more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (22/09/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 22, 2018, 07:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Before The Whistle: Watford

After a mixed start to the season, pressure is starting to build for the Whites. Following a throw-away, yet comprehensive, loss at the Etihad last weekend, we're back at the Cottage once again. Watford are the side to make the short trip South, and will be looking to continue their strong start to the season. Our man George Singer takes a look at what threat the Hornets pose!

After Shahid & Tony's surprisingly strong Summer transfer window, expectations of what Fulham fans could expect in the Premier League rose accordingly. Whilst we're hardly in crisis, our start to the season has been mildly disappointing, and we currently sit in 15th place. We have played some tough opponents, but the pressure is starting to build if we realistically want to enjoy a season comfortably above relegation.

Our next opponents are Watford – who have had an unexpectedly strong start to the season. Since taking over from Marco Silva in January, Javi Garcia has quietly built Watford into a strong Premier League team. In fact, before their loss to Manchester United, they had a 100% record, and odds were falling on the Hornets qualifying for the Europa League. So what should Slav do, as we look to take 3 points off his ex-employer?

Recent results

March 2015 Watford 1 – 0 Fulham

December 2014 Fulham 0 – 5 Watford

January 2007 Fulham 0 – 0 Watford

October 2006 Watford 3 – 3 Fulham

January 2005 Fulham 2 – 0 Watford

Last time we met

Watford are a team who, in recent years, we've rarely met. In fact, only once in the last 10 years have we sat in the same league table as them. We lined up against them back in Watford's promotion season in 14/15, where a certain Slavisa Jokanovic steered the Hornets to an impressive 2nd place.

The Whites team that season had high hopes, and were looking to bounce straight back up from relegation the previous year. Unfortunately, a disappointing first half of the season meant we instead were flirting with relegation, and Watford were pushing hard for a return to the Premier League after a 10 year absence.

Then managed by Kit Symons, Fulham were the architects of their own downfall – not for the first time that year. In a pretty close game at Vicarage Road, Troy Deeney proved to be the difference between the two sides, as Watford won by a single goal. The Englishman put the Hornets ahead early in the 9th minute with a typically powerful finish from a poorly defended corner. Despite some good attacks, the Whites couldn't beat Gomes in goal, and the loss meant they dropped down to 20th in the League.

Likely lineup

Watford will be lining up in their now-regular 4-2-2-2, which Javi Garcia has preferred since taking over the Hornets. It has brought them some immediate success, facilitating their simple-yet-effective playing style which has seen them rise to 4th in the table.

Off the ball, Capoue and Doucoure play a deep limited role, and Capoue especially offers an effective protective shielf for the back 4. Wide men Pereyra and Hughes will tuck inside, and look to close in on opposition midfielders and cut out passing opportunities.

When in attack, Watford will attack with width. Fullbacks Janmaat and Holebas like to get forward, and offer threat from wide. The Hornets also offer significant threat at set pieces: Watford have averaged 0.75 set piece goals per game this season – a league high.

One to watch

Despite approaching the twilight of his career, club talisman Troy Deeney is still performing at the peak of his ability, and is my one to watch this week.

Despite not looking the most athletic player, Deeney is one of the biggest physical threats the Premier League. The big man makes a living by bullying opposition defences, offering an aerial threat, and generally being a pain for opposition defences to deal with.

He's often seen hassling defenders at the top of the pitch, with his surprisingly high work-rate making him very effective at winning the ball high up the pitch. Expect him to hassle us when we're in possession, and with instability in our defence this may be something that Garcia asks him to exploit.

Notes for Slav

Whilst Watford have had an excellent start to the season, this still has to be viewed as a game where we aim to get points. Watford are outperforming expectations, as well as their expected numbers. They average 1xG per game, yet they are scoring at double this rate. They should be due a drop in form – and following their first loss to Manchester United this may be a good time to face them.

With two big men in central midfield, the obvious place for Slav to target in attack should be out wide. Hughes and Pereyra offer great ability on the ball, however by deploying wingers with naturally good attacking positioning we should cause some damage. Personally, I feel like it's time to move Sess up the pitch again. Whilst Vietto and Schurrle have done nothing wrong in their run in the side, this is the kind of game where Sess could exploit gaps in defence to break his Premier League duck. With Sess moving forward, this would allow Bryan space to move back into his left back position – and hopefully a return to his strong early season form.

COYW!!

https://fulhamish.co.uk/post/2018-09-20-before-the-whistle-watford/

WhiteJC

Fulham's on-loan sensation could combat Jose Holebas and Craig Cathcart to lead the Cottagers to glory against Watford

Andre Schurrle holds the key to Fulham's success against Watford

Slavisa Jokanovic's men have made a slow start to their Premier League campaign. The 3-0 defeat at the hands of Manchester City last weekend marked the Cottagers' third defeat of the ongoing season, having previously gone down to Crystal Palace and Tottenham Hotspur. The highlight of their current campaign came in the 4-2 win over Burnley when Aleksandar Mitrovic scored a brace with his head.

Although Fulham have made a lukewarm start to their season with only a solitary win from five games, they do not have much to worry about when they face Watford on Saturday. Not denying the fact that Watford have been in tremendous form but Fulham have also shown a lot of promise in the defeats against Spurs and City.

The club's plush financial backing helped them secure mega-money deals for Aleksandar Mitrovic (loan deal made permanent), Jean Michael Seri and Andre Schurrle (on loan).

