https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (22/09/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 22, 2018, 07:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk: View Of The Opposition - Watford
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club

This episode is an interview with Phil Spencer, who writes about Watford for Football.London. During the intervew, he shared his view on Watford's start of the season, the key players in this match-up against Fulham, and much more. We ended the interview with his prediction for the match.

This is our preview episode for this match.

you can listen to the podcast here...
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cottagetalk/2018/09/21/cottage-talk-view-of-the-opposition--watford

WhiteJC

Javi Gracia discusses Slavisa Jokanovic, Aleksandar Mitrovic and the threat of Fulham

Gracia was full of praise for Saturday's opposition, but was confident that his side would be able to get 3 points.

Javi Gracia has heaped praise on the job Slavisa Jokanovic has done at Fulham - but is backing his side to get three points.

The Hornets had their perfect start to the new season ended by Man United last weekend, but the Head Coach is adamant that if his side can recreate their recent performances, then they'll be able to get the victory at Craven Cottage.

He said: "Fulham, for me, are playing very well.

"I know it will be a tough game but we're going to compete like we've been doing in all of the games that we've played. The team, in my opinion, are keeping a high level in all of the games with better results or like last week with a defeat, but we're competing well.

"We are looking forward to the next game and I'm sure we'll keep our level but we know they're a team who like possession, they have a style of play and are well organised and we're ready to play the next game and we'll see what happens."

Gracia added: "I know Jokanovic from Spain when he was a player. I played against him sometimes - as a player, for me, he was a very good player and we'll see what happens. I think it's a good team.

"It's his first season in the Premier League after they were promoted and they have a well-organised team. They know what they have to do and we'll try to surprise them. I'm confident we're able to get a good result and the three points."

One man who has been particularly impressive for Fulham so far this term is Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The striker has scored four goals in five games in the Premier League so far this term, but when quizzed on the Serbian's threat, Gracia insisted that they'll need to focus on a lot more than just Mitrovic.

He said: "I think Mitrovic is scoring the goals but for me Fulham is not only Mitrovic. There are many good players around him that help him to do his work.

"They're a well organised team. They try to look for a passing game and have more possession than other teams and have an average of 54 or 55% and we have to be ready to defend well when we don't have possession and try to have them with counter attacks, and when we have possession as well because I think playing this well we'll be able to create chances, score goals and win the game."

https://www.football.london/watford-fc/news/watford-gracia-jokanovic-fulham-mitrovic-15184725

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney to switch to England setup?

England manager Gareth Southgate is reportedly monitoring Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney, who currently plays for the Scotland national team.

The 27-year-old, who has never played in a competitive game for Scotland, is eligible to switch nationalities due to his mother's heritage.

According to The Sun, Cairney is one of several players that Southgate is looking to tempt into joining the Three Lions setup.

The report adds that West Ham United midfielder Declan Rice is also being tracked by the England coaching staff after impressing in the early stages of the Premier League season.

Rice has played three times for Martin O'Neill's Republic of Ireland senior team but none has been in a competitive fixture.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/england/news/tom-cairney-to-switch-to-england-setup_336313.html

WhiteJC

Three Players to Watch: Matchday 6 vs. Watford
Can Fulham get a rare three points in their latest Premier League fixture?

Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

If there's a time where Fulham have to pick themselves off the floor quickly and find a way to collect three points, tomorrow's fixture with Watford is it. In spite of the last couple of results, Fulham's support should be buzzing. Let's not forget how loud it was in their victory against Burnley and that noise will have to be there again against a Hornets side that is inspired under new manager Javier Gracia.

The key to Saturday clearly will be how good Fulham can defend Watford's attack, especially with a midfield that lacks one of their best ball possession players in Tom Cairney and one of their most dependable defenders from last season in Tim Ream. Watford have been off to a blistering start with just one loss to Manchester United and surprisingly beating Tottenham off of two late goals in their five Premier League fixtures. That being said, their attack hasn't been as impressive as they have looked.

While Watford have scored 10 goals this season, Understat has they're expected goals total hit 5.53. Only Chelsea has a higher disparity of actual goals to their expected goals in the Premier League. Along with that, they have scored three goals off of corners and set pieces alone when only 0.92 of those attempts should have gone in. Lastly, only Leicester City have a higher percentage of shots taken from outside the penalty area than Gracia's squad this season.

Insults aside, Watford have been a much improved club over the past month as a result of a very aggressive press (sixth best in the league with 10.55 passes allowed per defensive action) and a stout defense. Even with the defeat to Man United last weekend, Watford's 4.46 expected goals conceded is still fourth best in the Premier League. Gracia has shown little rotation at all and have been able to gel quite nicely without any need of looking for substitutions. With a 4-2-2-2 formation, Watford is able to keep teams away from coming into the penalty area and use a midfield that consists of two out-and-out 6s followed by an 8 and a 10.

