more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (29/08/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 29, 2018, 07:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham boss considers promoting fringe stars for Brighton clash after cup win

Aboubakar Kamara scored two goals that could push him into the Premier League frame.

Slavisa Jokanovic revealed that Fulham's fringe players had moved into contention to feature against Brighton in the Premier League after impressing in the 2-0 victory over Exeter in the Carabao Cup.

The Serbian's team eased into the competition's third round with two goals from Aboubakar Kamara on an evening in which he had changed his entire starting XI.

He handed debuts to summer signings Alfie Mawson and Sergio Rico, the latter in goal, despite Fulham securing their first points of the season in Sunday's victory over Burnley, and his overhaul was rewarded as Ryan Sessegnon, Kamara and Stefan Johansen all excelled.

They visit Brighton on Saturday hoping to further the sense of momentum that is gathering after beginning their season with successive defeats, and the 50-year-old Jokanovic said: "We must be satisfied to win. We are in a process where we could still do a better job, playing faster with less touches and we can show more quality.

"I was really happy with the ambition of the team. Some players could find themselves participating against Brighton on Saturday. We need to find the best starting XI.

"We can start even quicker and move the ball even faster.

"I am always happy with a player when he scores two goals. Kamara is Kamara, he can offer something to the team that is different. These goals could be important for him."

The fit-again Mawson was replaced by Steven Sessegnon after 75 minutes as Jokanovic focused on match fitness.

Jokanovic said of the substituted central defender's performance: "It was the first time Alfie played with his new team-mates. He showed his quality, power, strength in the air, experience and some organisation too."

The only negative for Fulham, following Kamara's finishes shortly after kick-off and half-time, came when they lost Neeskens Kebano to suspected ligament damage.

League Two Exeter had made eight changes to their starting XI, which included debuts for Jimmy Oates and Dara O'Shea.

The focus of their manager Matt Taylor clearly remains the league campaign that has so far taken them to third place, and he said: "It was a tough game, tough night, but I learnt a lot in terms of our squad.

"For the first 15 to 20 minutes I felt we gave them too much respect. We didn't quite get after them or get into them as much as I would have liked.

"Had Matt Jay's shot (at 1-0 down) gone in and not hit the post it might have been a different story.

"But conceding so early puts you on the back foot and saps your confidence straight away.

"The group will be better from this."

http://sport.bt.com/football/fulham-boss-considers-promoting-fringe-stars-for-brighton-clash-after-cup-win-S11364291886378

WhiteJC

Fulham 2, Exeter City 0
We have a cup run, folks!

Photo by Naomi Baker/Getty Images

Just like that, Fulham have won two games in a row and Craven Cottage seems a bit more peaceful. The football club were able to do easy work on Exeter City 2-0 thanks to a brace by Aboubakar Kamara and a 21-3 shot advantage that clearly showed the difference between the two teams. However, the match was only tainted by a nasty leg injury to Neeskens Kebano that saw him leave today's match on a stretcher.

But before that, Fulham were able to get the first goal in just the fourth minute. With a powerful shot comingoff of the boot of Cyrus Christie, Exeter keeper Christy Pym was only able to punch it towards Kamara, who volleyed it sweetly back towards a yawning net. The rest of the first half basically outlined how the rest of the 90 minutes felt: workmanlike throughout, with nothing so venomous that the mercy rule needed to be implemented by Exeter, but a solid effort from an entirely new starting XI. There probably should have been a penalty rewarded to Kamara as well as he was clattered in the area at the 33rd minute, only for referee Kevin Friend to wave it off.

Fortunately, Fulham did not have that misjudgement affect the way they played the rest of the match as Stefan Johansen was able to slide a lovely through ball to Kamara to tap it home early in the second half. From there, the home side were basically on cruise control and didn't look back. Almost everyone in the XI had a good showing tonight. Alfie Mawson looked solid returning from offseason surgery. The midfield of Johansen, Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Ibrahima Cisse showed good balance. Most importantly, the attacking trio of Kamara, Kebano and Rui Fonte were buzzing all evening.

