more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (16/10/18)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 16, 2018, 07:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Almamy Toure would round out Fulham's squad very well in January

Fulham fans will be deeply concerned following the Cottagers' dismal start to their first season back in the Premier League.

Fulham have won just one of their opening eight league matches and were thrashed 5-1 by Arsenal last weekend heading into the international break. Slavisa Jokanovic's side currently sits 17th in the Premier League table, just two points ahead of Huddersfield Town who are in the relegation zone. The Cottagers face a crucial fixture against bottom of the table Cardiff following the international period.

Fulham invested heavily in their playing squad during the summer, but their extravagant spending is yet to transition into results on the pitch. With Manchester United loanee, Timothy Fosu-Mensah injured for the foreseeable future; Fulham may be tempted into the market to sign a right back in January.

One man that should be on their shortlist is Monaco defender – Almamy Toure. Valued at £7.2m by Transfermarkt, the 22-year-old made 23 appearances last season but has been restricted to just two games in Ligue 1 this campaign following the arrival of Benjamin Henrichs from Bayer Leverkusen in the summer. With Leonardo Jardim losing his job and his contract expiring in less than a year, Toure could be set for a January exit which should put Fulham on red alert.

The Malian is an exciting, attacking full-back who would be an excellent long-term replacement for Fosu-Mensah in the back four. Not only does Toure excel going forward, but he is also defensively sound. The 22-year-old averaged 2.6 tackles, 1.1 interceptions and 2.6 clearances per game in Ligue 1 last season, highlighting the protection he would offer Jokanovic's side (WhoScored).

Potentially available at a cut-price, Fulham could grab a bargain in the New Year.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/fulham/almamy-toure-would-round-out-fulhams-squad-very-well-in-january/

WhiteJC

'That's what they're paid to do, to be negative' - Cyrus Christie hits back at Alan Shearer over Match Of The Day criticism

Cyrus Christie of Republic of Ireland in action against Yussuf Poulsen of Denmark during the UEFA Nations League B group four match between Republic of Ireland and Denmark at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin. Photo by Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile

Cyrus Christie insists that he will not let negative comments get into his head and damage his game.

The Fulham player won the man of the match in Ireland's 0-0 draw at home to Denmark on Saturday night, a big change from his last appearance on the field of play.

Christie was on the wrong side of a 5-1 scoreline when his club played Arsenal and pundit Alan Shearer singled the Ireland international out for some harsh criticism on Match Of The Day.

Christie, who has previously spoken about receiving racist abuse online, says he is now content to switch off and try to focus on his own performance instead of what others think. "I didn't even see it, to be honest. Someone told me about it and I turned my notifications off on Twitter because I always seem to get abuse whether I play well or whether I played badly," Christie says of the Shearer criticism.

"I'll always have belief in myself, I'll always back myself and my ability.

"I go home every day and I go and do my extra training away from the training pitch, to try and make myself the best that I can be.

"Sometimes the rewards aren't there straight away but in the long run it will pay off.

"Shearer's got his opinion, at the end of the day he has to sit in the studio, he has to be positive and he has to be negative and I was the one to be chosen to be negative.

"The (Fulham) manager asked me to do a job and I stuck to that. I had to play high up the pitch,  the centre-halves had to go out and it was one of them – I was the one who got picked on but that's what he (Shearer) is paid to do.

"There are quite a lot of pundits nowadays and that's what they're paid to do, to be negative. He's a legend in the game, he's been there and done it, obviously not as a defender but as a striker and you just have to respect the opinion of people like that," he added.

"I think on Saturday I wanted to go out there and put on a performance and do really well, and to pick up man of the match, it definitely is a confidence boost after the weekend.

"Some people think my attitude isn't great because I've got a laid-back manner and it probably doesn't look like I'm trying, but I'm running around everywhere and doing what I'm good at.

"I always seem to come in for a bit of stick but I just take the good with the bad, working hard. The manager has full confidence in me and all that matters is the opinion of the manager and the people who employ me."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/thats-what-theyre-paid-to-do-to-be-negative-cyrus-christie-hits-back-at-alan-shearer-over-match-of-the-day-criticism-37419865.html

WhiteJC

Can Cyrus Christie bring international form back to Fulham?

(Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Fulham's Cyrus Christie was named man of the match on Saturday night as Ireland and Denmark played out a goalless draw in Dublin.

