more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (29/08/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 29, 2018, 07:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham 2-0 Exeter City

Aboubakar Kamara scored seven goals for Fulham last season as the Whites were promoted from the Championship

Aboubakar Kamara scored twice as Fulham beat League Two side Exeter to progress to the third round of the Carabao Cup.

The Frenchman put the hosts ahead in the third minute, lashing in after Grecians keeper Christy Pym could only parry Cyrus Christie's effort.

Exeter almost levelled on 15 minutes when Matt Jay hit the base of the post.

But Kamara calmly doubled the Premier League club's lead three minutes after the break after latching onto Stefan Johansen's threaded through ball.

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic made 11 changes after seeing his side register their first victory since their return to the top flight when they beat Burnley 4-2 on Sunday.

Summer signings Sergio Rico and Alfie Mawson were handed their debuts by the west Londoners, who were meeting Exeter for the first time since a fourth-tier league clash in December 1996.

Mawson, starting at centre-back after recovering from a knee injury following his switch from Swansea, was substituted after 75 minutes but Jokanovic will have concerns over forward Neeskens Kebano, who was stretchered off with an ankle injury in the second half.

Exeter, third in League Two, had beaten Championship side Ipswich on penalties in round one but rarely threatened pulling off a second upset, although Jay had a goal ruled out for offside with six minutes left.

Pym saved well from Portuguese striker Rui Fonte and denied Johansen a third goal in the closing stages when he tipped the Norway international's free-kick onto the post.

Fulham return to Premier League action on Saturday when they travel to Brighton & Hove Albion (15:00 BST).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45254460

WhiteJC

Head Coach Reaction

Slaviša Jokanović wants to see his side continue to progress after watching them win at Craven Cottage for the second time in three days.

Fulham followed up the Burnley victory with a 2-0 win over Exeter City in the Carabao Cup, but Jokanović has urged his team to keep building on their success.

"I must be happy with the ambition we showed today," he said in his post-match press conference. "We wanted to fight and compete in the game.

"We are in some kind of the process, we need to look a little bit better in possession and not complicate our life, show a little bit more quality on the pitch.

"It's part of the process, like I've said before. We need to improve. We are going in the normal way and we expect that in the next round we can play better football still than today.

"Tactically we need to improve. We need to know our positions better, I need more people in the box, I need us to play with less touches. The process is never finished – we need to try and improve and improve and improve."

Jokanović fielded a completely different XI to the one that saw off Burnley at the weekend, and he was justified with a professional display.

"We played two days ago and I didn't see any sense in playing any players who featured two days ago," he explained. "I used some players who didn't have so many chances at the beginning of the season.

"Now we are a bigger squad and I have the space to use more people in different competitions. I try to find logic when I am working and for me there was logic using the players I did today."

Alfie Mawson came in for his debut and put in an assured performance. He also had no adverse reaction to his recent injury, playing more minutes than were initially scheduled.

"He showed quality, he showed experience," Jokanović said. "I had the plan to bring him off after 65 minutes, and in the end he had 10 minutes more.

"He adapted himself with the team very well, and showed he will be a great addition for us. He probably needs a little bit more time to be 100 per cent fit, but he showed today that he can be part of the squad in the league."

And when asked if Mawson has played his way into contention for Brighton on Saturday, Jokanović replied: "Ahead of us is three training sessions. He showed a good level and after three and a half months this is his first game.

"We are happy how he adapted himself with us. He showed he's strong, he's solid in the air. He knows how to play football, and he is going to be a good addition for us.

"I have three days more to think about my team and choose what I think is the best option for us when fighting for the points against Brighton."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/28/head-coach-reaction-exeter

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic proving his critics wrong with Fulham

The 23-year old had an outstanding game for Fulham on Sunday in a 4-2 victory over Burnley, scoring twice in a span of just three minutes.

This season is Fulham's first year in the Premier League since 2014, and although they have won just once in three games so far, Aleksandar Mitrovic has been proving his worth to the club.

The Serbian international was a huge reason the Whites earned a promotion to the Premier League after scoring 12 goals last season in the Championship for Fulham. After his impressive year in 2017/18, they made his loan move from Newcastle a permanent one, making Mitrovic a Fulham man for the distant future, signing him to a five-year contract through the summer of 2023.

Mitrovic has already netted three times in as many games as Fulham's primary man up front, while also coming extremely close to tallying a hat-trick on Sunday against Burnley. All three of his goals thus far have been headers, using his large frame to fight off defenders and put the ball into the net. He has great finesse with his head, evident in his second goal against Burnley. Mitrovic came across the box and met a cross with a header, firing it right past Burnley keeper Joe Hart.

Serbian connection
Fellow Serbian and Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic was the one who brought Mitrovic to Craven Cottage last January from Newcastle. Rafael Benitez didn't feel Mitrovic was the right fit for the Magpies last year in the top flight, so he sent him off to the Whites. Now Benitez is definitely regretting that move, seeing how Mitrovic has been playing so far this year in the Premier League.

Jokanovic stated in recent interviews that Mitrovic is much more than a Championship striker and he has the abilities to be one of the best attackers in the Premier League. Jokanovic has also said how much belief he has in Mitrovic as one of his primary goal-scorers, which can only help the confidence of the 23-year old. They clearly have a very good relationship between the two, which is very important. Mitrovic has such a great attitude on the pitch and is always working hard, whether it's offensively or defensively. There have been doubters saying he will never be more than a Championship-caliber player, but he is proving all those critics wrong thus far and will continue to do so.

Physicality
One of the most noticeable strengths of Mitrovic's brilliance up front is how physical he is. He does a great job of fighting for possession and pushing oppositions off the ball whether it's in the other teams half or his own. If he's got an opportunity to move into space and take a shot on goal, Mitrovic is very talented at protecting the ball and keeping it away from defenders so they can't get a foot in before he takes a strike. He uses his size extremely well in all aspects of the game. Combine his physical style of play with the ability to set up goals and score them as well, and the future looks very bright for Mitrovic.

