watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (30/08/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 30, 2018, 07:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic finally beginning to fulfil his potential?

Eyebrows were raised when recently-promoted Fulham splashed £22million potentially rising to £27million to sign Aleksandar Mitrovic on a permanent deal from Newcastle United.

The step up from the Championship to playing regular Premier League football was expected to be tough. The man from Serbia has taken to it like a duck to water; scoring three times in his opening three matches for The Cottagers.

Mitrovic, aged 23, is already showing The Magpies what they're missing. They've only scored twice in their three games under Rafael Benitez this season, with just one point to their name. Now, I'm not saying they were wrong to let the striker leave, what is shocking, however, is the fact that the transfer fee received hasn't been invested back into the playing squad.

As for Mitrovic, his insane potential is slowly beginning to be fulfilled. When he first moved to England back in 2015, we saw glimpses. The consistency just wasn't there. He scored nine Premier League goals for Newcastle, striking seventeen times in total. In a little over six months for Fulham, the forward has already netted fifteen times. That just shows a little bit of confidence and trust can work wonders.

The talent is so obviously there. It's not just the goals that make Mitrovic an excellent player. It's the work-rate, the energy, the ability to hold the ball up and press from the front. He's the full package, while constantly improving and learning. You have to heap the praise at Slaviša Jokanović's doorstep for that.

Mitrovic had a reputation that was slowly regrowing as a Championship footballer. He was already an international regular before his top-flight return. No doubt his excellent World Cup campaign was another major step in the right direction before he tried his hand in the Premier League once again.

Hitting the ground running was vital. Three goals and two assists in his last two outings is an exceptional return. Fulham have found their target man, their main goal-getter. If their number one aim is remaining in English football's top division, they're already well on their way; provided Mitrovic can keep himself fit - and out of trouble.

The striker does have that mean streak in him. At times, he will lose his head and get himself sent off needlessly. He plays angry. You cannot coach that away from him, when he's got that rage flowing, Mitrovic is at his brilliant best. Sometimes, you have to take the rough with the smooth. You can bet that Jokanović is fully prepared to be without his key man for at least five games a season due to suspension.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Mitrovic is back on the right track. He's got all the talent, we're finally watching him showcase his ability to the footballing world. Fulham, although they've only just acquired the striker, may already be looking over their shoulder. If he continues with this rich vein of form, the so-called 'big boys' may come calling. That said, their cash-rich owners don't care about financial success. They are intent on becoming a Premier League mainstay; that Mitrovic is an integral part of.

https://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/aleksandar-mitrovic-finally-beginning-to-fulfil-his-potential

WhiteJC

Cairney pulls out of Scotland squad

Tom Cairney has withdrawn from the Scotland squad for next month's international double header against Belgium and Albania due to an ankle injury.

The Fulham captain limped off towards the end of their first Premier League victory of the season against Burnley on Sunday and was rested for last night's League Cup win over Exeter City. Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic had hoped that the playmaker would be available for Saturday's trip to face Brighton and Hove Albion, but that now looks unlikely following Cairney's withdrawal.

The 27 year-old suffered serious disruption to the start of his campaign last season due to a persistent knee injury and this latest ankle problem, caused by a late challenge from Burnley's Charlie Taylor, could give Jokanovic a selection headache for the clash at the AMEX this weekend. Cairney's possible absence could open the door to Stefan Johansen, who captained the Whites to victory over the Grecians last night.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/08/cairney-pulls-out-of-scotland-squad/

WhiteJC

From signing up to recruitment agencies to an England call-up - Alfie Mawson's rise to the top

The 24-year-old considered quitting football altogether in 2014 and even signed up to recruitment agencies

Alfie Mawson could never have imagined in 2014 that he would be playing in the Premier League with Fulham after considering hanging up his boots as a result of injury.

The 24-year-old suffered a meniscus injury in his knee during a Brentford development game which he took part in whilst out on loan at Welling United, with the centre back even going as far as to sign up to recruitment websites to look for new jobs.

He would've been out of contract at Griffin Park at the end of that season, but the Bees offered him an extension and once he had recovered, he joined Wycombe Wanderers and helped them to the League Two play-off final, where they lost to Southend United.

Since then, he's won promotion with Barnsley, played in the Premier League with Swansea City and represented his country at U21 level, whilst also gaining senior recognition with a call-up the senior squad for friendlies with the Netherlands and Italy in March.

It's something he never thought would happen just four years ago, but now Mawson stands on the edge of making his Premier League bow with Fulham.

Speaking to the official matchday programme, Mawson said: "I was coming to the end of my contract there and I wasn't sure I'd get offered a new deal.

"I actually signed up to a recruitment agency just to have a look around and see what jobs there were.