Much to the joy of the manager, all his new signings have come good so far and have hit the ground running in the Premier League. While Mitrovic has surpassed all expectations, Seri has not only established himself as the team's midfield powerhouse but has also built a good reputation in England for his all-around excellence in the midfield. Meanwhile, Schurrle has been a lively presence down the left and already has two goals to his name.

Jose Holebas has been one of Watford's standout performers of the season along with Troy Deeney. The flying left-back has been involved in five of Watford's ten goals so far, scoring one himself and setting up another four for his teammates.

However, despite his contribution to the attack, he has often left open spaces for the opposition to exploit. Although he has commendable recovery pace, he has left far too much space for the opposition to launch attacks from the left.

Andre Schurrle has been in impressive form and had a good game against Manchester City. Schurrle should relish the luxury of having someone like Ryan Sessegnon as his partner down the left. Sessegnon must start the game as a left-back and his presence will offer Schurrle enough assistance with his overlapping runs.

Although Mitrovic has been in red-hot form, he did struggle against the strength of Nicolas Otamendi in the previous game. Truth be told, he could once again have a tough day against the in-form duo Christian Kabasele and Craig Cathcart in the heart of Watford's defence.

The duel between Schurrle and Holebas could go a long way in deciding the tie between these two evenly-matched teams this weekend.

http://www.mediareferee.com/2018/09/21/fulhams-on-loan-sensation-could-combat-jose-holebas-and-craig-cathcart-to-lead-the-cottagers-to-glory-against-watford/

WhiteJC

Gracia: "The Team Is Mentally Strong"

Javi Gracia is confident one narrow defeat at the hands of the Premier League's most decorated will not shake the belief of his team.

The Golden Boys had their 100 per cent record ended by Manchester United on Saturday and their air of invincibility punctured, but Gracia saw enough in the performance, particularly in the stirring second-half effort, to suggest the Hornets are still firmly on the right track and will win more than they lose playing like that.

"We had a good performance last week regardless of the result," said the Head Coach. "We played well – we didn't get a good result, but I'm pleased with the performance."

The Hornets came within a whisker of salvaging a point from the game and United went home knowing they had been pushed all the way. It would have been easy to roll over at 2-0 down but this team is made of stern stuff and Gracia does not expect a hangover against Fulham.

"After four wins in a row, the team is mentally strong," he said. "They don't need to get a good result to know we are doing good performances. Now in this moment, we are confident of keeping our level. We try to get better results knowing it will not be easy. We are training really well. Mentally, the team is strong and has the confidence it needs to take the result."

Fulham, on their own patch at Craven Cottage, will prove a different kettle of fish altogether. The Golden Boys are going to need to conjure up a similar performance to the one they did at Burnley to get anything out of the game.

"Fulham are playing really well," said the Watford Head Coach. "I know it will be a tough game but we are going to compete. The team are keeping a high level, and I think we are competing well. We are looking forward to the next game and we must keep our level. They are a team who like the possession, with a style of play where they are organised. We are ready for this game and we will see what happens."

The lunchtime kick-off pits Gracia against Slaviša Jokanović, the Serbian who guided the Hornets to promotion in 2015. The pair go way back.

"I know Jokanović from Spain," said Gracia. "I played against him some times and he was a very good player. This is his first season in the Premier League and they have a well-organised team. We know what we have to do and we try to surprise them. I am confident we can get a good result and get the three points."

Fulham have only won one of their first five games, but they have shown they have enough to mix it at this exalted level and should only get better once their raft of new signings are fully bedded in.

"They are a well-organised team," Gracia said. "They try to play a passing game and they always have more possession than other teams. They have an average of 54, 55 per cent and we have to be ready to defend well when we don't have the possession. I think we can create chances, score goals and win the game. Away at Burnley we were able to play well and get a good result. Now we are thinking in the same way. We try to keep our style of play, our mentality and to be aggressive."

Craig Cathcart and Christian Kabasele will certainly need to keep a close eye on Aleksandar Mitrović. He has four Premier League goals already this season and also scored two in a recent international game for Serbia.

"Mitrović is scoring the goals but for me Fulham is not just Mitrovic. There are many good players around him that help him to do his work. We have analysed Fulham this week and we try to do our best."

https://www.watfordfc.com/teams/first-team/gracia-team-mentally-strong

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Watford: Tom Cairney and Neeskens Cabano sidelined for hosts

Tom Cairney remains out with a foot problem. Picture: Action Images

Fulham will be without Tom Cairney and Neeskens Kebano for tomorrow's Premier League clash with Watford at Craven Cottage.

Cairney continues to nurse a foot concern, with Kebano still unable to shake off an ankle problem.

Defender Tim Ream is back in training after a thigh injury but will not be fully fit in time to feature against the Hornets.

Provisional squad: Bettinelli, Odoi, Le Marchand, Fosu-Mensah, Mawson, McDonald, Schurrle, Seri, Zambo, Mitrovic, Vietto, Fabri, Chambers, Christie, Bryan, Sessegnon, Johansen, Kamara.

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/16894050.fulham-vs-watford-tom-cairney-and-neeskens-cabano-sidelined-for-hosts/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Watford preview: Slavisa Jokanovic faces former club in live Sky Sports clash
Watch live on Sky Sports Premier League from 11.30am on Saturday

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic will face former club Watford live on Sky Sports Premier League at Saturday lunchtime.

The Serbian took charge of 36 matches in all competitions when manager of Watford between October 2014 and May 2015, and insists he still has positive memories of his time in charge.

He told Sky Sports: "All my memories from Watford are positive. It was a successful time for me and for Watford, too. People showed me a lot of respect, so I must respect the club, the players, the owner, too.