Fulham may not have gotten off to the start they were looking for this season, but they have a world-class number 9 up front for them who will continue to score goals and help them stay in the Premier League this year. Add in Andre Schurrle and Jean-Michael Seri on the attack, and Slavisa Jokanovic's side has some very talented guys that can net numerous goals this season for the Whites.

https://playingfor90.com/2018/08/28/aleksandar-mitrovic-proving-critics-wrong-fulham/

WhiteJC

Danny Murphy believes Ryan Sessegnon can be a star - but it's too soon for England call-up

The 18-year-old was Fulham's top scorer last season and has started to adjust to life in the Premier League well

Danny Murphy thinks Ryan Sessegnon has everything it takes to be a Premier League star - but say it's too early for him to make the England squad.

The 18-year-old was Fulham's top scorer in the Championship last season with 16 goals as his boyhood club were promoted to the top flight, and there was even talk of an England call-up from Gareth Southgate.

That never materialised, and instead he made his debut for the U21 set-up and watched the World Cup from the stands like everybody else, but with Southgate now looking for youth in his team there's potential for a call-up for Sessegnon, with the England manager present for the 4-2 win over Burnley on the weekend.

He's started his first season in the Premier League well, making two starts for Slavisa Jokanovic's side, setting up Aleksandar Mitrovic's equaliser against Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley in the second game of the season.

Former Fulham captain Murphy sees a bright future for the wonderkid at Craven Cottage, but believes his priority at this stage should be to get minutes under his belt in the Premier League and not getting into the England squad.

Speaking to Bwin, Murphy said: "I think there's no doubt Ryan Sessegnon has the potential to become a Premier League star.

"He has a lot of talent and variation in his make-up to be a very top player, but his immediate priority should be playing as many minutes as possible and adapting to the Premier League.

Fulham's Danny Murphy celebrates after scoring his goal against Burnley during a Premier League match (Image: IAN KINGTON/AFP/Getty Images)

"He has shown a lot of maturity to play in the Championship and score the goals that he has already in his career.

"He deserves great credit for that, but I don't think Sessegnon should be thinking about trying to break into the England squad because he's still so young."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/danny-murphy-believes-ryan-sessegnon-15080330

WhiteJC

Tony Khan full Talksport transcript: Summer transfer window, Wembley plans & more

The Fulham Director of Football spoke to Jim White and Mark Warburton on Talksport this afternoon - here's everything he had to say

Director of Footballer Operations, Tony Khan, spoke to Jim White of Talksport this afternoon on everything from Fulham's transfer window to Shahid Khan's plans to buy Wembley Stadium.

Here's everything he had to say:

Backing you've given to manager is progressive, what represents success this season?

"We have high expectations for the club, a good finish in the Premier League to build on for next season would be a good result for us.

"We were very active in the summer transfer window and we needed to be very active, the club last year was built very responsibly and the things we did to get out of the Championship included a lot of loans.

"We had six domestic loans and you can only have five in a matchday squad, so a lot of the time one of them would sit unless one was injured, and there was times when Piazon and Ojo had injuries and the other five would play.

"But a lot of the time we had six players for five spots so those were six important players from last year that we needed to replace.

"We lost Ryan Fredericks on a free transfer because he got a very good deal at West Ham and will be a good player for them, so we had a lot of really good players to replace.

Family: Shahid Khan and Tony Khan (Image: Norm Hall/Getty Images)

"We were very aggressive in the summer and for us now, a good result would be a solid season in the Premier League that we can build on next season."

Busy done early - that was key?

"I don't know about early, we got some done early, I don't know if you followed it but we had several come down to the wire.

"Two deals, I think, came across with a minute to go.

"Some of it got done, but the loan of Timothy Fosu-Mensah from Manchester United and the purchase of Frank Zambo Anguissa from Marseilles, I got these done at the last minute."

You've spent big money this summer

"Yeah but I think we're not spending money for the sake of spending money.

"These are huge assets for us and great players, great people, and with Mitrovic we knew exactly what we were getting with him.

"You saw how important he was at Wembley and that was an important thing for us to do, but some of the other players, we said it would take time for the guys to gel and when they do we expect really great things to happen.

"We felt like they really came together and did well this past weekend at the Cottage."

Average age is very impressive

"Mitro is 23, generally I don't like to purchase older players, we've extended some players in the later areas of their careers but in terms of bringing players in in the later stages of their careers, we try to avoid it because then it's a limited window for how long of a run they can have with you.

"I feel really good about what we've done."

Special bond with Mitrovic?

"I do, I have a special bond with the whole squad.

"Some of the guys I'm just getting to know now but the long term the closer we'll all get.

"It's a family club, my dad and I run it, my dad has more of the business aptitude whereas I have more of the football aptitude.

"It's how I've always been, here and at the Jaguars I work on the football side, he does the business side because that's been my passion, working with the coaches and working in the personnel department for recruitment.

"I have a lot of fun with it."

Return of Scott Parker is important?

"I love Scott and my first year as Director of Football, Scott was still with us and we were sad when he left because having him on the bench was so valuable and he was a very valuable player, but what he brought in terms of experience, you could see he would be a tremendous coach and I think he will be a great asset.

"We have a great coaching staff, Slavisa has a number of great coaches around him and Scott is one of them."

Tonight vs Exeter - to them it'll be like play-off final

"It'll be the first time we've had access to VAR at the Cottage, which will be interesting as well.

"It's a cool format, it should be a really fun night after we had a great weekend and the performance that everybody put in was so strong and everybody will have a fun night at the Cottage tonight."

Still do a large chunk of work from a distance?

"Sometimes I have to, it's the nature of being a child of two worlds.

"Going back and forth between Fulham and the Jaguars can be tough but I'm in contact for a large chunk of the day, every single day, 365 days a year with everybody at Fulham.

"I'm in London now and will be at the game tonight and was at the match this past weekend and was previously at the Tottenham game.

"I am here a lot and when I'm not, I'm in constant communication from the Jacksonville facility where the Jaguars operate out of."

Shahid Khan's plans to buy Wembley Stadium - still intending to buy?

"Without getting into the specifics of the bidding I believe his intention is to definitely move forward with it.

"He's worked really hard and I think it would be great for everybody involved if it comes off because my dad really does love football, my dad is somebody who would be a great steward of this historical landmark, world renowned facility.

"He has so much respect, not just for the game of football, but the English game of football and it'd be a tremendous thing if it ends up happening and I expect it will happen and hope it will."

Fulham owner Shahid Khan looks on at Wembley

You expect it to happen?

