more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (23/09/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 23, 2018, 08:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Full Time - Fulham vs. Watford
Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

In this episode, we shared our "initial reactions" to Fulham's 1-1 draw against Watford. Co-host Max Cohen shared his thoughts shortly after the match ended.

Just a reminder that, Cottage Talk Full Time, will be recorded after each match, and this will be followed up by the Cottage Talk Post Match Show which will be recorded the next day.

you can listen to the podcast here...
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cottagetalk/2018/09/22/cottage-talk-full-time--fulham-vs-watford

WhiteJC

I wanted to bring four subs on at half-time – Fulham boss Jokanovic
The hosts equalised with 12 minutes remaining.

Slavisa Jokanovic was unhappy at half-time (Chris Radburn/PA)

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic wanted to make four half-time substitutions following his side's sloppy start in the 1-1 draw with Watford.

The Whites trailed at the interval due to Andre Gray's second-minute goal and would have been further behind but for the visitors' profligacy.

Jokanovic replaced the hapless Alfie Mawson and captain Kevin McDonald at the break, introducing Floyd Ayite and Denis Odoi.

It prompted a much-improved second-half display, with Aleksandar Mitrovic stabbing home a 78th-minute equaliser and then being denied a last-minute winner by the fingertips of Ben Foster.

"I make two changes; if I'd had the opportunity I would have made four, I would do it," said Jokanovic.

"It's not a question about one player or another player, no player was at a good enough level in the first 45 minutes.

"At the end, I tried to make some kind of support for my team and move a little bit different.

"Credit for the team, they showed a different level in the second 45 minutes and changed the story."

After defensive indecision led to the opener, Fulham survived scares when Troy Deeney, Christian Kabasele and Gray all spurned good chances to extend the slender advantage.

The home side could have been reduced to 10 men in the 32nd minute when Timothy Fosu-Mensah escaped with only a yellow card following a dangerous, studs-up challenge on Deeney.

Defender Mawson, who had already been booked for wiping out Roberto Pereyra, then slid in on Will Hughes in the box without touching the ball, but referee Martin Atkinson waved away the penalty appeals.

Fulham began with renewed purpose in the second period and Mitrovic's late leveller ensured a point for Jokanovic in his first meeting with his former club.

The 50-year-old departed Vicarage Road in the summer of 2015 having guided them to promotion to the top flight, but played down the personal significance of denying the high-flying Hornets a fifth win from six Premier League games.

"This is so many years ago," he said. "I'm really grateful to have an opportunity working in Watford, but actually right now my business is here and I am focused for working with my team."

Watford boss Javi Gracia felt his side paid the price for not finishing off Fulham.

"I think we played really well first half where we could score more goals and kill the game," he said.

"But in the second they changed a little bit the shape and we didn't adjust our high press in the same way and they feel a little bit more comfortable.

"I think first half we played much better and it was our chance to win today.

"We made a defensive mistake in that minute and they scored a goal."

Speaking about Fosu-Mensah's challenge on Deeney, Spaniard Gracia said he accepted the action taken by referee Atkinson.

"That situation, I prefer to respect the referee's decision because they know better than me," he added.

"I'm on the bench and, from my position, I didn't see really well the action.

"I try to support them (referees) because I know it's not easy to do his work."

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/i-wanted-to-bring-four-subs-on-at-halftime-fulham-boss-jokanovic-37343794.html

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic praises Fulham's attitude and character after Watford draw

Fulham's attitude and character was praised by Slavisa Jokanovic after they had come from behind to draw 1-1 against Watford, but he admitted his side were fortunate not to concede more goals in the first half.

The Craven Cottage were a clear second best in the opening period, but the Hornets' inability to build on Andre Gray's early opener gave the former Watford boss' side hope after the break.

Jokanovic, as he did during his time at the Vicarage Road helm, was not afraid to change his starting line-up if it wasn't working and a double substitution at the break helped lead to a better display from the hosts and an equaliser for Aleksandar Mitrovic.

"We weren't working good enough in the opening 45 minutes," the Fulham boss admitted. "We started really sloppily and gave them the chance for the first goal after one-and-a-half minutes, similar to the last game against [Manchester] City. We started really confused and they were faster.