"The memories are really great. I'm pleased to have had the opportunity to work there but now my connection is here."

Fulham went down 3-0 at Manchester City last weekend as Jokanovic's team continues to find their feet following promotion back to the top flight, while Watford's four-game winning run was ended by Manchester United last Saturday.

For Watford boss Javi Gracia, the target is a return to winning ways.

He said: "They are a good team, a first season in the Premier League after they were promoted, they have a well-organised team. They know what they have to do and we will try to surprise them.

"I am confident we are able to get a good result and get the three points."

Team news

Watford's Gerard Deulofeu is still not fit to play and will not make the squad for Saturday's game.

Gracia also said midfielder Nathaniel Chalobah will play some part in the next three matches after recovering from injury, but refused to confirm if he would be used from the start against Fulham.

The Watford boss has fielded the same team in his first five Premier League matches, but declined to say whether he would make any changes following their first defeat.

Midfielder Tom Cairney will still be absent for Fulham after picking up an ankle injury last month.

Fellow midfielder Neeskens Kebano is also unavailable for the game, but defender Tim Ream is back in training after recovering from a problem.

However, Saturday's game will come too soon for him.

Opta stats

Fulham have failed to score in each of their last three league games against Watford (D1 L2).
    Fulham have kept clean sheets in five of their last seven league contests against Watford at Craven Cottage (W3 D2 L2).
    Since beating Arsenal 2-1 in January 2017, Watford have lost each of their last eight away Premier League games in London.
    Fulham have conceded at least twice in each of their last nine Premier League matches.
    This will be Fulham's 500th match in the Premier League; the 15th team to reach the milestone in the competition.
    Fulham are looking to win consecutive home Premier League games for the first time since April 2013.
    Watford captain Troy Deeney has netted four goals in his two league appearances against Fulham, including a hat-trick at Craven Cottage in December 2014.

Paul Merson's prediction

Watford are doing well, even in their defeat to Manchester United they had a chance at the end. I think Watford will be a bit too cute for Fulham and use their experience to get the result. They've been in the Premier League too long and I see them putting in a wily performance.

PAUL PREDICTS: 1-2 (10/1 with Sky Bet)

https://www.skysports.com/football/fulham-vs-watford/preview/390812

WhiteJC

Johansen out, Anguissa in - Fulham predicted XI to take on Watford as Jokanovic makes changes

We've taken a look at what we think the Fulham XI should be as the Cottagers welcome Watford to Craven Cottage

Fulham are in action in the early kick off on Saturday as they welcome Watford to Craven Cottage, looking for their second win of the season.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side were beaten 3-0 by Manchester City last week, with a 90th second goal from Leroy Sane putting pay to any game plan the Cottagers had to shackle the champions at the Etihad.

Stefan Johansen was given his first start of the season for the defeat, while Ryan Sessegnon was recalled to the starting XI with Cyrus Christie also getting a spot in the team as Jokanovic made three changes from the side that drew 2-2 with Brighton & Hove Albion.

Fulham will be without Tom Cairney and Neeskens Kebano for the game as they continue their recovery from injuries, while Tim Ream won't be ready for the game after returning to training in midweek.

But who should start for Fulham against Watford? Our reporter, Ryan O'Donovan, has taken a look at the side he would pick to take on Javi Gracia's Watford at Saturday lunchtime.

"I'd make a few changes for this game - starting with the midfield trio.

"Johansen was picked as Fulham looked to limit the gaps between midfield and defence to nullify runs in between by City's midfielders, but for this game I would swap him for Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa to give some steel in the midfield, but also someone with the ability to run at Watford's midfield.

Ryan O'Donovan's Fulham team to face Watford

"In defence, I'd bring back Timothy Fosu-Mensah for Christie at right back, he's done well at the Cottage and I think he's probably better going forward than the Irishman.

"The question of Ryan Sessegnon is an interesting one - I'd rather see Joe Bryan at left back myself but that then raises the question of where to play the youngster.

"Luciano Vietto and Andre Schurrle have done very well going forward and seem to work well together and with Aleksandar Mitrovic, so I'm not sure that breaking that trio is the best thing to do.

(Image: Naomi Baker/Getty Images)

"That said, Jokanovic seems to trust Sessegnon over Bryan at the moment so I would, despite it being an unpopular, keep Sessegnon at left back for this match.

"So I would go with: Bettinelli; Sessegnon, Mawson, Odoi, Fosu-Mensah; Anguissa, McDonald, Seri; Schurrle, Vietto and Mitrovic"

Do you agree with Ryan O'Donovan's starting XI? Use our team selector below to pick your team for the visit of Watford, then share it on social media.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/johansen-out-anguissa-fulham-predicted-15181525

WhiteJC

Matchday Preview

Fulham v Watford - Craven Cottage - Saturday 22nd September 2018 - 12.30pm

Fulham doubts

Tim Ream, Tom Cairney, Neeskens Kebano
Watford doubts

Gerard Deulofeu
Tickets

Tickets are still on sale to supporters with a booking history. Any bought on the day will need to be purchased at the Ticket Office.

Access

We advise supporters that due to damage to the gates at the entrance to Bishop's Park by All Saints Church, this entrance will be closed and we kindly ask fans to consider alternative routes when walking to and from the ground.
Weather

While it will be dry at kick-off, there is good chance of rain falling before the match concludes. Temperatures will be around 14 degrees.
Dafabet match odds

Fulham: 7/5

Draw: 12/5

Watford: 15/8
Live commentary

Tune into the App or the Match Centre for full live commentary of the game from Gentleman Jim and Jamie Reid.
He said...