"Yeah I think it'll happen, I don't see any reason why not.

"There's a lot to go through, I'm not on that team and don't know what the daily developments are but I know my dad has been working hard to push forward with it.

"Typically when my dad is working on something and puts his mind to it, I think he has a great plan for Wembley and there's nobody I would trust to do a better job over this great facility.

"It's obviously very special and near and dear to us in our hearts, you were there to see what Wembley means to my family, and that was really great, the greatest day we ever had.

"I was just saying the other day, we won this Sunday against Burnley and it was not only my mother's birthday but it was also the three month anniversary of that day at Wembley, which is the best day I've ever spent with my family."

People here shouldn't feel concerned that Wembley would fall into American hands?

"It's an international game, I love English football and love living in England, I love it here and love living in London especially and I don't know, I don't see why you'd be concerned about it.

"There's a number of businesses in America that are owned by international investors, and if you look at Fulham, people love the club, I love the club, and it's in international hands.

"We're obviously not from here, the coach isn't from here, many of the players aren't, Mitro, Andre Schurrle, Seri, we have a lot of international players that are near and dear to people's hearts that we've brought in so I love English football and it's the greatest thing in the world.

"I don't see why anybody would be concerned about it but if they are I would be happy to talk to them about it and address those concerns."

Football - sometimes you give the ball to Seri and say 'just have a shot son'

"That was quite a shot! He's a very special player and is a great guy."

Top half of the Premier League is the aim?

"That would be great, but I just want to have a finish we can build on in the Premier League, that'd be great but we're a new squad, we've only played a few games together and there's a core of great players that were with us last year, and then there's a whole other group of players that have come in and as we take time to get together, we're also still getting healthy.

"Alfie Mawson is making his return and Tim Ream coming off injury, we just got Odoi back from his suspension from the aforementioned day at Wembley.

"The team is coming out strong, the bunch of guys played really well and I would feel good about having a good season in the Premier League we can build on and build towards a better year next year."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/tony-khan-full-talksport-transcript-15081608

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk: The Player Ratings Show - Fulham vs. Burnley
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is a new feature on Cottage Talk that focuses on player ratings for the Fulham players. During the show, we discussed the ratings and commentary from Ryan O'Donovan from Football.London, and Sarah Taylor from Hammyend.com from the Burnley match. Co-host Max Cohen from The Boot Room commented on both of their ratings, and also shared his own

This is a brand new feature, so please let us know what you thought of this episode?

you can listen to the podcast here...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/8/28/17791520/cottage-talk-the-player-ratings-show-fulham-vs-burnley

WhiteJC

Grant: Cairney can be a major player for Scotland

The Scotland assistant believes the Fulham midfielder is one of several exciting prospects.

Scotland coach Peter Grant has backed Tom Cairney to make an impact for the national team, identifying him as one of a crop of exciting forward-thinking players.

Grant knows the Fulham midfielder well having worked at the club until last week, and he was enthusiastic about what the 27-year old could deliver for Scotland as they aim to reach Euro 2020.

The road to the finals begins with a friendly against Belgium, followed by the Nations League opener against Albania and Cairney seems likely to feature in Alex McLeish's team after being a key part of his club's promotion last season and introduction to the Premier League.

Grant says McLeish aims to put out a team that wants to attack and, alongside the likes of Leigh Griffiths and Callum McGregor, says Cairney can be part of that drive.

"The biggest skill he's got is the fact he is comfortable in possession of the ball. Fulham play in a certain style, they have done it for the last few years, and Tom fits into it fantastically well," he said. "He is very much a creator of opportunities, he is also a goalscorer and he has proved that over the past couple of years - player of they year and Championship team of the year.

"I think the Costa Rica game, we didn't see the best of him. You need people running by Tom so he can step in and get on the ball. We have got to build a team round about the facts that help these guys be at their best.

"To create space, other people have got to move out your space, and give the ball early. He picks up fantastic spaces between the lines and turns and faces the opposition.

"In that particular game we didn't do that quickly enough, we passed square first half. To get the best out of Tom you have to have the right players round about him, and that's what we think we have. "

Grant highlighted the standard of player Cairney was training with and competing against on a weekly basis as proof that the midfielder has what it takes to star at international level.

"He is more than capable and the great thing he is playing at the highest level, playing against top international players week in, week out," he said. "That can only make you think better. He is training with a group of players now at Fulham which is much stronger than last season, we spent £104million.

"So all of a sudden you are playing against better players in training and you have to make sure you are in the team week in, week out.

"He is more than capable of playing at the highest level. Hopefully we can see the best of him and that's what we are going to try to achieve. When these guys are playing at their best, they are very exciting players and players that the fans will love."

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1429043-grant-cairney-can-be-a-major-player-for-scotland/

WhiteJC

Reaction: Fulham U18s vs Southampton U18s

Colin Omogbehin was delighted with his team's performance, despite only coming away with a point against Southampton.

The Young Whites were cruising at 2-1 up when Connor McAvoy was sent off for an off-the-ball clash with his man. The tide of the game turned, and Southampton got back level. This didn't stop Fulham creating more opportunities of their own, which was something that particularly pleased the Head Coach.

"I was very pleased, the things we worked on through the week came together." He told fulhamfc.com. "We broke through the lines well; the only disappointing thing was we didn't take all the chances we had during the spell.

"We were 2-1 up at half time and we should have been 4-1 up, at 2-1 they still have a sniff of a chance. We needed that third goal to kill them off, but that target became more difficult when we go down to ten men.

"Even when we went down to ten men we created chances. We have players that normally convert them. The boys were very confident, nevertheless, to create three or four chances from our position speaks volumes.

"We are waiting for those chances, we won't stop playing attractive open play. Sooner or later it's something that will carry on coming and we will be rewarded."

A standout performer was striker Terry Ablade, who netted a first half brace and looked a threat throughout. It was the striker's first start for the club and Omogbehin was satisfied with his performance.

"I'm very happy for Terry, he has been working hard and I'm delighted he took his opportunity and scored two good goals. The second goal on his weaker foot was excellent, if I'm being critical he should've had four, but I'm delighted he got his brace."