Unfortunately, we'll have to hear more about the extent of Kebano's injury as it has been reported that he rolled his ankle from a blocked shot challenge from an Exeter defender. While it didn't look intentional, the challenge was enough for Kebano to suffer such a gruesome injury and cause concern among his teammates. Otherwise, it was a good night for Fulham as they await who they will face next from Thursday's third round draw.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/8/28/17793704/fulham-2-exeter-city-0

WhiteJC

Kamara brace sends Fulham through

A brace from Aboubakar Kamara either side of half-time was enough for Fulham to overcome a youthful Exeter City and secure a place in the third round of the League Cup at Craven Cottage tonight.

The French forward, offered an opportunity to impress when Slavisa Jokanovic fielded an entirely different side from the one that recorded the Whites' first Premier League win of the new campaign against Burnley on Sunday afternoon, demonstrated impressive agility to fire the home side ahead after just four minutes and then kept his cool when released by a fine through ball from skipper Stefan Johansen to double the lead three minutes into the second half. Fulham could – and perhaps should – have won by a greater margin against spirited League Two opposition, but Exeter had their moments and retained a laudable commitment to playing attractive and enterprising football.

Jokanovic will have been pleased that his side avoided an exit at the hands of lower league opponents, something they failed to do last season – when they bowed out at this stage to Bristol Rovers. There was an encouraging debut for £15m centre back Alfie Mawson, who looked commanding if short of match sharpness after recovering from knee surgery, and positive cameos from a number of his fringe players. The victory was marred by a serious looking injury to the lively Neeskens Kebano, who was stretchered off with possible ankle ligament damage.

Fulham got off to the perfect start inside the first five minutes when Republic of Ireland international Cyrus Christie surprised Christie Pym by shooting from the right angle of the penalty area and Kamara made no mistake with an instinctive volley into the top corner from the rebound. It might have been two three minutes later when Ryan Sessegnon surged forward from left back and sent a fizzing drive fractionally wide of the far post.

Matt Taylor's side certainly didn't try and put eleven men behind the ball and played some pretty football of their own. The Grecians, roared on by a vociferous band of nearly 1,500 travelling supporters, nearly got a reward for their positivity when Ibrahama Cisse was punished for overplaying in front of his back four and Matt Jay's low strike from distance beat Sergio Rico and rattled the base of the far post. That scare galvanised the home side and Kebano spurned two good chances before the break, with Pym fielding a tame shot at his near post, before the Congolese winger spooned an effort over the bar from a good position inside the penalty area.

The hosts made the best possible start to the second period – their second goal owing much to Mawson's calmness in possession as he began a sweeping counter-attack with a raking forward ball. Johansen had a couple of options to ponder over as he moved over the half-way and played the perfect pass allowing Kamara to accelerate away from the Exeter defence. The former Amiens forward showed commendable calmness in front of goal, slotting an unerring finish inside the near post with the outside of his foot, to put Fulham in complete control.

He then turned provider – making an intelligent run to latch onto another forward ball and unselfishly laying it off for Kebano, who got underneath his shot and sent it into the Hammersmith End. Exeter, who were bolstered by the introduction of the impressive Hiram Boateng in midfield at half-time, still looked to get men forward whenever possible and the Whites were indebted to a smart block from the retreating Calum Chambers as Jay appeared ready to pull the trigger inside the Fulham box.

The Premier League still saw the majority of the ball and went in search of a third goal. Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa's lovely spin and pass released Sessegnon down the left and when the teenager's low cross was diverted goalwards by Rui Fonte at the near post it looked a certain third – until Pym somehow parried the ball to safety. Kebano had a shot bravely blocked at source by Aaron Martin but the Fulham winger looked in serious pain immediately as he fell to the turf and was stretchered off after receiving treatment on the field.

Anguissa should have registered his first senior goal in the closing stages but he contrived to lift his close-range finish over the bar after Pym had scrambled across his line to turn Johansen's curling free-kick onto the post. The Cameroonian international created another chance for himself in the last minute of normal time when he drove towards the Exeter box before unleashing a powerful strike that Pym juggled, before claiming as it bounced up off the turf.

Jokanovic will have a few selection issues to mull over ahead of Fulham's trip to Brighton and Hove Albion at the weekend, with Mawson's integration into the side a priority once he is deemed ready to reacquaint himself with the rough and tumble of the Premier League. Kamara may well consider himself unfortunate not to get a look in on the south coast after this sharp display.

