Slavisa Jokanovic

Started by Jack78, October 13, 2018, 09:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Quote from: alfie on October 14, 2018, 07:48:23 PM
Quote from: I Ronic on October 14, 2018, 03:04:07 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on October 14, 2018, 02:32:57 PM
Quote from: I Ronic on October 14, 2018, 12:46:20 PM
I think Slavisa Jokanovic is the best thing to happen at Fulham for years.Things aren't going his way at the moment but that's no reason to panic. Over the years he has brought a different brand of football to the Club. Which now runs through all the teams here. For me, losing him would be far worse than relegation.

'For me, losing him would be far worse than relegation'.

I find this statement really interesting. To me it is an alien concept to put a coach or any player above the club as keeping and being relegated is better than losing him and staying up is for you. I can see the good he has done but not sure I am blind to the faults he has either. No I would always say the club must stay up over and above losing any coach or player.

We will always be at the very best a midtable club and more likely than not struggle to stay in this league. Slavisa wants his team to play football the way it's meant to be played. He's having a tough time but he, along with the Khans are the perfect team to break that cycle. Sahid Khan is ambitiousis. He has the money if it's spent wisely. I can't think of another Fulham manager who promotes youth from within I do believe he could be a great manager.
I am sure that most people thought Leicester were just a mid table club.

They are but got lucky in a  season where circumstance, teams rebuilding and  plenty of fortune allowed them to win the title once. They will never get close again unless luck and circumstance happen to be on their side. But let's not pretends they were ever more than a one season wonder.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

hovewhite

Leicesters achieving that title was magnificent.
Can't see it happening again.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 13, 2018, 02:06:15 PM
I am convinced we will stay in the Premier League, no matter who is the manager.
Of course I hope it's Jok, as he was the manager that took us there.
In the same way I hope our Goal Keeper is Marcus, as he was the Goalkeeper who also contributed to us getting there.

Case of blind loyalty. Respect what they did in the past, but don't be blind to the present.

MJG

I think Slavisa Jokanovic is the best thing to happen at Fulham for years.Things aren't going his way at the moment but that's no reason to panic. Over the years he has brought a different brand of football to the Club. Which now runs through all the teams here. For me, losing him would be far worse than relegation.

I find this statement really interesting. To me it is an alien concept to put a coach or any player above the club as keeping and being relegated is better than losing him and staying up is for you. I can see the good he has done but not sure I am blind to the faults he has either. No I would always say the club must stay up over and above losing any coach or player.

We will always be at the very best a midtable club and more likely than not struggle to stay in this league. Slavisa wants his team to play football the way it's meant to be played. He's having a tough time but he, along with the Khans are the perfect team to break that cycle. Sahid Khan is ambitiousis. He has the money if it's spent wisely. I can't think of another Fulham manager who promotes youth from within I do believe he could be a great manager.
Which they still are
14/15 14th
15/16 12th
16/17 1st
17/18 9th
18/19 10th atm

Everyone can see it was a great achievement by them, but its also a once in maybe 25 years win. And they have done well to still be a mid table team in a bloody hard league.
Just the views of a long term fan

toshes mate

A former Fulham Legend once described Fulham as 'a nice club, a social club'.  He also said we were 'never a serious championship challenging club'.  He went on to manage Ipswich Town and for nine seasons in the top flight they finished lower than sixth only once.  He said of himself 'In all my time as a footballer, I didn't win a thing'. That was, of course, Sir Bobby Robson.

Success is a funny thing because we each have our own measures of what it means as compared to what the mass media may want you to make it mean.  Leicester's title win may be priceless to the romantic but a 'fluke' to the cynic.  The cynic will, of course, believe there are clubs entitled to win everything because they are 'big', 'rich', 'popular'. and 'have all the best players'.  Was MAF a romantic or a cynic?  Are the Khans romantics or cynics?

If the Leicester situation cannot be repeated more often than once in a generation then what on earth have we done to football and competition? 