Christie was utilised in a surprising central midfield position and, despite the new role, Christie drew plaudits and performed reasonably well for Martin O'Neill's men. He troubled Kasper Schmeichel with a decent strike, added some dangerous deliveries, and injected pace into an otherwise pedestrian affair.

The Irish FA awarded him the man of the match accolade as a result, but the news would have come to a shock to Fulham supporters. Many singled out the Irishman as particularly culpable for last week's 5-1 drubbing at the hands of Arsenal, as Christie was caught out constantly on his right side and failed to adapt to his wing-back role.

Perhaps O'Neill has discovered a new role for Christie that Slavisa Jokanovic might try at club level, but the thought of the Serbian playing Christie in a central midfield position seems outlandish.

Nevertheless, Christie clearly revealed his qualities while on international duty, and it is up to Jokanovic to attempt to coax the best out of the 26-year-old.

Although Fulham fans may be fed up with Christie's poor performances in recent weeks, the Whites will be forced to play him due to Timothy Fosu-Mensah's shoulder injury. Hopefully Christie can bring his Irish form back to the Premier League.

https://tbrfootball.com/can-cyrus-christie-bring-international-form-back-to-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham star Sessegnon shortlisted for BBC award

Ryan Sessegnon tops the shortlist for the BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year award.

Fulham's England Under-21 star won the Championship player of the season and young player of the season awards for helping the Whites win promotion to the Premier League last term.

Table tennis' 12-year-old prodigy Anna Hursey – the youngest-ever Commonwealth Games competitor – also makes the 10-strong list, along with para-athlete Kare Adenegan, swimmer Freya Anderson and jockey James Bowen.

The winner will be announced at the BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards on Sunday, October 21.

Tennis star Jack Draper – runner-up at Wimbledon's 2018 boys' singles – has also been shortlisted, along with gymnastics' Georgia-Mae Fenton, rugby league's Georgia Roche, athlete Max Burgin and para-swimming's Maisie Summers-Newton.

Para-athlete Adenegan claimed her first senior gold medal as T34 100 metres European champion this year, aged just 17. She then set a new T34 100m world record at the London Anniversary Games.

Swimmer Anderson won bronze for England in the 4x100m freestyle relay and the 4x200m freestyle relay at the 2018 Commonwealth Games. She also finished fourth in the 100m freestyle at the European Championships, setting a new junior European record.

Bowen became the youngest rider to win the Welsh Grand National, on Raz De Maree at Chepstow in January, and went on to claim victory in the Lanzarote Hurdle in his maiden season.

Athlete Burgin set a world-best time in his age group for the 800m, and claimed the European Under-18s 800m title.

Fenton represented England at the Commonwealth Games, claiming gold in the uneven bars.

Roche was awarded rugby league's first Woman of Steel award as she starred for Castleford in reaching the Challenge Cup final, and helped the club to a fourth-place Super League finish.

Para-swimmer Summers-Newton claimed three golds and a bronze on her senior international debut at the European Championships in Dublin.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-star-sessegnon-shortlisted-for-bbc-award

WhiteJC

Fulham starlet Ryan Sessegnon heads 10-strong shortlist for BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year award

Ryan Sessegnon leads the BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year nominees
    He won a host of accolades en route to Premier League promotion last season
    Table tennis' 12-year-old prodigy Anna Hursey also makes the 10-strong list
    Jack Draper, runner-up at Wimbledon's 2018 in the boys' singles, is also included

Ryan Sessegnon tops the shortlist for the BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year award.

Fulham's versatile England Under-21 star won the Championship player of the season and young player of the season awards for helping the Craven Cottage men win promotion to the Premier League last term.

Table tennis' 12-year-old prodigy Anna Hursey - the youngest-ever Commonwealth Games competitor - also makes the 10-strong list, along with para-athlete Kare Adenegan, swimmer Freya Anderson and jockey James Bowen.

Ryan Sessegnon tops the shortlist for the BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year award

The winner will be announced at the BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards on Sunday, October 21.

Tennis star Jack Draper - runner-up at Wimbledon's 2018 boys' singles - has also been shortlisted, along with gymnastics' Georgia-Mae Fenton, rugby league's Georgia Roche, athlete Max Burgin and para-swimming's Maisie Summers-Newton.

Para-athlete Adenegan claimed her first senior gold medal as T34 100 metres European champion this year, aged just 17. She then set a new T34 100m world record at the London Anniversary Games.

