News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Players need time to gel.... Exactly why they should have been bought in early.

Started by David I, August 18, 2018, 05:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: BedsFFC on August 20, 2018, 07:41:18 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 20, 2018, 12:39:10 AM
Quote from: BedsFFC on August 20, 2018, 12:13:03 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 19, 2018, 11:42:23 PM
Quote from: Twig on August 19, 2018, 08:54:17 AM
Quote from: BedsFFC on August 18, 2018, 05:45:40 PM
Quote from: David I on August 18, 2018, 05:03:48 PM

And who was it said pre season doesn't matter.
R

Nobody ever

That is totally incorrect.  This was debated at length during the summer, I was strongly of the view that the lack of a meaningful pre-season would cost us points and was told by several posters that pre-season games are; meaningless and of no consequence.

Yes I remember those ill judged, naive and inexperienced remarks made by posters who have no understanding of the concept of Preparation, Organisation and Conditioning, as well as the importance of moulding players into a familiarised unit.
One of the best ways to accelerate that in practice is the emphasis on familiarity and the importance and awareness of valueing your team mates, and the principle of one for all and all for one.
This does not happen overnight, and it relies on the cooperation of all those involved.
You cannot just press a button, we are dealing with human beings.
If a team of individual players can master those core principles, to form a heart beat and a team spirit, into a fighting unit, then that in itself can be as good as a goal start.

Would you mind finding me one poster who stated that having a period of training prior to our first league game was a waste of time?

As flowery as your explanation was, you really didn't need to explain the benefits of pre-season?  Every club in every league in every country has done it forever. Even pub teams have a kickabout a couple of weeks before the first match. Even bloody qpr do a bit of fitness work

I have neither a reason or a desire to adhere to your request to find you one poster, you want it you find it.

Sorry, just assumed you had lot's of time on your hands

Very amusing, but no cigar, your assumption is incorrect.
I have a full time job, despite my age, fortunately for me I can multitask.
Another reason that I do not have time on my hands, is that I wear my watch on my wrist.
In fact I wear two watches, do not ask why, that's another story, and I haven't the time to explain. But you could say I am on double time.  ⏱⏰🕰
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Riverside

I am just glad the window is not still open and everyone that was in before the 1st match of the season .

Imagine if the 5 that came in on the last day were still not in ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holders

Quote from: Riverside on August 20, 2018, 11:54:31 AM
I am just glad the window is not still open and everyone that was in before the 1st match of the season .

Precisely, that would be a likely consequence. This year closing the window early suited us.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Riverside on August 20, 2018, 11:54:31 AM

That would be worrying, but they are in, and Jok has some very precious tools in the box now, and when we eventually overcome all obstacles, we could be a formidable outfit.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Lighthouse

It is all very frustrating listening to the argument that we should have signed everybody early and had them fully trained and a first 11 ready to play well in time for the first game. But then really we should have had less loans last year and not needed a play off final and be promoted by last Christmas so we could plan ahead of time.

Reality is transfers, especially very ambitious transfers take time. Reality is pre season IS JUST A FITNESS EXERCISE. Yes players can go through routines but playing in a friendly is nothing like playing in the Prem. Players will need time but we could have not bothered with any new players and just replaced the many loans with players who knew our system. Result would have been worse but hey the players would have all known each other.

A bit of common sense and realism is needed. This is a good side but still will need time and will do well to survive in this league. If we do then next season will also be tough. It is the toughest league in the World. But saying we should have had everything sorted out early is simply unrealistic.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Statto

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 20, 2018, 12:20:44 PM
But saying we should have had everything sorted out early is simply unrealistic.

But it's not unrealistic to say we should have had 4 of our signings in by June and another 4 in July.

So for example Seri, MLM, Fabri and Schurrle here before the start of pre-season, getting all 6 friendlies with the existing lads. Then Bryan, Mitro and Chambers and one other ready for the second half of pre-season, getting 2-3 friendly games.

That wouldn't be unrealistic at all because that's what other teams have done. 

alfie

Quote from: Statto on August 20, 2018, 12:51:27 PM
But saying we should have had everything sorted out early is simply unrealistic.

But it's not unrealistic to say we should have had 4 of our signings in by June and another 4 in July.

So for example Seri, MLM, Fabri and Schurrle here before the start of pre-season, getting all 6 friendlies with the existing lads. Then Bryan, Mitro and Chambers and one other ready for the second half of pre-season, getting 2-3 friendly games.

