more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (05/09/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 05, 2018, 06:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Wembley Stadium to ban betting sponsors under sale plans

The UK government has set out plans to prohibit gambling sponsorship deals at Wembley Stadium, should billionaire Shahid Khan prove successful in his bid to purchase the venue.

Khan, who also owns English Premier League football club Fulham, has offered £600m (€665.3m/$769.6m) for the stadium and the English Football Association (FA) is expected to make a decision on the bid before the end of the year.

However, as reported by The Times in May, Khan would not be permitted to sign a naming rights deal for the venue until 2057, with the FA keen to protect Wembley's status as the 'home of English football'.

The Times has now said that gambling sponsors would also not be allowed at the stadium, due to the FA's position on such deals.

In June 2017, the FA opted to cut short a partnership with Ladbrokes following a re-examination of its approach to such commercial deals.

Current FA rules prohibit players, coaches and referees from betting on football anywhere in the world. The FA decided that it should not associate with betting companies due to this zero-tolerance approach to gambling.

The FA agreed to continue working with Ladbrokes and other bookmakers on sharing information on suspect betting patterns, as part of a wider effort to tackle match-fixing in football.

The move followed a high-profile case involving former England international Joey Barton, who was handed an 18-month ban from the sport after admitting to a misconduct charge related to betting.

Barton, now manager of third-tier, League 1 club Fleetwood Town, was found to have placed over 1,200 bets on matches between March 26, 2006, and May 13, 2016, which is in direct conflict with strict FA betting rules.

http://www.igamingbusiness.com/news/wembley-stadium-ban-betting-sponsors-under-sale-plans

WhiteJC

Alfie Mawson admits that Jean Michael Seri frightens him

The two Fulham new boys played together for the first time in Saturday's 2-2 draw away at Brighton in the Premier League.

Alfie Mawson has admitted that his new Fulham teammate Jean Michael Seri is frightening to play with.

"Seri is a great player," said Mawson, according to the Evening Standard.

"He frightens you sometimes - you hold your breath watching him, but he always gets it right. He brings composure in midfield."

The Ivorian has certainly done that so far this season as the standout performer for Fulham and one of the real standouts in the Premier League overall.

Seri was a surprise signing for Fulham from Nice this summer, with many people believing he was destined for a 'bigger' club. He nearly, for instance, joined Barcelona a year ago only for the deal to collapse late on, leaving Seri furious with Nice.

For a newly promoted club to sign him makes it one of the greatest coups of the summer in all of Europe, and one that could make the difference for Fulham this season as they try to consolidate themselves in the Premier League.

Seri recently explained how he ended up at Craven Cottage and, in doing so, demonstrated the perfect attitude to lead a club in Fulham's position.

"My president calls me, he says, 'Fulham want you, do you want to go?'", Seri told The Times. "I say, 'If they want me, they respect me. The big clubs want me but Fulham show they want me'."

It is just another reason why Seri is already looking like a firm contender for signing of the season.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/09/04/ac-alfie-mawson-admits-that-jean-michael-seri-frightens-him/

WhiteJC

Millwall-Fulham EFL Cup tie lacks excitement – and boss explains why

Millwall will face Fulham in the EFL Cup – with the tie taking place in the week commencing September 24.

The west London club won promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs last season and are one of only two sides to have beaten the Lions at their Den home since November 4 2017, the other being 10-man Swansea on Saturday.

Second-half goals from Ryan Sessegnon, Kevin McDonald and Aleksandar Mitrovic sent Millwall to defeat in their penultimate home game of last season.

Lions manager Neil Harris said: "In another season this would be a really exciting draw – a Premier League club and a derby at home. But because we played them twice last season, once right at the end, there is not the same excitement.

"It is still a cracking draw. I'm delighted to be at home. Fulham have added some unbelievable players over the summer and we saw what a great team they had last season.

"It's going to be tough, but you expect it to be tough when you are in the last 32 of a competition. I'm certainly looking forward to the challenge."

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/millwall-fulham-efl-cup-tie-lacks-excitement-and-boss-explains-why/

WhiteJC

Player experiencing 'lack of confidence' at Fulham, coach insists his faith remains regardless

The international break can bring a nice change for footballers who aren't getting the minutes they want at club level.

