watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (14/09/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 14, 2018, 06:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

'Don't call me Pep' - Fulham boss plays down Manchester City comparisons ahead of Etihad clash

Comparisons can be made between Manchester City and Fulham's style, but Jokanovic insists his style isn't based on Guardiola's

Slavisa Jokanovic has insisted he has not based Fulham's style of football on Pep Guardiola's brand, but has instead tried to develop his own.

The Cottagers are well-known for their free-flowing, attacking style of football and have gained plaudits for how they played their way out of the Championship and have continued to do so in the Premier League.

On Saturday, they come face to face with the team who, perhaps, play the best style of football in the world, Manchester City, and their manager, Guardiola.

The 47-year-old has implemented his style of football wherever he has managed, from Barcelona to Bayern Munich and then to the Etihad, something that has seen him winning trophy after trophy at every club.

Comparing both teams' style of play seems the obvious thing to do, but ahead of Fulham's trip to face the champions on Saturday, Jokanovic has insisted he doesn't use Guardiola's style, and has instead adapted the style the club plays to the players he has at the club.

However, he is extremely proud that everyone knows Fulham have a style of football, despite them being promoted only last season.

He said: "No, I don't use his [Guardiola] style of football, I try use my style or use my players.

"We cannot compare, he is one of the most expensive and successful managers too, he show in different places similar style and show it is possible to play that way that his team use in competition.

"All the credit for him, he made really important step for this game and for Fulham too, but copying people is usually a bad copy and it's not easy for us to catch this level what they show us is possible to catch.

"We try find our way and adapt ourselves and interpret what we have in our hands and try choose what we think and believe is best way for us to have opportunity to win the game.

(Image: Naomi Baker/Getty Images))

"All the people know how Manchester City play football and all the people know the style of this team.

"We are the promoted team, we want to use similar weapons and attack with position of the ball and I must be proud, because many people know what Fulham's style is too, and that can be our case too to be successful in the seasons behind us.

"Now, comparison is not easy for us with City, they have another records and other targets than us but we want to follow our way to play the football like different teams want to play their choice to compete and play the football."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/dont-call-pep-fulham-boss-15148840

WhiteJC

Premier League predictions: Lawro v actor Mark Wahlberg

Liverpool's trip to Wembley to play Tottenham is the pick of the weekend fixtures as the Premier League resumes after the international break.

The same game last season saw Spurs clinch an emphatic 4-1 win, with Reds defender Dejan Lovren enduring a particularly torrid time against Harry Kane, but will Jurgen Klopp's side fare any better on Saturday?

BBC Sport's football expert Mark Lawrenson says: "I have a feeling Liverpool will be Lovren-less this time.

"If I am right, it will be a big test for Joe Gomez at the heart of the Liverpool defence because I would expect Kane to play.

Lawro is making predictions for all 380 top-flight matches this season, against a variety of guests.

This week's guest is actor Mark Wahlberg, star of new action-thriller film Mile 22.

Wahlberg grew up playing American sports and admits football, or soccer as he calls it, is not his first love.

He struggled with a few Premier League team names when he was picking this week's scores - like Leicester Square, Waterford and Fullman for example.

But he has been a fan of the sport since watching the 2011 Women's World Cup, and showed a knack for predictions after becoming an avid viewer of the men's tournament in Russia this summer.

"I started watching it, and fell in love with it," Wahlberg told BBC Sport. "I was actually eight from nine with my predictions leading right up to the final game."

Lawro, be warned.

LAWRO'S PREDICTIONS

Man City v Fulham

Fulham let a two-goal lead slip against Brighton last time out and only ended up with a point, which is not a good omen ahead of a trip to Etihad Stadium.

But, like Cardiff's trip to Chelsea, this is a free hit for one of the newly-promoted sides.

Nobody is expecting them to get anything from the defending champions, and their aim will be to have something positive to take away from the day, even if it is not the result.

By that I mean not being torn apart and creating some chances themselves, but I don't see Fulham going to City and scoring so good luck with that.

Lawro's prediction: 3-0

Mark's prediction: Manchester City versus Fullman? Man City to win. 2-0

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45435523

WhiteJC

Four of Fulham's Best Players to Start 2018/19
Seri and Mitro are obvious picks, but who else were brilliant for the club so far?

Photo by Luke Walker/Getty Images for Premier League

Within four games of this Premier League season, Fulham are beginning to get comfortable in their new surroundings and are understanding what it takes to claim three points at this level. A 13th place position in the table isn't all too bad for a newly promoted side, but Slavisa Jokanovic knows that his side will have to do better to survive at this level. Still, there have been plenty of players paying early dividends at the club. Let's take a look at four of those key contributors.