"They played long ball but they didn't need to fight for the second phase because they always protect the ball and play in our our last third of the pitch. Fortunately, they didn't score some more goals in the first half.

"In the second half we started to be a little bit more offensive and the team showed a great attitude and character and start to move the ball a little bit better. We pushed and scored the goal and at the end we could have finished it with three points if we a little bit more lucky.

"I believe the result was fair but with this kind of sloppy start you can pay a really, really expensive price if you are not focused and concentrated for the whole game."

Asked about his half-time changes which saw Denis Odoi and Floyd Ayite replace Alfie Mawson and captain Kevin McDonald, Jokanovic said: "I made two changes, but in the end it's not a question about one player or another player or what I changed.

"I try to support my team and make a little bit of a difference, but credit to the team, they showed a different level in the second 45 minutes and changed the story."

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/16896774.slavisa-jokanovic-praises-fulhams-attitude-and-character-after-watford-draw/

WhiteJC

Mitrovic nicks a point for Fulham

Given the sloppy nature of Fulham's start against high-flying Watford this lunchtime, Slavisa Jokanovic would have been mightily pleased with the way he side ended the contest with a point. For the second week in succession, the Whites surrendered an all-too-avoidable goal inside the first ninety seconds and, just as at the Etihad last weekend, Fulham could have been dead and buried within the first half. That they produced a stirring second half recovery, and might have nicked all three points at the death, owed much to the predatory instincts of the inspirational Aleksandar Mitrovic, some real resilience and two decisive half-time changes from the head coach.

Jokanovic selected his sixth different back four of the season, but the hosts' defensive frailties didn't take long to come to the surface. From a straightforward throw in, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Calum Chambers, Alfie Mawson and Jean-Michael Seri all squandered opportunities to clear their lines, allowing Will Hughes to poke a ball through for Andre Gray, who gleefully tucked a finish past the stranded Marcus Bettinelli. Gray and the powerful Troy Deeney have struck up a potent partnership that has helped the Hornets surge towards the top of the Premier League table and they looked likely to secure another victory inside a first half that the visitors thoroughly dominated.

Only a combination of the brilliance of Marcus Bettinelli in the Fulham goal and some careless finishing kept the deficit down to a single goal. Bettinelli, who was outstanding in the 3-0 defeat by champions Manchester City last week, made himself big to deny Deeney at his near post and alive to the danger when a woefully short back header from Mawson gave Gray a glorious chance to grab his second – spreading himself to repel the former Brentford forward's snapshot. In between those two blocks, Fulham escaped unharmed when Christian Kabasele's bullet header bounced off Ryan Sessegnon's back and away to safety at a Watford corner.

Mawson and Chambers looked all at sea at the heart of an overworked Fulham defence. Mawson was hauled off at half-time having been booked for a wild hack at Roberto Pereyra, whilst Chambers had donated the ball to Watford in dangerous positions with concerning regularity. Fosu-Mensah was more than fortunate to escape a red card midway through the first period after a late lunge at Deeney and Fulham could count themselves lucky to still be in the contest at the break, although Pereyra was only a yard away from curling in a splendid finish from an acute angle just before half-time.

Jokanovic's change of shape and personnel proved pivotal at the break. Fulham had threatened only fleetingly in the first half, with Luciano Vietto twice denied by the alertness of Ben Foster, and referee Martin Atkinson waving away a penalty appeal when Mitrovic appeared to have been flattened in the box. They struggled to keep the ball – something that was rectified when the peerless Denis Odoi replaced Mawson – and Jokanovic also gambled by introducing Floyd Ayite for Kevin McDonald to try and give his side another outlet in attack.

It took just four minutes for Fulham to fashion an opportunity far more clear-cut than they had managed in the first half. Andre Schurrle, now operating off Mitrovic, darted into space down the left and delivered a teasing cross that the Serbian striker rose majestically to meet with his head. He was furious that he ballooned it harmlessly over the bar but it sounded a warning to Watford of Fulham's attacking intentions. Vietto then blazed disappointing in the Hammersmith End after a lightning counter attack before Bettinelli got down sharply to deny Gray at his near post at the other end.