One of those right now would be Stefan Johansen, as far as the Norwegian media are concerned. The Fulham midfielder has only picked up 41 minutes of Premier League football so far this season, but he did play the whole match in the EFL Cup against Exeter last week.

Last season Johansen started 46 Championship games for Fulham, then the Cottagers recruited heavily in midfield during the summer and it's unlikely he's going to be more than a back-up player unless something changes.

Norway's Nettavisen say the 27 year old is experiencing a 'lack of confidence' at Fulham, but the country's national manager Lars Lagerbäck is standing by his captain.

Lagerbäck has been quoted by Nettavisen as saying: "If he starts the match (against Cyprus) he is the captain, there is no doubt. He got 90 minutes in the league cup and, as I said, I consider it so that all 23 of the squad are appropriate to start."

Insisting he isn't concerned with the lack of minutes being handed out to his skipper at the moment, the national manager further explained that, from what he's seen, everyone in the squad is in top condition and ready to be picked.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/player-experiencing-lack-confidence-fulham-coach-insists-faith-remains-regardless/

WhiteJC

Millwall Tie Confirmed

The date of Fulham's Third Round Carabao Cup tie against Millwall has now been confirmed as Tuesday 25th September, kick-off 7:45pm.

A discounted ticket price will be available for Season Ticket Holders, when tickets are purchased in advance. All prices for this match are listed below:

Category   Season Ticket Holder Price*   General Sale
Adults   £12   £15
Over 61s   £8   £10
Under 16s   £4   £5

Further information relating to on sale dates will be detailed on fulhamfc.com in due course.

*Available to 18/19 Season Ticket Holders only, when tickets are purchased in advance of matchday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/september/04/millwall-tie-confirmed

WhiteJC

Fulham keeper Bettinelli receives surprise England call-up

Marcus Bettinelli's first England call-up was confirmed by the Football Association on Tuesday afternoon. Credit: PA

Marcus Bettinelli's first England call-up was confirmed by the Football Association on Tuesday afternoon.

The 26-year-old was part of the under-21s set-up when Southgate was in charge, heading to the European Championships with them in 2015.

Bettinelli won just one cap for the Young Lions and started the last two Premier League matches for Slavisa Jokanovic's promoted side, having failed to make the first two squads.

Jordan Pickford, Jack Butland and uncapped Alex McCarthy trained with Southgate's squad at St George's Park on Tuesday.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2018-09-04/fulham-keeper-bettinelli-in-line-for-surprise-england-call-up/

WhiteJC

Bettinelli's England Call-Up

Marcus Bettinelli has today received his first call-up to the senior England squad ahead of their two games against Spain and Switzerland.

Having just reached 100 appearances for the Club last weekend, Bettinelli saved a penalty and was named Man of the Match by the Fulham fans for his performance against Brighton & Hove Albion.

The Fulham goalkeeper has previously worked with Gareth Southgate having been a part of his England U21 squad that travelled to the 2015 Euros in the Czech Republic.

England will play their first UEFA Nations League game against Spain at Wembley on Saturday 8th September and then a few days later they will face Switzerland in a friendly on Tuesday 11th September at the King Power Stadium in Leicester.

Commenting on the news, Bettinelli told fulhamfc.com: "I'm extremely proud to be called up, it's always been a dream of mine since I was a young boy.

"I understand the goalkeepers in the England squad are very good and I'm happy to be involved in that, whatever my position may be and I'm just looking forward to meeting up with the team today and I'm really happy, really excited and extremely proud.

"I worked with Gareth at U21 level and Steve Holland is still with him, so I've worked with a lot of the backroom staff at England and it will be good to see them and work with them again so it'll be a fantastic experience and one that I'm really looking forward to."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/september/04/bettinelli-england-call-up

WhiteJC

England call up Marcus Bettinelli as Adam Lallana withdraws

Marcus Bettinelli saved a penalty in Fulham's game against Brighton on Saturday

England have called up Fulham's uncapped goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli for the games against Spain and Switzerland, while midfielder Adam Lallana has withdrawn.

Bettinelli, 26, was not in Fulham's squad for the first two matches of the season but has regained his place.

First-choice keeper Jordan Pickford did not take part in the squad's main training session on Tuesday.

