watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (15/09/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 15, 2018, 07:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Has Fulham star laid down the marker for Liverpool's Naby Keita?

Liverpool midfielder Naby Keita has made a good start to life at Anfield.

The £52.75 million summer signing from RB Leipzig has caught the eye with some impressive all-action displays in central midfield for the Reds so far.

It's early doors but it looks as though he is tailor-made for the Premier League.

So far he has started three out of four Premier League games and has demonstrated good versatility.

Fans are excited by the Guinea international's early showings, but there appears to be someone cut from the exact same cloth as Keita who is arguably out-performing him up to now – Fulham's £25 million signing Jean Michael Seri.

What the stats say

Many have been quick to label Keita as the signing of the season so far.

This could well be due to the fact that he plays for a top six club, and that he arrived for a large transfer fee.

But it can be argued that Fulham star Jean Michael Seri has actually been an even better box-to-box midfielder than Keita.

As reported by football.london, he ranks 7th in the passing stakes with 307, at an impressive accuracy of 90.8%. Keita has made just 205 so far.

Seri has made nine tackles so far, and seven interceptions, which is only five off top spot. Keita has made just two (via the Premier League). Seri has also made a couple of blocks to Keita's zero.

Seri has a very high tackle success of 78%, whereas Keita has managed just 44% so far.

And finally, Seri has managed to score one goal for the Cottagers (a goal that has just been voted August's Goal of the Month); Keita is still to get off the mark for Liverpool.

Big club bias?

So it would appear that Seri is outperforming Keita in a number of attacking and defensive areas.

There has been big hype surrounding Keita so far, but actually there's someone of a very similar play style who is laying down a marker right now.

Perhaps the 23-year-old ought to step it up a bit before he is lavished the way he has been.

Here's hoping Seri gets a bit more recognition now as arguably the division's best all-round midfielder at the moment.

https://tbrfootball.com/fulham-star-laid-marker-liverpools-naby-keita/

WhiteJC

Fulham Are Relishing The Chance To Test Themselves

Fulham boss Slaviša Jokanović spoke to the press ahead of the clubs Premier League fixture against Manchester City on Saturday and in doing so said his team was relishing the chance to test themselves against the best.

Fulham earned the right to play against England's elite by beating Aston Villa in last seasons Championship play-off final. And with four Premier League fixtures under their belt (one win, a draw and two defeats) the Cottagers and their fans find themselves licking their lips in anticipation of the 3 pm Etihad Stadium kick-off.

It's been four and a half years since City hosted Fulham, Saturday 22 March 2014 to be precise. On that EPL occasion, the visitors left Manchester with their tail between their legs after Yaya's hat-trick, and goals from Fernandinho and Martin Demichelis proved City were a class apart.

This time around Jokanović is eager to test his tactical wits against Pep Guardiola, a coach who he's admired for years.

Slaviša Jokanović – "We know how they play the football, we know it's not easy to play at the Etihad," the Fulham official website reported.

"From another side, we interpret it as an exciting game. We're not giving up before kick-off or anything like that. We interpret it as a great chance for us.

"We were fighting for this kind of chance, and we must be ready for the fight, we must be ready for everything we're going to find there.

"We must be ready to work off the ball; we must show humility and solidarity, and try and be at our highest level to have the opportunity to hurt them."

Pep Guardiola's pre-match press conference will be broadcast live later today via the official MCFC Facebook page.

Home and away tickets are still available.

Are you going?

https://manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/fulham-are-relishing-the-chance-to-test-themselves/

WhiteJC

Opposition Camp

Sergio Aguero is full of respect for Fulham ahead of our meeting at the Etihad Stadium.

We haven't faced Manchester City's all-time leading scorer in six years, but up until that point the Argentine striker had netted four goals in three appearances against the Whites.

"It's been some time since we played them last," he told City's official website. "Here's hoping my good run continues against them – but I remember them all being tough matches.

"They impressed me last season and went on a long unbeaten run and have started this season well. We'll keep focused, we'll stay true to our game, and we'll aim for the win as we always do.

"They have a long-standing tradition in England of being a good footballing team and now they've won a place back in the Premier League.

"It's no secret this is one of the most competitive tournaments in the world, played at the highest of levels, so it doesn't matter if they are fresh from promotion or not – they've earned their place here. We'll play this game as any other."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/september/14/opposition-camp

WhiteJC

Manchester City v Fulham
SAT 15 Sept 2018   Premier League
Venue: Etihad Stadium

Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored four goals already this season

TEAM NEWS

Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling is fit to play after the back injury that saw him withdraw from England duty.

Defender Danilo is back in training but is expected to remain on the sidelines, along with long-term absentees Kevin De Bruyne and Claudio Bravo.

Fulham will be without midfielders Tom Cairney and Neeskens Kebano with foot and ankle injuries respectively.

Defender Tim Ream also remains sidelined with a thigh problem.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

@Wilsonfooty: Fulham are going to provide some real entertainment this season. There have been 16 goals scored in their four league games so far this season - only Arsenal's games can match that tally.

