing so many players and had a few more already starting the season hurt. Let's just hope that a few key areas begin to improve and that will end up leading to Fulham getting their first goal, let alone their first win in the Premier League in four years.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/8/15/17683002/just-the-stats-fulham-0-crystal-palace-2

WhiteJC

Lamela in contention to play v Fulham

Mauricio Pochettino has received a double injury boost with the news that both Harry Winks and Erik Lamela have returned to full training, according to the Evening Standard.

They claim that Lamela is in contention to face Fulham in Tottenham's next Premier League game on Saturday.

Lamela made his return from long-term injury in November last year before playing through the rest of the season.

However, another injury has kept him out of the side so far this season.

OPINION

Pochettino needs all the attacking options he can get at the moment, and Lamela's return will be very welcome as Spurs will be missing Heung-Min Son, who has left to play in the Asian Games. On top of that, there's a question mark over the fitness of Harry Kane, who continued his poor form in August with a blank against Newcastle. Tottenham might have been the better side in their 2-1 win at St James' Park but they didn't look great and Rafa Benitez's side might be one of the weakest they come up against this season. Fulham are struggling though as well after their promotion, losing their first game 2-0 at home to Crystal Palace. Spurs can be thankful for the relatively easy start as they slowly get all their stars back to full fitness. This could be a make or break season for Harry Winks too. He's promised a lot but didn't deliver last season in a campaign that was ravaged by injury.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/08/blogs/lamela-in-contention-to-play-v-fulham/

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

It was a night of Cup disappointment for Fulham's loan players as Tayo Edun, Stephen Humphrys and Elijah Adebayo were all knocked out of the Carabao Cup for their respective teams on Tuesday evening.

Humphrys came on as a 60th minute substitute and scored a stoppage time goal but the damage was already done as Doncaster Rovers beat Scunthorpe 2-1 at Glanford Park.

Doncaster had a penalty saved in the 87th minute to keep the score at 2-0 before Humphrys curled one in from long-range in the second minute of added time.

Edun earned his first start for the Tractor Boys and completed 90 minutes as they went out 4-3 on penalties away at Exeter having finished 1-1 after regular time.

Kayden Jackson gave Ipswich the lead eight minutes before the break when Edun went on a surging run to release him, but Troy Brown levelled things with a header midway through the second-half.

The Blues went in search of a winner but Edun's viscous shot was saved before the game went to penalties, and Exeter progressed after Chelsea loanee Trevor Chalobah blasted wide allowing Lee Martin to score the winning penalty. 

Adebayo also started as Swindon Town went down 1-0 to Forest Green Rovers despite dominating the game. The Robins had nine shots on target compared to the Rovers' one shot on target but Tahvon Campbell's effort was enough to send his side through to the second-round.

It took just two minutes for Swindon's first chance after Adebayo squared the ball to Michael Doughty but his shot flashed just wide.

The Fulham striker got off two chances of his own, one rolling just wide of the post and another which forced a save from James Montgomery.

Despite not making the matchday squad, Marek Rodak could play in the next round after Rotherham beat Wigan 3-1, and Magnus Norman has since joined Rochdale after they defeated Grimsby Town 2-0.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/15/loan-round-up

WhiteJC

Fulham duo leave on loan

Fulham have begun trimming their squad, allowing Magnus Norman and Marcelo Djalo to leave on loan.

Goalkeeper Norman has joined League One Rochdale on loan until January.

The 21-year-old has yet to make a senior appearance for the club and joins fellow keeper Marek Rodak, who is at Rotherham, in temporarily leaving the club.

Djalo has joined Spanish club Extremadura on loan until the end of the season.

The defender joined the Cottagers last summer but made only four appearances last season as Slavisa Jokanovic's men won promotion to the Premier League.

He will spend the campaign on loan at the Segunda Division side.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-duo-leave-on-loan

WhiteJC

Games for the Weekend 18/08
Another trip to Wembley, this time its Spurs in the Premier League!

After a disappointing opening game against Palace this weekends game 'on paper' will be a far sterner test against a 'top six' side in Spurs.

The whole team needs a little time to gel but I don't think that will take too long. There were lots of positives from the Palace game, Seri looks as good as his reputation suggested, Bryan looked comfortable and hopefully will prove to be a more than adequate replacement for Mattie Targett. Cyrus Christie showed why he was brought in as Freds replacement, if he can get some accuracy into his crosses then he'll soon become a 'fans favourite'. Mitro' was Mitro', and on another day would have scored a couple.