Fulham gradually began to work up a head of steam and stepped up the intensity when Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa replaced the ineffectual Stefan Johansen. Patterns of patient possession football penned Watford back and Mitrovic, who had sent two headed half chances wide, flicked home his fifth goal of the season from close range after fine work from Vietto and Sessegnon down the left with twelve minutes to go. The lively Argentinian scampered away from Daryl Janmaat and had the composure to pick out Mitrovic, who got the deftest of touches beyond Foster at the near post to level matters.

A gripping and open finale ensued. Deeney robbed Chambers outside the Fulham defender's own box but then lacked the conviction to go for goal himself, overhitting his intended pass for Isaac Success, before the substitute almost found a winner on his own, working half a yard of space beautifully with a shimmy, but Bettinelli blocked the Nigerian's shot with his legs. It was Jokanovic's side who almost stole the victory at the death with Foster producing a couple of magnificent saves to deny Mitrovic a winner. He somehow clawed away a curler from 20 yards that looked destined for the top corner before getting his fingertips to the former Newcastle forward's dipping header from the resultant corner.

FULHAM (4-3-3): Bettinelli; Fosu-Mensah, R. Sessegnon, Mawson (Odoi 45), Chambers; McDonald (Ayite 45), Johansen (Anguissa 64), Seri; Schurrle, Vietto, Mitrovic. Subs (not used): Rico, Christie, Le Marchand, Kamara.

BOOKED: Mawson, Fosu-Mensah.

GOAL: Mitrovic (78).

WATFORD (4-2-2-2): Foster; Janmaat, Holebas, Kabasele, Cathcart; Capoue, Doucoure; Hughes (Femenia 70), Pereyra (Sema 90); Deeney, Gray (Success 80). Subs (not used): Gomes, Mariappa, Chalobah, Masina.

BOOKED: Holebas.

GOAL: Gray (2).

REFEREE: Martin Atkinson (West Yorkshire).

ATTENDANCE: 23,418.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2018/09/mitrovic-nicks-a-point-for-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham boss wanted to make four changes against Watford

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic wanted to make four half-time substitutions following his side's sloppy start in the 1-1 draw with Watford.

The Whites trailed at the interval due to Andre Gray's second-minute goal and would have been further behind but for the visitors' profligacy.

Jokanovic replaced the hapless Alfie Mawson and captain Kevin McDonald at the break, introducing Floyd Ayite and Denis Odoi.

It prompted a much-improved second-half display, with Aleksandar Mitrovic stabbing home a 78th-minute equaliser and then being denied a last-minute winner by the fingertips of Ben Foster.

"I make two changes; if I'd had the opportunity I would have made four, I would do it," said Jovanovic.

"It's not a question about one player or another player, no player was at a good enough level in the first 45 minutes.

"At the end, I tried to make some kind of support for my team and move a little bit different.

"Credit for the team, they showed a different level in the second 45 minutes and changed the story."

After defensive indecision led to the opener, Fulham survived scares when Troy Deeney, Christian Kabasele and Gray all spurned good chances to extend the slender advantage.

The home side could have been reduced to 10 men in the 32nd minute when Timothy Fosu-Mensah escaped with only a yellow card following a dangerous, studs-up challenge on Deeney.

Defender Mawson, who had already been booked for wiping out Roberto Pereyra, then slid in on Will Hughes in the box without touching the ball, but referee Martin Atkinson waved away the penalty appeals.

Fulham began with renewed purpose in the second period and Mitrovic's late leveller ensured a point for Jokanovic in his first meeting with his former club.

The 50-year-old departed Vicarage Road in the summer of 2015 having guided them to promotion to the top flight, but played down the personal significance of denying the high-flying Hornets a fifth win from six Premier League games.

"This is so many years ago," he said. "I'm really grateful to have an opportunity working in Watford, but actually right now my business is here and I am focused for working with my team."

Watford boss Javi Gracia felt his side paid the price for not finishing off Fulham.

"I think we played really well first half where we could score more goals and kill the game," he said.

"But in the second they changed a little bit the shape and we didn't adjust our high press in the same way and they feel a little bit more comfortable.

"I think first half we played much better and it was our chance to win today.