Whilst Slavisa Jokanovic loves to get Fulham attacking (Mitrovic is currently the joint-top scorer in the Premier League), they display a defensive vulnerability which allowed Brighton to claw back a two-goal deficit in their last game.

Manchester City are fearsome opponents at the best of times - but if your defence isn't quite functioning, then they're the last team you want to face.

You can only conclude that Fulham's wait for a first away win back in the top flight is unlikely to end here.

VIEW FROM THE DUGOUT

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola: "I'm really impressed [with Fulham]. I had two weeks watching them. I saw three games. They have good players - [Jean Michael] Seri, and players in the front like [Aleksandar] Mitrovic. It's not just long balls and channels, they want to make their own game. I'm pretty sure they'll have a good season."

Fulham head coach Slavisa Jokanovic: "Everyone knows how Manchester City play football, everyone knows what this team's style is. We are a team promoted from the Championship, we want to use similar weapons and we want to attack with possession of the ball."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Nobody is expecting Fulham to get anything from the defending champions, and their aim will be to have something positive to take away from the day, even if it is not the result.

By that I mean not being torn apart and creating some chances themselves, but I don't see Fulham going to City and scoring, so good luck with that.

Prediction: 3-0

Lawro's full predictions v actor Mark Wahlberg

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

City have won the last five meetings, all in the Premier League.
    Fulham have lost their last three visits to the Etihad Stadium, failing to score while conceding 10 goals.
    Fulham's last win at Manchester City was in 2009 when two goals from Clint Dempsey helped them come from behind to win 3-1.
    The London side have failed to keep a clean sheet in their last 20 league meetings with Manchester City.

Manchester City

City have won both their home games in this season's Premier League.
    Manchester City have scored 16 goals in five home league games since losing to Manchester United in April.
    The reigning champions have won all eight of their Premier League matches in September under Pep Guardiola, scoring 28 goals and conceding just three times.
    Pep Guardiola's points per game ratio of 2.35 is the best in Premier League history (minimum five matches).
    Guardiola is unbeaten in 42 competitive matches as a manager in September, since Barcelona lost to Hercules in September 2010 (W36, D6).

Fulham

Fulham have picked up just one point away from home in the Premier League this season - but have scored in both their away games so far.
    They are yet to keep a clean sheet in the league - and haven't stopped the opposition scoring in their last 20 Premier League matches, a club record in the top flight.
    Only two teams have conceded more goals than Fulham's nine this season - West Ham and Huddersfield, who have both let in 10.
    Aleksandar Mitrovic is the joint top scorer in this season's Premier League, with four goals. Since his Fulham debut in February, he has scored 16 league goals - more than anyone else in the top two tiers of English football.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45456654

WhiteJC

Fulham need humility and solidarity to see of Manchester City: Jokanovic

Big test: Slavisa Jokanovic knows City will be a step up

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic insists his side will be ready to tackle Premier League champions Manchester City head-on at the Etihad Stadium.

The Cottagers resume domestic action tomorrow with arguably the most testing fixture of the top-flight campaign.

Jokanovic, though, sees no reason why the newly-promoted side, unbeaten in their last three competitive matches, should not head north with a positive mindset.

"It wouldn't be a surprise if I said it's one of the most difficult games for a team who's recently been promoted," Jokanovic said.

"We know how they play football, we know it's not easy to play at the Etihad. From another side, we interpret it as an exciting game. We're not giving up before kick-off or anything like that.

"We were fighting for this kind of chance, and we must be ready for the fight, we must be ready for everything. We must be ready to work off the ball, we must show humility and solidarity, and try and be at our highest level to have the opportunity to hurt them."

If Fulham are to get anything out of the encounter, however, Jokanovic has warned the whole squad needs to remain switched on, having thrown away a 2-0 lead to draw at Brighton in their last outing.

"It's not a question about individual mistakes, we need to set up better. I care about our positional play, if we are not in good positions mistakes arrive," he said.

"I don't need to explain to my players when they miss passes or if they don't cross well. They need to improve these things, but I must give them a clear plan on how to play their football.

"I am not focused on individual mistakes and I am not surprised that at the beginning of the Premier League we have made mistakes, but this team is new.

"Some of these players need to know each other and have some kind of understanding of the family way of working with the team.

Jokanovic confirmed midfielder Neeskens Kebano, defender Tim Ream and captain Tom Cairney would all be unavailable.

Belfast Telegraph

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-need-humility-and-solidarity-to-see-of-manchester-city-jokanovic-37314470.html

WhiteJC

Matchday Preview

Manchester City v Fulham - Etihad Stadium - Saturday 15th September 2018 - 3pm

Man City doubts

Raheem Sterling, Kevin De Bruyne, Claudio Bravo, Danilo
Fulham doubts

Tim Ream, Tom Cairney, Neeskens Kebano
Tickets

Tickets can be purchased in person or over the phone on 0203 871 0810 (option 3) until 3pm on Friday. No tickets will be available to purchase on the day.