Mr Statto I do not wish to be rude but I suggest you offer yourself to be available when the next transfer window is open, it seems you will be able to do it with ease, having worked at Fulham for a good few years I have seen first hand how difficult and protracted negotiations can take, and still not get the players you want. I can assure you and others that it is far from always being Fulham's fault.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

MJG

Quote from: alfie on August 20, 2018, 01:50:25 PM

Mr Statto I do not wish to be rude but I suggest you offer yourself to be available when the next transfer window is open, it seems you will be able to do it with ease, having worked at Fulham for a good few years I have seen first hand how difficult and protracted negotiations can take, and still not get the players you want. I can assure you and others that it is far from always being Fulham's fault.
I think we all have our pet 'hates' or 'issues' we commnent on a lot. And this one is a subject that Statto will never let go of and until his dying day will always say Fulham should do their deals early and no excuse that they didnt. Even though over all the years of Chairman, CEO's, managers etc, we always left it late.

In fact the target was always about 8 players to come in, but a change of requiremnt and the availablity(or not) of a couple of players changed things over last few days.
Just the views of a long term fan

KJS

[/quot

If the targeted players weren't available until we managed to agree a deal then what else can any club do?? I suppose that you would have rather we brought in players clubs couldn't wait to get rid off instead of players the selling club actually rated and wanted to keep?

Statto

Donald Trump would love the approach some take to facts on this forum.

MJG, I apologise for pointing out the data above showing that our transfer activity was late compared to other clubs'. I won't mention it again. Let's all pretend it's just me banging on about a "pet hate" and not true. Sssssshhhh...

FFCAli

It's true we had a lot of late signings and also true that everyone would have preferred to have had them signed up sooner but I for one believe that we got better quality players by not rushing things.  Clearly it takes time for the team to get to know each other and their play but we've only had 2 matches.  Give them a bit more time.
049:gif

SuffolkWhite

I know it's basic this comment, but we are where we are. Late signings or not I like the players we have signed and I think all posters are content with the players signed. In a ideal world we would have them in early but as I say we are where we are. COYW
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

toshes mate

Tardiness in some signings can be avoided; in others it cannot be.  The problem with this thread is nobody commenting actually knows which is which except anecdotally and that depends on who said what to whom.  I have scant confidence in our recruitment team to perform because history is against them and they do not seem to change one little bit.  I also believe statistics show we have been more tardy under the Khans than we were before, but we all know how misleading statistics can be.   

hovewhite

People expect to much.Selling clubs sell players to suit them not suit the buying club,that's business!

Roberty

Quote from: Statto on August 20, 2018, 03:40:52 PM

MJG, I apologise for pointing out the data above showing that our transfer activity was late compared to other clubs'. I won't mention it again. Let's all pretend it's just me banging on about a "pet hate" and not true. Sssssshhhh...

Maybe it would be more accurate to say SOME other clubs - because it certainly wasn't the case for all or probably even most of them
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Statto

Quote from: Roberty on August 20, 2018, 05:49:27 PM
Quote from: Statto on August 20, 2018, 03:40:52 PM

Maybe it would be more accurate to say SOME other clubs - because it certainly wasn't the case for all or probably even most of them

Not all, no, but most
MOST clubs started signing new players in June
MOST clubs made MOST of their signings in June and July, rather than August
MOST clubs didn't sign more than a couple of players in August

Are we absolutely the worst for lateness? No, that award probably goes to Everton in fairness. Palace, Burnley and Newcastle also did a high proportion of their business late on. But we were worse than most, and worse than average so for me, going back to the OP, there's a legitimate criticism there.

As I said, I accept it has to be balanced against the quality of signings, which was good. Anyway I think this debate has been milked now.

alfie

And yet you still insist on putting the blame on FFC without knowing a single fact, facts about what happened in past windows are not relevant simply because they are past.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Statto

Quote from: alfie on August 20, 2018, 07:12:39 PM
And yet you still insist on putting the blame on FFC without knowing a single fact, facts about what happened in past windows are not relevant simply because they are past.

Think you need to be clearer when you post about who you're talking to mate
Maybe start the post with 'Dear Roberty...' or something
I'm sure you're not talking to me because everything I've said on this thread has been factual, so you literally couldn't be more wrong
Whichever of the other posters it is that you're talking to, I'll leave it to them to reply to you directly

keithh

Yes, I wish we had got everybody on board earlier; but we didn't. Just happy with the players we have and the games so far have shown glimpses of who we will become. I have no trepidation in thinking top half this year, then onward & upward with a more "settled" team. These are truly exciting times and to think last year I was praying for a top half finish. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd be where we are today.

alfie

Quote from: Statto on August 20, 2018, 07:23:49 PM
Quote from: alfie on August 20, 2018, 07:12:39 PM

Think you need to be clearer when you post about who you're talking to mate
Maybe start the post with 'Dear Roberty...' or something
I'm sure you're not talking to me because everything I've said on this thread has been factual, so you literally couldn't be more wrong
Whichever of the other posters it is that you're talking to, I'll leave it to them to reply to you directly
I was actually referring to this last transfer period, not previous ones so I offer My apologies I have obviously got  it completely wrong and you do know how these transfer negotiations took place.
Story of my life
Sadly she wasn't