watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scottish teams in the English League.

Started by Russianrob, October 16, 2018, 03:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russianrob

Why do they not allow Scottish teams in the English league.OK,the Jocks are going through a sticky patch at present but they would still add to it.This seems so unfair especially as untalented Welsh teams are allowed into it.Further,Berwick Rangers are English yet play in the Scottish league.Why cannot we return the compliment?

ron

The obvious two are Celtic and Rangers....but it's probably the gate money from their fixtures that keep the other clubs afloat in Scotland. With lesser teams there is the problem of replacement if they get relegated from the league...feeder leagues in Scotland being much weaker, and English hopefuls being denied promotion if it became a case of replacing one with the same nationality.

...besides, when they become an independent nation in The EU, they'll want to merge with Serie A...... :022:

gang

This was discussed many years ago about Rangers & Celtic but they would have been required to start from the old division 4 which they both thought was beneath them.

Holders

So the idea is to let a couple of the better Scottish sides into the English league (which division?) and to leave the rest to fester. Seems an odd proposal fraught with practical difficulties, I really can't see the point. Berwick play in the Scottish league for reasons of geography. What is odd is Welsh clubs playing in our league. Just three left now, I believe, now that Wrexham have dropped out.

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Woolly Mammoth

I have a better idea, let them join the Outer Mongolian Sunday Morning League Division 9.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Lighthouse

The truth is they are different FAs and as such have little to do with each other. They are just different associations with too many people with their hands in the respective cookie jars.  While it has been discussed in the past for the big Glasgow clubs the actuality is it will never happen. Travel costs for fans and the fact that only Celtic would be good enough for the bottom half of the Prem.

If we ever had a British Football association then it will become a possibility but as most Countries, especially the greedy politicians want independence. I cannot see it ever happening.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: gang on October 16, 2018, 05:09:55 PM
This was discussed many years ago about Rangers & Celtic but they would have been required to start from the old division 4 which they both thought was beneath them.

Plus two English Clubs would have to drop out to accommodate them.
It would never be allowed to happen, no English club would vote for them, and why would they want to, and why should foreign teams be allowed in our League, they have their own League up north over the border to rot in.
I don't understand why Welsh teams should be allowed to play in the English League either.
There be may some historical significance as to why welsh teams do, but no way allow teams from north of the border in our League. It will never be allowed to happen, certainly not in the next 500 years.
There will never ever be a British FA, the English FA would never allow it thank goodness, it's an English League and should stay that way.
Of course they could always join the League of Iceland. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

IKnowNothing

Quote from: gang on October 16, 2018, 05:09:55 PM
Beneath them because Celtic would lose a huge amount of money (Champions/Europa league) and the ability to recruit players of the caliber to keep rising. For 4 years if your lucky.

cmg

Sutton United played Irish side Bohemians in the Scottish Challenge Cup yesterday (lost on penalties).

True....but I have no idea of how or why.

SP

Not for me, I remember the friendlies we used to play against Celtic & Rangers.

HV71

No way ! I will never forgive All'ys Army and the words of their World Cup song ........."England canny do it cos they didni qualify ' ! Love the people love the country but not when it comes to football .

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: cmg on October 16, 2018, 05:44:56 PM
Sutton United played Irish side Bohemians in the Scottish Challenge Cup yesterday (lost on penalties).

True....but I have no idea of how or why.

In NI it's the top 2, in Ireland it's the top 2 not playing in Europe, In Wales it's the top 2 and non league it's the top 2 not promoted assuming they want to as it's an invitational tournament. It's a tournament like the checkatrade trophy i.e. Lower league teams, so they've gone for other nations to increase the pull of it and market it a bit better. Premier under 21 teams have played in it too so it alll seems a bit of a mess, but it's a decent challenge for the Irish teams at least to see how they fare.

Don't see the point of any Scottish teams playing in England or other teams playing in different leagues for anything over than geography (Berwick) and social/political unrest  (Derry)

Russianrob

Must admit having started this post that I am personally bigoted-I really admire the Scots but dislike the whippersnapper Welsh!!

cmg

Quote from: Newry FFC on October 16, 2018, 06:53:25 PM

In NI it's the top 2, in Ireland it's the top 2 not playing in Europe, In Wales it's the top 2 and non league it's the top 2 not promoted assuming they want to as it's an invitational tournament....

Thanks.
Interesting that the Scots themselves seem to rate their set-up at least three tiers below the English one.

Dodgin

The idea of the two clubs leaving the Scottish top league is totally unfair on the remaining sides but football across the border does seem to need some sort of injection. If it was possible an amalgamation of the FA and Scottish cup competitions in some form could be interesting, as it does appear that enthusiasm for the FA tournament needs a boost. Fulham playing my favoured Scottish team St. Johnstone, like it.

elgreenio

Celtic and Rangers aren't even the 2 best teams in the league  :dft011:.

Screaming out for a switch to being a summer league in my opinion
touch my camera through the fence

Marinelloguthrie

Personally would not have any scottish team in our leagues. Does anyone know when the welsh teams were allowed in the english leagues?

During the times of Ferguson's Aberdeen and a few other good non old firm teams it was a very interesting and competitive league but was blown away by the money in English football and the rangers fiasco.

Also think the amount of non British players in our leagues have affected them badly national team wise as the case with the welsh and the Irish teams. Top teams in the old Div 1 were full of top class players from the other home nations as much as England. Daglish, Souness, Brady, Stapleton, Law and so on and on.

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: cmg on October 16, 2018, 07:13:05 PM
Quote from: Newry FFC on October 16, 2018, 06:53:25 PM

In NI it's the top 2, in Ireland it's the top 2 not playing in Europe, In Wales it's the top 2 and non league it's the top 2 not promoted assuming they want to as it's an invitational tournament....

Thanks.
Interesting that the Scots themselves seem to rate their set-up at least three tiers below the English one.

Having any sort of comparison between the 2 is pointless given the money ploughed into the English game. Extract Celtic, Rangers and the Scottish league doesn't look out of place compared to Dundalk and Cork City.  Drumming up support for the lower teams whilst extending the reach of the competition outside Scotland is a good step whilst being able to showcase young talent with the u21 teams in it. I know from being in Ireland and NI that its a bit of an adventure going over to play in the competition, a different element to refresh a stale format perhaps.
Would agree on the above, summer football for that league would improve it, attendances over the summer would increase with families/ schoolkids etc going more in warmer weather, like the LoI has seen and reaped the benefits lately with Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk both in Europa group stages.

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on October 16, 2018, 08:21:56 PM
Personally would not have any scottish team in our leagues. Does anyone know when the welsh teams were allowed in the english leagues?

During the times of Ferguson's Aberdeen and a few other good non old firm teams it was a very interesting and competitive league but was blown away by the money in English football and the rangers fiasco.

Also think the amount of non British players in our leagues have affected them badly national team wise as the case with the welsh and the Irish teams. Top teams in the old Div 1 were full of top class players from the other home nations as much as England. Daglish, Souness, Brady, Stapleton, Law and so on and on.

Its affected the players, but the attitude of just accepting a lower division is their own fault. All apart from Dalglish on your list ventured out of Britain and didn't harm them one bit.

Sgt Fulham

I've got a better idea: let's just boot out the Welsh teams, starting with Cardiff.