FULHAM (4-3-3): Rico; Christie, R. Sessegnon, Chambers, Mawson (S. Sessegnon 75); Cisse, Anguissa, Johansen; Kamara, Kebano (de la Torre 74), Fonte. Subs (not used): Fabri, Bryan, Odoi, McDonald, Mitrovic.

GOALS: Kamara (4, 48).

EXETER CITY (3-4-3): Pym; O'Shea, Croll, A. Martin; J. Oates, Tillson, L. Martin (Boateng 45), Holmes (Sparkes 55); Jay, Abrahams (Taylor 69), Collins. Subs (not used): Hamon, Sweeney, Hartridge, Stockley.

BOOKED: Collins, O'Shea, Abrahams.

REFEREE: Kevin Friend (Leicestershire).

ATTENDANCE: 9,333.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/kamara-brace-sends-fulham-through/

WhiteJC

Jokanovic seeks 'further improvement'

Slavisa Jokanovic was pleased that Fulham progressed in the League Cup tonight by seeing off Exeter City – but has urged his side to strive for further improvement.

The Serbian head coach praised the Whites' ambition after watching his team defeat their League Two opposition comfortably, courtesy of two goals from French forward Aboubakar Kamara – but he told his post-match press conference that he had identified a number of areas where Fulham should be looking to improve:

I must be happy with the ambition we showed today. We wanted to fight and compete in the game. We are in some kind of the process, we need to look a little bit better in possession and not complicate our life, show a little bit more quality on the pitch.

It's part of the process, like I've said before. We need to improve. We are going in the normal way and we expect that in the next round we can play better football still than today. Tactically we need to improve. We need to know our positions better, I need more people in the box, I need us to play with less touches. The process is never finished – we need to try and improve and improve and improve.

Jokanovic made eleven changes from Sunday's victory over Burnley and reiterated the importance of giving some of the first team squad's fringe players an early season run out.

We played two days ago and I didn't see any sense in playing any players who featured two days ago. I used some players who didn't have so many chances at the beginning of the season. Now we are a bigger squad and I have the space to use more people in different competitions. I try to find logic when I am working and for me there was logic using the players I did today.

The Fulham boss singled out debutante Alfie Mawson for particular praise after the former England under-21 international came through his first start since a summer move from Swansea City unscathed.

Alfie Mawson came in for his debut and put in an assured performance. He also had no adverse reaction to his recent injury, playing more minutes than were initially scheduled. He showed quality, he showed experience. I had the plan to bring him off after 65 minutes, and in the end he had 10 minutes more.

He adapted himself with the team very well, and showed he will be a great addition for us. He probably needs a little bit more time to be 100 per cent fit, but he showed today that he can be part of the squad in the league. Ahead of us is three training sessions. He showed a good level and after three and a half months this is his first game.

Jokanovic insisted that it was too early to say whether Mawson would keep his place in the starting line-up when Fulham travel to the AMEX Stadium to take on Brighton and Hove Albion this weekend.

We are happy how he adapted himself with us. He showed he's strong, he's solid in the air. He knows how to play football, and he is going to be a good addition for us. I have three days more to think about my team and choose what I think is the best option for us when fighting for the points against Brighton,

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/jokanovic/

WhiteJC

Kebano could have 'ligament damage'

Fulham winger Neeskens Kebano could have had sustained ankle ligament damage after being stretchered off in tonight's League Cup win over Exeter City.

The Congolese international looked in considerable pain after being unintentionally caught on his ankle by Aaron Martin's follow through after the Grecians centre back blocked Kebano's shot towards the end of Fulham's victory. Kebano immediately fell to the turf, clutching his ankle and was carried off following treatment on the pitch from the Fulham physios.

Jokanovic told his post-match press conference that it was too early to accurately assess the extent of the damage, but he hoped that the 26 year-old, who has suffered from a number of injuries since moving to Craven Cottage, was not badly hurt.

He switched the ankle and we must still assess him, I cannot give you more information. t could be some ligament damage but I don't know, we must assess him.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/kebano-could-have-ligament-damage/

WhiteJC

Outstanding Christie, Brilliant Mawson – The best and the worst rated Fulham players vs Exeter City

Full time: Fulham 2-0 Exeter City

Fulham advanced to the third round of the Carabao Cup with a routine 2-0 victory over Exeter City on Tuesday.

It took only four minutes for Fulham to open the scoring. Cyrus Christie's effort was palmed into the path of Aboubakar Kamara, who volleyed home.

