Burnley
0 - 4 Chelsea
Palace
2 - 2 Arsenal
Man Utd
2 - 1 Everton

WhiteJC

Fulham talking points as Shahid Khan watches on & Tom Cairney returns to action

The owner was there to watch Fulham's 3-0 defeat to Bournemouth - here's our talking points from the game

Shahid Khan's attendance at Craven Cottage

With the Jacksonville Jaguars in town for their annual international NFL game at Wembley Stadium, Shahid Khan and his entourage were at Craven Cottage to cast their eyes over what £100million of his money had been spent on in the summer.

Khan was keen before the game, getting to his seat a whole ten minutes before kick off, but it was a different picture come the end having seen Fulham brushed aside by AFC Bournemouth in a 3-0 defeat.

Arms folded and slumped back in his chair, Khan was not a happy man at the culmination of 90 minutes and I would certainly give a penny for his thoughts at the final whistle.

Slavisa Jokanovic got a public backing from the owner in his pre-match programme notes ahead of the game after rumours he had two games to save his job at the Cottage, but that did nothing to help the head coach's fortunes on the pitch.

It wasn't the performance Fulham will have been wanting to put on in front of their owner and with Khan putting so much of his money into strengthening the side over the summer, he'll have been bitterly disappointed at how some of those players fared.

Things aren't all rosy in the Jaguars camp either, and defeat for them at Wembley later on Sunday, coupled with Fulham's loss, will certainly give Khan food for thought on his way back across the Atlantic.

(Image: Clive Rose/Getty Images)

Individual mistakes cost Fulham once more

Fulham had returned to basics in training last week, concentrating on a 4-4-1-1 system that Jokanovic hoped would cut out the easy goals they had been conceding in the previous nine games.

It looked like it was working too - the side had eliminated the large spaces between midfield and defence and looked compact, until a clumsy and silly foul from Timothy Fosu-Mensah sent Callum Wilson tumbling in the box.

Yet again, an individual mistake had cost the side dear, with Wilson putting the ball into Sergio Rico's net to make it ten games without a clean sheet in the league for the team.

(Image: Marc Atkins/Getty Images)

It's a serious issue and one that is far harder to sort than the likes of defensive shape or defending balls into the box.

The blame falls on Jokanovic as the head coach, but the players need to cut the basic errors out and start proving that they themselves are able to play at the highest level.

Those players need to stand up and be counted - and they can take a leaf out of Bournemouth's book on that front.

They were well drilled, communicated constantly and played as a unit, something that Fulham have so far failed to do.

Tom Cairney makes his return

If there's a positive to take from Saturday, the return of Tom Cairney is it.

Fulham have lacked creativity without their captain and it was clear from the moment he came on just how much the team rely on him to set their attacks up.

Everything came through him as he looked left to right, trying to pick gaps between Bournemouth's midfield and defence, although Eddie Howe recognised this and reorganised his side to sit deep and remove any spaces he could exploit.

(Image: John Walton/PA Wire)

That said, Jean-Michael Seri looked like he had been released by the presence of Cairney and we saw the Ivorian get forward more and try to get things happening on the edge of the box.

Cairney makes Fulham a better team, there's no doubting it, and just having him back for the six-pointer against Huddersfield Town next Monday will be massive for his side's chances.

Aleksandar Mitrovic was isolated as Fulham lacked ideas up top

Having scored five goals in the Premier League this season, Aleksandar Mitrovic cut a lonely and frustrated figure for the second week in a row.

(Image: Marc Atkins/Getty Images)

He was left isolated for large periods of the game as Fulham struggled to get the ball to him in any dangerous positions and spent more time defending than he did causing Bournemouth problems.

It was the same against Cardiff City last week - there was very little service to the striker, meaning he came deeper and deeper to get the ball, leaving Fulham with no striker.

Mitrovic is best used up top, with service into his feet or in the air, to bully defenders and bring his widemen into game, and that's just not been happening in recent weeks.

(Image: John Walton/PA Wire)

Earlier in the season, they created chances and looked like they could score goals, but that has been lacking in recent weeks and they just don't seem to be able to get the ball to the Serbian like they have been doing.

For all the defensive concerns, this is something else that needs addressing as Fulham take on Manchester City in the Carabao Cup and Huddersfield in the league.

If Fulham can't score, they don't win.

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-talking-points-shahid-khan-15338676

WhiteJC

Jokanovic makes case for the defence after Fulham fall to another defeat

Slavisa Jokanovic defended his decision to make further changes to Fulham's defence for their 3-0 home defeat to Bournemouth.