Fulham travel to West Ham on Saturday full of confidence after an excellent performance.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/28/post-match-reaction-southampton-u18s

WhiteJC

Grant backs Cairney to shine

SCOTLAND coach Peter Grant backed players such as Tom Cairney today to excite the nation.

Cairney made his second Scotland appearance in the friendly defeat by Costa Rica in March and struggled to bring his Fulham form to the international stage, losing possession several times and being slow to track his runner as the visitors scored the only goal.

But Grant, who spent four years coaching at Fulham until last week, is convinced the 27-year-old midfielder has plenty to offer Scotland if utilised in the right way.

Cairney was named in a largely inexperienced squad for next month's double header against Belgium and Albania with Grant sure manager Alex McLeish and the coaching staff can shape a team to make an impact.

Grant said: "The biggest skill he's got is the fact he is comfortable in possession of the ball. Fulham play in a certain style, they have done it for the last few years, and Tom fits into it fantastically well. He is very much a creator of opportunities, he is also a goalscorer and he has proved that over the past couple of years — player of the year and Championship team of the year.

"I think [in] the Costa Rica game, we didn't see the best of him. You need people running by Tom so he can step in and get on the ball. We have got to build a team round about the facts that help these guys be at their best.

"To create space, other people have got to move out [of] your space, and give the ball early. He picks up fantastic spaces between the lines and turns and faces the opposition. In that particular game we didn't do that quickly enough, we passed square first half. To get the best out of Tom you have to have the right players round about him, and that's what we think we have.

"He is more than capable and the great thing is he is playing at the highest level, playing against top international players week in, week out. That can only make you think better. He is training with a group of players now at Fulham which is much stronger than last season, we spent £104 million.

"So all of a sudden you are playing against better players in training and you have to make sure you are in the team week in, week out.

"He is more than capable of playing at the highest level. Hopefully we can see the best of him and that's what we are going to try to achieve. When these guys are playing at their best, they are very exciting players and players that the fans will love."

With James McArthur and Robert Snodgrass making themselves temporarily unavailable for Scotland and other experienced players missing out, Grant believes the younger players can add a vitality to the team.

"The trip to Peru and Mexico was fantastic for us with the camaraderie of the group and what they represented over there. It was brilliant to watch, and we saw an enthusiasm over there with this young group that wanted to play for Scotland. And that is massive.

"Money means nothing to a lot of these guys these days because some have got so much of it they could live for the rest of their days without kicking another ball. The fact they want to come and pull on the jersey is fantastic and that enthusiasm should never leave."

https://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/article/grant-backs-cairney-shine

WhiteJC

TT Battles: Yoshinori Muto vs Andre Schurrle

Newcastle United and Fulham both enjoyed starkly contrasting summer transfer windows: Newcastle's was predictably characterised by a tight-fisted approach from Mike Ashley whilst Fulham were eager to make a handful of coups on their return to the Premier League.

Following seasons of frustration under Ashley's ownership, the Newcastle supporters were given further reason for complaint during the summer window as two of the promoted clubs spent heavily in the market to make dramatic improvements to the quality of their respective squads.

Fulham took plenty of onlookers by surprise as they brought Borussia Dortmund's Andre Schurrle to the club on a season-long loan deal, but Newcastle brought in a versatile attacker of their own from the Bundesliga by signing Yoshinori Muto from Mainz.

Plenty is expected of both the aforementioned players this season, so let's take a look at how their credentials compare.

Yoshinori Muto

Newcastle's struggle to find the back of the net was one of the most dominant themes for the club during the 2017/18 campaign, so it was no surprise that bolstering the attack was at the top of Rafa Benitez's agenda during the summer window.

A centre-forward by trade, Muto was Newcastle's most expensive signing of the summer at £9.5 million, but so far he has been limited to three appearances off the substitutes bench totalling just 45 minutes of Premier League football.

During his cameo appearances the Japan international has shown brief glimpses of the quality and work-rate he will install into Newcastle's attack, but it's far too early to make an accurate judgement of his potential to thrive at St James' Park.

Based on the brief time Muto has spent in a Newcastle shirt so far, his modest price-tag and previous history in the Bundesliga, he should enjoy plenty of success on Tyneside over the course of the season.

TT Grade: B

Andre Schurrle

The former Chelsea attacker's decision to swap Dortmund for Fulham naturally aroused plenty of hype at Craven Cottage.

The Germany international (valued at £13.5 million by Transfermarkt) is incredibly versatile in forward positions and he possesses a level of quality which will give Fulham immense hope in their bid to beat the drop this season.

Schurrle demonstrated his fantastic level of composure and clinical instinct in the penalty area on his first start for the club on Sunday afternoon by also notching his first goal to put the game beyond Burnley's reach with just 7 minutes of regulatory time remaining.

Throughout his career so far Schurrle has made a habit of arriving in the right place at the right time to score vital goals, and his strike against the Clarets suggests that trend is set to continue on his return to the Premier League

TT Grade: A

The Verdict:

Newcastle will have to wait and be patient with Muto as he adapts to the speed and intensity of the Premier League, but in Schurrle Fulham have a player with a proven track record in the top-flight who should have no problem making an instant impact.

On paper, Schurrle is a much better signing that Muto as his rich history at both club and international level along with his ability to slot into a variety of attacking roles should ensure a successful season in Fulham white.

The only down side for Fulham is that they will only benefit from Schurrle's services for a single season as it stands, but he still wins this battle regardless of the length of his stay in south west London.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/ticker/tt-battles-yoshinori-muto-vs-andre-schurrle/

WhiteJC

'He is more than capable of playing at the highest level': Scotland coach Peter Grant backs Tom Cairney to make big impact for national side

Tom Cairney can a key player for Scotland, according to coach Peter Grant
    The 27-year-old struggled on his second cap against Costa Rica in May
    Yet he has been backed to learn from the experience and step up his club form

Scotland coach Peter Grant insists players such as Tom Cairney can excite the nation.

Cairney made his second Scotland appearance in the friendly defeat by Costa Rica in March and struggled to bring his Fulham form to the international stage, losing possession several times and being slow to track his runner as the visitors scored the only goal.

But Grant, who spent four years coaching at Fulham until last week, is convinced the 27-year-old midfielder has plenty to offer Scotland if utilised in the right way.