Getting there

The Etihad is only a 10 minute taxi ride from Manchester Piccadilly train station, traffic permitting. Alternatively, fans can walk it in around half an hour or take the Metrolink, alighting at the Etihad Campus stop. Due to external segregation after the match, you will not be able to turn left towards the Etihad Campus Metrolink stop. You will be directed around the stadium. Both Holt Town and Velopark stops - the Metrolink stations on either side of the Etihad Campus - will not be operational for at least an hour after each the match.
Weather

After the potential for a rainy morning, it should remain dry in Manchester for the match, with temperatures around 16 degrees.
Live commentary

Tune into the App or the Match Centre for full live commentary of the game from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid.
He said...

"It's no secret this is one of the most competitive tournaments in the world, played at the highest of levels, so it doesn't matter if they are fresh from promotion or not – they've earned their place here. We'll play this game as any other." – Sergio Aguero will not be taking the Whites for granted.
Five who played for both

Wayne Bridge, Andrew Cole, Kit Symons, Niclas Jensen, Dickson Etuhu

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/september/14/matchday-preview

WhiteJC

Seri: I thought only about shooting

Fulham midfielder talks about the strike that won Carling Goal of the Month for August

There was only one thing on Jean Michael Seri's mind when a pass came to him 25 metres out from the Burnley goal at Craven Cottage on Sunday, 26 August.

"When I received the ball, I said, 'Shoot, shoot, shoot,' " the Fulham midfielder explained. "And I shot."

Seri unleashed a fierce curling drive that flew past Joe Hart and opened the scoring in Fulham's 4-2 victory, their first of the Premier League campaign.

The strike was also voted the Carling Goal of the Month for August by a panel of football experts and the public.

Seri added that he didn't plan to celebrate until he had 10 goals for the club but the reaction of the Fulham faithful at the quality of his first strike meant he could not help himself.

"When I saw the fans, I say, 'Wow!' At this moment, I have to celebrate, so I celebrated!"

Seri and the Fulham fans will be hoping for more goals like that this season, starting with their match at Manchester City on Saturday.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/848257

WhiteJC

Fulham without injured star midfielder and two others for Manchester City game

Fulham will travel to Manchester to face champions Manchester City minus three regulars from their promotion-winning side, boss Slavisa Jokanovic confirmed at his pre-match press conference.

The big miss for Fulham will be star midfielder Tom Cairney, who has contributed many goals and assists in recent seasons and was instrumental to the Cottagers returning to the Premier League.

Cairney picked up an ankle injury in Fulham's 4-2 win over Burnley just prior to the international break. Also sidelined for the game are DR Congo defender Neeskens Kebano and USA international Tim Ream, who made 48 appearances for Fulham last season.

Jokanovic confirmed no one else will be missing as Fulham look to spring an Etihad upset on Saturday. The Fulham manager was full of praise for Pep Guardiola's City side.

"Man City are an important football team," said Jokanovic. "They have a great history and are making big steps to be competitive in all competitions. They are always available for the fight.

"We know it's not going to be easy playing at the Etihad, but it's a great chance for us. We have fought for this chance. We won't give up.

"Everyone knows how [Man City] play football. We are a promoted team and we want to use similar weapons, and attack. I must be proud because many people know what Fulham's style is too."

https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2018/09/14/fulham-without-injured-star-midfielder-and-two-others-for-manchester-city-game/

WhiteJC

The Tony Gale Column

What fantastic news it was seeing that Marcus Bettinelli got the call-up for England last week. It's great experience for him, and a credit to him in that he got the call despite not even playing in our first two games. I said to his Dad Vic that he just needed to get his head up and work hard to keep his place once he did get back in, and he's got his just rewards for that. He's a great lad and a really good communicator, which is so important for goalkeepers.

Working with the likes of Jordan Pickford and the England goalkeeping staff will have been invaluable for Marcus, and it will also allow him to see where he's at. He might have spent that week there and come away thinking he's maybe not that far behind someone like Pickford. The whole experience will also have given him confidence, and that's something that you cannot underestimate. That's especially the case for goalkeepers in teams like England and Fulham who play the way we do out from the back, because they will make mistakes and it's just a case of getting on with it.

Marcus worked with Gareth Southgate at Under-21 level, so there will already have been that level of trust there. Several members of the senior squad are young lads that Gareth already knew and has brought through, so that can only bode well for the future with Marcus. Gareth will already know what he's all about, and most importantly what his character is like.

Another individual who enjoyed the recent internationals was Aleksandar Mitrović, who scored twice the other day for Serbia. That's exactly what you want. The last thing you want is your striker going away on international duty and having a stinker, because that can dent his form when he comes back. Mitro's gone away and kept his run going, which is great to see. I played with some top strikers in my time, and the best ones thrived on confidence as it kept them scoring goals and on a roll.

The lads who weren't called-up went away to Spain for a training camp. I think the warmest weather we got in my day was Bournemouth! We never really went away mid-season but I definitely see the merits of the lads going off to Murcia. We signed so many new players this summer, and the ones who arrived late wouldn't have gone away on pre-season, so this was a good opportunity for team bonding. The more you're together, the thicker you become and the better the understandings get.

Next up is the small case of Manchester City away. Some teams try and shut up shop at the Etihad, but I can't see Fulham playing any other way than the way we know, and that's fairly similar to City's style. I don't think Slav wants to play any other way, and I reckon the team are so acclimatised to that, that they wouldn't change for anyone.

