Sunday
Cardiff
2 - 3 Arsenal
Burnley
0 - 2 Man Utd
Watford
2 - 1 Tottenham

WhiteJC

Steve Sidwell likens Fulham's Jean Seri to Chelsea's World Cup winning star N'Golo Kante

Fulham ace Jean Seri has had an excellent start at the club.

Former Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell has heaped praise on new signing Jean Seri by comparing him to Chelsea's World Cup winning star N'Golo Kante (BT Sport Score).

Seri became one of Fulham's first signings of the summer, arriving at Craven Cottage from French side Nice. The Ivory coast international's move to west London represented a major coup for the club, and his performances so far this season have justified the hype surrounding his arrival.

Commenting on BT Sport Score Live, Sidwell said that he feels Fulham have got an excellent player on their hands, and and one who has similar attributes to Chelsea's dynamic holding midfielder N'Golo Kante.

"I've been very impressed. I've seen all their [Fulham's] games so far this season and he [Seri] has got that sort of Kante mould where he can do all the defensive work but also where he breaks play and gets forward. He scored a wonderful goal last week and he's got an assist today. Long may it live for Fulham," Sidwell said.

Seri is predominantly a deep-lying midfielder who can use his mobility to break up play and instigate attacks, but so far, he has also shown a willingness to burst forward and make a contribution in the final third.

Seri scored during Fulham's 4-2 win over Burnley last weekend, and he has followed that up with an excellent assist as he teed up Andre Schurrle's opener in the Cottagers' latest 2-2 draw at Brighton.

Seri is going to be a pivotal figure in Fulham's bid for Premier League survival this season, and the former Nice man has gotten off to a decent start with his new club - averaging 2.3 tackles and two key passes per game (Whoscored).

Fulham's draw with Brighton sees them take four points from their opening four games of the season – a promising start and one which they can build upon on their return from the international break.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/09/02/tt-steve-sidwell-likens-new-fulhams-jean-seri-to-chelseas-world/

WhiteJC

Alfie Mawson scouting report - is the former Swansea defender the solution to Fulham's problems?

The former Swansea and Brentford centre back made his first Premier League appearance for the Cottagers

There was a sigh of relief around west London when Fulham signed Alfie Mawson during the final week of the transfer window.

It was widely acknowledged the Cottagers would have to upgrade their defence's depth and quality to compete in the Premier League, particularly with the departures of Matt Targett, Tomas Kalas and Ryan Fredericks at the end of the play-off winning season.

However, the 24-year-old arrived at the club still recovering from a knee surgery he underwent in May. Slavisa Jokanovic acknowledged after Fulham's friendly against Celta Vigo that the centre-half would not play until September - other than 75 minutes against Exeter in the Carabao Cup - he was right.

Here's how Mawson performed against Brighton:

Organisation and leadership

While Mawson played for a relegated Swansea side, the fact he was the highest regarded defender at the club says a lot. Despite their poor season the Swans kept 9 clean sheets including in matches against Tottenham and Liverpool.

He played in a very organised Paul Clement team and that was immediately present with Mawson being a hub of communication for the Whites backline. He brought a vocal element to the team that is simply missing when Tim Ream is absent from the first XI.

The moment that stood out most was in the middle of the first half when Brighton were bombarding the Fulham box with corners. The Seagulls weren't threatening Marcus Bettinelli too much at that stage but the former Brentford defender was clearly unhappy with the untidiness of the defending and made his feelings felt to everyone around him when the danger was over.

Playing the Fulham way

Perhaps an unfair match to judge Mawson's ability in this department as Fulham were unable to impose the dominant passing style onto Chris Hughton's team.

In the early stages the £20m purchase was ambitious albeit slightly out of touch with his passing. The 24-year-old attempted a nice little lob from defence to Maxime Le Marchand at left back and put it straight out of play.

After that it was hard to fault his interchanges. The 6ft 2ins star completed 52 passes at a success rate 91.2%, including one key pass. The centre back showed a range of passing that expressed that he could build up play and has the scope for a killer through ball.

There is certainly potential for his distribution to be an asset for Fulham this season, with his ability looking greater than other Cottagers' defenders other than Le Marchand who has offered some rapid interplay between the lines in recent weeks - though did crucially give the ball to Anthony Knockaert in the build up to the Seagull's opening goal. Mawson did look more comfortable carrying the ball than his French counterpart however.

Fitness

The ex-England U21 international did not seem certain to start after being substituted against Exeter in the Carabao Cup. Jokanovic may have had an eye on Saturday's match but it did give the sense Mawson is not yet up to full speed.

He started the game against Brighton exhibiting some of his best qualities however. The new signing looked impossibly strong, easing the opposition off of the ball and looking plenty competitive.