Swimmer Anderson won bronze for England in the 4x100m freestyle relay and the 4x200m freestyle relay at the 2018 Commonwealth Games. She also finished fourth in the 100m freestyle at the European Championships, setting a new junior European record.

Bowen became the youngest rider to win the Welsh Grand National, on Raz De Maree at Chepstow in January, and went on to claim victory in the Lanzarote Hurdle in his maiden season.

He won a host of accolades en route to Premier League promotion with Fulham last season

Table tennis' 12-year-old prodigy Anna Hursey also makes the 10-strong list of nominees

Jack Draper, runner-up at Wimbledon's 2018 in the boys' singles, has also been shortlisted

Athlete Burgin set a world-best time in his age group for the 800m, and claimed the European Under-18s 800m title.

Fenton represented England at the Commonwealth Games, claiming gold in the uneven bars.

Roche was awarded rugby league's first Woman of Steel award as she starred for Castleford in reaching the Challenge Cup final, and helped the club to a fourth-place Super League finish.

Para-swimmer Summers-Newton claimed three golds and a bronze on her senior international debut at the European Championships in Dublin.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-6277001/Fulham-starlet-Ryan-Sessegnon-heads-Young-Sports-Personality-Year-award-shortlist.html

WhiteJC

Guinea coach Paul Put accepts apology form his own player Ibrahima Cisse

Belgian coach Paul Put is on the verge of leading Guinea to the Africa Cup of Nations finals in Cameroon

Guinea coach Paul Put has accepted an apology from his own midfielder Ibrahima Cisse for an angry celebration after scoring against Rwanda on Friday.

The Fulham player scored two minutes after coming on as a second-half substitute in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier to complete the 2-0 win.

The 24-year-old's celebration seemed to centre on his anger at Put for not starting him in the match in Conakry.

I want to apologize to the public, the coach and my teammates who may have been hurt by my celebration," Cisse said on social media.

"It was more of a rage associated with the joy of having scored my first goal for my country.

"I let myself get carried away by my emotions and I apologize. Long live the Syli."

Put and Cisse's team-mates have forgiven him and he has travelled to play hosts Rwanda in another Nations Cup qualifier on Tuesday.

Napoli's Amadou Diawara, who was making his debut, began the Group H game instead of Cisse.

Cisse was cleared by Fifa last month to play for Guinea and he made his international debut against Central African Republic (CAR).

Guinea can qualify for the Nations Cup finals if they win in Kigali and CAR fail to win against visiting Ivory Coast, both matches are set to be played on Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45861579

WhiteJC

prodigy Fulham teenager Ryan Sessegnon shortlisted for BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year award

The England under-21 starlet won the Championship player of the season award last term as he helped the Whites earn promotion to the Premier League

Ryan Sessegnon heads a 10-person shortlist for the BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year award.

The Fulham winger, 18, starred in the Championship last season as the Whites earned promotion to the Premier League.

He scored 15 goals on his way to winning the league's player and young player of the season awards.

Sessegnon joins 12-year-old table tennis starlet Anna Hursey, the youngest-ever Commonwealth Games competitor, among the nominees.

Para-athlete Kare Adenegan, swimmer Freya Anderson and jockey James Bowen were also shortlisted, with the winner announced at the BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards on Sunday October 21.

Tennis star Jack Draper – runner-up at Wimbledon's 2018 boys' singles – has also been nominated, along with gymnastics' Georgia-Mae Fenton, rugby league's Georgia Roche, athlete Max Burgin and para-swimming's Maisie Summers-Newton.

https://talksport.com/football/efl/433468/fulham-ryan-sessegnon-bbc-young-sports-personality-of-the-year-award/

WhiteJC

Bournemouth Tickets Limited

Tickets for Fulham's next home game at Craven Cottage against AFC Bournemouth on Saturday 27th October (3pm) are now LIMITED.

Don't delay in securing your seat with up to four tickets per person available to to all supporters on General Sale.

Prices start from £30 adults and £20 juniors and supporters can buy online, by phone on 0203 871 0810 (Opt 1) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/october/15/bournemouth-tickets

WhiteJC

Sessegnon's Nomination

Ryan Sessegnon is one of ten athletes nominated for the BBC's Young Sports Personality of the Year.

Ryan is the only footballer to be named on the shortlist for the prize, which will be announced at the Radio 1 Teen Awards on Sunday 21st October.