Like most people, I've watched a lot of Man City in recent years. I know they've got incredible squad depth, but it's always better to play them when they're without Kevin De Bruyne, so that's a positive going into Saturday. I do think we can get at them because they can leave themselves a little bit open at times or be a tad over-confident at the back, so that's what we've got to look at. When the ball goes up to Mitrović, we've got the get the ball to stick as often as possible, because we don't want to be defending in our own half for 90 minutes.

We may be heading to the home of the champions, but you've always got a chance when you've got an in-form striker leading the line. Whether it's Kompany, Stones, Laporte or Otamendi he's up against, Mitro is going to fancy his chances. But when you're playing a side like Man City, it's all about getting support to the striker, because it's easy for them to become too isolated. Even though we'll be playing our football, City press so high and so quickly that your forward players can become isolated. We've got to be brave, and get players in and around Mitrović when he does get the ball.

City are playing Lyon this coming Wednesday, so they'll have that in the back of their minds. Pre and post-Champions League is always the best time to catch the top-four, because without a doubt they'll either have one eye on the game coming, or be recovering from the one just gone. I'm not saying it's going to make a huge difference, but we need to try and make the most of every advantage we can. I've been covering the Premier League for a long time now and it does happen; you sometimes see players conserving energy thinking about the next match, so if that's the case on Saturday then we need to make the most of it.

Finally, I'd like to wish George Cohen a speedy recovery because I heard he had a fall recently. Anyone who's met him knows he's one of the nicest men in football. Sometimes that sort of comment is overused, but not in George's case because he's a top guy. Let's hope he's back at the Cottage soon!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/september/14/the-tony-gale-column

WhiteJC

City v Fulham: A fixture full of goals...

Goals, attractive football and the return of Premier League football... here's five talking points ahead of Saturday's clash with Fulham.

1 Goals guaranteed?

City at the Etihad usually means goals will be scored and with eight from the first two home fixtures, the Blues are already averaging four per match.

But Fulham's open, attractive style means their four matches have produced 16 goals.

True, nine goals have been shipped and seven scored, but it's an indication of how Slavisa Jokanovic's team play.

Historically, too, this match never disappoints.

There's been no 0-0 in 21 games and during that time 75 goals have gone in either end, with an average of 3.5 per match!

2 Cottagers' record

Fulham's recent history against City is not that impressive, having failed to win any of the last 11 games against the Blues and collecting just three out of a possible 33 points, conceding 29 goals along the way.

In fact, the champions have scored in each of the last 21 fixtures against Fulham.

But there was a period when the West London side were viewed as something of a jinx team, winning three times at the Etihad in three years from 2006 to 2009.

And between 1963 and 1998, Fulham won seven of 11 games against City – so while the Blues certainly seemed to have laid that jinx to rest, it's worthy of note that we've not had it all our own way over the years.

3 International return

Though several members of the City squad were on international duty, from a travelling and fatigue angle, things could have been much worse.

With no Brazil or Argentina fixtures to contend with (all six of our South American stars were not selected on this occasion), there have been no lengthy journeys returning on Thursday as has happened in the past.

Fabian Delph got some much-needed game time under his belt against Switzerland, while Leroy Sane and Ederson both saw their partners give birth during the break.

Raheem Sterling missed out due to a back strain and David Silva has retired from international duty – so all in all, as these breaks go, many of the squad should be rested and ready to go on Saturday.

4 Mahrez set for lift-off?

Riyad Mahrez has spent the first month of the new season bedding in at City and getting to know his team-mates.

He has also had to learn a different style with the Blues, in terms of formations and what is expected of each player in each position

The Algerian has shown flashes of his breath-taking skills and trickery, and with each passing game he should feel more comfortable in his new surroundings.

With an open game of attacking football highly likely against Fulham, Mahrez will hope to start on Saturday – and thrill an army of new admirers in the process.

5 City aim for pole position?

Fourth-placed City will be hoping results are favourable this weekend with Spurs facing Liverpool and Watford hosting Manchester United.

The champions will need to beat Fulham to have any hopes of topping the table by the end of the weekend, though Chelsea will be strong favourites to beat Cardiff City at Stamford Bridge.

Fulham will be thinking that three points could take them into the top half of the table, too in what should be a fascinating weekend of matches.

https://www.mancity.com/news/first-team/first-team-news/2018/september/man-city-v-fulham-talking-points

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic warns Fulham fans to expect 'more changes' as he gets to know his new players

The head coach isn't concerned with finding a best XI this season - instead wanting to set the team up for each game

Slavisa Jokanovic isn't concerned with finding out what his best Fulham XI is - but will instead play what he feels is the best suited side for the game ahead of them.

The club signed 12 new faces in the summer and Jokanovic has yet to name an unchanged side this season and he gets minutes under players' belts, while at the same time discovering what his new recruits can do.

Last season saw the head coach settle on an XI towards the second half of the season as the club went on a 23-game unbeaten run in the Championship which eventually saw them promoted to the Premier League via the play-offs in May.