"We made a defensive mistake in that minute and they scored a goal."

Speaking about Fosu-Mensah's challenge on Deeney, Spaniard Gracia said he accepted the action taken by referee Atkinson.

"That situation, I prefer to respect the referee's decision because they know better than me," he added.

"I'm on the bench and, from my position, I didn't see really well the action.

"I try to support them (referees) because I know it's not easy to do his work."

http://londonfootballnews.co.uk/fulham/fulham-boss-wanted-to-make-four-changes-against-watford/

WhiteJC

'No player was at a good enough level in the first 45 minutes': Slavisa Jokanovic says he wanted to make FOUR changes at half-time after Fulham's sloppy start against Watford

Slavisa Jokanovic slammed Fulham's first-half display against Watford
    The Whites boss says he wanted to make four changes at half-time on Saturday
    Fulham trailed Watford 1-0 at the break after Andre Gray's early opener
    Jokanovic brought on Floyd Ayite and Denis Odoi to spark a turnaround
    They earned a point in the second period thanks to Aleksandar Mitrovic's goal

Slavisa Jokanovic (pictured) slammed Fulham's first-half display against Watford

The Whites boss says he wanted to make four changes at half-time on Saturday

'I make two changes; if I'd had the opportunity I would have made four, I would do it,' said Jokanovic.

'It's not a question about one player or another player, no player was at a good enough level in the first 45 minutes.

'At the end, I tried to make some kind of support for my team and move a little bit different.

'Credit for the team, they showed a different level in the second 45 minutes and changed the story.'

Summer signing Alfie Mawson (front-left) was hauled off after a tough opening 45 minutes

'This is so many years ago,' he said. 'I'm really grateful to have an opportunity working in Watford, but actually right now my business is here and I am focused for working with my team.'

'I think we played really well first half where we could score more goals and kill the game,' he said. 'But in the second they changed a little bit the shape and we didn't adjust our high press in the same way and they feel a little bit more comfortable.

'I think first half we played much better and it was our chance to win today.

'We made a defensive mistake in that minute and they scored a goal.'

'That situation, I prefer to respect the referee's decision because they know better than me,' he added.

'I'm on the bench and, from my position, I didn't see really well the action. I try to support them (referees) because I know it's not easy to do his work.'

Fulham earned a point in the second period thanks to Aleksandar Mitrovic's 78th minute goal

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6196791/Jokanovic-says-wanted-make-FOUR-Fulham-changes-half-time-against-Watford.html

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic won't place blame on any of his players for Fulham's dismal first half showing

Fulham found themselves 1-0 down with two minutes and endured a torrid first half against Watford

Slavisa Jokanovic insisted he can't blame anyone for Fulham's first half performance and that he knows more about his squad now than he did at the start of the day.

The Cottagers struggled for the first 45 minutes against a physical Watford side whose pressing game didn't allow the hosts to settle on the ball, forcing them into basic errors that caused havoc in Fulham's back line.

Alfie Mawson and Calum Chambers were picked as the starting centre backs by Jokanovic, and despite playing together previously for England U21s, they struggled massively, with Mawson being hauled off at half time for Denis Odoi,

That substitution, along with Floyd Ayite's introduction, helped stabilise things and Fulham were able to drag themselves back into the game, with Aleksandar Mitrovic bagging his fifth goal of the season to level things at 1-1.

And Jokanovic has insisted that he can't put blame on anyone for the first half as he continues to find out more about his new-look team.

He said: "I'm not thinking of next week, I am thinking of Tuesday.

"I start today with two of my most experienced Premier League players that I have and we didn't find enough answers during the game.

"They played together before, but I cannot blame anybody because it's not my intention, I am new coach for them and they are new players for me, this is our sixth game in the Premier League.

"We must know who is who, I make one lap, second lap is to check my player and at the end I know a bit more today than yesterday and probably I will know more the next day.

(Image: Steve Bardens/Getty Images)

"I repeat, it's not only two players that I changed in the 45 minutes, we didn't make enough good job in the first half.