"But thankfully Brentford offered me an extra year and I took the opportunity to go on loan with Wycombe. We almost got promoted, but lost the 2014/15 League Two play-off final on penalties.

"From there it just snowballed and now I'm here. But when I was contemplating hanging up my boots, would I have thought I'd ever play Premier League? No.

"Could I have ever imagined I'd get an England call-up? No chance.

"But the harder you work, the luckier you get."

Mawson revealed those doubts in an interview with us three years ago as Wycombe Wanderers booked their place at Wembley for the League Two play-off final, courtesy of a victory over Plymouth Argyle.

He spoke at the time of how being offered a new deal by Brentford meant a lot to him, and how the support of his family and his best friend was pivotal in pulling him from one of the toughest spells of his career.

At the time, Mawson said: "I was doing well on loan at Welling at the time and was quite happy with my performances but I got the injury in a development game and it killed me.

"I didn't know what to do and then I got called in while I was doing my rehab and was told they were offering me a new deal.

"It means a lot, especially when you're injured. That would've been the worst thing, not being offered a new deal when you're injured.

"Football's a short career and I don't want to be a player who is hanging on. You've got to be realistic in football.

"My family and my best mate really helped me through that time, little did they know they helped, but they really did. I'm trying to pay them back.

"I signed up to a few job websites. I still get emails through from them on my phone sometimes and it makes me think about it.

"I could've gone down that route and thank god I didn't. It shows that you've got to get what you can while you can."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/signing-up-recruitment-agencies-england-15085981

WhiteJC

Dempsey Retires

Fulham favourite Clint Dempsey has retired from football at the age of 35.

The versatile attacker was one of the most important players in the Club's Premier League history, and is our top scorer in the competition with 50 goals to his name.

His first Premier League strike was one of his most important, netting the winner at Craven Cottage in the penultimate game of 2006/07 to stave off the very real threat of relegation.

The following three campaigns were some of the most eventful in the history of Fulham Football Club, with Dempsey playing a key role.

He established himself as an important squad member as the Whites pulled off the Great Escape in 2008, scoring six times and starting each of those famous wins at the end of the season against Manchester City, Birmingham City and Portsmouth.

Dempsey bettered his goal tally the following term as Roy Hodgson led the Club to a highest ever top flight finish of seventh. The highlight of his eight strikes came when he hit a brace in a 2-2 draw with local rivals Chelsea at the Cottage.

He continued to improve on a personal note, notching nine times in the 2009/10 season as we reached the UEFA Europa League Final. His incredible chip against Juventus to seal our place in the Quarter-Finals will never be forgotten, and will undoubtedly go down as one of the best – if not the best – goal in our history.

An eighth place finish in the league followed in 2010/11, with Dempsey on target 13 times, before he embarked on potentially the best season of his career under Martin Jol.

Dempsey's 17 Premier League goals in 2011/12 is the best ever for a Fulham player, while he ended the season with 23 strikes in all competitions to his name. January 2012 was particularly prosperous for him, as he hit hat-tricks in consecutive fixtures at Craven Cottage.

Spells at Tottenham Hotspur and Seattle Sounders followed thereafter, although he did return to SW6 on loan for the second half of the 2013/14 campaign, meaning his Fulham record reads: 231 appearances, 60 goals.

"After a lot of thought, my family and I have decided that this is the right time for me to step away from the game," Dempsey said. "I'd like to thank all of the teammates, coaches and support staff that I've worked with throughout my career.

"It has always been my dream to make it as a pro. I'm grateful to have been on this ride. I would like to thank all of the fans who have supported me throughout my career with the New England Revolution, Fulham, Tottenham, Seattle Sounders and the U.S. men's national team.

"Y'all have always made me feel at home, and it is something that I will always remember."

Everyone at Fulham would like to wish Clint all the very best in his retirement, and thank him for his incredible efforts during his time at the Club.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/august/29/clint-dempsey-retires

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey: Former Tottenham and Fulham forward retires aged 35

Dempsey is Fulham's all-time leading Premier League goalscorer with 50 goals

Former Tottenham and Fulham forward Clint Dempsey has retired at the age of 35, ending a 15-year professional career.

Dempsey holds the record for the most Premier League goals scored by an American with 57. He also scored 57 times for the USA - a record he shares with Landon Donovan.

"It has always been my dream to make it as a pro," Dempsey said in a statement.

"I'm grateful to have been on this ride."

The Texan made his professional debut in 2004 with New England Revolution before moving to England to join Fulham in 2007.

He scored 50 league goals in his five years at Craven Cottage and was part of the team that finished as Europa League runners-up in 2010 - making him the first American to play in a major European final.

A move to Spurs followed in 2012 but he played just one season in north London before joining Seattle Sounders, where he has spent the past five years.