But that won't be the case this season as Jokanovic looks to make sure Fulham can compete in the Premier League, insisting instead that his main priority is to find out what his best XI is for each individual game, rather than a best XI for the entire season - starting with this weekend's game with Manchester City.

He said: "We are a Premier League team for four games now and I cannot complain about my situation, but it's a famous word for football managers in football - 'we need the time', if you say time is over, it's over.

"It's not a question about the best starting XI, it depends on my squad and I try use different players in different games.

(Image: Dan Istitene/Getty Images)

"I need to discover still what I have in my hands and I try give some players a chance to compete, we must follow how we are working on the training ground but training and competition is two different situations.

"I never talk about my best XI or something like this for the whole season, I am going to choose my best XI for starting the City game, what I believe is the best option for the team.

"Probably I will choose the best XI to finish the game and the possibility exists that I am going to try to find the best XI for the Watford game, and the next game after that.

(Image: Justin Setterfield/Getty Images)

"The process is never done and you cannot expect from my side that I will tell you now that I have a best XI, in football I believe it depends on many things, it depends on the level of my players, depends on our situation and what we want and opposite team and many things.

"This process is never complete and at the end, I am not worried about finding my best XI for all the season.

"I am always worried and I am working through the week to find my best XI to start different games."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/slavisa-jokanovic-warns-fulham-fans-15151090

WhiteJC

Manchester City vs Fulham, Premier League Matchday 5: Team News, Preview and Prediction
The Blues Host the Cottagers on Saturday

Competition/Round: 2018/19 English Premier League Season – Matchday 5

Date/Time: Manchester City vs Fulham – Saturday, 15 September 2018, 15:00 (UK & Nigeria); 10:00 EST, 07:00 PST (USA); 19:00 IST (India)

Venue: Etihad Stadium, Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Match Officials:

Referee: Stuart Attwell

Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Richard West

Fourth Official: Martin Atkinson

TV Info: NBCSN (USA)

Live Stream: NBC Sports Live (USA)

Radio: BBC Radio Manchester (UK); TalkSport Radio World (USA)

Preview:

The September international break has ended, and Manchester City's footballers have returned from their international duty. How might the Blues fare on matchday 5?

Prior to the international break, Manchester City started their new domestic campaign on a high, having earned three wins and one draw from their first four matches. The Blues will be disappointed to have dropped points against Wolverhampton Wanderers, but overall they have done well at the start of the 2018/19 English Premier League season.

Fulham, too, have had a good start to their campaign. Despite losing to Tottenham Hotspur on the opening day of the season, the Cottagers have earned one victory and two draws in the EPL after four matches. Moreover, they comfortably overcame Exeter City in the EFL Cup – Round 2 last month. With these performances in mind, they will now shift their focus toward the unthinkable: earning a shocking result against the Champions.

Team News:

Manchester City are still without the injured Kevin De Bruyne and Claudio Bravo. Danilo, who missed the opening set of matches due to a knee injury, has returned to training.

As for Fulham, Neeskens Kebano remains sidelined with a malleolar injury. Tim Ream has slowly returned to training.

Possible Lineups:

Manchester City

Formation: 4-3-3

Ederson; Walker, Stones, Laporte, Mendy; B. Silva, Gündoğan, D. Silva; Sterling, Agüero, Mahrez

Manager: Pep Guardiola

Fulham

Formation: 4-3-3

Bettinelli; Fosu-Mensah, Odoi, Mawson, Marchand; Anguissa, McDonald, Seri; Schürrle, Mitrović, Vietto

Manager: Slaviša Jokanović

Prediction:

Manchester City will be eager to continue their strong start to the season and earning another victory this weekend could help build their momentum. Moreover, the Blues will host Olympique Lyons on Wednesday in their first 2018/19 UEFA Champions League Group Stage match, and it is likely the Blues will have their fixture in the back of their minds. A victory over Fulham could certainly help boost their motivation for the upcoming Champions League match. On the other hand, the Blues will need to stay focused if they are to retain their title this season.

Fulham, however, will have other ideas in mind. The last time the Cottagers defeated the Blues at home was during the 2005/06 EPL season, where the visitors won 1-2. Whilst the odds are stacked against them, stranger things have happened, and the visitors will hope to replicate a similar shocking result on Saturday.

It seems Manchester City have too many things in their favor, however, and with their upcoming Champions League match in mind, they will be sure to earn a result over the weekend. The Blues simply blew away their opposition last season, and their fans would expect nothing less during this campaign.

Manchester City 3-1 Fulham

https://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/2018/9/14/17853762/epl-2018-19-season-mathday-5-manchester-city-vs-fulham

WhiteJC

'If they play total football at Man City they'll get hammered' - Paul Merson has his say on Fulham

The Sky Sports pundit is predicting a heavy loss for Fulham as they travel to the Etihad to take on the Champions

Paul Merson hasn't held back in his latest Merson's Premier League predictions column - claiming it will be a case of how many Manchester City score against Fulham.

The Sky Sports pundit has predicted just one Fulham win all season, backing them to lose the other two and draw one, and the former Arsenal man is concerned that Slavisa Jokanovic's style of play will lead them to a drubbing at the Etihad on Saturday.