Scotland coach Peter Grant believes Tom Cairney can start to thrive for his national side

Cairney was named in a largely inexperienced squad for next month's double header against Belgium and Albania with Grant sure manager Alex McLeish and the coaching staff can shape a team to make an impact.

Grant said: 'The biggest skill he's got is the fact he is comfortable in possession of the ball. Fulham play in a certain style, they have done it for the last few years, and Tom fits into it fantastically well.

'He is very much a creator of opportunities, he is also a goalscorer and he has proved that over the past couple of years - player of the year and Championship team of the year.

'I think the Costa Rica game, we didn't see the best of him. You need people running by Tom so he can step in and get on the ball. We have got to build a team round about the facts that help these guys be at their best.

'To create space, other people have got to move out your space, and give the ball early. He picks up fantastic spaces between the lines and turns and faces the opposition.

'In that particular game we didn't do that quickly enough, we passed square first half. To get the best out of Tom you have to have the right players round about him, and that's what we think we have.

'He is more than capable and the great thing he is playing at the highest level, playing against top international players week in, week out. That can only make you think better.

'He is training with a group of players now at Fulham which is much stronger than last season, we spent £104million.

'So all of a sudden you are playing against better players in training and you have to make sure you are in the team week in, week out.

'He is more than capable of playing at the highest level. Hopefully we can see the best of him and that's what we are going to try to achieve. When these guys are playing at their best, they are very exciting players and players that the fans will love.'

Tom Cairney has emerged as a key player for Fulham in their rise to the Premier League

With James McArthur and Robert Snodgrass making themselves temporarily unavailable for Scotland and other experienced players missing out, Grant believes the younger players can add a vitality to the team.

'The trip to Peru and Mexico was fantastic for us with the camaraderie of the group and what they represented over there.

'It was brilliant to watch, and we saw an enthusiasm over there with this young group that wanted to play for Scotland. And that is massive.

'Money means nothing to a lot of these guys these days because some have got so much of it they could live for the rest of the days without kicking another ball.

'The fact they want to come and pull on the jersey is fantastic and that enthusiasm should never leave.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6106997/Scotland-coach-Peter-Grant-backs-Tom-Cairney-make-big-impact-national-side.html

WhiteJC

Fulham 2 City 0

Grecians drop out of Carabao Cup after defeat in London

Exeter City fell to a 2-0 defeat in the Carabao Cup against Premier League side Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Two goals from Aboubakar Kamara did the damage for the home side who controlled the game throughout.

The Grecians did create a few chances, but were unable to force enough clear-cut opportunties to hurt their opponents as they departed the competition.

Match Report sponsored by Speedy Freight

The Grecians made a host of changes to the side that started the match against MK Dons last weekend as Tristan Abrahams and Archie Collins made their full debuts, with Dara O'Shea and Jimmy Oates getting their first taste of competitive football for the club.

There were also starting places for Jordan Tillson, Lee Martin, Matt Jay and Luke Croll, who came on as a second half substitute last time out.

City's Premier League opponents made a number of changes from their weekend win over Burnley but fielded some notable names in the form of Ryan Sessegnon, Calum Chambers and Alfie Mawson.

It was a nightmare start for Matt Taylor's side as they fell behind within just four minutes. Cyrus Christie tried his luck from distance, and Pym could only punch the ball away as he made the save, but Kamara volleyed in expertly to make it 1-0.

But credit to City as they began to find their feet, and almost levelled on 15 minutes when they sprung on the counter-attack. After Collins battled well in midfield, he set Jay away, and the striker struck from the edge of the box but could only find Sergio Rico's right-hand post.

An end-to-end first 20 minutes then saw Fulham break on the counter-attack from a City corner, and Kamara almost added a second from the edge of the box when he tried to curl the ball inside Pym's left-hand post, but the keeper made a good save to keep the score at 1-0.

The Grecians began to see much more of the ball, though, with Lee Martin involved a great deal down the City left. Taylor's side were often unable to force any clear-cut chances at goal, as Neeskens Kabano gave a reminder of the Fulham threat on the counter as he forced a low save from Pym.

The Fulham fans were then calling for VAR, when Kamara broke down the left before being challenged by Aaron Martin in the City box, but referee Kevin Friend waved away the appeals as the Grecians went in at the break trailing narrowly.

The home side started the second period with a chance inside the first minute when Christie got down the right before crossing into the path of Stefan Johansen, who shot just wide of Pym's near post.

And the Grecians fell further behind when Kamara found his second when Johansen played a well weighted pass through the City defence for the striker to latch onto and slot past Pym as Slavisa Jokanovic's side doubled their lead.

Half-time substitute Hiram Boateng created City's first attempt of the second period when he picked up the ball in midfield before darting inside and curling an effort just over Rico's goal.

Another introduction, Jack Sparkes, then made a good impression when he cut inside from the right to find Jay, but Chambers did just about enough to get a deflection on the striker's attempt at goal.

On 65 minutes, and despite the City fans being in full voice in the away end, the home side created a good chance as they forced Pym into a smart save from close range as Fonte slid to try and poke the ball past him from a low cross.

The Grecians did have the ball in the net through Jay when he latched onto a ball over the top, but for the offside flag as City looked for a way back into the tie.

But Pym was at his best again just four minutes from time when he managed to get a hand to Johansen's goal-bound free-kick, as the City keeper pushed the ball onto the post before his defenders cleared, as the Grecians bowed out of the competition.

Fulham: Rico, Sessegnon, Chambers, Kebano (De La Torre, 74), Johansen, Fonte, Christie, Mawson (S. Sessegnon 75), Zambo Anguissa, Cisse, Kamara

Subs not used: Fabri, Odoi, McDonald, Mitrovic, Bryan

Booked:

Exeter City: Pym, O'Shea, A. Martin, Tillson, L. Martin (Boateng, 45), Holmes (Sparkes, 55), Jay, Oates, Abrahams (Taylor, 68), Croll, Collins

Subs not used: Hamon, Sweeney, Stockley, Hartridge

Booked: Collins, O'Shea, Abrahams

Attendance: 9,333 (Inc, 1,471, away)

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2018/august/match-report-for-fulham-vs-exeter-city-on-28-aug-18/

WhiteJC

Fulham 2-0 Exeter: Aboubakar Kamara at the double as Premier League side see off League Two opponents

Slavisa Jokanovic made 11 changes to the side that beat Burnley 4-2 on Sunday
    Aboubakar Kamara was given his first start and repaid his manger with two goals
    League Two Exeter made eight changes themselves and struggled to get going
    Stefan Johansen hit the bar late on and Neeskens Kebano went off with an injury

This certainly wasn't a netbusting thriller that the weekend produced at Craven Cottage, but Fulham's passage to the third round of the Carabao Cup should be viewed as a job well done.