Up front, Andre Gray and Troy Deeney are the two to always lead the charge with their natural abilities at center forward. It's a simplistic system that you would tend to see sides in the bottom half of the table use in attack. But with an unorthodox midfield and pressing game, Watford's defense has been the true catalyst to start their campaign on the right foot. Add in the experience of Ben Foster in goal, and you have a squad that is ticking in all cylinders.

With that in mind, let's take a look at three players who have been impressive for Watford this season.

Roberto Pereyra

As mentioned already, Watford's attack is quite basic with very little creativity and passing coming out of this team. With 45.5% possession for the season and a league-high 44.2 failed long ball pass attempts per game, you shouldn't be expecting that much activity with the ball at their feet. One player that could deliver that bit of magic on a consistent basis is the former Juventus man.

At 27, Pereyra is still within the prime of his career and could still add to his 10 caps with Argentina if things break right for him. With three goals already to his account, along with a combined 19 shots and key passes, as well as nine successful dribbles, no other Watford player is more frequently involved in the attacking side of Watford's game. To add more accolades to his name, Pereyra is second to Deeney in xG Chain and third among Watford players in xG Buildup. And while it is not his go-to way of playing, there is no one else in the club that delivers a more accurate long ball than him. So sure, Deeney and Gray will do their best to impose their will on Fulham's center backs all afternoon, but don't ignore the trailing number 10 that could collect loose change when he gets his chance.

Abdoulaye Doucouré

Another star in Watford's midfield has been the play of Doucouré, who was has really been coming into his own since arriving from Rennes. At 25, there is no better time to showcase his talents than what has been delivered right now. This season, Doucouré is fourth in the club in both total xG Buildup and xG Chain while delivering good passes from the midfield fulcrum position. Along with that, Doucouré has been a great compliment to Etienne Capoue in Watford's double pivot in front of the back four. Add in a £13.5 million market value on transfer market that is only matched by Gray among Watford players and you can see why he has been so valuable to the club.

Jose Holebas
All data from whoscored.com

Lastly, we need to talk about the oldest outfield player in Watford's XI that is somehow finding the fountain of youth. At 34, Holebas isn't going to be as mobile as he used to be earlier in his career. That still doesn't stop the former Greek International from pinging good crosses and delivering the killer pass towards into the box at a superb level. And with that, Holebas has delivered one goal and four assists already this season. Now that might be it when it comes to his season wide production if he were to match his expected goal outputs. But with the increase in chances created, there is a good chance he'll be able to surpass any season he has had at Watford or even AS Roma in assists. And until that Watford magic runs out, Holebas is not a player to be taken lightly in Fulham's ranks.

https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2018/9/21/17882090/three-players-to-watch-matchday-6-vs-watford

WhiteJC

'Mitrovic is my new Deeney' - Slavisa Jokanovic compares his old goalscorer to his newest

The Fulham head coach has managed both players and likes both players' style of 'old fashioned' play

Troy Deeney scored 21 goals for Slavisa Jokanovic when Watford got promoted from the Championship - but the Fulham boss has a new 'old-fashioned' striker in Aleksandar Mitrovic these days.

The Englishman enjoyed a fine season as Jokanovic guided the Hornets to second place in the second tier in 2014/15 before being sacked in favour of Quique Flores during the summer before the season started.

Jokanovic now finds himself in the same position as he would've been in with Watford, albeit via a stint in Israel, and now he's preparing to take on his former club as head coach of Fulham having got them promoted last season via the play-offs - and he's got a new Deeney in Mitrovic.

The pair are very similar - both are big, physical players that are a throwback to the old fashioned number nine and both provide a focal point for their side's play, bringing others into the game.

Saturday's lunchtime kick-off sees Jokanovic's old striker come up against his new one and the Fulham head coach still believes Deeney is a good player and has backed him for an England call-up.

He said: "He's a strong and big character - sometimes it's not easy to deal with him.

(Image: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images)

"He has, in some ways, grown up and made some positive evolution in these few years and I believe he can believe an option to play in English national team.

"I collaborated acceptably good with him and he made a great season and scored over 20 goals and his participation was really important for the promoted run with Watford.

"Old fashioned? I don't know about old fashioned, we can probably say Aleksandar Mitrovic is an old fashioned player.

"Deeney is a really good player, is a great character and ready for the challenge and the fight.

"I like these kind of players, I can be an old fashioned coach too and I believe he can play in the highest level.

"He has a few seasons in the Premier League behind him and he showed all of us the quality and other players have some different characteristics, but the characteristics that Deeney have are not easy to find in other players.

"In the end, he's a really useful player and you can use him in different ways, but it depends on the coaches and style and what you need form your players and you can then choose him for your squad or not.