"Fulham are a well-organised team. They try to play a passing game and they always have more possession than other teams. They have an average of 54, 55 per cent and we have to be ready to defend well when we don't have the possession." – Watford head coach Javi Gracia.
Watford last five

L: Watford 1-2 Manchester United

W: Watford 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur

W: Reading 0-2 Watford

W: Watford 2-1 Crystal Palace

W: Burnley 1-3 Watford
Five who played for both

Stefano Okaka Chuka, Heidar Helguson, Hameur Bouazza, Matthew Briggs, Alexander Kačaniklić

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/september/21/matchday-preview

WhiteJC

Fulham eager to show improvements from the training pitch against Watford, insists Jokanovic

Slavisa Jokanovic believes the side have improved over the past week and that they're ready to show those improvements on Saturday

Fulham are eager to show improvements from the training pitch when they take on Watford on Saturday lunchtime, insists Slavisa Jokanovic.

The head coach's side has been boosted by the return of last season's Player of the Year, Tim Ream, from injury and although he won't be fit to take part, his return will have had an impact on his team mates.

The Cottagers have shown improvements bit by bit as the weeks have rolled on and currently sit in 15th place in the Premier League, having won one game, drawn one and lost three.

Time was always going to be a key issue for the side after the brought in 12 new faces over the summer, including five on the final day of the transfer window, but now with over seven weeks since the closure of the window, Jokanovic is satisfied with his squad but admits he has missed Ream in the heart of defence.

That said, he has revealed he believes Fulham have had a good week in training and have made improvements - and believes his side are eager to show that when Watford come visiting on Saturday.

He said: "Ream is important for us - he's an important player in our defensive four and a guy who has a habit of working with us and he knows better than other players what is his position and style of the team.

"Okay, I miss him in different situations during the start of the Premier League but I must be satisfied with my squad and be working with my squad.

(Image: Daniel Hambury/PA Wire)

"I cannot blame my players after one month and a few days, I am talking about counting weeks, it's probably around seven and a half weeks having all the team.

"Behind of us is a good week, we are working in the right direction and I believe we are calm, focused and we believe we make some improvements.

"My feeling is that the team want to show this improvement on Saturday lunchtime against Watford - my sensation is positive."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-eager-show-improvements-training-15182115

WhiteJC

Under the radar: Fulham midfielder Jean-Michael Seri ahead of Watford
Fulham v Watford live on Sky Sports Premier League from 11.30am on Saturday

We evaluate Fulham midfielder Jean-Michael Seri ahead of Watford's trip to Craven Cottage, live on Sky Sports this Saturday.

The Ivory Coast star completed a shock move to the newly-promoted club this summer, after almost signing for Barcelona just one year ago.

Seri showed his class with a thunderbolt goal-of-the-month winner during a 4-2 victory against Burnley in late August, and produced similar glimpses of brilliance in the 2-2 draw with Brighton.

But the 27-year-old was at fault in the 3-0 drubbing at Manchester City last Saturday, when Fernandinho intercepted his complacent pass on the half-way line and teed up Leroy Sane to score with just 90 seconds on the clock.

But in what areas does the former Nice star excel?

Compared with the average Premier League midfielder to have played 225 minutes or more this term, the stats reveal he is superior at distribution, involvement and defensive duties.

The radar graphic below shows how Seri's primary attribute at Fulham so far has been creating chances, conjuring two per 90 minutes on average - ranking 12th out of all Premier League midfielders.

The Ivorian ranks eighth in the Premier League for successful passes with an average of 66 per game - distributing both short and long.

In addition to recording above-average stats for passes in the attacking third, Seri also excels at regaining possession and in the challenge with 2.2 interceptions and 2.7 tackles per game - ranking seventh and 17th in the league, respectively.

Seri ranks 38th for distance covered this term with an average of 11.4km in each of the three games he has completed a full game - and positional data suggests he is productive across most areas of the pitch.

A true box-to-box midfielder, the graphic below shows how Seri makes passes, tackles and interceptions from his own box to the opposition's penalty area - with a clear concentration of touches in the centre circle.

So can Seri pull the strings for Fulham against a Watford side that sit fourth in the Premier League with four wins out of five?

Both teams suffered defeat against 'big six' opposition last week, but Whites boss Slavisa Jokanovic will be looking for his main man to feed in-form Aleksander Mitrovic and record a second top-flight win.

Watch Fulham v Watford live on Sky Sports Premier League from 11.30am on Saturday

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/11503917/under-the-radar-fulham-midfielder-jean-michael-seri-ahead-of-watford

WhiteJC

adidas Parley Pre Match Jersey

Introducing Fulham's new adidas Parley pre-match jersey, available to purchase now.

Making its debut when the players warm-up ahead of kick-off at tomorrow's Premier League game with Watford, the new jerseys are made from a 100% recycled polyester that incorporates Parley Ocean Plastic.

The adidas Parley initiative seeks to transform plastic intercepted from beaches and coastal communities into high performance sportswear. Spinning the problem into a solution. The threat into a thread.

Fans are able to purchase the new Fulham adidas Parley pre-match jersey now online at shop.fulhamfc.com or from the Stadium Store at Craven Cottage.

#FORTHEOCEANS

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/september/21/adidas-parley-pre-match-jersey

WhiteJC

Fulham's FIFA 19 ratings: How Slavisa Jokanovic's team rank up in the latest game

Here's how each and every member of the Fulham side rank in FIFA 19

Fulham's FIFA 19 ratings have been revealed ahead of the game's release - and Jean-Michael Seri takes the highest rank in Slavisa Jokanovic's side.