"I would like to thank all of the fans who have supported me throughout my career with the New England Revolution, Fulham, Tottenham, Seattle Sounders and the US men's national team," Dempsey added.

"Y'all have always made me feel at home, and it is something that I will always remember."

Dempsey won 141 caps for the United States after making his debut in 2004, and made history by scoring for the national side at three successive World Cups in 2006, 2010 and 2014.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45347237

WhiteJC

What Martin Jol once told Dimitar Berbatov about Tottenham star Mousa Dembele

It's six years since the Belgian walked through the doors at Tottenham Hotspur

With it being the sixth anniversary of Mousa Dembele signing from Tottenham Hotspur for Fulham we've taken a walk down memory lane to our interview with Martin Jol.

football.london spoke to the former Spurs boss last year and he gave an insight into his relationship with Dembele, who played for him at Fulham.

As well as being the manager credited with beginning the Tottenham resurgence that has culminated in the Mauricio Pochettino era, the Dutchman also had a more direct influence on some of the players in the current Spurs side.

He worked with Christian Eriksen, Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld when he was Ajax boss and then Dembele at Fulham. The Dutchman in fact played a key role in altering the course of two of those players' careers by switching their positions.

"I put Jan Vertonghen at the back because he was a midfield player at Ajax. He was at my old club RKC Waalwijk as well. I switched him to play at the back," he told football.london.

"I made Toby Alderweireld a regular player as well and it's lovely to see that they are probably the best pair in the Premier League now."

He added: "Christian Eriksen made his debut with me when he was 17 at Ajax. He's probably now one of the best number tens in England.

"I also converted Dembele from an attacking striker/winger into a midfield player. I did that at Fulham. That was the big change in his career and I'm sure he'd tell you the same."

The admiration Jol has for the Belgian maestro is clear and he revealed something he had told Dimitar Berbatov, a player he'd managed at both Spurs and Fulham, at White Hart Lane's farewell match against Manchester United last May.

"Dembele is probably one of the most gifted players I've ever had. I said that to Berbatov," said the Dutchman.

"I said 'You were probably my most gifted player I've ever seen, but Dembele is a very good second one'. Dembele could play for any top team in the world. He is so strong and he will never lose the ball. He is so good.

"I've known him for 15 years. He started as a kid in Belgium and then he came to Holland as a striker. Then he played on the wing. Can you imagine him playing on the right wing, a left-footer on the right?"

With Dembele having just a year remaining on his Tottenham contract this could end up being his final season at the club and he's a player that Spurs will do well to replace.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/players/mousa-dembele-spurs-news-jol-15088114

WhiteJC

Sessegnon To Start | 4-3-3 Fulham Predicted Lineup Vs Brighton And Hove

Fulham will make a short trip to East Sussex to take on Brighton and Hove Albion at the Amex Stadium on Saturday afternoon looking to build on their emphatic 4-2 win over Burnley from the last gameweek. However, it won't be easy for the London side to get a result this weekend with the Seagulls in such great form. Chris Hughton's men managed to get a victory over Manchester United which was followed by a narrow loss to Liverpool last Saturday.

Hence, we can expect Brighton to be up for this challenge which makes this Premier League affair a mouth-watering contest. Slaviša Jokanović is expected to deploy a 4-3-3 formation and might hand Ryan Sessegnon a start up top.

4-3-3 Fulham Predicted Lineup To Face Brighton And Hove

Defence

Marcus Bettinelli might get the nod to start ahead of Fabricio Agosto Ramírez on Saturday afternoon. The English shot-stopper shipped in two goals against Burnley last weekend so he would be desperate to bounce back in this game versus the Seagulls.

The defensive duo of Denis Odoi and Maxime Le Marchand should continue as the first-choice centre-backs for the Cottagers. The new summer arrival, Joe Bryan could start as the left-back while Timothy Fosu-Mensah would look to use his pace on the right side of Slaviša Jokanović's backline.

Midfield

The Fulham midfield would be comprised of André-Frank Zambo Anguissa, sitting as the holding midfielder. Both Jean Michaël Seri and Tom Cairney, playing ahead of Anguissa, would have to be creative with the ball and make some opportunities for their frontmen. The trio has already showcased their talents in the first few matches and has become quite a crucial part of Jokanović's team.