The only think lacking in the Uxbridge-born defender's performance was that hint of agility and turn of pace that will hopefully come through more appearances. The international break will do no harm in bedding Mawson into the team and 165 minutes of competitive football in under a week can only be a good sign.

Verdict: A solid display from Mawson that planted the seed for him becoming a key man in the Fulham starting XI. His qualities particularly shine and seem necessary in the continued absence of Tim Ream.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/alfie-mawson-fulham-premier-league-15100982

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Post Match Show: Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Fulham
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

This is our post match show of the 2-2 draw for Fulham against Brighton & Hove Albion.  During the show, co-hosts Max Cohen, and Mike Gregg, who was at the AMEX Stadium analyzed the key moments of this match. On top of that we were joined by Simon Cox, who is a Brighton & Hove Albion supporter,,and we got his perspective on this match.

We also shared and discussed the Friends Of Fulham Man Of The Match Poll.

you can listen to the podcast here...
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cottagetalk/2018/09/02/cottage-talk-post-match-show-brighton-hove-albion-vs-fulham

WhiteJC

Statistical analysis – Fulham's £25m superstar is setting the Premier League alight with his displays

Why Seri's performances suggest he can be influential at Fulham this season

Fulham have had an indifferent start to the season but they restored some positivity by beating Burnley 4-2 last Sunday and grabbing a point against Brighton. They showed what kind of football will be on display at Craven Cottage in the first two games as well, only to miss a few chances and being defensively weak.

However, against the Clarets, the intent was clear from Slavisa Jokanovic's men. They played with high-intensity, passing was crisp and direct through balls were fed for the attackers to create chances from. The midfield, led by a diminutive Jean Michael Seri, was on top of almost everything.

The Ivorian was bought this summer, for a club-record fee of £25m and he has already stamped his authority in the team. A wonder strike to open the scoring against Burnley was just an example as to how he can really influence every phase of Fulham's play.

Seri is a conducter of an orchestra, at the centre, directing everything.

Here we take a look at some of his stats for the season thus far:

Stats and tactical analysis – Jean Michael Seri
Pass Accuracy – 90.6%

It is an astonishing number given the fact that Premier League games are mostly congested in central areas of the pitch. And from there, Seri has accomplished a pass accuracy of over 90%. This is just an indication of how the 27-year-old can control the tempo of the game on his own, as he doesn't waste possession and also fend people off in tight areas.

Key Pass rate – 1 per game

This stat signals that Seri is just not a sideways passer. He has the eye to needle through balls for attackers, who can then create chances.

Tackle and Interception rate – 2.3 and 2.3 per game respectively

For a midfield player in the Premier League, things you do off the ball is equally important. The Ivorian has adapted to this trade with aplomb. This tackle and interception rate is right up there with some of the best in the business.

He has made 18 recoveries of lost possession, which is quite good given the fact that Fulham play open football, where ball recovery in midfield is vital.

Seri heat-map

The above image shows Seri's heat-map against Burnley – an epitome of a complete midfield player controlling the general play of the team.

The Cottagers have got a coup for such a low price. They just need to make sure they make correct use of the player, and rewards will be there to see over the course of the season.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/09/03/statistical-analysis-fulhams-25m-superstar-is-setting-the-premier-league-alight-with-his-displays/

WhiteJC

Fulham star Aleksandar Mitrovic claims Brighton's second penalty should not have been given

Aleksandar Mitrovic complains to referee Lee Probert about the award of Brighton's first penalty on Saturday. Picture by PW Sporting Photography

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has criticised the handball decision against him which gave Brighton their second penalty on Saturday....

Mitrovic was adjudged to have handled the ball - with replays showing the decision appeared to be correct - but speaking after the game, the Cottagers star was adamant the ball hit his chest.

Glenn Murray scored from the spot to earn Brighton a 2-2 draw, after Pascal Gross had a penalty saved by Fulham keeper Marcus Bettinelli in the first half. On the second penalty decision, Mitrovic said: "We made mistakes to bring them into the game and then there were some mistakes from the referee with the handball, I didn't even touch the ball with my arm.

"I still cannot believe it. It hit my chest. I can swear with everything I didn't touch the ball with my arm. "It was unbelievable. The referee said it definitely touched my arm but it didn't. "I'm really disappointed but that's life, that's football. We have to keep going. "It's a good point. We should have got all three but that's what it is.

"I'm happy with my goal but not the result. I'm a team player so I'd take three points without a goal but I think we had a good game, especially in the first half."

Read more at: https://www.westsussextoday.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-star-aleksandar-mitrovic-claims-brighton-s-second-penalty-should-not-have-been-given-1-8621632