Lallana has returned to Liverpool to have a groin strain assessed.

The 30-year-old, who did not feature at the World Cup after an injury-disrupted season in 2017-18, joins Raheem Sterling in withdrawing from the squad. The Manchester City attacker pulled out on Monday with a back problem.

Gareth Southgate's side face Spain at Wembley in their opening Uefa Nations League game on Saturday, before playing Switzerland at Leicester's King Power Stadium on Tuesday.

Bettinelli has come through the ranks at Fulham, the club he joined as a youngster, and made his debut in 2014 following loan spells at National League side Dartford and Accrington Stanley in League Two.

Later that year he was called up to the England Under-21 side that was then managed by Southgate.

His call up to the senior side comes just nine days after making his Premier League debut for the Cottagers, after starting the season behind new signing Fabri as first choice for the goalkeeper's jersey.

Revised England squad

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Alex McCarthy (Southampton), Marcus Bettinelli (Fulham)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Harry Maguire (Leicester City) Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45413352

WhiteJC

England call up Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli for first time... but who is the 26-year-old with just two Premier League starts to his name?

Marcus Bettinelli will join up with England at St George's Park on Tuesday
    The 26-year-old made his Premier League debut for Fulham against Burnley
    Sportsmail answers the important questions on England's new shot-stopper

Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli has been called up to the England squad ahead of matches against Spain and Switzerland, the Football Association has announced.

The 26-year-old, who made his Premier League debut against Burnley last Sunday, was told the news before Tuesday's training session.

Gareth Southgate has followed Bettinelli's development in west London and knows him from his time as Under-21 manager, for whom the goalkeeper has one cap.

Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli has been called up to the England squad for the first time

Bettinelli will report to St George's Park later on Tuesday and joins fellow goalkeepers Jordan Pickford, Jack Butland and Alex McCarthy in the squad.

Pickford, the World Cup No 1, is expected to start for Saturday's Nations League match against Spain, but Southgate may hand the other shot-stoppers a chance to impress in next week's friendly against Switzerland.

News of Bettinelli's call-up follows the withdrawal of Liverpool midfielder Adam Lallana, who had hoped to re-establish himself in the squad after missing the World Cup through injury. The 30-year-old suffered a groin injury on Tuesday and will return to his club.

Never heard of England's new goalkeeper? Sportsmail takes a look at the Fulham star in detail...

What has he done so far?
Bettinelli has been a late bloomer by today's standards and will be 27 next May. He has 180 senior appearances to his name, 83 of which came during loan spells with National League side Dartford (2012-13) and League Two's Accrington Stanley (2013-14).

He became Fulham's No 1 goalkeeper in 2014-15 and started 39 Championship games but was ousted by Andy Lonergan for the next campaign. He remained at Craven Cottage as a reserve goalkeeper until finding himself back in favour in their promotion campaign last season, starting 27 games.

Bettinelli was one of Fulham's promotion heroes as they won a place in the Premier League

What's his background?
As his surname suggests, Bettinelli has Italian roots through his father but is very much a London lad. He was born in the south London district of Camberwell before joining Fulham's youth ranks.

His dad, Vic, was a handy player himself before injury brought a premature end to his career. He has since qualified as a goalkeeping coach and has worked for Crystal Palace, Crawley and currently works at Fulham with the Under 18s.

How did he catch Gareth Southgate's eye?
Southgate worked with the goalkeeper during his time as manager of England's Under-21s side. He handed him his one and only cap for the Young Lions in 2015, but was more impressed with his work around the training ground. Bettinelli has developed a lot since then and it appears Southgate has been watching closely.

Bettinelli made his only appearance for England's U21s against the Czech Republic in 2015

And... is he Fulham's No 1 this season?
Well, it's complicated.

Despite conceding just 20 goals in 27 Championship appearances last season, Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic signed two new goalkeepers as part of his £100million summer spending spree.

They spent £5m on to sign Fabri from Besiktas before Sergio Rico joined on loan from Sevilla. That suggested Bettinelli would be third-choice and he was left out of the matchday squad for their opening game against Crystal Palace.

Speaking of the situation in August, Jokanovic said: 'I have three goalkeepers and I can choose only one of them. One of them will be in the stands, one will be on the bench and one will be in the goal.