Merson was also less than impressed in the manner of which Fulham threw away a 2-0 goal lead at Brighton & Hove Albion in the last game before the international break, claiming if the side had 'defended properly they would have won that game'.

Fulham have already played one of the title contenders, Tottenham Hotspur, away from home this season and gave a good account of themselves at Wembley, losing 3-1 but having a 25 minute spell where they got back on level terms and dominated the game.

Jokanovic's side are growing in confidence as each week passes by in their new division, but Merson reckons a 4-0 defeat is on the cards against Pep Guardiola's City team.

In his Sky Sports column, he said: "Nothing but a home win here - it will be a case of 'how many?'

"I watched Fulham at Brighton. It's very nice to pass the ball around at the back when you're 2-0 up but come on?

"If they defended properly, they'd have won that game.

"It's alright to play 'total football' but there's a time and a place. If they try and play like that at Manchester City, then they'll get hammered.

"PAUL PREDICTS: 4-0."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/if-play-total-football-man-15151580

WhiteJC

Manchester City v Fulham preview: Raheem Sterling available for City

Raheem Sterling will be fit for Manchester City when they host Fulham in the Premier League on Saturday.

Sterling withdrew from England's matches against Spain and Switzerland due to a back injury.

However, Pep Guardiola says he is fully recovered, and also spoke about talks over a new contract for the 23-year-old.

"It is well known we are delighted with him and we would like it to continue," said Guardiola. "He is fit for the weekend. In the last day he has been better."

City have won three of four games in the Premier League this season, only dropping points in a 1-1 draw at Wolves.

Newly-promoted Fulham have scored six goals in their last two matches, beating Burnley 4-2 and then drawing 2-2 at Brighton, having led 2-0.

Manager Slavisa Jokanovic is relishing the chance for his side to face the champions.

"We were fighting for this kind of chance, and we must be ready for the fight, we must be ready for everything we're going to find there.

"We must be ready to work off the ball, we must show humility and solidarity, and try and be at our highest level to have the opportunity to hurt them."

Team news

Kevin De Bruyne remains unavailable for Manchester City as he recovers from a knee injury.

Fulham must again do without captain Tom Cairney as he continues his recovery from a foot injury suffered against
Burnley before the international break.

Midfielder Neeskens Kebano (ankle) and defender Tim Ream (thigh) are also not yet available.

Opta stats

Manchester City are unbeaten in their last 10 Premier League encounters with Fulham (W7 D3 L0), winning each of the last five in a row.
    Manchester City haven't lost a Premier League home game against a newly-promoted team since losing 2-0 to Reading in February 2007. City have won 29 and drawn four since that defeat in 2007.
    The last newly-promoted team to defeat a Pep Guardiola side in league competition were Real Sociedad in April 2011, while he was with Barcelona. Manchester City have lost just two of their 40 Premier League games at the Etihad under Pep Guardiola (W29 D9 L2), with both defeats coming against fellow 'big six' sides (Chelsea in 2016 & Man Utd in 2018).
    There have been 16 goals scored in the four Premier League matches involving Fulham this season (7 scored, 9 conceded) - the joint-highest total in the division alongside Arsenal.
    Manchester City forward Sergio Aguero has scored 27 goals in 34 Premier League appearances against newly promoted teams, including 12 goals in his last 11.

Merson's prediction

Nothing but a home win here - it will be a case of 'how many?' I watched Fulham at Brighton. It's very nice to pass the ball around at the back when you're 2-0 up but come on? If they defended properly, they'd have won that game. It's alright to play 'total football' but there's a time and a place. If they try and play like that at Manchester City, then they'll get hammered.

PAUL PREDICTS: 4-0 (12/1 with Sky Bet)

https://www.skysports.com/football/man-city-vs-fulham/preview/390801

WhiteJC

Jokanovic hails Man City boss Guardiola but says Fulham will develop their own style

Slavisa Jokanovic knows Fulham must find their own way to Premier League success and not just look to try to copy Manchester City's own unique approach.

The Whites head to the Etihad Stadium on Saturday determined to take a positive mindset into a clash against one of the best-drilled sides in Europe.

Fulham won many plaudits for the way they went about their business in securing promotion back to the top flight via victory in the play-off final at Wembley.

Jokanovic, though, is not about to shape his side in the image of Pep Guardiola's slick force.

"We try to find our way, we try to adapt ourselves, we try to interpret what we have in our hands," the Fulham boss said at a press conference.

"We will choose what we believe is the best way for us to have the opportunity to win the game.

"Everyone knows how Manchester City play football, everyone knows what this team's style is.

"We are a team promoted from the Championship, we want to use similar weapons and we want to attack with possession of the ball.

"I must be proud, because many people know what Fulham's style is, too, and it can be the case that we are successful too in the seasons to come.

"It's not easy to compare us with City; they have other records and targets to us. Anyway, we want to follow our way of playing football."

Jokanovic, though, admits one can only be impressed by the work of Guardiola.

The Serbian said of the Spaniard: "He's one of the most experienced and successful managers. He's shown a similar style in different places, shown it's possible to play that way in different competitions.

