watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Good squad addition - for free!

Started by MikeW, October 16, 2018, 05:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeW

Piece on the BBC website today highlights some ageing but top class pro's currently out of work - one being James Collins.

This guy would be great to have around our squad with its defensive frailties.  Good old fashioned stopper who could work with the younger players.  Maybe might to get to sit on the bench as well if some guts and thunder needed.

Would be a good investment on his way to defensive coach career.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Woolly Mammoth

That is far too sensible and practical to happen.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Bassey the warrior

Would surely depend on how much money he'd want to not play. He's definitely not a starter.

Nero

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on October 16, 2018, 05:54:33 PM
Would surely depend on how much money he'd want to not play. He's definitely not a starter.

They are all starters at the moment with the rotation we got going on

aaronmcguigan

As far as I'm aware, no transfers are allowed of any kind between windows, including free transfers. I'm sure we are looking at additions, defensive steel and I doubt money is an issue, so guessing there is better out there

Jonnoj

You can sign an out of contract player whenever you want.
It's not the same as a free transfer .

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: Jonnoj on October 16, 2018, 06:40:08 PM
You can sign an out of contract player whenever you want.
It's not the same as a free transfer .

As far as I'm aware , it changed this year where no free transfers can happen outside any window, definitely to premier clubs at least.

There's official documentation in the premier league handbook but also here: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/transfer-deadline-day-can-free-13044460

@jolslover

He would genuinely be so so bad for us. Slow so would be of very little defensive help with our high line. His ball skills also leave a lot to be desired so that would cause us lots of problems aswell. I do think if we set up like Cardiff he may be a decent pick up. But we dont.
STH H3

EJL

Some of you guys say the strangest things with a straight face. James Collins is 35 years old and made just 13 appearances last season. How do you conclude that he's the answer to a personnel issue?

Twig

King_Crud

I thought there was a championship club signing him (Villa I think), but he's got a slight strain so once that's fixed he'll be signed up

Statto

Quote from: Newry FFC on October 16, 2018, 06:37:48 PM
As far as I'm aware, no transfers are allowed of any kind between windows, including free transfers.

Agreed.

We also already have a large number of expensive players who are past their best and/or here on short-term contracts with little stake in the club's future beyond next May: Rico, Fabri, Fosu-Mensah, Vietto, Schurrle. Arguably Seri and some others can also count on a good move elsewhere if we get relegated and therefore dont have to worry about the consequences of that. That is unhealthy IMO, both on the pitch and economically, and reminiscent of our approach around 2013, following which a positive effect of relegation was that it was at least supposed to purge us of such players and herald a new, younger, more humble and dynamic generation of players coming through.

The last thing I'd want to do now is compound take another step back to 2013 by signing some other mediocre hasbeen on an expensive short-term deal.

@jolslover

Quote from: Statto on October 17, 2018, 09:42:18 AM
Quote from: Newry FFC on October 16, 2018, 06:37:48 PM
As far as I'm aware, no transfers are allowed of any kind between windows, including free transfers.

Agreed.

We also already have a large number of expensive players who are past their best and/or here on short-term contracts with little stake in the club's future beyond next May: Rico, Fabri, Fosu-Mensah, Vietto, Schurrle. Arguably Seri and some others can also count on a good move elsewhere if we get relegated and therefore dont have to worry about the consequences of that. That is unhealthy IMO, both on the pitch and economically, and reminiscent of our approach around 2013, following which a positive effect of relegation was that it was at least supposed to purge us of such players and herald a new, younger, more humble and dynamic generation of players coming through.

The last thing I'd want to do now is compound take another step back to 2013 by signing some other mediocre hasbeen on an expensive short-term deal.

I don't understand this opinion at all. You are saying we should sign players no one else wants because then they will to fight for Fulham?
No. I want players that can easily get a move elsewhere if we go down because it means there actually good footballers.  Why would I want a player who couldn't get a move away if we went down. Just shows there championship level. Our squad now is so much younger than our last season in the prem. What does dynamic and humble even mean? I don't care if a player is humble or not i want to see good footballers
STH H3

Jimpav

Agree with the other posters.

This guy is not going to be another Parker/Murphy, and even if he was, we're only 8 games into the season.

It's naive to think that our new signings are going to walk straight into a newly promoted team, in the highest quality league and start making waves.

It might be different if players like Seri were still underperfoming come January, but Joka needs time for his vision to materialise.

Statto

Quote from: @jolslover on October 17, 2018, 12:12:19 PM
I don't understand this opinion at all. You are saying we should sign players no one else wants because then they will to fight for Fulham?
No. I want players that can easily get a move elsewhere if we go down because it means there actually good footballers.  Why would I want a player who couldn't get a move away if we went down. Just shows there championship level. Our squad now is so much younger than our last season in the prem. What does dynamic and humble even mean? I don't care if a player is humble or not i want to see good footballers

Lol, and the FoF award for biggest misinterpretation of a post in 2018 goes to... You  :yay:

Carborundum

He's been an outstanding pro over many years and I have a lot of respect for him. I remember a game against Villa on the opening day of the season where I headed to the Cottage full of hope and expectation only to watch us denied by James Collins in full brick wall mode leading to a nil nil draw.

But if anyone thinks he's the answer to our current problems, they are looking at a question I don't quite recognise.

MikeW

Guys 'n gals.

Nowhere did I say we should sign him as a replacement CB

I said: "This guy would be great to have around our squad with its defensive frailties.  Good old fashioned stopper who could work with the younger players.  Maybe might to get to sit on the bench as well if some guts and thunder needed."

I'm thinking experience, League knowledge, good influence on youngsters.

Don't read things into what I didn't say ... it was an opinion.  That includes you Statto.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

filham

It is unbelievable that we are having this type of discussion when the club spent £100m on eleven new players in the summer. Wow , we must have made some big mistakes.

MJG

Quote from: filham on October 17, 2018, 09:49:35 PM
It is unbelievable that we are having this type of discussion when the club spent £100m on eleven new players in the summer. Wow , we must have made some big mistakes.
it's hardly a long discussion, 18 posts spread across 11 posters and I count only maybe 2 or 3 or agree with the original poster. It's hardly a ringing endorsement that we have made some big mistakes.
Just the views of a long term fan

Statto

Quote from: MikeW on October 17, 2018, 06:09:00 PM
Guys 'n gals.

Nowhere did I say we should sign him as a replacement CB

I said: "This guy would be great to have around our squad with its defensive frailties.  Good old fashioned stopper who could work with the younger players.  Maybe might to get to sit on the bench as well if some guts and thunder needed."

I'm thinking experience, League knowledge, good influence on youngsters.

Don't read things into what I didn't say ... it was an opinion.  That includes you Statto.

In fairness the topic headline is still "good squad addition" which does give the impression you are suggesting we sign him as a player more than a coach
But having re-read your OP I now see what you mean