watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Goalkeepers

Started by Mince n Tatties, August 20, 2018, 06:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

There has been a lot said by some lately about the performances so far by our goalie.
As someone who wasn't a bad amateur keeper myself I know how hard it can be sometimes.
I wonder how many of you watched MOTD Saturday and Sunday,I did and I saw a lot of flapping about by keepers who supposed to be world class,the England No1 at Everton missed crosses and flapped and dropped the ball a few times on Saturday along with the Arsenal keeper who does if all the time.
The modern ball that is used now with the spin on it and so favours attackers,it can be difficult for a keeper to hold on too,that's why Pickford punches the ball away a lot instead of trying to catch.
What I saw of Fabri on Saturday I think he will be just fine once he gets to know the defence better.
Everyone has a soft spot for Betts(me included) but the manager isn't stupid.
So come on only two games in,give the lad a chance,imo I'm sure he will do good for us.. 049:gif

RaySmith

Agree.

Imagine if the club hadn't invested in  any new keepers, and had no choice but to rely on Betts, and an understudy -Rodak or someone? People would complain.

I also love Betts, and it pains me to see him not even in the squad. But even I can see that our survival in the Prem is what's of the utmost importance. If the manager was  sentimental about players - well, he  wouldn't be  much good as a manager.

I also think that Fabri has dome well so far, and will only get better, as he gets used to his defence and the  pace of the league.

Being a modern keeper, with the pace of the game, and the modern ball, must be one of the toughest, most stressful positions on the pitch.

Obviously, Betts hasn't been thought of as being the best we can get for the Prem, but the manager has said he wants him here to fight for his place, and he needs three keepers competing for the position.

So he still has a good chance to feature, but we need to give the new man a chance too.

toshes mate

I applaud the OP's attempt to bring balance to the table on the subject of goalkeeping.  If a team has a weak, or colander defence, and/or gives the ball away elsewhere on the pitch too cheaply without adequate cover, then the goalkeeper is much more exposed and has to be several percentage points better than average just to look adequate.  It is like asking a world class striker to score lots of goals when they seldom, if ever, get the ball.  Let's judge all individuals in the side when it is playing at its best and be a lot more patient and understanding in the meantime.  I am sure SJ and his team are thinking through and considering what to do with their current work in progress to make it better for all concerned.

VancouverWhite

It also didn't help that Fabri was up against , in my opinion, the best goalie in the world right now, Lloris.

Skatzoffc

Finally, some good sensible posts about Fabri.

I like his attitude as well. Plays with a smile on his face and talks to his his defence.

COYW!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

grandad

I agree with Mince about the balls. Now they are not a lot different from beach balls. They are so light that any sort of wind blows them all over the place. Bring back proper leather balls with internal bladders & laces. I still have the scars on my eyebrows. Also bring back proper boots & not the thin shoes players now wear. This would cut down metatarsal injuries.
Where there's a will there's a wife

choice_of_ends

Most importantly we have to back any keeper starting on coming match day against Burnley. Even if it's Fabri an he again might look dodgy for some people, we have to support our lads. Burnley will feel the pain from the EL qualifiers and some of them might have tired legs. Go for three points. COYW

Woolly Mammoth

Agree, whatever our opinions on who should play. It's basically a lot of new players trying to settle in and establish themselves, they need our support, as does the manager.
We get one win, we will get another. We are back in the top flight, nobody said it was going to be easy.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on August 20, 2018, 06:25:05 AM
There has been a lot said by some lately about the performances so far by our goalie.
As someone who wasn't a bad amateur keeper myself I know how hard it can be sometimes.
I wonder how many of you watched MOTD Saturday and Sunday,I did and I saw a lot of flapping about by keepers who supposed to be world class,the England No1 at Everton missed crosses and flapped and dropped the ball a few times on Saturday along with the Arsenal keeper who does if all the time.
The modern ball that is used now with the spin on it and so favours attackers,it can be difficult for a keeper to hold on too,that's why Pickford punches the ball away a lot instead of trying to catch.
What I saw of Fabri on Saturday I think he will be just fine once he gets to know the defence better.
Everyone has a soft spot for Betts(me included) but the manager isn't stupid.
So come on only two games in,give the lad a chance,imo I'm sure he will do good for us.. 049:gif

I totally agree. The modern ball has so much to do with it and we see far less of the diving, arms stretched catches that we used to because of the swerve on it. Just beating it away has implications for the other defenders as well who have to play their part.