"I try to fix it and find some kind of the situation, fortunately for us it was working a bit, still it can be better in the future."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/slavisa-jokanovic-wont-place-blame-15187792

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic's changes & defensive frailties - Talking points from Fulham vs Watford

Here's what our reporter, Ryan O'Donovan, took from Fulham's 1-1 draw with Watford on Saturday

Ryan Sessegnon starts at left back once more

Slavisa Jokanovic made two changes once again for the visit of Watford, recalling Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Calum Chambers, but not Joe Bryan.

That meant that Sessegnon, who also started at left back against Manchester City last week, was picked at in that same position once more, despite Bryan being fully fit for the game.

He didn't even make the bench, and while Sessegnon grew into the game his position for the first goal was erratic and he was often overrun on the left hand side as Watford looked to double up on him in the first half.

Last season we saw the 18-year-old play at both left back and left forward, playing in the latter position with deadly effect as he scored 16 goals for his club during the course of the Championship season.

But Jokanovic has started to use him more as a left back again this season, believing he did well against City and Raheem Sterling last week.

It remains up for debate whether or not Sessegnon is better utilised further forward or at left back in the top flight, but with Luciano Vietto and Andre Schurrle playing so well, if Jokanovic doesn't pick Sessegnon at left back it may mean there's no place for the wonderkid in the side at all at the moment.

Chaos ensues due to Fulham's poor shape

The first half defensive performance was a shambles and at times looked like a game of playground football.

There was a lack of shape and communication on all accounts, with players breaking forward and getting out of position without any real care of the space they were leaving or the problems it would cause.

At times, it looked like the back four had never met one another, let alone trained together, and Fulham were very lucky their lack of shape didn't cost them more than just the one goal.

This kind of stuff should be improving as each day goes by, but this was the worst that I've seen Fulham in terms of defensive shape and it will leave Jokanovic pulling his hair out.

You need to be tactically disciplined in the Premier League and today, Fulham weren't.

On another day, they could've been blown away by a different team.

Defensive concerns continue

And that leads onto defensive concerns.

Fulham have conceded the second most amount of goals in the Premier League this season, only one behind Cardiff City and Huddersfield Town, and things don't seem to be getting any better.

Watford could've scored a bagful in the first half, and on another day probably would've, but you don't get the sense that Fulham are comfortable defending whatsoever in this division.

Denis Odoi came on and added some stability to the back line, but there was still times sloppy errors nearly saw them concede, like when Chambers gave the ball away cheaply, allowing Troy Deeney to run one-on-one with Marcus Bettinelli before Odoi got back to clear the danger.

It has to improve and that improvement has to start immediately.

The side may have a strong attack, but if they continue defending like they have done in the first six games of the season, they'll find it very hard not to get dragged into a relegation dogfight.

Slavisa Jokanovic's half time substitutes

Fulham needed a change at half time and Slavisa Jokanovic provided it by bringing on Odoi and Floyd Ayite in place of Alfie Mawson and Kevin McDonald.

They raised eyebrows at the time, but Odoi cut a composed figure in the heart of defence, providing some solidity in an otherwise flimsy back four, while his ability to get on the ball and play football meant that Fulham had a base from which to build their attacks upon.

Ayite's introduction meant that Stefan Johansen and Jean-Michael Seri could sit deeper as a defensive midfield pairing, cutting the space that Watford were exploiting between Fulham's midfield and defence in the first half.

That allowed Luciano Vietto and Andre Schurrle to combine even more than they have done in the past, with Schurrle sitting at the top of a flat three that included Ayite on the left and Vietto on the right.

The pair caused problems going forward after the break, with Vietto laying the ball on a plate for Aleksandar Mitrovic to net his fifth of the season and get a point for Fulham.

Jokanovic was quick to play down his role in making the substitutions and credited his side with turning the game around, but the head coach deserves as much credit as any one else for his role in the turnaround.

Aleksandar Mitrovic scores again

Another game, another Mitrovic goal.

He's in red hot form for Fulham and sits at the top of the goal scoring charts, alongside Chelsea's Eden Hazard, as he's continued his form from last season.

If anyone needed to see it again, yesterday proved just how important Mitrovic is to the way Fulham play and is probably the key to them staying up this season.

It's clear that he loves Fulham and that Fulham loves him - long may that continue.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/slavisa-jokanovics-changes--defensive-15187998