"All the credit to him. He made really important steps in the game – but to copy people is not good and it is not easy for us to match this level."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/jokanovic-hails-man-city-boss-guardiola-but-says-fulham-will-develop-their-own-style

WhiteJC

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola names the two Fulham players he is wary of this weekend

The Manchester City boss has been singing Fulham's praises ahead of the two sides' meeting tomorrow

Pep Guardiola admits he has been impressed by Fulham this season and is backing Slavisa Jokanovic's side to have a good year in the Premier League with Jean-Michael Seri and Aleksandar Mitrovic in the side.

The Cottagers travel to the Premier League champions tomorrow in the first game after the international break as they look to continue getting to grips with the top flight after promotion from the Championship last season.

So far they've beaten Burnley, drawn to Brighton & Hove Albion and lost to Crystal Palace and Tottenham Hotspur, but with a two week break between the last game in the Premier League schedule and this, Guardiola has had time to see three of those games - and he's been impressed.

Fulham were referred to as the Manchester City of the Championship last season, and while Jokanovic rejected comparisons between his side and Guardiola's, the City boss has been really impressed with the west Londoners' style of play.

He said: "I am really impressed. I have liked watching them. I have had two weeks, usually you have three or four days which isn't much time to watch our opponents.

"In this case, with two weeks I had time and I saw three games and I am really impressed. I understand when I watch them the reason why they are in the Premier League and have really good players, with [Jean-Michael] Seri for example, and players in front with [Aleksandar] Mitrovic and so on.

"And the way they want to play, it's not just long balls into the channel, they want to make their own game and I am pretty sure they are going to make a good season."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/manchester-city-boss-pep-guardiola-15153033

WhiteJC

'We want to follow our way of playing football': Slavisa Jokanovic keen for Fulham to follow their own style ahead of trip to the Etihad Stadium as Marcus Bettinelli vows to keep England place

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic wants his side to stick to their principles
    The club spent more than £100million on new players over the summer
    They visit reigning champions Manchester City, who are unbeaten this season

Slavisa Jokanovic knows Fulham must find their own way to Premier League success and not just look to try to copy Manchester City's own unique approach.

The Cottagers head to the Etihad Stadium on Saturday determined to take a positive mindset into a clash against one of the best-drilled sides in Europe.

Fulham won many plaudits for the way they went about their business in securing promotion back to the top flight via victory in the play-off final at Wembley.

Slavisa Jokanovic wants his Fulham side to stick to their principles in the Premier League

Jokanovic, though, is not about to shape his side in the image of Pep Guardiola's slick force.

'We try to find our way, we try to adapt ourselves, we try to interpret what we have in our hands,' the Fulham boss said at a press conference.

'We will choose what we believe is the best way for us to have the opportunity to win the game.

'Everyone knows how Manchester City play football, everyone knows what this team's style is.

'We are a team promoted from the Championship, we want to use similar weapons and we want to attack with possession of the ball.

'I must be proud, because many people know what Fulham's style is, too, and it can be the case that we are successful too in the seasons to come.

'It's not easy to compare us with City; they have other records and targets to us. Anyway, we want to follow our way of playing football.'

Jokanovic, though, admits you can only be impressed by the work of Guardiola.

The Serbian said of the Spaniard: 'He's one of the most experienced and successful managers. He's shown a similar style in different places, shown it's possible to play that way in different competitions.

'All the credit to him. He made really important steps in the game - but to copy people is not good and it is not easy for us to match this level.'

Marcus Bettinelli is determined to ensure he receives another call-up to the England squad

Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli earned a first senior international call-up with England for the Nations League match against Spain at Wembley and friendly with Switzerland in Leicester.

The 26-year-old is determined the experience will not be a one-off.

'The only way you get into the England team is by playing well and playing regularly and doing your job,' Bettinelli said on fulhamfctv.

'He (England manager Gareth Southgate) has obviously seen something in me to call me up, so my job now is to come back here and do my best for Fulham. Focus on Fulham first, that's my main call.

'Hopefully if I keep on doing the right things here, playing under this manager with the way we play, then I'm sure I'll be back in amongst it (England squad) sometime soon.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6168631/Slavisa-Jokanovic-keen-Fulham-follow-style-ahead-trip-Etihad-Stadium.html

WhiteJC

Next one up – Manchester City

Tomorrow's game against Manchester City at the Etihad is one of the first fixtures that I looked out for when the fixtures were released last June. Slavisa Jokanovic said in his pre-match press conference that it's games like this that we fought for last season when we won promotion to the Premier League. It's the chance to test yourself against the very best, and a chance to show just how good we can be.

Now let's be realistic, there's a good chance that we will get turned over tomorrow. City won the league at a canter last season and are strong favourites this season as well. Pep Guardiola has won titles in three countries as a manager and his brand of high pressing and attacking football can be beautiful to watch. They can rip teams apart, with Huddersfield Town being the first victims of a big scoreline this season and they are unlikely to be the last. The thing is, when teams try and sit back and defend against City they general fail miserably, so trying to play our style of football could be our best option.