'The situation for Marcus Bettinelli is like the situation for the other goalkeepers, and like other parts of the squad.

'I am happy with three quality goalkeepers. This is a fantastic situation for a head coach. The three keepers must fight for the position and I will decide what is best for my team.'

But after two defeats, Jokanovic withdrew Fabri and gave Bettinelli a chance to shine. They have taken four points from the two games he has started with Bettinelli saving a penalty in the recent 2-2 draw with Brighton.

So, for now, he appears to be their first-choice.

Bettinelli saves a penalty from Pascal Gross of Brighton and Hove Albion during a 2-2 draw

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6130839/England-call-Fulham-goalkeeper-Marcus-Bettinelli.html

WhiteJC

Five things you may not know about new England call-up Marcus Bettinelli

Fulham keeper has been called into the England squad.

Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli has been called up to the England squad ahead of the matches against Spain and Switzerland.

The 26-year-old has got the call, despite Jordan Pickford, Jack Butland and Alex McCarthy all training on Tuesday.

Here's five things you might not know about Bettinelli.

Fulham through and through
Born in south London, Bettinelli joined Fulham as a youngster and made his way through the ranks. He had to wait until 2014 for his debut, though, coming in a League Cup game with Brentford. He enjoyed a brilliant campaign, which earned him an England Under-21 call-up, selected by Gareth Southgate. After a couple of seasons in and out of the side, he was an important member of the Fulham team that won promotion to the Premier League last term.

Premier League rookie
Bettinelli's call-up has come just nine days after he made his Premier League debut for the Cottagers. He had started behind Fabri in the pecking order this season, but got a start against Burnley last Sunday and then followed it up by saving a penalty in the 2-2 draw at Brighton on Saturday.

Non-league and lower league grounding
Like many of England's squad, Bettinelli has humble beginnings. His first taste of senior football was on loan at National League Dartford in 2012, where he made 35 appearances. The next year saw him back out on loan, this time at Accrington where he played 41 times in League Two.

Family affair
It helps if your dad is a goalkeeping coach and Betinelli's dad Vic has had a massive impact on his development. Vic played at non-league level before getting into coaching, where he worked under Steve Coppell at Crystal Palace. He was brought to Craven Cottage by Chris Coleman and worked with the first team before moving into the academy, where he still remains.

Top prankster
They say goalkeepers are a crazy bunch and Bettinelli loves a prank if his Twitter page is anything to go by. In one trick he proved he would be a nightmare to room with as he waited patiently by team-mate Matt Smith's bed in order to give him a fright.

http://sport.bt.com/football/five-things-you-may-not-know-about-new-england-call-up-marcus-bettinelli-S11364293344711

WhiteJC

Scotland midfielder Kevin McDonald focused on Belgium test

The Red Devils finished third at the World Cup.

Kevin McDonald believes Scotland's quest to reach the 2020 European Championship starts with the friendly against Belgium on Friday night.

The World Cup semi-finalists are preparing for the Nations League opener against Albania on Monday night, a newly-formed UEFA tournament which acts as a second chance to reach the Euros.

The 29-year-old Fulham midfielder, whose one cap so far came against Costa Rica in a friendly at Hampden Park last March, acknowledged the prowess of the Red Devils but sees the match as the beginning of what he hopes will be a successful campaign.

The former Dundee player said: "We know it is a long campaign and it starts on Monday but in other ways it starts on Friday and we are building towards that.

"We are playing Belgium on Friday night which is a tough game for anyone.

"We have to go about our business in a positive way. We have a new squad here and it is all about getting game time together.

"We have a massive game coming up on Monday but Friday night will be the time to test things out and we have to go and put on a show and get the fans behind us.

"It is good to test yourself against this opposition, it's what you want to do as a footballer.

"We are not going there to make up the numbers we are there to play."

McDonald is enjoying life in the Premier League after coming up from the Championship with Fulham last season.

He previously reached the top flight with Burnley but they were relegated the following season and McDonald knows more is expected of the London club, who spent over £100million during the summer transfer window.

He said: "It is much different this time. Definitely.

"It is so much more quicker, technical. At Burnley we kind of winged it a bit and it didn't pay off, we went straight back down which wasn't the best.

"But this time, I am personally a lot more confident and as a team we are a lot more confident.

