more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scottish teams in the English League.

Started by Russianrob, October 16, 2018, 03:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on October 16, 2018, 08:49:47 PM
I've got a better idea: let's just boot out the Welsh teams, starting with Cardiff.
On Saturday we have a good opportunity to contribute towards booting them out of the English Premier League for starters.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

YankeeJim

When were either Wales or Scotland an independent country? Which also begs the question, how good would a British Isles team be rather then diluting the talent base into 4 national teams?

No offense, just asking.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Andy S

The scotts don't even want to be a part of the uk so why would any of their football teams want to join us and why would anyone want them to?

Woolly Mammoth

No way over my dead body, would I want or any full blooded proud Englishman would want to amalgamate with them, its unthinkable and a crime.
Anyway no talent is being diluted, we have enough English talent.
This is not a United Kingdom, never has been, never will be, and I would not want it be.

Never forget your Roots.

Logicalman

Quote from: Russianrob on October 16, 2018, 03:24:45 PM
Why do they not allow Scottish teams in the English league.OK,the Jocks are going through a sticky patch at present but they would still add to it.This seems so unfair especially as untalented Welsh teams are allowed into it.Further,Berwick Rangers are English yet play in the Scottish league.Why cannot we return the compliment?

Totally agree with you, throw the Welsh teams back into their own country, we'll have Berwick back (so they can go under in a couple of years of zero gate receipts) and especially as we rid ourselves of Colin at the same time  :005:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Russianrob

After all this British controversy beginning to think it might be easier to seek Russian Citizenship even if their team is not as good as England,though slightly better than Scotland"s.

toshes mate

The Welsh teams (Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, and Wrexham) were all original members of the Southern League before joining the Football League.  Historically it appears no Scottish teams joined English professional associations in the years leading up to the formation of the Football League.  It would not be impossible for a Scottish team to play through the English pyramid and gain access to the Football League via that route.  Celtic, Rangers, Hearts etc., could put a team through such a route without giving up their Scottish PL positions.

Holders

Quote from: YankeeJim on October 16, 2018, 11:12:25 PM
When were either Wales or Scotland an independent country? Which also begs the question, how good would a British Isles team be rather then diluting the talent base into 4 national teams?

No offense, just asking.

Off the top of my head, the Scots about 300 years ago, the Welsh about 800 years ago.

There would have been a few such players over the years who'd have made it into the England team and enhanced it but to do such a thing would certainly erode passion and identification with such a hybrid team. Today I think Bale then....?

c
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: toshes mate on October 17, 2018, 09:07:39 AM
The Welsh teams (Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, and Wrexham) were all original members of the Southern League before joining the Football League.  Historically it appears no Scottish teams joined English professional associations in the years leading up to the formation of the Football League.  It would not be impossible for a Scottish team to play through the English pyramid and gain access to the Football League via that route.  Celtic, Rangers, Hearts etc., could put a team through such a route without giving up their Scottish PL positions.

That's interesting. So, with the loss of Wrexham we can potentially shed the others through natural wastage over the years as well. Starting with Cardiff.

Woolly Mammoth

What about England's Independence, and what are we waiting for let's start now. Plenty of good English Clubs battling to get into the English Football League.

Never forget your Roots.

Iaindw1

Welsh FA are 3rd oldest in the world. After England and Scotland. Its really bad the top welsh teams dont play in the welsh league.  They should be made to swap.  If there was no welsh FA. then fine

No British league i guess was due to the politics, both countries having national teams  and distance back in 1880s.

If Scottish teams did join to have British  league. Celtic would challenge for premiership no doubt. As with the SKY/BT money. They would compete and with their fan base be bigger than a lot of the English teams.

Scottish football is not that bad. Its actually better at times than English football. I watch both.
Hearts v Aberdeen is a bigger game than Burnley v Huddersfield.

Woolly Mammoth

Aldershot v Woking is a bigger game then Burnley v Huddersfield.

Never forget your Roots.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Holders on October 17, 2018, 10:19:18 AM

No offense, just asking.

Off the top of my head, the Scots about 300 years ago, the Welsh about 800 years ago.

There would have been a few such players over the years who'd have made it into the England team and enhanced it but to do such a thing would certainly erode passion and identification with such a hybrid team. Today I think Bale then....?

c

I know the Scots have some sort of national identity but do the Welsh? Or is it just general dislike of the English?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: YankeeJim on October 17, 2018, 06:29:18 PM

No offense, just asking.

c

I know the Scots have some sort of national identity but do the Welsh? Or is it just general dislike of the English?

We English have our own identity, and want to keep it.
The Scots and the welsh have their own leagues to play in and should stay there, and we English have our own League to play in, and there are many English teams who want to play in our top four Divisions if they can, and why not, so there are more than enough English teams to make another four Divisions.
We are four separate nations, no such thing as a British League and thankfully there never will be.

Never forget your Roots.

Holders

No offense, just asking.

c

Yes, and they're proud of it. They're much more into Rugby than football. As to dislike of the English - I think that junior partners in any kind of association tend to have an envy or resentment of the senior. In my view, that's why Scots and Welsh tend to flex and celebrate their identities where we tend not to flaunt ours. Curiously, "Welsh" is actually Old English for "foreigner" and when you cross the border into England the sign says, in Welsh, "Croeso i Llogyr" (Welsh for England) or "welcome to the lost lands". Even after all these years they resent us taking most of their land!

Marinelloguthrie

Looking back on the 2012 olympics whereas i had no interest in the football as we played as a British team but all other sports i cheered all GB teams no matter where the athletes or players were from.

KJS

To be honest why should we allow the Jocks into our league because after all if you listen to "Jimmy (Nicola Sturgeon) Crankie" they all  seem to want Independence for the land of the Haggis and personally the sooner they get it the better!!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: KJS on October 17, 2018, 08:54:55 PM
To be honest why should we allow the Jocks into our league because after all if you listen to "Jimmy (Nicola Sturgeon) Crankie" they all  seem to want Independence for the land of the Haggis and personally the sooner they get it the better!!

Dam right, good man. I will drink to that. 🍺

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on October 17, 2018, 08:24:08 PM

No offense, just asking.

c

Yes, and they're proud of it. They're much more into Rugby than football. As to dislike of the English - I think that junior partners in any kind of association tend to have an envy or resentment of the senior. In my view, that's why Scots and Welsh tend to flex and celebrate their identities where we tend not to flaunt ours. Curiously, "Welsh" is actually Old English for "foreigner" and when you cross the border into England the sign says, in Welsh, "Croeso i Llogyr" (Welsh for England) or "welcome to the lost lands". Even after all these years they resent us taking most of their land!

To the Victor the spoils.

Never forget your Roots.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: ron on October 16, 2018, 03:52:13 PM
The obvious two are Celtic and Rangers....but it's probably the gate money from their fixtures that keep the other clubs afloat in Scotland. With lesser teams there is the problem of replacement if they get relegated from the league...feeder leagues in Scotland being much weaker, and English hopefuls being denied promotion if it became a case of replacing one with the same nationality.

...besides, when they become an independent nation in The EU, they'll want to merge with Serie A...... :022:

Won't come to that as we ain't leaving the EU.