Jean-Michael Seri

Let's be blunt about this. If Fulham's record signing didn't produce instantly, the environment surrounding Seri and the club would not have been a kind one whatsoever. Instead, Seri has instantly showed what he has delivered for Nice over the past two seasons and has continued his otherworldly production at Craven Cottage. An out-and-out number eight, the Ivorian International has already produced a goal-of-the-month screamer against Burnley followed by a beautiful chip pass for Andre Schürrle's goal against Brighton. Along with that, his tackling has increased as well while trying to provide defensive cover.

If there is one thing that has decreased, it is his dribbling prowess, but that might have to do with having to share roles and responsibilities with Tom Cairney in terms of attacking creativity. Still, Seri has been putting on a masterclass in midfield and some are already arguing that he is the greatest midfielder to ever put on a Fulham kit in Premier League history.

Aleksander Mitrovic

This, my friends, is what a leading Premier League scorer's radar looks like. I repeat, because it bears repeating. ALEKSANDER MITROVIC IS TIED FOR THE LEAGUE LEAD IN GOALS. Whether he can sustain this production the rest of the campaign is a story all onto itself. But for now, let's enjoy the fact that Mitrovic is maintaining his level of success from his second half loan spell last season and is hitting the prime of his career as a genuine world class center forward.

As of now, Mitrovic's xG total is a 2.9, which is only bettered by Callum Wilson and Mohamed Salah. It's still early days this Premier League season, and eventually he will have to get involved a tiny bit more on the creativity side of his game to open up the rest of Fulham's attack. But for now, Mitro truly is on fire.

Tom Cairney

Jean-Michael Seri might be grabbing all the attention in the world, but that hasn't stopped Tom Cairney playing well in his usual number 10 roll either. The Fulham captain is still a strong passer of the ball despite moving up a division and having better teammates around him. Luciano Vietto may have more key passes, plenty of other Fulham players dribble more than him and Seri is better at pinging long ball passes, but there's still not many that can be counted upon to put that all together in a complete package from midfield. It is that alone as to why Cairney is indispensible for Fulham and why he is truly missed while recovering from his ankle injury.

Luciano Vietto
All data from whoscored.com

I could talk about Andre Schürrle and his ridiculous output against Burnley. I could talk about Maxime Le Marchand being the only Fulham defender to play all four games. But instead, I'm going to talk about Fulham's most creative player these past four games. And boy was that a wierd sentence to write about.

Let's be honest. You did not expect Vietto to make anywhere near the impact he has had out wide this season. It's as if a brand new player was born while moving to Southwest London. Already, Vietto is one assist away from matching his highest total (3) for any European league campaign. Along with that, he is leading all Fulham players in expected assists. That's right, his 0.87 expected assists are 0.01 better than Seri and 0.24 better than Cairney. Simply put, this was just never something that was on full display by Vietto during his time in Spain.

Now Vietto also has never had a campaign where he has generated higher than 0.26 per 90 minutes, nor has he been as successful of a dribbler since his 1.52 per 90 minutes output like he had in his 12 goal season at Villareal at age 20. The job's not done just yet, but at age 24, Vietto is turning back the clock and reminding La Liga fans what they have been missing.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/9/13/17842408/four-of-fulhams-best-players-to-start-2018-19

WhiteJC

Benitez: 'We had to sell Mitrovic for the good of the team'

RAFAEL BENITEZ has defended his decision to sell Aleksandar Mitrovic, and agreed with the striker's assessment that his playing style did not match the requirements of playing with Newcastle United.

Mitrovic joined Fulham in a £22m move this summer, and has been in fine goalscoring form this season, claiming four goals in his opening four Premier League games before adding another two for Serbia in a Nations League draw with Romania this week.

His run of success has led some supporters to challenge the wisdom of allowing him to leave, and also raised questions about Benitez's refusal to play Mitrovic for most of the last two years.

Mitrovic used a recent interview to underline the extent of his frustration during his time on Tyneside, claiming "I tried to give my best, but it wasn't me. I was just running and getting in the team shape. He (Benitez) told me what he wanted and I tried, but I'm 90 kilos and if I run so much defensively, I have no power left when I'm in the box. He knew I couldn't play in that style, and I felt it too."

Benitez does not dispute the Serbian's version of events, but is adamant it would have been wrong to tear up his tactical template just to accommodate the 23-year-old. The Newcastle boss felt he could not fit Mitrovic into his system, so regarded a summer departure as the best solution for everyone.