Attack

Jokanović's front three needs to deliver once again if the away side are to come away with a result from this upcoming gameweek. The terrific trio of Ryan Sessegnon, Aleksandar Mitrović and André Schürrle will hope to cause some problems for the resolute Brighton defenders. Both Mitrovic and Schurrle found the back of the net last weekend and would look to continue their goal-scoring run against Chris Hughton's team.

https://the4thofficial.net/2018/08/sessegnon-to-start-4-3-3-fulham-predicted-lineup-vs-brighton-and-hove/

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Spotlight: Clint Dempsey's Career At Fulham
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

Photo by Phil Cole/Getty Images

In this special episode, we looked back at the career of Clint Dempsey at Fulham. Dempsey announced his retirement from football, and we discussed his impact as a player. Co-hosts Emilio Di Nello and Mike Gregg shared their memories of Dempsey.

you can listen to the podcast here...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/8/29/17797660/cottage-talk-spotlight-clint-dempseys-career-at-fulham

WhiteJC

Alfie Mawson reveals how Gareth Southgate told him to leave Swansea if he wanted to be picked for England

Alfie Mawson played for Swansea last season in which they were relegated
    Fulham spent £20million in the summer bring Mawson to Craven Cottage
    The 24-year-old central defender now has playing for England in his sights
    England boss Gareth Southgate wants him playing regular top level football

Alfie Mawson has revealed how Gareth Southgate told him he had to leave Swansea if he wanted to be called up for England.

Mawson was part of the Swansea side that were relegated to the Championship last season before joining Fulham for £20million in the summer.

The 24-year-old defender was told by Southgate, who on Thursday names his side for games against Spain and Switzerland, that he needed to be playing in the Premier League to be considered for selection.

Defender Alfie Mawson left Swansea to join Fulham for £20million earlier this summer

Mawson said: 'The last time I spoke to him I was at Swansea in the thick of things in the relegation battle and he said realistically if you want to get back into it obviously the Premier League is a must.

'My first and foremost thing is to get into this side and I'm sure if I do well and I play well then Gareth will make a decision. I respect whatever decision he makes but I've had a taste for it and I would like to get the full thing.'

Gary Cahill's admission that he no longer wants to be selected for England has also given Mawson a boost.

Gareth Southgate told Mawson he needs to be playing regularly in the Premier League

He played 75 minutes in Fulham's Carabao Cup second round win over Exeter on Tuesday but knows he need to get into Slavisa Jokanovic's Premier League side before thinking more about England.

He said: 'I'm not going to get picked for England if I'm not even in the starting XI for the Prem side.

'So, for me, that's the most important thing and whatever I can do on top of that then fantastic. It's always an honour to get called up whatever age group for your country.

'But at the moment I'm in no rush for that one. My main aim is to get into the side and cement my position there.'

Mawson is also keen on building a central defensive partnership with Calum Chambers after he joined on loan from Arsenal. Mawson and Chambers played together in the European Under-21 Championship in Poland as England reached the semi-finals for the first time in four attempts.

Mawson pictured in England training ahead of the friendly against Italy back in March

The pair were picked impressed during the tournament, keeping out Rob Holding and Jack Stephens out of the side.

Mawson added: 'I know Calum from the England under-21s. We played in Europe together in Poland for the Euros last summer. We're really good pals and we've got a really good understanding and friendship off the pitch which comes onto the pitch because Cal's such a fantastic player.

'He's more of a technical player than myself. Normally I'm more of a talker and I think we work really well like we did for England and whatever the gaffer wants to do we'll respect [that] if he does it with me and Cal then we've got that understanding straightaway and it's always helpful to have that.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6111971/Alfie-Mawson-reveals-Gareth-Southgate-told-leave-Swansea.html

WhiteJC

Alfie Mawson looks to ignite England career with Fulham

Alfie Mawson is relishing the revival of his partnership with Calum Chambers at Fulham as he looks to force his way back into the England squad.

The 24-year-old made his debut for his new team in Tuesday's 2-0 EFL Cup victory over Exeter, and was joined in central defence by the on-loan Chambers, with whom he excelled for the England U21s.

Gareth Southgate, who on Thursday selects his England squad for fixtures against Spain and Switzerland, has told the uncapped Mawson he needs to be performing in the Premier League if he is to feature for England.

"The last time I spoke to (Southgate) I was at Swansea," Mawson said. "Realistically if you want to get back into (the squad) obviously the Premier League is a must.

"Which was always a positive coming here to a side that plays such exciting football. My first and foremost thing is to get into this side and I'm sure if I do well and I play well then Gareth will make a decision.

"I respect whatever decision he makes but I've had a taste for it (when being called up in March) and I would like to get the full thing.

"I'm not going to get picked for England if I'm not even in the starting XI for the Premier League side.

"That's the most important thing and whatever I can do on top of that, then fantastic. My main aim is to get into the side and cement my position.

"I know Calum from the England U21s. We're really good pals and we've got a really good understanding and friendship off the pitch which comes on to the pitch because Cal's such a fantastic player.

"He's more of a technical player. Normally I'm more of a talker and we work really well like we did for England and whatever (Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic) wants to do we'll respect.

"If he does it with me and Cal then we've got that understanding straightaway, and it's always helpful to have that."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11485302/alfie-mawson-looks-to-ignite-england-career-with-fulham