He's been rated as 82 in the latest game, meaning he's considered as the Cottagers' best player and after his early season performances in the white of Fulham, it's easy to see why.

Tom Cairney isn't too far behind him, ranking at 79, while former World Cup winner Andre Schurrle is next on 78, making the trio Fulham's best players in the game.

The side's wonderkid Ryan Sessegnon ranks at 75 - he started last season's version at just 66 so there's a marked improvement in his rating after his 16-goal season for the Cottagers last season.

Interestingly in goal, both Fabri and Sergio Rico are rated at 80, while current number one, Marcus Bettinelli, is only rated at 72.

Here's how every Fulham player rates in the latest game.

Goalkeepers -

Fabri - 80

Sergio Rico - 80

Marcus Bettinelli - 72

Luca Ashby-Hammond - 55

(Image: Nick Potts/PA Wire)

Defenders -

Maxime Le Marchand - 75

Joe Bryan - 75

Alfie Mawson - 75

Calum Chambers - 75

Timothy Fosu-Mensah - 74

Tim Ream - 73

Cyrus Christie - 72

Denis Odoi - 69

Aron Davies - 59

Steven Sessegnon - 57

(Image: Henry Browne/Getty Images)

Midfielders -

Jean-Michael Seri - 82

Tom Cairney - 79

Andre Schurrle - 78

Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa - 75

Kevin McDonald - 75

Stefan Johansen - 75

Ibrahima Cisse - 67

Luca de la Torre - 63

Strikers -

Aleksandar Mitrovic - 76

Luciano Vietto - 76

Ryan Sessegnon - 75

Neeskens Kebano - 72

Rui Fonte - 71

Aboubakar Kamara - 71

Floyd Ayite - 70

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulhams-fifa-19-ratings-how-15182320

WhiteJC

Sessegnon needs time to 'grow up' in the Premier League

Fulham will give Ryan Sessegnon time to "grow up" and adapt to the Premier League, according to boss Slavisa Jokanovic.

The 18-year-old Craven Cottage sensation, who could pass 100 Fulham appearances this season, is already in his third full senior campaign.

The England Under-21 talent had a host of top clubs courting his services in the summer, but opted to stay put in west London.

Head coach Jokanovic has called for calm however, as the youngster starts to realise his rich potential.

"It is a new experience for him, he has come from one level to another: it's not time to rest, it's time to continue with this learning process," Jokanovic said.

"He must understand the difference between the Championship and the Premier League. It's a huge experience for him, all the minutes he is getting.

"We must be calm with him and give him space to grow up. He's a little bit more experienced now but there's huge space for him to reach his best level."

Fulham have bagged one win and one draw from their five encounters so far on their Premier League return.

They spent more than £100million recruiting a host of new talent following their Championship promotion, determined to become a top-flight fixture.

And Jokanovic freely admits he must deliver on the board's investment, and quickly.

"You need time but how much? Some coaches talk about years, but we are a completely new team and we need an express process," said Jokanovic, ahead of hosting former club Watford at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

"We need something fast because we don't have that time. With some different coaches you can see changes to their face or their hair. At the moment I am safe! I am not affected so much."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/sessegnon-needs-time-to-grow-up-jokanovic

WhiteJC

Transfer Battle: Jean-Michael Seri vs Abdoulaye Doucoure

Fulham were one of the busier teams in the summer transfer window as they looked to shape a squad capable of staying in the Premier League following their promotion from the Championship last season.

The west London club forked out to make Aleksandar Mitrovic's temporary move a permanent one, while they were also able to bring in Germany international Andre Schurrle from Borussia Dortmund on a two-year loan deal.

The pair have started the new campaign well and will continue to take all of the plaudits if they can keep up their goal-scoring exploits.

However, as well as Mitrovic and Schurrle, Jean-Michael Seri has also been impressive in Fulham's opening five Premier League fixtures.

The Ivorian midfielder joined for big money from Nice back in July and will do battle with Abdoulaye Doucoure — another talented midfield man — on Saturday when Fulham take on Watford at Craven Cottage.

So how do the two midfield men match-up?

Jean-Michael Seri

Prior to joining Fulham, Seri had been linked with the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Barcelona (via Sky Sports).

And in these opening games, the 27-year-old has shown that he would have slotted nicely into any of the above teams.

Their loss is Fulham's gain, of course, with the midfielder having brought much technical quality to Slavisa Jokanovic's side.

Seri has both the vision and passing to create chances from anywhere on the pitch and, when he is not crafting out opportunities for his team-mates, he can often be seen testing the opposition goalkeeper from long distance with his deadly long-shot ability.
TT Grade: A

Doucoure has quickly become a fan favourite at Vicarage Road since joining Watford in the summer of 2016, and it is not hard to see why.

The 25-year-old is a driving force from midfield, often bossing things in the middle of the park or making marauding runs past other midfield players.

Doucoure has also started to add more goals to his game, finishing the last Premier League campaign with seven goals compared to just the one he managed the previous term.

The Frenchman has been linked with a host of big clubs since the new year including Arsenal and Tottenham (via Evening Standard), but now looks set to remain at Vicarage Road for the foreseeable future after putting pen to paper on a new five-year deal last month.
TT Grade: A-

TT Verdict:

Doucoure's impact at Watford has been huge and his overall presence in midfield has made the Hornets such a tricky opponent to play against, especially at home.