Slavisa Jokanovic made 11 changes to the side that pummelled Burnley at the weekend.

Aboubakar Kamara was given his first start this season and scored a brace to kill off any hope Exeter had of an upset and send Fulham into the third round of the Carabao Cup for the first time in three seasons.

Aboubakar Kamara (right) celebrates after opening the scoring against Exeter on Tuesday

Kamara had struck in just the fourth minute to give the Premier League side an early advantage

Kamara nipped in to score his second goal of the night shortly after the second half kicked off

It has also given Jokanovic plenty to think about ahead of the trip to Brighton in the Premier League on Saturday.

He said: 'We must be satisfied to win the game. We are in a process where we could still do a better job, playing faster with less touches and we can show more quality.

'I was really happy with the ambition of the team I played. Some players could find themselves participating against Brighton.'

The League Two side never really stood a chance after making eight changes themselves from a 1-0 defeat at MK Dons, the side managed by former manager Paul Tisdale.

Matt Taylor, the man now in charge of Exeter, left top scorer Jayden Stockley on the bench. Stockley's three goals this season have Exeter third in League Two.

It underlined how much of a low priority this competition is for lower league sides as it is for those in the top flight.

Unsurprisingly, Taylor wasn't too disappointed in his assessment of the game.

He said: 'It was a tough game, a tough night, but I learnt a lot in terms of our squad. The first 15-20 minutes I felt we gave them too much respect.'

Fulham had progressed from 14 of their previous 15 League Cup ties against fourth tier opposition and they went about making it No 15 with relative ease when Kamara struck in the fourth minute.

Neeskens Kebano hurdles a challenge from Aaron Martin at Craven Cottage on Tuesday night

Summer signing Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa rises to win a header ahead of Archie Collins

Matt Jay appears to grab the ball while on the floor after tussling with Stefan Johansen

Exeter left back Luke Croll failed to track Cyrus Christie who made a bursting run down the right. He cut inside and sent in a low shot which goalkeeper Christy Pym pushed back towards Kamara who sidefooted in.

Exeter were soon breached down the left side. This time it was Ryan Sessegnon who tore away from Jimmy Oates but his left-foot shot from range flashed past Pym's right post.

The 950 fans who had travelled up from Devon were fearing the worst as wave after wave of attack flooded into the Exeter area in front of them.

A rare chance for Taylor's side came after they won possession deep in Fulham's half. Matt Jay's drilled shot cannoned off Sergio Rico's post but Lee Martin couldn't adjust his body to put the rebound on target.

It was a relief for Alfie Mawson who was caught static and unable to react. Mawson was making his first start for Fulham since joining for £20million from Swansea in the summer. That was his only mistake and he will improve given more time to settle into a different team than he played in for Swansea last term.

Ryan Sessegnon swings in a corner during Fulham's comfortable victory on Tuesday evening

Fulham's Ibrahima Cisse is challenged by Collins under the floodlights at Craven Cottage

Keen to draw interest to the competition, the EFL used VAR in four matches on Tuesday night including this one. Its use seemed to be needed when Kamara went down under the challenge of defender Aaron Martin inside the Exeter box. Referee Kevin Friend didn't need a second opinion and played on.

It took Fulham another 44 minutes to score a second but when it came it signalled game over. Stefan Johansen threaded a pass beyond Exeter's backline for Kamara to chase, control and calmly slot past Pym.

A third was nearly added when Johansen's dipping free-kick hit the bar but Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa's follow-up was pretty hopeless and went over Pym's bar.

There was one casualty. Neeskens Kebano, who had been effective on the right, had to be carried off on a stretcher after falling heavily.

Early signs suggest it's a bad one. 'He twisted his ankle and may have hurt his ligaments. We will have to see,' Jokanovic added.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6107371/Fulham-2-0-Exeter-Aboubakar-Kamara-double-Carabao-Cup.html

WhiteJC

Fulham player ratings vs Exeter: Mawson impresses in debut as Cottagers progress

Two goals from Aboubakar Kamara made sure Fulham progressed to the third round of the Carabao Cup

Fulham made their way into the third round of the Carabao Cup with a routine 2-0 victory over Exeter City.

It didn't take Fulham long to get the opener - some lovely football saw the ball played to Cyrus Christie, whose effort was palmed into the path of Kamara, who volleyed home.

The first half saw very little in terms of real chances - Fulham had a few chances to increase their lead but never really tested Christy Pym in the Exeter goal, while the away side hit the post after they had capitalised on a mistake by Ibrahima Cisse in midfield.

Kamara got his second of the game shortly after half time when Stefan Johansen played him through on goal, with the winger poking past Pym.

Rui Fonte had a good effort saved by Pym after some nice movement in the box, but there were very little more to talk about in terms of chances as Fulham saw out a comfortable win.

Here's how we rated the side:

Sergio Rico - 6

A few iffy kicks out from the back but otherwise the first half was quiet for Rico. Had a quiet second half too with Exeter rarely threatening. Looked very comfortable at collecting crosses.

Cyrus Christie - 8

Was getting down the wing well for Fulham in the early stages and causing problems. Continued to do so in the second half and was unlucky not to get a couple of assists under his belt.

Calum Chambers - 7

Was dominant in the heart of defence in the first half the game and was strong in the second half, keeping Exeter's forwards extremely quiet in the Fulham half.

(Image: Nigel French/PA Wire)

Alfie Mawson - 7

Did well next to Chambers in defence and was dominant in the air. Demonstrated what he could do with the ball at his feet. The two have the potential to be a good partnershup.

Ryan Sessegnon - 6

Attacked well down the left but his final ball in the first half wasn't up to his usual standards. Was very quiet in the second 45 minutes and didn't really threaten much.

Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa - 7

Found himself further forward than usual but was strong in the tackle, if not creative on the ball. Had a very good game in midfield and looked every bit the midfield general.

