watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Consistent back four

Started by Bassey the warrior, September 17, 2018, 01:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassey the warrior

As much as I love Slavisa, he's doing our defence no favours to keep chopping and changing the back four every week. We need to find our best and stick with it if we're going to improve it.
Personally I think it's: TFM Mason MLM Bryan.

Chutney

I think this exactly what he's trying to figure out, one of the problems with signing players so late in the window is you have to use competitive games to figure them out and bed them in. Slav makes it clear at the start of every window he wants signings in early, it rarely happens, and this is the result.

C O Y W

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Chutney on September 17, 2018, 01:40:09 PM
I think this exactly what he's trying to figure out, one of the problems with signing players so late in the window is you have to use competitive games to figure them out and bed them in. Slav makes it clear at the start of every window he wants signings in early, it rarely happens, and this is the result.

It rarely happens because we chased much higher calibre players.

Would you rather rush in Chris Samba, or take time and sign Alfie Mawson?

Chutney

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on September 17, 2018, 02:11:59 PM

Whats your point?

My point is it costs us points at the start of every season, which is does. We might well make them up later when the players are bedded in, we need to give them time.
C O Y W

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Chutney on September 17, 2018, 02:34:35 PM
Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on September 17, 2018, 02:11:59 PM

Whats your point?

My point is it costs us points at the start of every season, which is does. We might well make them up later when the players are bedded in, we need to give them time.

Unfortunately to an extent the market dictates when you can get a player and often you will see other teams purchasing players just before they sell theres or very soon after (Rondon after Mitro for example). We arent in a bubble and all clubs leave it until last minute. We werent even the worst in this regard, poor Mourinho bless him, couldnt get any CBs...

Lighthouse

But he has already stated that he isn't looking for a settled 11 but a team for each game. His idea is each game is different. Clearly the full backs are going to be constantly altered. The centre halves too. So his idea is not to have a settle back 4.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 17, 2018, 02:38:38 PM
But he has already stated that he isn't looking for a settled 11 but a team for each game. His idea is each game is different. Clearly the full backs are going to be constantly altered. The centre halves too. So his idea is not to have a settle back 4.

Managers like Fergie, Mourinho etc have been doing this forever. Makes sense.

JimmyConway

If his idea is not to have a settled back 4 what happens to the rest of the team? Carnage comes to mind.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 17, 2018, 02:38:38 PM
If that really is intentional then it's ill advised in my opinion. Man Utd have been defensively vulnerable by their standards due largely to Jose constantly rotating the defence. I think all four defenders need to be in perfect sync if you're playing an open game, which we are.

filham

Let there t that we need a settled back four but of course it has to be one of quality, no use trying to stitch together players who not out of the top draw.

Can you imagine Roy saying I am going to fiddle around with Hughes .and Hangeland for half a season to see how different defenders work together or in 1975 Stock thinking about messing about with Moore and Lacey. Now could you ever imagine McDonand splitting up the dream partnership of Brown and Gale.

It begins to look as if we were late in buying our defenders, missed out on Targett for sure, bought an expensive job lot which Jocanovic is trying to make into more than the sum of the individual parts

Holders

Only 5 games have gone, Odoi was suspended, Mawson was injured and Ream still is.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

HV71

Quote from: Holders on September 17, 2018, 04:41:39 PM
Only 5 games have gone, Odoi was suspended, Mawson was injured and Ream still is.

Precisely - we need to be patient and trust in Slav

Holders

Quote from: HV71 on September 17, 2018, 04:47:17 PM

Plus Bryan and MLM are finding their feet.

Lighthouse

I understand the fact that only 5 games have come and gone so too early to make too many conclusions. But I never understand the 'Trust in Slav' rhetoric. I always question every decision by the so called experts. In Politics, medicine, sport. Trust no one as somebody once said. But then I do go overboard with the warm fuzzy feeling I have when things work out in football. Not a feeling I have with politicians or Doctors.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Chesh

Quote from: Stefan The Viking (The Moose) on September 17, 2018, 01:09:12 PM
As much as I love Slavisa, he's doing our defence no favours to keep chopping and changing the back four every week. We need to find our best and stick with it if we're going to improve it.
Personally I think it's: TFM Mason MLM Bryan.
We just have to accept that to find the 'best' back 4 will take more than 5 early games (interupted by an international break).

People seem to have made their minds up already for instance that MLM is 'in' and Chambers is 'out', and Ream hasn't even had a chance to play yet.

If it takes 15 games, so be it, but if Slav does not know yet, then it doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't know what he is doing - more so that with the players available it is not so obvious.

Let's give him time, and to be frank, based on some of the other teams down below us at the moment, we do have that.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 17, 2018, 05:38:13 PM

I understand the fact that only 5 games have come and gone so too early to make too many conclusions. But I never understand the 'Trust in Slav' rhetoric. I always question every decision by the so called experts. In Politics, medicine, sport. Trust no one as somebody once said. But then I do go overboard with the warm fuzzy feeling I have when things work out in football. Not a feeling I have with politicians or Doctors.

I have to agree with Lighthouse here on all his salient points. I can never understand this trust in the Manager melachy.
Try not to take the so called experts word for it, it's always prudent to ask questions and think for yourself.
There have been many errors of judgement by qualified professionals.
Two examples come straight to mind of poor decision making.

1) When Abraham Lincoln said, ime fed up kicking around the house let's go take in a show.

2) Also when Olaf The Hairy, Warrior King of the Vikings, ordered 80,000 War Helmets with the Horns sticking out from the inside.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

alfie

I understand the philosophy of utilising players for certain games, but I just fail to understand why he cannot see what we all see that Sess is not a left back, and it just depresses his talents.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

HV71

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 17, 2018, 05:56:44 PM

I have to agree with Lighthouse here on all his salient points. I can never understand this trust in the Manager melachy.
Try not to take the so called experts word for it, it's always prudent to ask questions and think for yourself.

1) When Abraham Lincoln said, ime fed up kicking around the house let's go take in a show.

2) Also when Olaf The Hairy, Warrior King of the Vikings, ordered 80,000 War Helmets with the Horns sticking out from the inside.

Well you can go through your life trusting no one - which Personally I would find a bit sad. I would also admit I admit it is wrong not to question at all but for me 'trust is like a wall ' and people have to build it  before I completely put my faith in them. Slav has done that for me - last season began slowly as he tinkered to find the team he wanted to play his way. He did that and gave us success with 'bells on' and over his tenure we have also played football that entertains as well as being effective. He directly sees the squad on a day by day basis - we don't  - so I prefer to trust his judgement over anyone else's .

Holders

Viking helmets did not have horns, inside or out.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on September 17, 2018, 06:32:12 PM

Viking helmets did not have horns, inside or out.

I did not say they were Viking Helmets oh wise one, I said they were War Helmets.
He just happened to be the Warrior King of the Vikings, nobody said they were going to wear them.
You must keep up and pay more attention.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.