Games of interest

Saturday 18/08
Cardiff v Newcastle
Everton v Southampton
Leicester v Wolves
Spurs v Fulham

Sunday 19/08
Burnley v Watford
Man City v Huddersfield
Brighton v Man Utd

Monday 20/08
Palace v Liverpool

COYWs

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=311

WhiteJC

Fulham begin squad cutting exercise after splashing out over £100m in summer transfer window by loaning out Magnus Norman and Marcelo Djalo

Fulham duo Magnus Norman and Marcelo Djalo have both left on loan deals
    Fourth-choice goalkeeper Norman has signed for Rochdale until January
    Fringe player Djalo will spend the season with Spanish club Extremadura

Fulham have began trimming their squad after allowing Magnus Norman and Marcelo Djalo to leave on loan.

Goalkeeper Norman, who is behind, Sergio Rico and Marcus Bettinelli in the Craven Cottage pecking order, has joined League One Rochdale on loan until January.

The 21-year-old has yet to make a senior appearance for the club and joins fellow keeper Marek Rodak, who is at Rotherham, in temporarily leaving the club.

Magnus Norman is now fourth choice at Fulham following Sergio Rico and Fabri's arrivals

Djalo has joined Spanish club Extremadura on loan until the end of the season.

The defender joined the Cottagers last summer but made only four appearances last season as Slavisa Jokanovic's men won promotion to the Premier League.

He will spend the campaign on loan at the Segunda Division club.

Jokanovic brought in 12 players over the summer transfer window as the club spent over £100million following their promotion.

The season began with a 2-0 home defeat to Crystal Palace last Saturday.

Marcelo Djalo has hardly featured for the Cottagers since joining the club last summer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6063235/Fulham-begin-squad-cutting-exercise-splashing-100m-summer-transfer-window.html

WhiteJC

Tottenham Hotspur v Fulham: The Players In The Key Clashes This Weekend

A game that exhibits a marked contrast between sides that experienced completely antithetical transfer windows as Fulham take the short trip north to to take on Tottenham Hotspur this weekend.

The promotion from the Championship lead Fulham on a flurried frenzy in virtually being now able to field an entirely new team, with big money signings being the reward for their return to the Premiership after four years. Only Chelsea and Liverpool spent more this summer.

Spurs on-the-other-hand purchased absolute zilch, the first time a club has not brought anyone new to the team in a summer in the history of the Premier League.

Both teams, who go up against each other in the second game of the new season at Wembley, are prone to producing fluid, attack-minded football, often to their detriment and the meeting is sure to be a scintillating encounter.

Though Crystal Palace brought the Cottagers firmly back down to terra firma on opening weekend, they are operating with swag under manager Slaviša Jokanović and his counterpart Mauricio Pochettino should approach the fixture will caution.

Furthermore Spurs won just once last season- in the North London Derby- when referee Anthony Taylor mediated their three matches, and with Taylor taking charge of the game on Saturday, the Lilywhites may be feeling slightly on edge.

The Sportsman picks out the three key battles to watch out for come 3pm Saturday.

Christian Eriksen v Jean Michaël Seri
Last weekend, Jokanović fielded six of Fulham's brand-spanking new acquisitions, and while the selections didn't obviously bear fruit, one player who is likely to keep his place is the Frenchman Jean Michaël Seri, who was arguably the most impressive player in white on Saturday.

Incredibly, just a year ago, Seri was on the verge of moving from Ligue 1 side Nice to FC Barcelona. It's therefore considered quite a coup that the Cottagers acquired the defensive midfielder this summer.

If Seri thought Crystal Palace was a baptism of fire to the Premier League, then his next task- to shackle the splendiferous Christian Eriksen- should be considered him christened with lava. Eriksen continuously sizzles for Spurs as one of the most underrated players in the division.

In the two matches he's featured against Fulham, he's helped orchestrate a 3-0 and a 3-1 win.

Whilst Seri might not be able to do much about containing the threat posed by the Dane's superb set-pieces, Seri will need to be cautious that he's not too rambunctious to concede free-kicks in deadly areas.

Ryan Sessegnon v Kieran Trippier
Serge Aurier took Trippier's place at right-back in their opening victory over Newcastle, with the English hero deemed "not ready to play' by Pochettino.