The prize was won by Manchester City midfielder Phil Foden last year and has been won by names such as Andy Murray, Ellie Simmonds & Tom Daley in the past.

Speaking to fulhamfc.com following the announcement Ryan expressed his pride at being nominated for the award.

"I think it's a great achievement for myself," he said. "Its been a good year for me and I just want to continue to grow as a footballer and inspire the next generation.

"For me, being so young it's always good to be up for awards like this, especially when I am up against such strong candidates in their fields.

"All the other nominees have excelled in their fields so for me it's such a great achievement to be named alongside them."

For the full list of nominees and more information head here.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2018/october/15/sessegnon-nomination

WhiteJC

Transfer Battle: Jean Michael Seri vs André Zambo Anguissa

After the jubilation of being promoted, it's been a tough return to the Premier League for Fulham this year.

The west London side heavily invested in the squad over the summer but have struggled to keep clean sheets and at the back they look very vulnerable. Going forward, however, they look a good side and the new arrival Jean Michael Seri looks like he could be a superb piece of business.

Partnering Seri in midfield, has been fellow summer arrival Andre Zambo Anguissa. So with both making the move from Ligue 1 to the Premier League over the summer, let's compare the two.

Jean Michael Seri
Linked with a move to Barcelona last year, Seri's arrival in London was met with surprise at how a club like Fulham could capture a player of the talent of the 27-year-old. The Ivory Coast international had become one of the better players during his time with Nice and so far, he's made a solid start to his career at Craven Cottage.

This season he's had the most passes and most touches while also having to contribute heavily in defence. While not outstanding, he's made a solid start to his career with Fulham and seems to have made an easy transition into Jokanovic's side.

His all-around game is very rounded and as such, he's going to give Fulham the ability to play in multiple formations. At the back Fulham might look a bit shaky but going forward with Seri orchestrating things, they look very strong for a promoted side.

TT Grade: A-

André Zambo Anguissa

Arriving for £30 million in the summer, much like Seri, Anguissa looks like he can do a bit of everything in midfield. Technically, he's very capable of taking the ball in tight areas and has got the ability to link up with the play going forward although he can be a bit clumsy in the final third.

Due to his physical presence, he's very capable of sitting at the base of midfield and has often partnered Seri there this season. Despite featuring heavily for Fulham this season, Anguissa has failed to really live up to the hype that surrounded him in pre-season and apart from his superb performance against Millwall in the EFL Cup, he hasn't quite hit his stride yet.

He's got plenty of potential and is still raw, so needs to be given time before we can make a fair judgement.

TT Grade: B-

The Verdict

Due to the difference in age and experience, it's quite an easy battle to evaluate. Anguissa is still very raw and at 22, he's still learning the game. He has the talent and physical attributes to play in the league but he needs time to settle in.

Seri on the other hand, looks like a quality player already. The 27-year-old has made an instant impact on the club and it would be no surprise to see him linked with some of the Premier League heavyweights next summer.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/features/transfer-battles/transfer-battle-jean-michael-seri-vs-andre-zambo-anguissa/

WhiteJC

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy raises objections to Fulham owner Shahid Khan's plans to buy Wembley

The Tottenham supremo is not a fan of the plans regarding the national stadium

Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy has voiced his concerns about the potential sale of Wembley Stadium to Fulham owner Shahid Khan.

Spurs have been tenants at the national stadium over the last three seasons during the construction of their new 62,062-seater stadium in north London, which will also host NFL football as part of a ten year deal.

The £500m-plus potential sale of Wembley would certainly indicate that Khan - who also owns NFL side the Jacksonsville Jaguars - has plans to make Wembley the UK home of NFL football and potentially a future London franchise.

Spurs had hoped their new stadium would be the home of any NFL franchise and plenty of work has been going into that plan.

At a meeting with the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust on Tuesday evening at Lilywhite House, the club's offices alongside the new stadium, Levy and his team were quizzed on various aspects surrounding Spurs, including that potential Wembley purchase and what it meant for the club's own NFL hopes.

In the minutes of that meeting, which have now been released on the Trust's website, Levy's answers are detailed.

"Daniel Levy said it wouldn't but he was against the sale of Wembley regardless," read the minutes. "He felt any London franchise was a long way off but the NFL still had the International Series so there was ample opportunity for Spurs.