Ibrahima Cisse - 6

Was caught in possession in midfield after dallying on the ball for too long. Otherwise looked decent in the holding midfield role but was beaten a few too many times by Exeter's attacking midfielders.

(Image: Nigel French/PA Wire)

Stefan Johansen - 7

Was the creative force in the middle of the park and looked to make things happen for Fulham. Nice through ball for Kamara to latch onto for his second.

Aboubakar Kamara - 7

Got the opener with some good positioning after putting in the rebound from Christie's strike. Got his second shortly after half time. Had a good game but some of his decision making in the final third could've been better.

(Image: Naomi Baker/Getty Images)

Neeskens Kebano - 7

Saw lots of the ball early on and was causing Exeter problems down the left flank. Continued that in the second half but didn't have the end product to match the forays forward.

Rui Fonte - 7

His runs kept the Exeter defence stretched and provided an outlet for his team mates to pick out, bringing others into play. Was unlucky not to get a goal, with Pym equal to his effort after good movement once more.
Substitutes

Luca de la Torre - 6

Didn't really get too involved in the game out on the left after coming on for Kebano.

Steven Sessegnon - 6

Showed some nice touches in the heart of defence and did well after coming on for Mawson.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-player-ratings-vs-exeter-15083447

WhiteJC

Kamara's two goals take Fulham through

Fulham 2 Exeter 0

An Aboubakar Kamara brace ensured Fulham's safe passage through to the third round of the Carabao Cup after another dominant display at Craven Cottage.

The Whites made 11 changes to the side that beat Burnley just 48 hours beforehand, with debuts handed to Alfie Mawson and goalkeeper Sergio Rico, and it took the hosts just three minutes to open the scoring.

A flowing passing move led to good work from Cyrus Christie, whose shot was parried into Kamara's path before the Frenchman plucked it out of the air with a deft volley past keeper Christy Pym.

Kamara also had a curling shot that Pym did well to keep out, while Ryan Sessegnon – who played at left-back – went close with a long-range drive that flew narrowly wide of the post.

Fulham were largely untroubled by the League Two side throughout, aside from a speculative Matt Jay shot from distance that hit the post after Ibrahima Cissé lost possession in midfield.

And Fulham doubled their lead shortly after half-time when captain Stefan Johansen split the Exeter defence with a precise through-ball, and Kamara poked home when one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

Neeskens Kebano and Rui Fonte both went close to adding a third, before André-Frank Zambo Anguissa blazed over from close range in the dying minutes when Johansen's free-kick was tipped onto the post.

Fulham: Rico; Christie, Chambers, Mawson (S. Sessegnon 75'), R. Sessegnon; Cissé, Zambo Anguissa, Johansen; Kamara, Fonte, Kebano (De La Torre 72′)
Subs not used: Fabri, Odoi, Bryan, McDonald, Mitrović.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/kamaras-two-goals-take-fulham-through

WhiteJC

Watford Tickets

Fulham are next in action at Craven Cottage on Saturday 22nd September when we take on Watford, kick-off 12:30pm.

Tickets are available on General Sale - up to four per person -  and start from just £30 adults and £20 juniors.

Secure your seats to the Whites only home Premier League game of the month today online, by phone on 0203 871 0810 (opt 1) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/28/watford-tickets

WhiteJC

Kamara clicks in new-look Fulham side as Cottagers see off Exeter

The home side's French striker made the difference.

Fulham eased into the third round of the Carabao Cup with a routine 2-0 victory over League Two visitors Exeter that came after they changed their entire starting XI.

Aboubakar Kamara scored shortly after kick-off and then early in the second half to give Fulham a comfortable lead, as they appeared to lose little of the momentum that came with Sunday's Premier League victory over Burnley.

Manager Slavisa Jokanovic chose to overhaul the team that won 4-2 against Burnley to secure their first Premier League points of the season; even Aleksandar Mitrovic, who had scored three goals in their past two games, was dropped to the substitutes' bench.

Such had been the investment in Jokanovic's squad throughout the course of the summer transfer window — in excess of £100million — that much of the XI that was among the finest in last season's Championship could spend many of the coming months featuring in little more than cup competitions.

If it is unusual for a newly-promoted team to have the resources to convincingly compete beyond their league campaign, Jokanovic's may yet do exactly that. He handed debuts to summer signings Sergio Rico and Alfie Mawson, and also recalled Calum Chambers and Ryan Sessegnon, when all four could yet start on Saturday at Brighton.

Their visitors also gave debuts to Jimmy Oates and Dara O'Shea, having similarly changed the team that on Saturday lost 1-0 at MK Dons, and as early as the fourth minute were made aware of the task that confronted them when they fell behind.

Fulham had already threatened, through Rui Fonte shooting narrowly over the crossbar from the edge of the area, when Kamara gave them the lead.

Cyrus Christie powerfully struck at goal, and when Christy Pym could only parry into Kamara's path, the forward produced an uncomplicated, close-range finish into the near-open goal.

Sessegnon then sent a low drive from 25 yards narrowly wide of the far right post, but when the hosts appeared capable of swiftly building a significant lead Exeter reminded them of their presence when Matt Jay beat goalkeeper Rico when striking the left post after a promising attack on the counter.

It was three minutes into the second half when the second goal Kamara deserved came his way. Stefan Johansen, named captain for his first start of the season, split the visitors' defence with a fine pass that gifted the striker time and space from in front of goal, which he used to finish comfortably and low to Pym's left.

They came close to a third shortly after the hour mark, through Fonte. From the left wing Sessegnon sent a low cross to the spot in front of goal from where the striker struck first time to force a fine reaction save from Pym.

Fulham remained comfortable thereafter, encouraging Jokanovic to replace Mawson with Steven Sessegnon with 15 minutes remaining. The third goal they sought again eluded them in the final minutes when Pym tipped Johansen's curling free-kick onto the post.

http://sport.bt.com/football/kamara-clicks-in-new-look-fulham-side-as-cottagers-see-off-exeter-S11364291875540

WhiteJC

Aboubakar Kamara strikes twice against Exeter to expose gulf in class and put Fulham through

Aboubakar Kamara and Ryan Sessegnon celebrate doubling Fulham's lead over Exeter at Craven Cottage Credit: Action Images via Reuters/Alan Walter

Fulham 2-0 Exeter City

The Carabao Cup is hardly top of Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic's priority list but this victory will have given him confidence that he has the squad to compete in the Premier League.