Technically, however, Seri is just on another level. His passing and ability to strike the ball so well from outside the box — something he has already shown this season with his goal against Burnley — makes him one of the most gifted midfielders in the Premier League.

With the way Watford are playing, Doucoure may just come out on top when the Hornets and Fulham meet. But in this battle, the former Rennes man will have to settle for second place.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/features/transfer-battles/transfer-battle-jean-michael-seri-vs-abdoulaye-doucoure/

WhiteJC

PATIENCE Fulham starlet Ryan Sessegnon needs time to adjust to Premier League, says manager Slavisa Jokanovic

The 18-year-old starred in the Championship last season with 18 goals, but has endured a quiet start to the top flight campaign

Fulham starlet Ryan Sessegnon will be given time to adjust to the Premier League and 'grow up' as a footballer in his first ever top flight season, says manager Slavisa Jokanovic.

The 18-year-old sensation could pass 100 Fulham appearances this season, already his third full senior campaign for the Cottagers.

A host of top clubs are said to be tracking the England Under-21 ace after his brilliant breakthrough season in the Championship.

Sessegnon was wanted by some of the biggest clubs in England after impressing with 18 goals last season – moving from left-back to the left wing – but he opted to stay put at Craven Cottage.

He has endured a quiet start to his first Premier League campaign, but Jokanovic insist the club will be patient with the youngster as he acclimatises to top flight football.

"It is a new experience for him, he has come from one level to another: it's not time to rest, it's time to continue with this learning process," the Fulham boss told Sky Sports.

"He must understand the difference between the Championship and the Premier League. It's a huge experience for him, all the minutes he is getting.

"We must be calm with him and give him space to grow up.

"He's a little bit more experienced now but there's huge space for him to reach his best level."

Fulham have bagged one win and one draw from their five encounters so far on their Premier League return.

The Londoners spent more than £100million recruiting a host of new talent following their Championship promotion, determined to become a top-flight fixture.

And Jokanovic freely admits he must deliver on the board's investment, and quickly, to make a success of his Craven Cottage challenge.

Despite the pressure of fighting to fast-track Fulham's progress, the 50-year-old went on to joke that the stresses of Premier League management are not yet wearing through on his face.

"You need time but how much? Some coaches talk about years, but we are a completely new team and we need an express process," said Jokanovic, ahead of hosting former club Watford at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

"We need something fast because we don't have that time.

"With some different coaches you can see changes to their face or their hair. At the moment I am safe! I am not affected so much."

https://talksport.com/football/424822/fulham-ryan-sessegnon-premier-league-slavisa-jokanovic/

WhiteJC

Next one up – Watford (H)

The great thing about football is that there is always the next game. At City last week we spent the majority of the game chasing shadows, and while that will be the same story for may sides who visit the Etihad this season, it's still a memory that I want to eradicate quite quickly! So we move on to Watford tomorrow, a match which both sides will feel that they can win and bounce back from their respected defeats last weekend.

Watford started the season unbelievably well, with the win over Spurs particularly impressive. They have scored ten goals already this season, bettered only by Liverpool and Manchester City. They will also count themselves very unlucky to have lost on Saturday evening against Manchester United, but their second half display just came too late having already been 2-0 down. They are a strong team, and one that shouldn't be underestimated.

If there is one man who isn't going to underestimate Watford, it's got to be Slavisa Jokanovic. Having guided the Hornets to automatic promotion back in 2015, Jokanovic and Watford failed to agree on contract terms and the two parted ways in rather frustrating fashion for both parties. So maybe there will be an added sting (pardon the pun) to this game as Jokanovic faces his old side for the first time since leaving.

It's fair to say that Jokanovic surprised us all with his team selection last weekend, and while none of Stefan Johansen, Ryan Sessegnon at left back and Denis Odoi played badly, I'm hoping to see some changes tomorrow morning. I have no idea what Joe Bryan has done to deserve to be put out of the team after his brilliant displays against Palace, Spurs and Burnley. Hopefully we see him back there tomorrow. In terms of centre backs, I'd like to see Maxime Le Marchand partner Mawson this week. MLM was my surprise package in the first few games, but it all fell apart a bit when he was moved to left back against Brighton. He is much better in the centre and until Ream is fit again, I think a Mawson-MLM partnership is the way to go.

With Cairney out again tomorrow, I'd have Anguissa alongside McDonald and Seri. I have no doubt that the midfield battle will be key tomorrow, so it's important that Jokanovic makes the right call with his choices. Anguissa looked very impressive again against City last week when he came on and while Seri was at fault for the first goal, I have no doubt that he will bounce back from that against Watford.

I'm expecting a lot of chances for both sides tomorrow so it could come down to whose attackers are more on the ball. He was an isolated figure last weekend but I feel like this is the sort of game that Mitrovic absolutely thrives on, especially in front of a home crowd. His four goals this season have him joint second in the goal scoring charts, while his shot count is only bettered by Sergio Aguero. We have a player here who is hungry for goals and thankfully Fulham have given him the perfect platform to perform on. At the other side of the pitch our defender will have the difficult job of keeping Andre Gray and Troy Deeney quiet. Deeney reminds me a little bit of Mitrovic in terms of his tenacious attitude on the pitch, and he is a player who seems to always be in the middle of the action. While he only has two goals this season he is still a player to be wary of. Another player to watch out for is Jose Holebas. The defender has an impressive four assists and a goal already to his name this season so is without a doubt one of Watford's danger men.

