watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Change of formation needed?

Started by Arthur, August 19, 2018, 02:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur

Having seen our two games, I think we need to adapt our formation.

Bettinelli

Fosu-Mensah       MAWSON     Le Marchand        Bryan

Ream

SERI         ANGUISSA       CAIRNEY

Schurrle

MITROVIC

The players whose names are in block capitals are the most likely definite starters. For the other positions, I don't know, yet, whom I think is best; it's the formation that is important.

Similar to Spurs, yesterday, we utilise our full-backs for attacking width. When we do so, Ream (or whoever) drops into a back three and Anguissa holds his position. We attack with, potentially, six players in-and-around the penalty area, and yet remain strong in the event that our attack breaks down and our opponents hit us on the counter:

X                 X                 X

Anguissa

Seri                               Cairney

Full-back                           X                            Full-back

Mitrovic

Up front, having a player closer to Mitrovic will both help him when we need to go with a longer ball out of defence and provide a link with our three midfield kingpins when we are playing our regular possession-based game.

I am pleased that Jokanovic is keeping faith in our style of play. In my opinion, how we organise ourselves to make best use of the players' attributes will be the key factor as to how comfortably we survive this season.

Barrett487

I'm not sure why you think that formation would work, but playing Ream as a DM is a bad idea, especially as we have Anguissa now. as for having Mawson as a nailed on... we haven't seen him play yet. When Kmac plays he drops back to cover defenders caught upfield, so Anguissa will do the same surely?

Joka won't change his system anyway.

grandad

Playing our4-3-3 was perfect in the Championship against sides we could dominate with possession & play out from the back. However in the PL this will not always be possible. Spurs played high up & stopped our normal play. We must field horses for courses & adapt our style from the start but also during a game. It needn´t stop our general style but will give us options
Where there's a will there's a wife

b+w geezer

Quote from: grandad on August 19, 2018, 04:09:12 PM
Playing our4-3-3 was perfect in the Championship against sides we could dominate with possession & play out from the back. However in the PL this will not always be possible. Spurs played high up & stopped our normal play.
We still had a fair amount of possession (40% overall and a sustained spell after h/t) and this followed two-thirds possession v Palace. We lost both games, sure, but it's too early to be convinced that a radical change is needed -- as opposed to getting used to the division, being that bit more clinical and playing some lower-half teams. But having some options -- nothing to say against that.

choice_of_ends

Quote from: grandad on August 19, 2018, 04:09:12 PM
Playing our4-3-3 was perfect in the Championship against sides we could dominate with possession & play out from the back. However in the PL this will not always be possible. Spurs played high up & stopped our normal play. We must field horses for courses & adapt our style from the start but also during a game. It needn´t stop our general style but will give us options
Exactly. That's why we need two CDM.

gang

I don't think you will see Bettinelli playing in the near future he is now 3rd choice.

Facts Not Fiction

choice_of_ends

Quote from: gang on August 19, 2018, 04:38:15 PM
I don't think you will see Bettinelli playing in the near future he is now 3rd choice.
Exeter comes straight after the Burnley game

Arthur

Quote from: Barrett487 on August 19, 2018, 02:49:00 PM
I'm not sure why you think that formation would work...

It may not.

The reasons why I think it may work, however, are in the original post.

This:
Quote from: Arthur on August 19, 2018, 02:37:38 PM
Similar to Spurs, yesterday, we utilise our full-backs for attacking width. When we do so, Ream (or whoever) drops into a back three and Anguissa holds his position. We attack with, potentially, six players in-and-around the penalty area, and yet remain strong in the event that our attack breaks down and our opponents hit us on the counter:

And this:
Quote from: Arthur on August 19, 2018, 02:37:38 PM
Up front, having a player closer to Mitrovic will both help him when we need to go with a longer ball out of defence and provide a link with our three midfield kingpins when we are playing our regular possession-based game.

...playing Ream as a DM is a bad idea, especially as we have Anguissa now. as for having Mawson as a nailed on... we haven't seen him play yet. When Kmac plays he drops back to cover defenders caught upfield, so Anguissa will do the same surely?

Anguissa's role would still be essentially a defensive one. And Ream reads the game excellently and retains possession under pressure - I wouldn't dismiss, out of hand, his chances of forming a defensive midfield pair with Andre-Frank. Anyhow, it could be McDonald - or Le Marchand even - who plays this role.

I find your remark about my opinion of Mawson unthinking: he has built a reputation playing in the PL.

Joka won't change his system anyway.

He may stick by possession-based football come-what-may, but he's used different formations during his time with us.

Woolly Mammoth

Once Alfie Mawson is fit and back into shape, he will be a nailed on. Fulham have not paid that kind of money for him, and then prepared to await his recovery if that was not the case.
Alfie Mawson will be the cornerstone of our defence, and will be the leadership we desperately need at the back to Marshall the defence.
He could turn out to be one of the best Centre Backs we have had for a while.
He has experience in playing in the Premier League already, and one of a number of real quality signings this Summer.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.