"Daniel Levy wanted to point out that the second pitch wasn't solely an NFL pitch. It was a multi-purpose pitch that was suitable for NFL."

The Tottenham chairman also confirmed his belief that the new Spurs stadium would have been ready for the Liverpool match were it not for the safety issues.

"Daniel Levy confirmed that announcing the Liverpool game as the first game in the stadium was not over ambitious and the stadium would have been ready if not for the safety issues. Much of the external work has been brought forward from next summer," read the minutes.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/daniel-levy-khan-wembley-sale-15284441

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon beefing up in attempt to make Premier League impact

Ryan Sessegnon admits the Premier League has been harder than he thought
    The Fulham winger has put on a stone in muscle to cope with the demands
    He will feature for England Under 21s in final Euro 2019 qualifier with Scotland

Ryan Sessegnon has revealed he has put on a stone in muscle to cope with the physical demands of the Premier League that have taken him by surprise.

The Fulham midfielder is one of the brightest talents in the English game and on Monday was nominated for the BBC's Young Sports Personality of the Year after playing a starring role in his club's successful promotion bid.

He has, however, found the adjustment to life in the top flight difficult and to ensure that he is not found wanting any longer, Sessegnon - who will feature for England's Under 21s in their final Euro 2019 qualifier against Scotland in Edinburgh - has put himself through an intense physical regime.

Ryan Sessegnon has put on a stone in muscle to cope with the demands of the Premier League

The Fulham winger admits adjusting to the Premier League has been harder than he thought

'It's been a bit harder than I thought it would be actually in some parts in terms of the quality of opposition and the players,' said Sessegnon.

'There are World class players week in, week out but it's a new challenge that I'm learning all the team. I've got in the gym a few times this season to get bigger and stronger to face better and bigger players.'

He added: 'Physically in terms of endurance I think I could deal with it. But there is a physicality where I had to become a bit bigger to face bigger players.

'I feel bigger, I feel faster and I feel stronger and I think you can see that in some of the games where my speed has got me out of a bit of trouble.'

With England having secured their place at Euro 2019 already, head coach Aidy Boothroyd intends to use this match as the first part of preparation for next summer's tournament in Italy.

Sessegnon will feature for England's U21s in their final Euro 2019 qualifier against Scotland

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6278943/Ryan-Sessegnon-beefing-make-Premier-League-impact-Fulham.html

WhiteJC

Ryan Sessegnon bulks up to help boost Fulham in Premier League

Ryan Sessegnon has revealed he has put on a stone in weight and hit the gym in a bid to make himself more competitive in the Premier League.

Sessegnon played a key role in helping Fulham secure promotion to the Premier League, scoring 16 goals last season as they came up via the play-offs.

The 18-year-old has made a steady if unspectacular transition to life in the top division but has started six of Fulham's opening eight games.

Sessegnon is currently preparing for England U21s' final Euro 2019 qualifier in Scotland on Tuesday but feels his fitness regime will help him hold his own in the Premier League.

"I've got in the gym a few times this season to get bigger and stronger to face better and bigger players," he said.

"There is a physicality where I had to become a bit bigger to face bigger players.

"I feel bigger, I feel faster and I feel stronger and I think you can see that in some of the games where my speed has got me out of a bit of trouble.

"I did it knowing I'd be playing in the Premier League. I knew it's very physical in parts and in the position I play in I need to be strong.

"It was my idea to get in the gym. Fulham have pushed me as well to be in there two or three times a week, not just weights but flexibility as well to help my all-round body.

"We do yoga once every two weeks. A woman comes in and we have a little class and it helps as well."

Sessegnon has been tipped as a future senior star for England, although he has seen Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho elevated to Gareth Southgate's squad ahead of him.

He admits talk of a senior call-up keeps him motivated, with Sessegnon having helped the England U21s book their Euro 2019 spot with a 7-0 win over Andorra on Thursday.

"It keeps you focused, it makes you happy knowing they are thinking of you but it drives you to be better and improve your game so you can get into the senior squad," he added.

"You saw in the World Cup they had a specific way of playing. It was controlled possession, a lot of attacking entries in the final third and you can see that with all the age groups.

"Gareth has a way of playing and you can see that in all the age groups. It's exciting to be an English player at the moment.

"With the U21s we've not got another major tournament with the national team and it's another opportunity to win another tournament."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11526898/ryan-sessegnon-bulks-up-to-help-boost-fulham-in-premier-league