watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Feet firmly on the ground

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, August 18, 2018, 07:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimsbeerbelly

I revert to my post last week, where, I said, we'd be fighting it out with the bottom 5, and I still stand by that.

Beaten by a very good Spurs side today, who will no doubt be in the top 3, come the end of the season.

Having spent 100M, our fans automatically expect, that we should be hitting the ground running, and competing with the top half of the Prem, which sadly isn't the case.

Last season, Huddersfield and Brighton both spent 50M each, and just about stayed in the Premier League, add inflation to that, and the 100M may just do the same for us.

We were never going to go out and buy all our players early, it doesn't work like that, we are once again the new boys, and others will tip us for relegation, that's football.

My aim, for this season, is to keep both feet firmly on the ground, and beat those teams around, in an aim for Premier League survival.

If we finish higher than expected, I'll take it as an added bonus.

ChesterTheTabby

Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

MrFFC

It will be a tough few months but we have a lot of quality & over the season we will pull away finishing in 11th place
Come on you Whites!! :)

Jimsbeerbelly

I have no doubts that we may finish higher than expected, and if we do, it'll be a great bonus. Think many are still stuck in Championship mode, of the Fayed years, thinking we should be outpassing sides, and scoring freely (not in the current Prem).

The 100M spent, has just about stabilised us for this season, giving us a chance to compete, and we'll most likey need another 2 or 3 in Jan.

All I'm saying is, we'll most likley lose more than we'll this season, and losing 3-1 to the likes of Spurs, is no shame.

Fulham76

Not overly concerned by today's result, they're a top side, we're still finding our feet & we don't usually get anything at Spurs anyway.

Not a great start to the season but think we'll end with a solid mid table finish.

Fulham Tup North

092.gif I thought we started slow today and allowed Spurs to pass around us too easily. We showed them to much respect early on. Played better for the first 20 mins of the 2nd half. My one big observation on the day was that Spurs were constantly half a yard quicker than us all over the pitch. The fans were in tremendous voice and beneath the overhang in 115 we were crazy noisy. Spurs fans were silent for most of the game? Got to see Mitro's slice at 1-1. Thought the net was going to bulge. Overall, not the result we wanted but certainly signs of a good side once we get a couple of players back and Mawson fit. Massive next two games, hopefully 4 points minimum??
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Steven Ageroad

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on August 18, 2018, 08:56:39 PM
092.gif I thought we started slow today and allowed Spurs to pass around us too easily. We showed them to much respect early on. Played better for the first 20 mins of the 2nd half. My one big observation on the day was that Spurs were constantly half a yard quicker than us all over the pitch. The fans were in tremendous voice and beneath the overhang in 115 we were crazy noisy. Spurs fans were silent for most of the game? Got to see Mitro's slice at 1-1. Thought the net was going to bulge. Overall, not the result we wanted but certainly signs of a good side once we get a couple of players back and Mawson fit. Massive next two games, hopefully 4 points minimum??
COYW

Totally agree with your view of the game and the future. Got to trust the manager, he's got us this far.

Woolly Mammoth

3 1 is no disgrace, yes we were under the cosh for long periods, but a lot of the players put their body on the line at times to keep them at bay. But I saw a few glimpses especially at the start of the second half where we got the ball down and played some decent stuff,
But we were always going to be stretched up against a Spurs team firing on all cylinders.
We can and we will get a lot better.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on August 18, 2018, 08:56:39 PM
Massive next two games, hopefully 4 points minimum??

"4 points minimum" - bit harsh/ambitious IMO

1/2 points minimum (ie not good but adequate, all things considered)
3/4 points would be good

No chance of 6 pts

General

Only 4 starters today weren't summer signings and it took the substitutes of lamela and Dembele to change the game.

There's lots of potential but premier league teams are simply more clinical.

Two observations from highlights were Anguissa looks underutilised... Chambers I've noticed has been exploited for two of our 5 goals so far... I think Bryan could've prevented mouras goal and his lack of awareness saw him drift away from moura when he was our closest player and gave moura far too much space.

I hope lessons can be learned.

Fabri seems a confusing one. I don't think he could've done much about the goals today - he seems to be making a lot of saves per game but still has questionable moments. Is this our defensive unit letting him down? If he erratic? A bit of both or a good keeper? Hard to tell..

Sessegnon seemed more in the game today which was promising and same to be said for cairney.

JoelH5

Quote from: General on August 19, 2018, 12:49:40 AM
Only 4 starters today weren't summer signings and it took the substitutes of lamela and Dembele to change the game.

There's lots of potential but premier league teams are simply more clinical.

Two observations from highlights were Anguissa looks underutilised... Chambers I've noticed has been exploited for two of our 5 goals so far... I think Bryan could've prevented mouras goal and his lack of awareness saw him drift away from moura when he was our closest player and gave moura far too much space.

I hope lessons can be learned.

Fabri seems a confusing one. I don't think he could've done much about the goals today - he seems to be making a lot of saves per game but still has questionable moments. Is this our defensive unit letting him down? If he erratic? A bit of both or a good keeper? Hard to tell..

Sessegnon seemed more in the game today which was promising and same to be said for cairney.

Yeah I agree with that but I would say Fabri looked a lot better than last week.

As you've said, two weeks in a row Chambers has cost us goals. It's early days but so far I'm not a fan. Hopefully Mawson gets fit soon
I was there, standing in the Putney end

hovewhite

Mawson soon as fit will be in alongside either MLM or ream.

Milo

Late October and Christmas time are the two key periods for us looking at the fixture list. Would be good to get a few extra points in the bag over the next few games but we are still trying to gel..

Classic94

I can see Mawson partnering Le Marchand on current form. Either way, it's key that we find a relatively settled backline.