Wunderkind Sessegnon is gagging to make an impact in the top tier of the English league and is likely to give Trippier a torrid time on his first match back after an eventful summer.

Trippier will need to adjust back to life in the Premier League quickly, going up against one of the hottest prospects in English football marauding down the left.

Aleksandar Mitrović  v Jan Vertonghen
Everyone knows Harry Kane doesn't do August. The Englishman has failed to score in the opening month since breaking into the Spurs side four seasons ago, and no-one wants to change this stat more than Tottenham's talisman.

Instead we're concentrating on the key battle between Fulham's main-man Mitrović going up against against Spur's man-mountain Jan Vertonghen.

Vertonghen was the unlikely hero last week opening the scoring over Newcastle. In the likely absence of his defensive partner and compatriot Toby Alderweireld for the foreseeable future, the weight is heavier on the Belgian's shoulders; particularly with the precariousness of Dávinson Sánchez beside him.

Vivacious forward Mitrović turned his stay at Craven Cottage into a permanent one in the off-season following his twelve goal mission that helped send Fulham soaring and while he didn't christen his return to the Premier League with a goal last week, Spurs fans will have vivid memories of the last two times the 23 year-old went up against them.

A December 2-1 win at White Hart Lane for Mitro's former team Newcastle was gifted in part from the Serb's goal cancelling out Eric Dier's opener. To exacerbate matters, Tottenham suffered a humiliating 5-1 loss to the Toon again- who had then already been relegated- on the final day of the 2015/16 season. Mitrović imposed himself on the match for all the right and wrong reasons; scoring a powerful header before earning himself a straight red. The result allowed Arsenal to pip them to second and allow the Gunners to celebrate St Totteringham's Day once again.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/tottenham-hotspur-v-fulham-the-players-in-the-key-clashes-this-weekend

WhiteJC

How to set Fulham up & stopping Kane - the key decisions for Slavisa Jokanovic against Tottenham

Fulham news includes a look at the big decisions facing Slavisa Jokanovic ahead of Fulham's trip to take on Tottenham Hotspur

Fulham are on their way to Wembley Stadium once more when they take on Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.

Having started the campaign with a 2-0 defeat to Crystal Palace at home, this represents the first test against a top four Premier League Slavisa Jokanovic's men have had since they were beaten 3-0 by Spurs in the FA Cup two seasons ago.

The game at Wembley will show just how far Fulham have come since that fifth round defeat two seasons ago, while it will also show how a side that likes to dominate the ball will play and set up against a team that will also look to do that.

It may just be the second game of the season, but it will be another sharp learning curve for Fulham as they look to get to grips with the Premier League.

Jokanovic has some big decisions to make before the game, we've taken a look at some of them here.

How to set up against Tottenham

This is the biggest challenge facing Jokanovic ahead of the return to Wembley - just how does he set his side up to play against Spurs?

He's spoken in the past of not changing the style of play that has seen the side do so well in the past two years, which is to dominate the ball, use the forward as a focal point, whip crosses in and be aggressive.

But will that work against a side like Tottenham?

Fulham won't see as much of the ball as they normally do on Saturday, while space left in behind by their full backs' attacks will almost certainly be exploited by the likes of Dele Alli and Christian Eriksen.

Does Jokanovic relinquish that dominance of the ball and ensure his players work hard off it and are compact in defence, hitting Spurs on the break or will he want them continue holding onto the ball, but getting men behind when they lose it?

It's the biggest question going into the tie and it will be interesting to see how Jokanovic combats it.

Joe Bryan's injury problem

If Bryan isn't fit to start on Saturday, Jokanovic has a selection headache once more with his back line.

The new signing started at left back after just one day's worth of training but limped off after 70 minutes with an ankle injury - the severity of which something the head coach wasn't sure of after the game.

If he isn't fit, who plays left back becomes a massive problem once more.

Maxime Le Marchand can fit in there, but with Tim Ream and Alfie Mawson also suffering with injury and Denis Odoi suspended, that then raises the question of who plays at centre back alongside Calum Chambers.

If Bryan isn't fit to play, Fulham have serious problems at the back.

How best to use Tom Cairney

The skipper has arguably been Fulham's best player for the past couple of years and has always looked a this best when the side are in possession of the football.

However, Saturday's trip to Tottenham raises the questions of how Jokanovic can use Cairney, with his defensive attributes not the strongest.