Goodness, just what would Malcolm Webster be like now?!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

nose returns

wel;l argued above but I cannot and do not agree. comparing to others is of little point except the ones in our squad But just on pickford, he made the same errors he made at the world cup and he is less good than some of his publicity.

regarding fabri. It seemed to me that chambers and maxine were sitting extremely deep to deal with high balls in the box just to deal with them because the goalkeeper will not or cannot deal with them, usually I would expect the central defenders to be pushed further forwards and chambers was caught out of position more than once because he was exposed by the midfield, which has not yet gelled, imadequate protection and by the goalkeepers questionable approach to high balls.

It looks like he is number 1 for the moment so I can only hope we get an unlikely turn a round in the areas he is deficient. But having got to the prem, having spent so much money, I had hoped that if we got a new keeper he would have been of a rather higher standard. fabri frightens the life out of me, his stats are as a minimum very misleading.

snarks

I have only seen Fabri "in the flesh" once so far this season, so it is hard for me to make a proper judgement of him. I didn't think he was as at Fault for the second Palace goal as some, but the things that I have noticed is his unwillingness to come for high balls, also he appears to palm a ball straight back out, rather than away from the goal. (i.e. Erickson's free kick) What was obvious was that Lloris pushes the ball away from goal, and is always talking to a very familiar defense.

Moltobueno

So what's the deal with Rico? I understood he was no.1 keeper in Sevilla no? Why would he join us on loan to be 2nd choice?

Of course it's a long season and we need 3 keepers

Horsfield_No9

Having been to both games I think Fabri has been pretty damn good so far. Sure things can be improved but he needs to get to know his teammates just as much as the new outfield players do. It is not his fault he is being picked over Betts so fans need to pipe down and start supporting the guy.

I think I saw a stat that he's made the most saves of any keeper in the Prem this season so far. Difficult to say if Rico or Betts would be doing any better. Rico let in 4 on six occasions last season so the grass isn't always greener. We need to get behind the bloke. 
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

hovewhite

Think the coaching staff will be addressing the flaws of playing in the PL and not Turkey as a different level.
So we have to give Fabri and the other imports the patience to adjust.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Horsfield_No9 on August 20, 2018, 05:16:03 PM
Having been to both games I think Fabri has been pretty damn good so far. Sure things can be improved but he needs to get to know his teammates just as much as the new outfield players do. It is not his fault he is being picked over Betts so fans need to pipe down and start supporting the guy.   

OK, I'll bite. What has he done that's been "pretty damn good so far"? Don't say "made 15 saves," because nearly all of them have been simple.

This is not to say what's happened so far has been solely his doing, but through two matches, he has not come close to meeting a necessary standard, imo.

FulhamStu

Quote from: Denver Fulham on August 20, 2018, 06:56:42 PM
Quote from: Horsfield_No9 on August 20, 2018, 05:16:03 PM
g

OK, I'll bite. What has he done that's been "pretty damn good so far"? Don't say "made 15 saves," because nearly all of them have been simple.

This is not to say what's happened so far has been solely his doing, but through two matches, he has not come close to meeting a necessary standard, imo.

Simple saves and difficult saves, he has made both.  I can think of a couple of top saves v Palace.  I would prefer a bigger keeper, smaller keepers don't give me so much reassurance, however I will not condem him or anyone after 2 games.   I also suspect Slav and the goalkeeper coach are more able to chose the best keeper to start a game than a supporter who sees the game, even if you were at the Cottage and Wembley, our coaches are with the players every day.  Maybe you think you know better than them, but I somehow doubt it.