Two goals from Aboubakar Kamara, composed debuts from Alfie Mawson and Sergio Rico and another exhibition from Ryan Sessegnon ensured Exeter City were brushed aside more easily than the two-goal margin might suggest.

If Jokanovic was to have any complaint, he might be frustrated with his side's failure to score more, but nevertheless a place in round three was assured for the first time in three years.

"We must be satisfied, the team showed great ambition, but I expect us to play better in the next round," said Jokanovic. "Some of these players can perfectly participate in the game against Brighton, we need to find the best starting 11.

Fulham's Aboubakar Kamara scores his second Credit: Naomi Baker/Getty Images

"It was three months and a half [since Mawson last played] and the first time Alfie played with his new team-mates, he showed his quality, power, strength in air, experience and some organisation too."

Fulham made 11 changes from the side which beat Burnley 48 hours earlier with Mawson, a £20 million signing from Swansea, coming in having recovered from the knee injury which had delayed his first appearance.

There was a gulf in class and the hosts were ahead just four minutes in as Kamara volleyed home after Christy Pym had failed to hold a tame effort from Cyrus Christie. Sessegnon shot just wide while Exeter, of League Two, came close to a leveller when Matt Jay's 20-yarder was pushed onto the post by Rico. Back came Fulham with Pym saving well to deny Neeskens Kebano.

There were signs of the home fans growing restless though as Kebano sliced an effort just over the crossbar and then Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa also missed.

Fulham continued to dominate and should have scored within seconds of the restart, Stefan Johansen blasting wide from Christie's cross. But Jokanovic's side doubled their lead in the 48th minute as Kamara slotted home his second from Sessegnon's pass.

Fulham suffered disruption as Kebano was stretchered off with ligament damage while Mawson was replaced to a standing ovation. There should have been more goals with Zambo Anguissa failing to hit the target after Pym had pushed Johansen's free-kick onto the post.

"It was a tough game, tough night, we will learn a lot from it," said Exeter's manager Matt Taylor. "We gave them a bit too much

respect but the group will be better from this."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/08/28/aboubakar-kamara-strikes-twice-expose-gulf-class-put-fulham/

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic full transcript: Fulham boss on Alfie Mawson, Kebano injury & more

The head coach spoke to the media after the 2-0 victory over Exeter City in the Carabao Cup

Pleased to win the tie and into the second round

"We must be satisfied after winning the game.

"The team showed the great ambition for fighting and pushing for the victory, for another side we are in some kind of process and we can still do a better job.

"We can be in tactically better positions and not complicate so much.

"We can play faster and with less touches, it's probably we complicate and we can show more quality today than we showed in this game.

"We are in some kind of the process, the process is going in some natural way and I hope and expect we are going to play better football next round."

Made 11 changes - how did team do?

"This is what I try to explain, first of all I am really happy with the ambition of the team and we are in some kind of process and we need to push ourselves to play better football and find more sense in everything that we are doing in the 90 minutes."

Anyone force their way into your plans for Brighton?

"This is first team plan too.

"Some players from today can be perfectly participate in Saturday's game with Brighton and I will repeat, we are still trying to build up our team.

"Now the only important thing after this game is the one immediately ahead of us and we are going to take some conclusion after tonight's game and work to prepare the game and I will try to find the sense and the best starting XI for this game."

Kebano injury?

"He switched the ankle and we must still assess him, I cannot give you more information.

"It could be some ligament damage but I don't know, we must assess him."

Alfie Mawson debut today

"After three months and a half or something like this, this was first time he played the game and with new team mates.

"Alfie showed the quality, the power and was strong in the air, he showed some experience and leadership too.

"It was a positive sensation for me and for Alfie."

Steven Sessegnon playing at centre back

"In future? He play in this position in the past.

"If you follow U23, these people know he plays many games in this position, he played for national team in this position too I believe.

"I didn't discover anything new, he can play in the position of full back and centre back, it's no problem for him."

Pleasing to start so quickly

"We start quick and continued more quickly.

"We didn't play with more calm and play the ball faster without complicating so many things.

"You can score in last minute or first minute, I cannot give you some logical explanation how we scored at the start of first and last 45 minutes."

Sergio Rico's performance

"In my hands I have three quality keepers and it's fantastic news for us.

"I have less chances to make mistake and first chance for Sergio too, to play with new team mates and he showed the personality and made a few interesting saves and actions from his position.

"I must be satisfied like I try explain, I am satisfied with the ambition from my side.

"Gap is interesting thing ahead of us and we will cover this gap to our best level."

Aboubakar Kamara brace

"With two goals I am always happy.

"Kamara is Kamara, we know him and he can make different things and at the end he's a different player and really fast and strong and for Kamara like for another part of the team, to cover this gap and we need to improve, be better and show ambition for improve ourselves.

"After two goals, what is important for Kamara is still harder and better to try score three next time.

"All of us, myself, my team, team from tonight and Sunday, we must improve."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/slavisa-jokanovic-full-transcript-fulham-15083970

WhiteJC

Fulham's Kebano suffers possible ligament damage

Fulham boss Slavsia Jokanovic says the extent of an injury Neeskens Kebano suffered against Exeter will be assessed over the next couple of days.

The 26-year-old winger was stretchered off in Fulham's 2-0 Carabao Cup win, which saw summer signing Alfie Mawson make his debut after a knee operation kept him out of action for three months.

Jokanovic, who is also missing Tim Ream and Floyd Ayité through injury, said: "He (Kebano) injured his ankle. It can be some ligament damage, but I don't know yet. We have to assess him."

Despite the setback, the Serbian was pleased with the progress his team showed in their second dominant win at Craven Cottage in 48 hours, after an entirely different line-up defeated Burnley in the Premier League on Sunday.

But he acknowledged that there is more room for improvement for his new-look squad going forwards.

"I am really happy with the ambition of the team," he added. "We need to push ourselves to play better football still, and find more sense in everything that we are doing in the 90 minutes.

"I expect we will play better in the next round."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulhams-kebano-suffers-possible-ligament-damage