(Image: Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Kevin McDonald and Jean-Michael Seri will see a lot more defensive action than they did against Crystal Palace as they look to break up Spurs' attacks and protect the back four, but it's where Cairney will best fit in which will be something Jokanovic is thinking about.

They can't afford passengers in this game and Cairney will be required to muck in with more defensive work that he's used to.

As a result, we may see him stay further forward than we usually do, allowing Seri and McDonald to win the ball back and use him as an outlet to get it to quickly, allowing him then to use his passing abilities to find Aleksandar Mitrovic or the onrushing wingers to hit Spurs on the break.

The best time to field Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa

Fulham managed to sign Europa League finalist Anguissa from Marseille on deadline day, but he missed the Palace defeat as a result of his late arrival to the side.

We probably won't see him at Wembley either, but a decision facing Jokanovic is when the best time to bring him into the fold will be.

Marseille's midfielder Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa (Image: PASCAL GUYOT/AFP/Getty Images)

McDonald has been an ever-present since signing two seasons ago, and while the head coach has said there can be no room for sentiment in the side, the Scotsman has started the season well.

But there's no way that Anguissa won't be part of the first team when he's ready, and while his ability in the anchor role would've been perfect against a side like Spurs, it's unlikely Jokanovic will call on him just yet.

That said, his arrival will provide more quality to a Fulham side that is looking for Premier League survival.

Stopping the likes of Harry Kane, Alli and Eriksen

This is probably the biggest challenge facing Jokanovic - stopping Tottenham's world class players.

Kane has never scored in August in the Premier League, but he did bag a hat-trick against Fulham the last time the two played, while Alli got a goal against Newcastle United last week.

Add in Eriksen creating the most chances on the first match week and you've got problems.

If Jokanovic can conjure up a plan to stop those players Fulham may well be in with a chance of leaving Wembley with a second victory in the space of three months - but it will be one of the toughest tasks the head coach faces this season.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/how-set-fulham-up--15033292

WhiteJC

Report: Erik Lamela in contention for Tottenham return against Fulham

Tottenham will reportedly have Erik Lamela back for selection against Fulham on Saturday.

Tottenham winger Erik Lamela is reportedly in line for a return to action against Fulham at the weekend, but the game may come too soon for teammate Harry Winks.

According to the Evening Standard, the Spurs duo both returned to full training this week following their absences through injury, with both missing the opening day win away to Newcastle United.

However, the report now details that 26-year-old Lamela could give Mauricio Pochettino an injury boost by being fit for selection and the team are short in attacking areas following Heung-Min Son's departure to play in the Asian Games.

Meanwhile, Winks is being eased back after having an operation on his ankle and will reportedly miss out on the Fulham clash.

Lamela has been sidelined with a muscle injury and will be desperate to force his way into the starting XI.

The Argentinian trickster has been unfortunate with injuries in recent times and will hope he can have better fortune this season.

Winks, 22, proved last season that he can make a positive impact in the first team and the central midfielder will want to rediscover the form that saw him earn a senior call-up for England.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/08/15/dt-report-erik-lamela-in-contention-for-tottenham-return-against/

WhiteJC

Spurs v Fulham - travel information

Information for fans travelling to our Premier League match against Fulham at Wembley Stadium, connected by EE, on Saturday.

A reminder that we kick-off at 3pm.

Network Rail - engineering works
As we reported in June, Network Rail have extensive engineering works that will affect supporters travelling on the West Coast Main Line in and out of London Euston station.

The closure will be in operation throughout the weekends of 18/19 August, 24/25 August and 1/2 September. Over these weekends, there will be no Virgin Trains or West Midlands Trains running between London Euston and Milton Keynes Central and no London Overground services between London Euston and Watford Junction. London Underground Bakerloo line services will terminate at Queen's Park. A rail replacement bus service will be in operation between Milton Keynes Central and Stanmore station, linking to London Underground Jubilee Line services.

This means there will be no Bakerloo or London Overground services calling at Wembley Central station on Saturday. Please use alternative London Underground services at Wembley Park or Chiltern Rail services from Wembley Stadium station.

Ticket latest

A reminder that Stadium Access Cards from the 2017/18 Season will NOT work for this fixture.

Tickets for Saturday's match are on general sale.

Prices start from £40 for Adults and £16 for Concessions.

Full travel information - Spurs v Fulham

Wembley Stadium is a public transport destination.

We would recommend all supporters attending the match visit Wembley's 'Getting Here' page to get more information about travelling to the stadium, or download the Stadium Mobile App which provides a dedicated journey planner and live travel information.