This won't be an easy game but I think Fulham are due a performance tomorrow. Watford are dangerous, there is no doubt about it, but I think that we have the stronger midfield, and if we win that battle, then we will create more chances which Mitrovic is primed and ready to put away. I have a good feeling about this one.

#COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/09/next-one-up-watford-h/

WhiteJC

Cathcart: "We Want To Show What Kind Of Team We Are"

Hornets defender Craig Cathcart has spoken about Watford's determination to make every game count this season, ahead of the Golden Boys' trip to face Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Speaking to Premier League Productions, the Northern Irish international said they can take the momentum from their second-half display against Manchester United into this weekend's game against the Whites.

"The way we reacted after going two-nil down against a top team, you could let your head drop," said Cathcart. "But we spoke about it at half-time, and we wanted to go out and give a better performance.

"We showed we've got a fight in us and we could have come away with a better result.

"We want to show a good reaction to the first defeat. It's something we've spoken about - we want to show what kind of team we are this season, we want to try and get a positive result from the weekend."

What kind of team is that, exactly? Cathcart is one of three current first-team players who played in the Championship, got Watford promoted, and has helped the club stay up ever since.

"We're more of a team now," said the centre-half. "We're stronger as a squad.

"The continuity the manager has brought from the end of last season to the start of this season has been a big factor. We knew what he wanted to do and I think that's been a big part of how well we've started."

A lot of time in between games is spent focusing on the detail of how the opposition play, and coming up with a way to stop them creating chances, while still enabling the Golden Boys to get on the front-foot and play their football.

"We go through videos in the week of how Fulham play," said the defender. "All week in training, as soon as the last game is finished with, we're focused on the next game.

"We're full of confidence with what we're doing and the manager's instructions are paying off."

One man that will be familiar to Cathcart, and the travelling Watford supporters, is Slaviša Jokanović. The Serbian boss has two promotions from the EFL Championship under his belt, and is now in his first campaign as a Premier League manager.

"I had a good relationship with him," said Cathcart. "When you get on with a manager it's always a special feeling. He left at the end of that season, but you always want to see him do well.

"Since he's gone to Fulham he's managed to get them promoted playing some really good football, and he's done a great job there."

Cathcart is not going to give his former boss an easy ride though, and expects a very tough afternoon at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

He said: "They won't be afraid of any teams, they'll want to go and enjoy it. That's the feeling we had when we first came up, you want to challenge yourselves against the best teams. You go into every game excited, so I'm sure they are riding that feeling at the minute.

"It'll be up to us to keep the crowd quiet and try and nullify what they are trying to do."

One man that Cathcart and company will definitely want to keep quiet is Aleksandar Mitrović - the traditional centre-forward has four goals in five league games so far.

"He's a big, strong striker and it's something you get used to nowadays," said Cathcart. "Most of the strikers in the league are quick, strong, and aggressive so it will be a difficult challenge to play against him, but it's something I'm looking forward to.

"We go through the videos and try to work out what their strengths and weaknesses are. We try to cut the supply line to the strikers because that's what they need to score goals. If we can stop that then it'll go a long way to stop their team."

https://www.watfordfc.com/teams/first-team/cathcart-we-want-show-what-kind-team-we-are

WhiteJC

'We must be calm and give him space to grow up': Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic insists Ryan Sessegnon needs time to adapt to Premier League

Fulham will give Ryan Sessegnon time to 'grow up' and adapt to Premier League
    Slavisa Jokanovic insists he will stay calm as Sessegnon realises his potential
    The 18-year-old could already pass 100 appearances for Fulham this season
    He was vital to Fulham's promotion-winning campaign in the Championship

Fulham will give Ryan Sessegnon time to 'grow up' and adapt to the Premier League, according to boss Slavisa Jokanovic.

The 18-year-old Craven Cottage sensation could pass 100 Fulham appearances this season, already his third full senior campaign.

The England Under-21 talent had a host of top clubs courting his services in the summer, but opted to stay put in south west London.

Fulham will give Ryan Sessegnon time to 'grow up' and adapt to Premier League

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic insists he will stay calm as Sessegnon realises his potential

Manager Jokanovic has called for calm however, as the left winger starts to realise his rich potential.

'It is a new experience for him, he has come from one level to another: it's not time to rest, it's time to continue with this learning process,' Jokanovic told Sky Sports.

'He must understand the difference between the Championship and the Premier League. It's a huge experience for him, all the minutes he is getting.

'We must be calm with him and give him space to grow up.

'He's a little bit more experienced now but there's huge space for him to reach his best level.'

Sessegnon has struggled to make the same impact he made in the Championship this season

The Londoners spent more than £100million recruiting a host of new talent following their Championship promotion, determined to become a top-flight fixture.

And Jokanovic freely admits he must deliver on the board's investment, and quickly, to make a success of his Craven Cottage challenge.

Despite the pressure of fighting to fast-track Fulham's progress, the 50-year-old went on to joke that the stresses of Premier League management are not yet wearing through on his face.

The 18-year-old was crucial to Fulham's promotion-winning campaign in the Championship

'You need time but how much? Some coaches talk about years, but we are a completely new team and we need an express process,' said Jokanovic, ahead of hosting former club Watford at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

'We need something fast because we don't have that time.