"The first thing I would say is that I wish him all the best," said Benitez, whose Newcastle side will return to action against Arsenal tomorrow. "I didn't have any problem with him.

"He was a professional. He's a nice lad, and that's it. He was very clear (and said), 'The way that I play, maybe, is not the way we have to play'. In another environment, in another division, and now with confidence, fine, he's doing well. He's in another team, and it's totally different.

"He had chances for us. He was playing more than (Jacob) Murphy, and Murphy was similar. You see the stats, but I will not waste too much time on that. I wish him well. If we are safe, they can be safe, no problem. For us, he was not the kind of player we were looking for. That's it."

While Mitrovic's future was resolved when he penned a long-term deal with Fulham, Benitez's contractual situation remains up in the air.

The Spaniard's current deal expires at the end of the campaign, and after an initial round of talks broke down last season, there have been no new discussions since the transfer window closed last month.

Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley remain keen to tie Benitez to a new agreement, but there appears to be little prospect of the Newcastle boss penning a new deal until he receives the kind of cast-iron guarantees over transfers and future investment that were not forthcoming in the summer.

"Have there been contract talks? No," said Benitez. "This time, for us, for everyone, it's just to concentrate on (football). I think questions, answers and comments about my contract will change nothing.

"The main thing, for me, is to realise where we are. I'm realistic, but I'm optimistic. Why? Because I know we have to work really hard, and this team has done that. Can we keep the confidence? That is our job. To be sure the team is working really hard until the end of every game."

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/16859304.benitez-we-had-to-sell-mitrovic-for-the-good-of-the-team/

WhiteJC

Betts: Everything To Gain

Marcus Bettinelli says Fulham have "nothing to lose" when they travel to Manchester City on Saturday afternoon.

The reigning Premier League champions have dropped just two points this season and are the division's highest scorers, but Bettinelli insists his side won't be overawed at the Etihad.

"All the hard work that we put in last season, it would be for nothing if we weren't looking forward to these types of games," he told fulhamfctv. "These are the games you want to be involved in.

"Of course, Man City won the league last year, they're a fantastic team, they've got a fantastic manager and fantastic players, but so do we as well.

"On our day we play some fantastic football, and we've just got to try and match them, work harder than them, and with a little bit of luck on our side I'm sure we can take something positive out of the game.

"It's not going to be easy, like I said they're a fantastic team, but we go there with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

"We're going to go there with an open mind, be ready for them, prepare for them as well as we can, and we'll see what happens."

Bettinelli spent the international period away with England after a late call-up from Gareth Southgate, and the goalkeeper knows the best way to ensure that isn't a one-off is by performing consistently for the Whites.

"The only way you get into the England team is by playing well and playing regularly and doing your job," he stated.

"He's obviously seen something in me to call me up, so my job now is to come back here and do my best for Fulham. Focus on Fulham first, that's my main call.

"Hopefully if I keep on doing the right things here, playing under this Manager with the way we play, then I'm sure I'll be back in amongst it sometime soon."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/september/14/marcus-bettinelli-manchester-city-preview

WhiteJC

Tottenham lead race for Fulham star as club prepares new deal to retain him

Tottenham are eyeing Fulham sensation Ryan Sessegnon and are favourites to sign the Englishman, according to the Express.

The 18-year-old helped the Cottagers gain promotion last season and has started brightly in the Premier League.

Fulham have four points from four games and they must aim to stay in the Premier League next season too.

Sessegnon has an assist to his name from two starts so far. The report adds that Manchester United are also interested in the 18-year-old but Fulham are doing their best to retain their star.

The Cottagers want the Englishman to sign a new deal and the report claims the player signed professional terms with Fulham when he was 17.

Slavisa Jokanovic, the Fulham manager, admires the attack-minded player (h/t Express) and Sessegnon is one of the brightest players in the English game.

Tottenham didn't make a summer purchase this season but we must dip into the winter window to strengthen the side.

The youngster would certainly provide a spark in our attack. He is capable of playing on either side of the wing and would provide quality cover for the likes of Christian Eriksen, Lucas Moura and Son Heung-min.

The English youngster would not come on the cheap but it will be interesting to see his progress in the Premier League this season.

If he does well till January, there will be a number of clubs looking to sign him. Hopefully, we can trump the other clubs and sign the talent.

http://tothelaneandback.com/2018/09/14/tottenham-lead-race-for-fulham-star-as-club-prepares-new-deal-to-retain-him/