"When a club spends £100 million that has just been promoted, there are definitely expectation levels.

"But we know within our team that first and foremost you have to stay up.

"That's the way it is. In the first season in the Premier League you have to stay up, that's massive and any place above that is a bonus.

"But I am sure the fans and the media from outside is seeing that Fulham have spent £100 million they are going to give it a right go.

"But we know ourselves where we are at, we have to go and give it our best shot."

http://sport.bt.com/football/scotland-midfielder-kevin-mcdonald-focused-on-belgium-test-S11364293371748

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon and co greeted by Gareth Southgate's men as they train at St George's Park

England's youngsters got to spend time with the senior squad while training
    Both teams are using St George's Park during the international break
    The youth side play Holland at home and Latvia away in European qualifiers
    The seniors play Spain in Nations League and a friendly against Switzerland

England's Under-21 side took time out of training to visit their senior counterparts as both teams gear up for the latest round of international fixtures.

Aidy Boothroyd's Young Lions, featuring Premier League stars James Maddison, Ryan Sessegnon and Demarai Gray, were greeted by full internationals including Marcus Rashford, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Jesse Lingard.

Both sides are currently based at St George's Park for training ahead of crunch fixtures this week.

Tammy Abraham greets Marcus Rashford while the Manchester United star works on a bike

The Under 21s face two important fixtures as they aim to seal Euros qualification

Both squads shared a handshake and a few words, with Leicester club-mates James Maddison, with the Under-21s, and Harry Maguire exchanging a hug.

The Under 21s host Holland on Thursday in a Euro qualifier, before Gareth Southgate's side take on Spain at Wembley in their first Nations League game two days later.

Boothroyd's side are currently unbeaten six games into their qualifying campaign, with five wins and a draw.

They drew 1-1 in the reverse fixture in the Netherlands back in September 2017.

They also comfortably beat Latvia 3-0 in their last outing thanks to strikes from Demarai Gray, Tammy Abraham and Kasey Palmer.

The youth team finish their qualifying campaign with a double-header in October.

Their final home game is on October 11, playing Andorra in Chesterfield before visiting Scotland five days later to conclude the campaign.

Ryan Sessegnon leads his squad-mates into the gym as they meet their senior counterparts

Aidy Boothroyd looks on as his charges prepare for their upcoming qualifying matches

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6131151/England-21s-meet-big-boys-Ryan-Sessegnon-greeted-Gareth-Southgates-men.html

WhiteJC

12 players we think will win their first England caps in 2018

Ahead of the Three Lions' first internationals since the World Cup, Greg Lea selects a dozen uncapped hopefuls who could make their senior bow before the year's out

James Maddison (Leicester)

Maddison has made a seamless step up from Championship to Premier League, establishing himself as one of the first names on Claude Puel's teamsheet after just four top-flight outings. The attacking midfielder possesses wonderful technical ability and excels at both creating and converting chances, as demonstrated by his return of 14 goals and eight assists for Norwich last term.

There's no room for a true No.10 in Gareth Southgate's 3-5-2 formation, but Maddison could play in a slightly deeper midfield role if the England boss sticks with the same setup he used at the World Cup.

Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham)

Sessegnon was an outside bet for England's 23-man World Cup squad, but Southgate sensibly opted against including the then-17-year-old in his travelling party. The Fulham wideman hadn't even played a Premier League game at that point, but the Cottagers' promotion through the play-offs means he now has a stage befitting his prodigious talent.

Now 18, Sessegnon plays with a maturity belying his tender years and would no doubt take the transition to international football in his stride. He's versatile too, capable of playing in any number of roles on the left flank or even as an inverted winger on the right.

Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund)

With Bundesliga clubs more willing to blood youngsters in the first team than their Premier League counterparts, it's no surprise that an increasing number of young English players are making the move over to Germany.

Sancho is the best example of a teenage talent who's thrived overseas, having made 13 Bundesliga appearances for Borussia Dortmund since leaving Manchester City in summer 2017. A world champion with England's under-17s, the London-born forward can't be too far away from a first call-up at senior level. Southgate will certainly be keeping a close eye on him.