'With some different coaches you can see changes to their face or their hair. At the moment I am safe! I am not affected so much.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6193213/Fulham-boss-Slavisa-Jokanovic-insists-Ryan-Sessegnon-needs-time-adapt-Premier-League.html

WhiteJC

Fulham v Watford: match preview

Fulham v Watford: probable starters in bold, contenders in light

Fulham may have the worst defence in the league in terms of goals conceded but their visit to the Etihad Stadium last week is a large factor. Slavisa Jokanovic is urging his side to be braver against Watford and this positive approach is likely to get the best out of Aleksandar Mitrovic. He has been key to Fulham's successes. Watford have lost their 100% record but should also be happy with Jokanovic's approach. Roberto Pereyra and Will Hughes should have plenty of space to cause chaos at the Cottage and return Watford to winning ways. Graham Searles

Saturday 12.30pm Sky Sports Premier League

Venue Craven Cottage

Last season n/a

Referee Martin Atkinson

This season G5 Y18 R0 3.6 cards/game

Odds H 6-4 A 2-1 D 28-11

FULHAM

Subs from Fabri, Rico, Johansen, Fonte, Sessegnon, Kamara, McDonald, Chambers, Cissé, Ayité, Bryan, Christie

Doubtful None

Injured Cairney (ankle, 29 Sep), Ream (thigh, 29 Sep), Kebano (ankle, Oct)

Suspended None

Discipline Y6 R0

Form LLWDL

Leading scorer Mitrovic 4

WATFORD

Subs from Dahlberg, Gomes, Britos, Prödl, Mariappa, Success, Masina, Femenía, Zeegelaar, Navarro, Quina, Peñaranda, Sema, Chalobah, Okaka, Wilmot, Kaboul

Doubtful Chalobah (knee)

Injured Deulofeu (foot, 29 Sep), Cleverley (achilles, unknown)

Suspended None

Discipline Y12 R0

Form WWWWL

Leading scorer Pereyra 3

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/21/fulham-watford-match-preview

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic will always be grateful to Watford giving him opportunity to manage in England

The Fulham head coach prepares to face his former side for the first time since he was sacked by Watford in 2015

Slavisa Jokanovic is grateful to Watford for giving him the opportunity to coach in England - despite how things turned out at the end of his reign.

The Fulham head coach takes on his former club for the first time since he was sacked after taking them to the Premier League at the end of the 2014/15 season on Saturday when the Hornets visit Craven Cottage.

Since then, Jokanovic has had spells in Israel with Maccabi Tel Aviv, where he managed in the Champions League, and now with Fulham, with whom he became the first foreign manager to secure two promotions to the Premier League when he took the side up through the play-offs last year.

He never got the chance to manage Watford in the top flight when he was relieved of duties at the end of their promotion campaign for Quique Flores, but ahead of the game on Saturday lunchtime Jokanovic holds no grudges and is grateful for the side giving him the opportunity to manage in England.

He said: "When one door closes, another opens and you can keep going in your life.

"All my memories are positive for this period and all my respect for the club, fans and owner of the club.

"It's not easy to find opportunities to work in England, especially from the part of the world I come from, and they gave me an opportunity and this chance and I caught it.

Slavisa Jokanovic celebrates promotion to the Premier League with Watford in 2015 (Image: Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)

"At the end, I must be grateful to all the people around me in this period of my coaching careers."

"I am not upset, I am talking so many times about this situation.

"They gave me the opportunity to work in this country and fortunately for myself and this club too, we made a successful season and got promoted to the Premier League.

(Image: Michael Regan/Getty Images)

"My contract ended, I wanted to stay in this place and I felt club choose different way for the future.

"I must accept this decision and where one door closes, another opens and keep going and continue working.

"I am now in the same level as Watford and I am thinking about this game."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/slavisa-jokanovic-always-grateful-watford-15183409

WhiteJC

How should Fulham should line-up against Watford?

Fulham host early-season high-flyers Watford at Craven Cottage on lunchtime Saturday, with both sides hoping to bounce back from Mancunian defeats.

The Whites were trounced by City while the Hornets were narrowly bested by United, the latter result representing Watford's first loss of the season.

If Fulham hope to inflict a second straight setback to the Hertfordshire side, they must copy their Burnley game-plan with a few key alterations.

In Slavisa Jokanovic's pre-match press conference, the Serbian manager insisted his side would continue to play brave, attacking football.

As a result, expect Fulham to roll out their familiar 4-3-3 formation, despite the criticism levelled against the tactics last week.

In defence, both Marcus Bettinelli and Alfie Mawson will keep their places, but those will be the only constants in the back five from last weekend's defeat.

Jokanovic must reinstate Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Joe Bryan as full-backs, as well as starting Maxime le Marchand in his preferred centre-half role.

With Tom Cairney missing from midfield, Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa should fill his absence, adding steel with Kevin McDonald and complementing the panache of Jean-Michael Seri.

Up front, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Andre Schurrle deserve to keep their places, but a major shift Jokanovic must make is reinstating Ryan Sessegnon at left wing.

The 18-year-old struggled in his opening league matches and was dropped to the bench before the 4-2 win against Burnley, yet has shone in a substitute appearance at Brighton as well as at left-back versus Manchester City.

Vietto was quiet in the past two matches, but the energy and eye for goal from the Englishman will be vital for Fulham's success against Watford.

The Whites must begin the match brightly and provide plenty of service to Mitrovic, who has been on lethal form ever since joining Fulham in January.

If Seri can rebound from a poor performance at the Etihad, the Ivorian can pull the strings in SW6 and set Fulham's front three up for success.

When Fulham create chances, they thrive. And with an attacking 4-3-3 boosted by a solid midfield, the Cottagers will hope to knock off the fourth-best side in the Premier League on Saturday.

https://tbrfootball.com/fulham-line-up-against-watford/