"He's a player that can have a chance for England."

While Deeney scored the goals for Jokanovic in 2014/15, Mitrovic is the man doing it now, having bagged himself four goals so far this season to add to the 12 he got on loan in the last campaign.

He'll be Fulham's biggest threat once more when Watford come to Craven Cottage and will hope to add to his tall

(Image: Marc Atkins/Getty Images)

He added: "I am happy with Mitrovic, new style, old style player, I know about young player, old player and I know about big and small and tall and short.

"I try to find difference between good player and not good enough player, and at the end we mentioned two players and I believe both are very good but it depends on what you want to play.

"Mitrovic is not a player that needs to chase on after Vietto flicked the ball on behind him and he's chasing the second ball, we know how we will use the quality and try not show all the weaknesses of the players."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/mitrovic-new-deeney-slavisa-jokanovic-15181880

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Watford: Craig Cathcart backs Cottagers to do well in Premier League

Craig Cathcart says Fulham's playing style under Slavisa Jokanovic will stand them in good stead throughout their maiden season back in the Premier League.

Jokanovic, who earned Watford promotion to the top tier in 2015, favours an attacking possession-based approach which has so far yielded four points in five league outings this season.

The Cottagers sit 15th in the table heading into Watford's visit to Craven Cottage this lunchtime, but Cathcart believes they are well equipped to prosper in the Premier League.

Cathcart said: "I think they have started really well and the style of football they have is suitable to the Premier League.

"They're a team that enjoy having the ball. We have been working on their strengths and weaknesses this week and we will try and nullify the threats they have."

For Cathcart the visit to south west London stirs up fond memories of a 5-0 win on Watford's last outing at Craven Cottage – a win which helped kick start a promotion push under Jokanovic.

The Northern Ireland defender enjoyed working under Fulham's boss and speaks highly of the 50-year-old Serbian.

"I had been out of the team for a while and it was my first game back in the team. It was great to come back. It is always a nice stadium to go and play at as well," Cathcart said.

"I have a lot of respect for Jokanovic. You could see how good a manager he was in getting us promoted and he has done a great job with Fulham."

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/16892931.fulham-vs-watford-craig-cathcart-backs-cottagers-to-do-well-in-premier-league/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Watford LIVE: Team news confirmed; Premier League latest updates
FULHAM welcome Watford to Craven Cottage looking to recover from last week's defeat to Manchester City. Follow the Premier League action LIVE with Express Sport

Fulham vs Watford: Express Sport brings you LIVE Premier League updates from Craven Cottage

Fulham have won 10 and lost nine of their 27 meetings with Watford, with eight draws between the teams
    Watford won 5-0 on their last visit to Fulham in the Championship in 2014, with Troy Deeney scoring a hat-trick
    Watford tasted defeat for the first time this season when they were beaten 2-1 at home by Manchester United
    Fulham have three defeats in their first five league games, and lost 3-0 to Manchester City in their last match

FULHAM vs WATFORD

Fulham XI: Bettinelli, Sessegnon, Chambers, Fosu-Mensah, Mawson, McDonald, Johansen, Schurrle, Seri, Mitrovic, Vietto

Watford XI: Foster, Janmaat, Cathcart, Holebas, Kabasele, Doucoure, Capoue, Hughes, Pereyra, Deeney, Gray

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1020596/Fulham-Watford-Premier-League-Live-Stream-Score-Goals-Fixtures-Aleksandar-Mitrovic-Latest

WhiteJC

Fulham team news: Slavisa Jokanovic rings the changes for the visit of Watford

The head coach has made two changes for the visit of Watford this afternoon

Fulham have made two changes for the visit of Watford this afternoon, with Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Calum Chambers being recalled to the starting XI.

It's another changed line-up for Slavisa Jokanovic who continues to tinker with his starting XI as he looks to find the best options for his side in the Premier League.

Tom Cairney misses out through injury once more after he picked up an ankle knock in the last outing at Craven Cottage when Fulham beat Burnley 4-2 at the start of the month, meaning Jean-Michael Seri, Kevin McDonald and Stefan Johansen start in the midfield.

Marcus Bettinelli continues in goal after reclaiming his place from Fabri, while Fosu-Mensah is joined by Chambers, Alfie Mawson and Ryan Sesegnon in the back four.

The front three remains the same, with Aleksandar Mitrovic leading the line flanked by Andre Schurrle and Luciano Vietto as Jokanovic looks to exploit Watford's defence at the Cottage.

Fulham: Bettinelli; Fosu-Mensah, Chambers, Mawson, Sessegnon; Seri, McDonald, Johansen; Vietto, Schurrle and Mitrovic

Subs: Rico, Christie, Odoi, Le Marchand, Anguissa, Ayite and Kamara

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-team-news-slavisa-jokanovic-15186241