Mason Holgate (Everton)

Everton agreed loan deals for Kurt Zouma and Yerry Mina at the end of the summer transfer window, but Marco Silva has hitherto stuck with the centre-backs he inherited. Holgate began the opening-day draw with Wolves on the bench, but he's started the Toffees' last two Premier League matches and looks set to keep his place in the starting XI for the foreseeable future.

Young, adaptable (he can also play at right-back) and comfortable with the ball at his feet, Holgate ticks many of the boxes Southgate has based his selection policy on since taking charge in 2016.

Aaron Wan-Bissaka (Crystal Palace)

Potentially, one for security at this point: Wan-Bissaka is also eligible for DR Congo, so England may look to tie him up sooner rather than later. But despite being sent off against Liverpool and therefore missing the 2-1 loss to Watford through suspension, the 20-year-old was voted Palace's player of the month for August. A call-up to England's under-21 squad has been his reward.

The tough-tackling right-back has picked up where he left off last season, when he grasped his opportunity with both hands after an injury crisis saw the Eagles academy product forced into action in February. Wan-Bissaka faces stiff competition from Kieran Trippier, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Nathaniel Clyne, though, and his task will be made even harder if Kyle Walker returns to his natural position.

Phil Foden (Manchester City)

Voted player of the tournament when England won the Under-17 World Cup last year, it is a matter of when rather than if Foden receives his first full international cap. The Manchester City man is expected to receive more game time under Pep Guardiola this term, although he's still awaiting his first start in the Premier League.

Foden is an incredibly gifted youngster who's already been awarded the moniker of 'Stockport Iniesta', and could be an England mainstay for years to come. It would be a major surprise if he wasn't included in one of Southgate's squads before the end of 2018.

Demarai Gray (Leicester)

Gray has had to remain patient for regular minutes since joining Leicester midway through their title-winning campaign of 2015/16, but Riyad Mahrez's departure in the summer means he will almost certainly improve upon his 17 Premier League starts last term. He's already off the mark for the season too, having scored the equaliser as Leicester came from behind to beat Southampton 2-1.

The former Birmingham winger netted six goals in 18 games for England Under-21s and now looks more ready than ever to step up to the senior squad.

Jack Grealish (Aston Villa)

Grealish's international future was a hot topic a couple of years ago – the Aston Villa playmaker is eligible for both England and the Republic of Ireland. He ultimately pledged his allegiance to the Three Lions and the country of his birth, but a series of off-field misdemeanours checked his progress as the Villans dropped out of the top flight.

Grealish was back to his very best last season, though, and he could soon join the exclusive club of England internationals who won their first cap while playing in the second tier. The 22-year-old came close to joining Tottenham in the summer, and Southgate will know it's only a matter of time before he returns to the Premier League – with or without Villa.

Callum Wilson (Bournemouth)

Wilson has made a terrific start to the Premier League season, scoring two goals in his first four appearances for unbeaten Bournemouth. The former Coventry marksman has bounced back brilliantly from two separate knee ligament injuries since the Cherries' promotion to the top flight, scoring eight league goals in 2017/18 and establishing himself as Eddie Howe's first-choice No.9.

With Jamie Vardy having stepped back from the international scene, there's a place up for grabs behind Harry Kane in the centre-forward pecking order – and Southgate is hardly swamped with attractive options. If Wilson keeps finding the net for Bournemouth, he'll surely get a chance to show what he can do.

Ben Chilwell (Leicester)

Luke Shaw has earned himself a recall to the England setup after a promising start to the season, with Ashley Young clearly not the future at left-back. Leicester's Chilwell, having relegated title-winning hero Christian Fuchs to the bench at the King Power Stadium, will hope his performances for Leicester haven't gone unnoticed.

A thoroughly modern full-back who regularly makes eye-catching bursts down the flanks, the Foxes youth product would be a perfect fit for a wing-back berth if Southgate sticks with the three-man defence that served England so well in Russia. His start to the season has been exceptional.

Alex McCarthy (Southampton)

McCarthy found himself out of the Southampton team this time last year, but he's now firmly established as Mark Hughes' No.1 and has seen his fine recent form rewarded with an England call-up for the upcoming meetings with Spain and Switzerland.

The 28-year-old remains behind Jordan Pickford and, in all likelihood, Jack Butland at present, but Southgate may hand him his first cap in next month's friendly against the Swiss – particularly as Stoke's Butland is now plying his trade in the Championship.