More information about the various transport hubs can be found below...

As a public transport destination, the stadium is served by several major transport connections. It is an easy 10-minute walk from Wembley Park station, 12 minutes from Wembley Central station and very close to Wembley Stadium station.

All stations have direct services from Central London and connections beyond.

Wembley Park station
Wembley Park underground station is served by both the Metropolitan and Jubilee Lines. On arrival at Wembley Park, stairs from the ticketing hall will guide you down onto Olympic Way from where the stadium will be clearly visible. A 10-minute walk will bring you to the front of the stadium.

Wembley Central station
This station has both Underground and Overground services. It is served by the Bakerloo Underground line, London Overground and national rail services, and connects to stations including Euston, Watford Junction and Willesden Junction.

Unfortunately, due to engineering works, there will be no Bakerloo or London Overground services calling at Wembley Central station for Saturday's game against Fulham.

Wembley Stadium station
Wembley Stadium station is on the Chiltern train line. This line services the Midlands, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire. London trains on this line depart from Marylebone station. On arrival at the station, the stadium will be clearly visible. Lifts or stairs will take you from the platforms up onto street level.

London Underground information - Spurs v Fulham

Wembley Park
Enhanced matchday Metropolitan Line services. Normal Jubilee Line services.

Wembley Central
Due to engineering works, there will be no Bakerloo or London Overground services calling at Wembley Central station for Saturday's game against Fulham.

Rail information - Spurs v Fulham

Greater Anglia have advised us of the following services operating in connection with Saturday's match at Wembley:

- Hertford East, Cambridge and Stansted Airport services will operate as the normal timetable
- Bishop's Stortford to Stratford services will operate as the normal timetable
- Southend Victoria services will operate as the normal timetable
- Braintree, Clacton-on-Sea and Colchester services will operate as the normal timetable
- Ipswich and Norwich services will operate as the normal timetable

Please check Greater Anglia's website or Twitter account @greateranglia for more timetable details and service updates.

Arriving by car

We strongly advise against driving to Wembley as there will be no parking available at the stadium or in the surrounding streets.

The limited parking spaces at the stadium are reserved for coaches, disabled visitors and event owners and are all pre-booked.

Brent Council operates a Wembley Stadium Event Day Protective Parking Scheme in all roads within an approximate 1.5 mile radius of the stadium. Operational on major event days only, the scheme is designed to minimise disruption and protect local residents and businesses from illegal parking from visitors to the stadium.

This means any visitors driving to events at Wembley Stadium will NOT be able to park in the surrounding streets. Brent Council has made it clear that illegally parked vehicles will be issued with large parking fines and will also be towed away.

In addition, Metropolitan Police may have security measures on approach roads on major event days which may also hinder a journey by car.

Car parking

If you are arriving by car, the car park lay-out at Wembley is HERE. If you're accessing the Yellow Car Park via the A406 North you should do so via Great Central Way or Drury Way. Vehicles accessing Red Car Park should do so via Neasden Lane.

The Popin Forecourt area will be used for spectator pick-ups/drop-offs for this fixture, the postcode is HA9 0HF.

Park & Ride

For information and availability on Park & Ride/tube/train opportunities please refer to the stadium's 'Getting Here' page HERE.

Bus

Local buses to the Stadium include 18, 83, 92 and 224.

Please note that London buses no longer accept cash, therefore any supporters travelling by bus will need to pay for the fare using an Oyster card or contact less payment card. A single adult fare is £1.45.

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2018/august/spurs-v-fulham-travel-information/

WhiteJC

Fulham's £30m record signing Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa trains with new team-mates for the first time as he eyes debut at Tottenham

Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa missed Fulham's opening Premier League defeat
    The Cameroon international took part in his first training session on Wednesday
    The 22-year-old signed a five-year deal on final day of transfer window last week
    He could be involved at Tottenham on Saturday along with other new signings

Fulham's £30million record signing Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa trained with new team-mates for the first time on Wednesday.

The 22-year-old signed a five-year deal for an undisclosed fee, understood to be around £30m, on the final day of the transfer window last week.

Anguissa's arrival brought an end to a very busy day at Craven Cottage which saw no fewer than five players bolster the ranks.

Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa trained with Fulham team-mates for the first time on Wednesday

Anguissa signed five-year deal for undisclosed fee, understood to be around £30m last week

Anguissa (right) challenges Ibrahima Cisse for the ball during training session on Wednesday

The Cameroon international took part in his first training session on Wednesday after missing Fulham's opening Premier League defeat by Crystal Palace last Saturday.

Anguissa could be involved against Tottenham on Saturday afternoon along with the club's other new signings.

Sergio Rico, Luciano Vietto and Timothy Fosu-Mensah all signed on loan while Joe Bryan joined on a permanent basis on August 9.

Cameroon international missed Fulham's opening Premier League defeat by Crystal Palace

He could be involved against Tottenham on Saturday afternoon along with other new signings

Anguissa is a central midfielder, who spent three years in the south of France at Marseille

Fulham signed 10 players throughout the window including Aleksandar Mitrovic, Jean Michael Seri and Alfie Mawson.

Anguissa is a central midfielder, who spent three years in the south of France without finding the back of the net.

He starred in Marseille's run to the Europa League final last season but was unable to prevent defeat by Atletico Madrid.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6063861/Fulhams-Andre-Frank-Zambo-Anguissa-trains-new-team-mates-time.html

WhiteJC

85% pass accuracy: This 27-year-old will prove to be a great asset for Fulham this season

Why Andre Schurrle will prove to be a huge asset for Fulham this season

Fulham were unfortunate to not come away with a point against Crystal Palace last weekend as the Eagles ultimately triumphed 2-0. But Slavisa Jokanovic's men looked entertaining and electric going forward. If not for a couple of match-winning saves from Wayne Hennessey, the Cottagers would have definitely found the back of the net.

Slavisa Jokanovic has brought in some high-profile signings to bolster his squad this summer. Attackers like Aleksandar Mitrovic and Andre Schurrle joined the club in the off-season. The latter looked lively in the clash against Crystal Palace and he even came close to find the back of the net on a couple of occasions but narrowly missed the margin.

Fulham signed the former Borussia Dortmund star on a two-year loan deal which should effectively keep him at the Craven Cottage till 2020 (h/t Standard Sport). The German is an explosive attacker who is known for his finishing in front of the goal. Schurrle looked electric deployed on the left-wing against the Eagles.

He was constantly on the move, always keeping Patrick Van Aanholt on his toes. Not only did the Dutchman have a tough time tracking him, but Schurrle's presence also ensured the former Sunderland defender had to choose when to surge forward. Even the slightest mistake would have provided Schurrle with a lot of freedom. Suffice to say, the attacker is brilliant at positional play and always times his runs to perfection.

The former Chelsea star was a regular amongst the goals during his time at Stamford Bridge. He scored a total of 11 goals and provided 2 assists in 44 Premier League appearances for the Blues. The German is a clinical finisher and is a pest-like presence in the box.

On a good day, Schurrle can be a nightmarish prospect for the opposition defenders. The 27-year-old is also an accurate passer of the ball, averaging an 85% pass success rate in the game against Crystal Palace. Going forward, Schurrle's supply will be absolutely vital for the Cottagers in the final third.

The German's ability to play in multiple positions and systems makes him an enticing prospect. Schurrle was deployed as a left-winger in the game against Palace, but he is also capable of playing through the centre and on the right flank. Schurrle also often played as a striker during his time at Chelsea. He definitely possesses the experience and the cutting-edge to flourish at Fulham.

With previous experience in England and his abilities put together, Schurrle will prove to be a huge asset for the club this season. There's every chance the German will get on the scoreline when Fulham travel to take on Tottenham Hotspur this weekend.

http://www.mediareferee.com/2018/08/15/85-pass-accuracy-this-27-year-old-will-prove-to-be-a-great-asset-for-fulham-this-season/

WhiteJC

10 Things You Might Not Know About Magnus Norman

Get to know our newest recruit, loan signing Magnus Norman...

1 | Magnus is 6ft 3

2 | Born in London, the local lad, has been at Fulham since the age of 9

3 | He has represented the Craven Cottage club at every Academy age group

4 | Magnus is the longest serving professional on the books at the Whites

5 | He has been capped by England at under-18 level

7 | The 21-year-old has had three previous loan spells away from the club – Farnborough, Hayes & Yeading and Southport

8 | His brother Felix, who also came through the Fulham Academy, is a goalkeeper at Exeter City

9 | Magnus will wear squad number 24 during his time at Dale

10 | By his own admission, he has had grey hair since the age of 12

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2018/august/10-things_norman/