watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Loanees and our defence

Started by Mickeyboro, October 14, 2018, 04:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickeyboro

First of all, let me state I am not in favour of the loan system, especially as exploited by our near neighbours in blue.

However it seems to me that our intention was to play Rico, Chambers and TFM in our regular back 5. Otherwise, why sign them on big wages and (one assumes) substantial loan fees?

Rico is surely too good a keeper to remain in reserve, and is IMO worth a try after recent goal shippings. I imagine Chambers and Mawson were expected to rekindle their England U23 partnership, with Ream and Odoi as back up. Chambers is a class player, and I feel would come good given a run of games. Sess or Bryan at LB, I am happy either way, but don't think Bryan has done much wrong when played.

All in all, playing a settled back 5 - whoever they may be - is surely the key to survival. We can't keep changing things and expect any understanding to result.I also concede injury has muddied the water.

Of course, even is this 'first-choice back 5' with three loanees kept us up, there's no guarantee we would be filling Kalas-like gaps at the end of the season.  Trouble is, we are given the mushroom treatment...kept in the dark and fed manure.

First post, so be gentle with me!

Friendsoffulham

Welcome to the Forum Mickeyboro.

tommy

Welcome mate.

Firstly, although Rico didn't have a huge chance to prove himself, in the games he did play in he looked pretty terrible in my opinion. I know we have conceded lots of goals recently but I think Betts has done enough to deserve a start in this 5 game winnable run we have now.

With regards to the defence, I was of this same opinion as you, pretty much exactly. But Mawson and Chambers have been poor and haven't looked ol bad in the way that they just need a run, they just didn't look capable. Time will tell and I really hope they come good.

Woolly Mammoth

I have no problem with Betts, he deserves his place. Of course injuries and lack of match sharpness to some players have not helped. But that's the challenge any club can face, we are not unique, it's how we prepare or not for these eventualitys is the key.
What I have seen of Joe Bryan I like, so he I feel should be our left back.
Especially as it's a no brainier to play Sess further upfield.
I also agree that both Alfie Mawson and Callum Chambers will come good.
Also as has already been mentioned in another thread, our next three League matches against Cardiff City, Bournemouth & Boscombe, and Huddersfield Town will go a long way in showing if we are batting on a sticky wicket.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

cmg

I'm not too keen on loans for a club in our position either. However, at present, the position isn't too bad.

I'm pretty sure MLF isn't a loan. It was always announced as 'a transfer', although I can't find any contract details. My take on him was that he was a bit of a punt, maybe even a makeweight in the Seri deal, but, despite some flaws, has worked out pretty well.

Schurrle's two years is almost the equivalent of a permenant contract for a player of his age.
We have an option to buy Vietto.
Unless he wildly exceeds expectations, I would think we would have no difficulty in retaining Chambers, if we wanted him. Although it hasn't started well I assume that he and Mawson will become our regular answer at CB. 
The opposite appplies to Fosu-Mensah; I would think we had no chance of retaining him, unless he turns out to be a complete bust - in which case we wouldn't want him. So he is a case of us just looking after him for someone else (which, to my mind, is something we shouldn't be doing).
Rico? I just don't know. It's nice to have depth in a vital position but I can't see how he fits into long term plans.

filham

Welcome to the board Mickeyboro, brave of you to try to make something of this defence of ours which has conceded 21 goals in 8 games.

Problem is all defensive players have been tried in a few different permutations and all now have a record of failure.

Whatever reputation Mawson, and Chapman brought with them lies shattered on the Cottage turf, they have both had stinkers.

Difficult to see how Jokanovic can now field a back four that is going to have confidence.

Statto

I think I agree.

I haven't been impressed with any of our new GKs or defenders but most are good on paper, and as new signings who are only just learning to play together, they've the potential to improve.

The little CB triangle of Betts, Ream and Odoi might seem a marginally safer option at the moment but none of those 3 are going to improve and we can already see they're going to get humiliated by a lot of PL strikers.

I'd rather just suck up the pain for a few weeks and keep picking whichever players are best on paper, ie Mawson, Chambers and probably Rico, until they get used to this league and each other.

Not sure that include TFM, however. My choice back 5 would be Rico, Chambers, Mawson, MLM and Sessegnon

HV71

Welcome . Very good first post. I personally have no problems with Betts but the rest of your post I agree with. Establishing a settled defence has, due to injuries etc proved difficult. Mawson is a good player and should come good with Chambersbut it is going to take time. Some on here are already writing them off - but it is too early to be so opinionated about two quality players.

JoelH5

I think the issue has been that players who have played especially poorly (Chambers the worst imo) have still only really started 3/4 games and so it's harsh to judge them on that. Nearly all players would need time to gel and it's a great shame they didn't have a proper preseason together where they could have all played multiple times. They've been thrown in at the deep end with no time to gel.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

kiwian

Quote from: filham on October 14, 2018, 06:22:31 PM
Welcome to the board Mickeyboro, brave of you to try to make something of this defence of ours which has conceded 21 goals in 8 games.

Problem is all defensive players have been tried in a few different permutations and all now have a record of failure.

Whatever reputation Mawson, and Chapman brought with them lies shattered on the Cottage turf, they have both had stinkers.

Difficult to see how Jokanovic can now field a back four that is going to have confidence.

Chapman?
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Skatzoffc

Welcome OP.

Until Joka gets the team /new players to defend from the front I believe we will look poor at the back. That is our problem but the defense gets the blame.

On the players, these are my opinions:

Betts is deffo for me due to his knowledge of the English game.

Mawson I believe is not quite match fit,  But I have faith in him coming good.

MLM is good cover for Ream at LCB, but  not keen on him as a LB.

Brown is fine at LB for me. I can't understand why he was dropped so the sooner he gets fit again the better.

Fosu Mensa looked to be getting better on every game to me. So hope he gets fit as well.

Chambers had made bad errors in every game I've seen. Others have as well I know, but the jury is out for me on him at the mo.

Odoi is a boon as he can cover all across the defence.

Again, if they had better cover in front of them they would all be looking more solid tbh.

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

filham