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate on October 15, 2018, 09:30:46 AM
A former Fulham Legend once described Fulham as 'a nice club, a social club'.  He also said we were 'never a serious championship challenging club'.  He went on to manage Ipswich Town and for nine seasons in the top flight they finished lower than sixth only once.  He said of himself 'In all my time as a footballer, I didn't win a thing'. That was, of course, Sir Bobby Robson.

Success is a funny thing because we each have our own measures of what it means as compared to what the mass media may want you to make it mean.  Leicester's title win may be priceless to the romantic but a 'fluke' to the cynic.  The cynic will, of course, believe there are clubs entitled to win everything because they are 'big', 'rich', 'popular'. and 'have all the best players'.  Was MAF a romantic or a cynic?  Are the Khans romantics or cynics?

If the Leicester situation cannot be repeated more often than once in a generation then what on earth have we done to football and competition? 

You can say that again, spot on.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on October 15, 2018, 09:30:46 AM

Well when you look at tghe list of all PL winners in the last 26 years you get this...
Manchester United
Manchester United
Blackburn Rovers
Manchester United
Manchester United
Arsenal
Manchester United
Manchester United
Manchester United
Arsenal
Manchester United
Arsenal
Chelsea
Chelsea
Manchester United
Manchester United
Manchester United
Chelsea
Manchester United
Manchester City
Manchester United
Manchester City
Chelsea
Leicester City
Chelsea
Manchester City

We all know why Blackburn won, so yes it looks like it is one in a generation.

alfie

Quote from: MJG on October 15, 2018, 08:52:00 AM

Which they still are
14/15 14th
15/16 12th
16/17 1st
17/18 9th
18/19 10th atm

Everyone can see it was a great achievement by them, but its also a once in maybe 25 years win. And they have done well to still be a mid table team in a bloody hard league.
But it just goes to show what can happen if things go your way, so the moral here is never give up, when things aren't going your way
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Statto

I may moan on here a lot but I do not expect to win the league any time soon.

But nor do I accept there should be any kind of ceiling on what you can achieve long-term.

From 1997 - 2010 obviously we got promoted 3 times but we also transitioned in the PL years from consistent relegation favourites to a decent mid-table or even top half team. Unfortunately that was never consolidated, with both MAF and Khan to blame for it slipping away IMO.

Spurs are an example, whilst admittedly always a bigger club than us, of a team that used mid-table finishes through the 90s and early 2000s as a platform to become consistent title challengers today.

I think that is achievable for us if we give it the same amount of time (although it may mean we outgrow the cottage in a decade or two).

For me in the short-term it's just about making small steps such that you can always look at yourselves 2-3 years ago and say, we'd beat that team now.

Neil D

Quote from: Statto on October 15, 2018, 11:28:43 AM
For me in the short-term it's just about making small steps
As my old mate Mao Zedong used to say, 'Every journey begins with a single step'.  It just helps if it's in the direction you're travelling...

MJG

Quote from: alfie on October 15, 2018, 10:59:35 AM

Which they still are
14/15 14th
15/16 12th
16/17 1st
17/18 9th
18/19 10th atm

But it just goes to show what can happen if things go your way, so the moral here is never give up, when things aren't going your way
Of course and anything can happen and I hope it does, its just unlikely

RaySmith

Before the advent of the Prem in 1992, the championship was  more evenly shared out, and most clubs could think they had at a least a chance of winning it, with Leeds, Derby, Forest, Everton, and Villa winning it fairly recent times, and if you go back to around 1960 - Spurs, Ipswich , Burnley and Wolves.

But the Prem , with the Sky money and worldwide promotion it attracted, brought in the massive money from abroad, which has mainly been for a select few clubs - who are have become exclusive, a league within a league..

nose returns

for what it is worth this is my opinion.
slava has to be given a  lot longer to gt the team right. i see more positives than negatives but the prem is unforgiving and the next half dozen or so games will be interesting and then we can see where we are....

ranieri. i am less than a fan and think he is not all that. however at leicester, he was the right man at the right time in the right place, it sometimes happens like that and good luck to him for the title. but seriously he was lucky and his expertise would more likely see us get worse.

i think slava is the right man and he will come good. I am disappointed with our start as we all are but hey ho that is the nature of thing. we started slow last season and we need to remember that.