Alfie Mawson (Fulham)

Mawson was always unlikely to follow Swansea down to the Championship when the Welsh outfit lost their place in the Premier League last season, and Fulham won the battle for the centre-back's signature.

The 24-year-old didn't get on the pitch despite being included in Southgate's squad for the friendlies against the Netherlands and Italy in March, but the England boss should be more open to handing out debuts now there's no longer a major tournament on the horizon – which is good news for Mawson and the other 11 hopefuls listed here.

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/12-players-we-think-will-win-their-first-england-caps-2018?page=0%2C1#h733YQvkA7kqi8fD.99

WhiteJC

Andre Schurrle and Mario Gotze take advantage of international break to enjoy Spain getaway with partners

Andre Schurrle and Mario Gotze take partners on boat trip in Mallorca
    Former Borussia Dortmund team-mates were both left out of Germany squad
    Schurrle opened account for Fulham against Brighton while Gotze fights illness

While their international colleagues prepare for the latest round of fixtures, Andre Schurrle and Mario Gotze made the most of their time off by sunning themselves on a luxury boat in Mallorca.

Gotze was joined by wife Ann Kathrin, while Schurrle and girlfriend Anna Sharapova went for a dip in the water also.

Sharapova donned a white bikini with black trim, alongside her boyfriend's blue shorts.

Fulham winger Andre Schurrle dons a fetching red buoyancy aid as he dives into the sea

Kathrin, meanwhile opted for a purple bikini, with her husband opting to remain inside the cabin of their motorboat.

Four years ago the pair combined for Germany's extra-time winner against Argentina in the 2014 World Cup final.

Yet neither were involved in this summer's tournament and remain on the international wilderness.

Gotze and Shurrle played together at Borussia Dortmund last summer, but the latter moved on a two-year loan to Fulham this summer in a bid for more first-team chances.

In contrast, Gotze has face constant fitness battles since his famous goal, and has played just once this term as he seeks to overcome illness.

In total the former Bayern Munich player has earned 63 caps for his national side, scoring 17 times.

His friend has 22 strikes from 57 games, with the pair having both made their debuts together as late substitutes against Sweden in 2010.

In doing so, Gotze and Schurrle became the first two Germany internationals to have been born in the reunified country.

In their absence, their international colleagues begin their Nations League campaign at home to France on Thursday 6, before welcoming Peru for a friendly three days later.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6131387/Andre-Schurrle-Mario-Gotze-advantage-international-break-enjoy-Spain-getaway.html

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

Marek Rodák was on the wrong side of a 1-0 loss as Rotherham United travelled to Wigan Athletic on Saturday afternoon.

The goalkeeper had been in good form at the DW Stadium, particularly when he pulled off a fine double stop to deny Callum Connolly and Callum McManaman, but he was eventually beaten by James Vaughan in the 73rd minute.

The result leaves the Millers in the same position they started the day, 15th in the Championship.

There was better fortune for another Academy goalkeeper in League One, though, as Magnus Norman kept a clean sheet as Rochdale won 1-0 at Coventry City.

After Calvin Andrew had hit what proved to be the winner, Norman only had one notable save to make but he made it well from Luke Thomas.

He was withdrawn on 87 minutes after suffering a cut to the head, but manager Keith Hill expects him to recover quickly.

Rochdale moved above their opponents and into 14th position courtesy of the three points.

Elsewhere in the division, Stephen Humphrys played the first 73 minutes of Scunthorpe United's 1-1 draw away to Accrington Stanley.

Late goals from Matty Lund and Seamus Conneely ensured the spoils were shared, leaving the Iron in 18th spot.

In League Two, Elijah Adebayo stepped off the bench and earned Swindon Town a point in their 1-1 home draw with MK Dons.

The Milton Keynes outfit had led since the fourth minute but were pegged back deep into stoppage time when Adebayo smashed home his second goal of the season.

Despite the point, Town dropped down to 12th in the standings.

Away from the UK, Marcelo Djalo was sent off for two bookable offences in Extremadura's 2-0 defeat at Sporting Gijon, while Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson came on for the final 11 minutes of Vendsyssel FF's draw away to Aarhus Gymnastikforening.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/september/03/loan-round-up