Exeter came close to levelling when Matt Jay hit the post after capitalising on a mistake by Ibrahima Cisse in the midfield. However, Kamara got his second shortly after the interval when Stefan Johansen played him through on goal, with the forward poking past goalkeeper Christy Pym.
Fulham player ratings
Sergio Rico – 6/10

Rico had a decent debut for Fulham with the goalkeeper rarely being troubled by Exeter.
Cyrus Christie – 8/10

Christie was flying up and down the right flank in the early stages and caused Exeter many problems. He continued playing with the same intensity after the break too. A solid display.
Calum Chambers – 7/10

Chambers stayed solid at the heart of the Fulham defence and read the game very well, keeping the Exeter attackers at bay.
Alfie Mawson – 7/10

Mawson started alongside Chambers and kept things tight at the back. As well as being dominant in the air, he was good with the ball at his feet too.
Ryan Sessegnon – 6/10

Sessegnon was a lively presence on the left as he often caused Exeter problems with his explosive pace. However, he was very quiet in the second half and his crossing was not up to the mark.
Ibrahima Cisse – 6/10

Cisse was lucky his mistake of holding the ball up for too long wasn't punished by Exeter. Other than the rare blemish, he looked decent in the holding midfielder's role.
Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa – 7/10

Anguissa offered some much-needed steel to Fulham's midfield as he broke the opposition. He lacked the creative edge in his game but that didn't stop him from having a good game in the midfield.
Stefan Johansen – 7/10

Johansen dictated the tempo of the game with his distribution. He kept things ticking for the hosts and played a nice through ball for Kamara to score his second of the night.
Aboubakar Kamara – 7/10

Gave Fulham the perfect start when he scored the rebound from Christie's strike. Kamara got his second after the break but his overall gameplay could have been much better.
Neeskens Kebano – 7/10

Kebano tried to make things happen and was a constant pest for the Exeter defenders. Worked hard in the second half too, but his end product was frustrating.
Rui Fonte – 7/10

Fonte had a really good game as he time and again stretched the Exeter defence with his movement. He was unlucky not to get a goal.
Substitutes
Luca de la Torre – 5/10

Replaced Kebano but barring a few good moments, he was largely anonymous.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/08/29/outstanding-christie-brilliant-mawson-the-best-and-the-worst-rated-fulham-players-vs-exeter-city/

WhiteJC

Mawson pleased with 'perfect debut'

Alfie Mawson was delighted to come through his Fulham debut unscathed after spending a long summer on the sidelines following knee surgery – and described a clean sheet in the League Cup victory over Exeter City as 'a perfect debut'.

The former England under-21 international defender made his long-awaited Fulham debut alongside Calum Chambers at the heart of a much-changed back four and lasted far longer than head coach Slavisa Jokanovic had suggested in his pre-match comments. Mawson told FulhamFCTV of his pleasure at finally being able to pull on the Fulham shirt after his summer switch from Swansea City:

I think we dominated. We were a bit slow in the first half with our build-up play, but fair play to Exeter they set up quite well. A clean sheet is the most important thing for me as a debut and to go through with that is perfect.

I was really happy. I think this game was the perfect opportunity for me to get out there and really test the knee since the injury and, thankfully, no problems at all. I felt really strong. To play a bit longer than first anticipated, I'm really happy with that and like I said, the way it went is very encouraging.

Mawson believes that the win over League Two opposition will serve as a good confidence boost heading into Saturday's tricky trip to the south coast to take on Brighton and Hove Albion.

You've got to show respect to whoever you're playing. They're here for a reason, they've done well in the last round and lower league teams up their game [in this competition]. Fair play to them, but tonight was a really professional job on our behalf and I'm really proud of the lads.

The ball-playing centre back is hopeful of making a strong contribution as he rediscovers his match sharpness and praised Fulham's fitness staff for ensuring his return to first-team action went so smoothly.

The club have put together a programme for me and I've stuck to it. For the last week I've been in full training. It was always the aim to get out there as quick as I can. The lads done brilliantly on Sunday and all things are going well at the moment. Getting through tonight is good for confidence, it's a morale booster for everyone – especially the fans. Saturday is going to be a big task, but I think the lads will have more than enough if we play like we did the other day.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/mawson-pleased-with-perfect-debut/