MJG

Quote from: RaySmith on October 15, 2018, 12:55:27 PM
Before the advent of the Prem in 1992, the championship was  more evenly shared out, and most clubs could think they had at a least a chance of winning it, with Leeds, Derby, Forest, Everton, and Villa winning it fairly recent times, and if you go back to around 1960 - Spurs, Ipswich , Burnley and Wolves.

But the Prem , with the Sky money and worldwide promotion it attracted, brought in the massive money from abroad, which has mainly been for a select few clubs - who are have become exclusive, a league within a league..
I've broken down the winners into ten year chunks, so listed below is the number of teams that have won the league
2009-2018: 4 teams
1999-2008: 3 teams
1989-1998: 5 teams
1979-1988: 3 teams
1969-1978: 6 teams
1959-1968: 8 teams
1949-1958: 6 teams

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: alfie on October 15, 2018, 10:59:35 AM

Which they still are
14/15 14th
15/16 12th
16/17 1st
17/18 9th
18/19 10th atm

Precisely
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Chesh

Everyone has their own opinion of viewing progress, and mine is this.

Yes, it would be nice to get plenty of points out of the next 3 games, but it is not imperative, and doesn't mean either way that we will be relegated or stay up on the back of these games.

To me, any talk of the Cardiff game for example being 'must win' is as panic ridden as when Magath was tasked with 'saving our Premier League place', when Meulensteen was just starting to work things out imho.

All this talk of pressure should be put to one side until January as far as I am concerned, as that would be a much more sensible way to measure the potential of Slav in the Premier League.

It is just my opinion, and I may be wrong, but talking about a progressive manager's future after 8 games, when we are not even in the bottom 3, let alone cast adrift, is ludicrous.

I happen to be enjoying our challenge at the moment and believe we can gradually turn it round, but it will take a lot longer than people seem to think - and short termism in the form of a desperate change of manager is not the answer for me.

FWIW I would be surprised and disappointed if Tony Khan felt any different.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Bassey the warrior

I absolutely love Slavisa, but I have to take off the rosy eyed specs and admit that we need to pick up a win over the next three games. Cardiff away will not be an easy game, they played well against Spurs. But we need to at the very least get a point and to play well.

We need to take defending seriously, as at the moment it's been amateurish. We can definitely win there if we defend as a unit.

KJS

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on October 15, 2018, 04:58:10 PM
I absolutely love Slavisa, but I have to take off the rosy eyed specs and admit that we need to pick up a win over the next three games. Cardiff away will not be an easy game, they played well against Spurs. But we need to at the very least get a point and to play well.

We need to take defending seriously, as at the moment it's been amateurish. We can definitely win there if we defend as a unit.

I feel the same but I want what is best for FFC so if it means Joka is shown the door due to his inability to turn things around then so be it after all he is showing that he wont commit himself to the club as he is still to sign a new contract

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: KJS on October 15, 2018, 05:11:56 PM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on October 15, 2018, 04:58:10 PM

I feel the same but I want what is best for FFC so if it means Joka is shown the door due to his inability to turn things around then so be it after all he is showing that he wont commit himself to the club as he is still to sign a new contract

Has he been offered one?

SG

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on October 13, 2018, 06:04:21 PM
I just love some of these comments in this post like 'Garbage. Move on' as if people know how the Khan's will manage their investment.

Jokanovic is no more safer than any other manager, and, like it or not, this is a results business over popularity.

We've invested 100M, have the worst goals against in the Prem, sit 3rd from bottom, have a coach who refuses to go back to basics, and, had shuffled his back 4 more than a magicians pack of cards.

He also wants to play a system, that is not effective in the Premiership, and leaves us subject to hammering defeats like Arsenal.

I'm sorry, but logic tells me, that if we don't come away with a min of 6 points in the next 3 games, Slav, like it or not, will be in hot water.

At this point, nether he (Slav) or the Club signed a new contract, saying they'd discuss at Christmas, because he knows, that if results don't change by then, he'll be gone.

Nothing against Slav, really want him to turn this around, but, there's a simple solution.

Start winning games..

Couldn't put it any better. The Board have to be considering alternatives in case there is no improvement in results