Fulham will have been very disappointed to not go into the first international break with six points on the board, but a poor final 20 minutes or so against Brighton, saw us squander a 2-0 lead. Coming away with just a point was hard to take, especially considering who our next opponents are. In our opening four games this season we have conceded nine goals, and we certainly haven't looked comfortable there. We have played with two different keepers and have made at least one defensive change for every game. Even the most attacking teams need to have a solid defensive foundation on which to build from, but we just haven't quite got that yet. However, Jokanovic took the opportunity of the international break to take the players not involved with their national teams away to Spain and the defence was very much the focus. Despite it being fantastic news that Marcus Bettinelli got his first senior England call up, I'm sure Jokanovic was slightly frustrated that Betts wouldn't be joining them in Spain, as it looks as though he is first choice at the minute so the defence would have benefitted from him being there. However, even with Betts away, an exercise in stabilising the defence won't be wasted so hopefully we will see a better showing tomorrow.

While the defence will have to be on top form tomorrow, the key battle for me is in the midfield. It looks as thought Cairney will be missing again because of injury, so I expect the midfield three of Kevin McDonald, Frank-Zambo Anguissa and Jean Michael Seri.

Seri, I think, has the ability to really change the game for us tomorrow because he is as important in defence as he is in attack. While he tops the Fulham, charts for passing and touches of the ball, he also boasts impressive defensive stats with seven interceptions and seven tackles. He is very good at reading the game and has so far done a good job in disrupting the play of other teams, winning the ball in key areas and then starting an attack. And if we manage to get the ball to our forward players, with Mitrovic full of confidence and Schurrle on form, we certainly have players to hurt any team.

I honestly believe that we can score tomorrow, but can't see us managing to hold City at bay. You never know, we have seen a few miracles at the Etihad over the years for Fulham, so who is to say that it can't happen tomorrow?

#COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/09/next-one-up-manchester-city/

WhiteJC

Transfer News: Fulham set to open contract talks with Ryan Sessegnon amid Manchester United interest

Fulham are reportedly set to open talks with Ryan Sessegnon over a new deal amid interest from fellow Premier League outfits Manchester United and Tottenham.

According to a report by London Evening Standard, Fulham are eager to secure the long-term future of Ryan Sessegnon, and are ready to open talks with him over a new contract. The teenage prodigy is the subject of interest from Premier League title rivals Manchester United and Tottenham.

Sessegnon has had the spotlight on him ever since he broke into the first-team setup at Fulham at the nascent age of 17. Since then, the teenager has progresses leaps and bounds, so much so that the who's who of Premier League football have been after him for well over a year now.

Among those who have shown a concrete interest in the 18-year-old though, are Manchester United and Tottenham, with both thought to be initially tailing him to become a solution for the left-back slot.

At Manchester United, Sessegnon could perhaps be the long-awaited winger for the right side of attack, with the player showing his ability to make an impact from the position this season against Tottenham. With the pursuit of Paulo Dybala likely to be complicated, Jose Mourinho could target the Fulham star as a possible alternative.

Tottenham, on the other hand, could possibly utilise Sessegnon as a left-back, with Danny Rose's future still uncertain. The player could even be a solution in the final third. But, Spurs and Manchester United could soon be dealt a huge blow in his pursuit, with Fulham set to open talks with Sessegnon over a new long-term deal.

The teenager's current contract has less than two years remaining, and the Premier League returnees are eager to secure his long-term future. The Cottagers will likely be able to tie Sessegnon down to a new deal seamlessly, with the English under-21 international recently reaffirming his loyalty to the club.

But, with Manchester United and Tottenham snapping at their heels, Fulham ought to wrap up the formalities of agreeing a new contract with Sessegnon soon. For now though, the chances of Manchester United and Spurs landing him look quite bleak, with the 18-year-old committed to establishing Fulham as a regular Premier League outfit once again.

http://www.thehardtackle.com/news/2018/09/14/transfer-news-fulham-set-to-open-contract-talks-with-ryan-sessegnon-amid-manchester-united-interest/

WhiteJC

Man City can expect a change from Fulham at the Etihad

Manchester City host Premier League newcomers Fulham at the Etihad this weekend

Manchester City fans could be in for something different this weekend when Fulham visit the champions.

Premier League games at the Etihad have regularly come to resemble attack against defence training exercises as opposition teams sit as deep as they can to try to negate the attacking power of Pep Guardiola's side . Both Huddersfield and Newcastle have done their best to frustrate the Blues in this way this season.

However, Fulham could pose a different threat.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side were only outscored by Wolves in the Championship last season and only six teams have more than their seven goals from the opening four games of the Premier League campaign.

The Fulham manager is not interested in copying the style of Guardiola as he looks to ensure a successful return to the top flight for the Cottagers, mindful that his team cannot go toe-to-toe with City.

But the coach did appear to confirm to reporters ahead of the game how they will go about the game.

"We will choose what we believe is the best way for us to have the opportunity to win the game," he said.

"Everyone knows how Manchester City play football, everyone knows what this team's style is.

"We are a team promoted from the Championship, we want to use similar weapons and we want to attack with possession of the ball."

City's only dropped points of the campaign so far came against Championship winners Wolves, and Guardiola's team travel to Cardiff next weekend to complete their first set of fixtures against the promoted clubs.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-fulham-news-fixtures-15150694