He is yet to select the same back four for successive Premier League matches, perhaps contributing to the fact that after 10 fixtures they are in 18th place having conceded 28 goals, the division's highest total.

Goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli was also dropped for Saturday's defeat, with Sergio Rico making his debut behind a defence in which Alfie Mawson, Calum Chambers, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Joe Bryan and Maxime Le Marchand have all been used without success.

Fosu-Mensah was recalled against Bournemouth, to whom he gifted a penalty with a clumsy, late challenge on Callum Wilson, but Jokanovic said: "I didn't change so much when we compare to the last game (the 4-2 defeat at Cardiff). I didn't use Timothy Fosu-Mensah against Cardiff.

"I made the decision not to use Cyrus Christie because he played two games for his national team (the Republic of Ireland).

"I played with Chambers at right-back, but (for Bournemouth) I made one change in the defensive line, if you don't start talking about injured players and defensive players, one thing or another thing.

"I can make one time more some kind of change, but we need to be calm and accept our mistakes and try to find the solution.

"We tried to be more organised, but the mistakes killed us.

"This level is really hard and tough, not just for Fulham but for a few teams in the Premier League, it's the highest level in England and it's different pace, different strengths and it was my sensation that I need more energy, more aggression, more sprint in the midfield.

"We move around, but we were one step behind them and they were stronger and faster and during the game – the result is fair."

In the absence of the injured Joshua King, Bournemouth changed systems to a three-man central defence with wing-backs and defended impressively throughout.

Their ability to adjust represents a further cause for optimism following a promising start to the season that has left them on course to challenge for qualification to the Champions League

Manager Eddie Howe said: "It was a challenge and the players adapted well.

"It was a blow to miss Joshua King, but Callum Wilson got us two goals and we really needed it.

"We're in a good place and confidence is high but we can't look too far ahead. We go into a cup game (at home to Norwich) on Tuesday and then into a big one with Manchester United next weekend."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/jokanovic-makes-case-for-the-defence-after-fulham-fall-to-another-defeat_339899.html

WhiteJC

Jokanovic stands by decision to make more changes

Slavisa Jokanovic has defended his decision to make further changes to Fulham's defence for their 3-0 home defeat to Bournemouth.

He is yet to select the same back four for successive Premier League matches, perhaps contributing to the fact that after 10 fixtures they are in 18th place having conceded 28 goals, the division's highest total.

Goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli was also dropped for Saturday's defeat, with Sergio Rico making his debut behind a defence in which Alfie Mawson, Calum Chambers, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Joe Bryan and Maxime Le Marchand have all been used without success.

Fosu-Mensah was recalled against Bournemouth, to whom he gifted a penalty with a clumsy, late challenge on Callum Wilson, but Jokanovic said: "I didn't change so much when we compare to the last game (the 4-2 defeat at Cardiff). I didn't use Timothy Fosu-Mensah against Cardiff.

"I made the decision not to use Cyrus Christie because he played two games for his national team (the Republic of Ireland).

"I played with Chambers at right-back, but (for Bournemouth) I made one change in the defensive line, if you don't start talking about injured players and defensive players, one thing or another thing.

"I can make one time more some kind of change, but we need to be calm and accept our mistakes and try to find the solution.

"We tried to be more organised, but the mistakes killed us.

"This level is really hard and tough, not just for Fulham but for a few teams in the Premier League, it's the highest level in England and it's different pace, different strengths and it was my sensation that I need more energy, more aggression, more sprint in the midfield.

"We move around, but we were one step behind them and they were stronger and faster and during the game – the result is fair."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/jokanovic-explains-why-he-made-yet-more-defensive-changes

WhiteJC

Jokanovic the right man for Fulham, says owner Khan

Slavisa Jokanovic continues to have the backing of Fulham owner Shahid Khan, who has asked for patience from the club's fans.

Fulham owner Shahid Khan has lifted the pressure from Slavisa Jokanovic with a timely message of support for the club's under-fire head coach.

Doubts over whether the London side can retain their place in the Premier League have steadily crept up across a poor first 10 fixtures.

The Cottagers have shipped an alarming 28 goals in that time and Saturday's meek 3-0 defeat to Bournemouth extended their losing run to four matches.

Jokanovic, however, appears likely to be given time to rectify the situation after overhauling the squad that won promotion from the Championship last season.

"We have to come up with the team that's going to move us forward. But again, I'm very optimistic," Khan told Sky Sports.

"The fans, the supporters, I want them to remember last year we were at the bottom of the Championship table. Really, not too many people had hope for us to get promoted.

"I have faith in the players and Slav to keep us up. Slav's our guy.

"It was not a good day for us obviously [on Saturday]. I spent quite a bit of time with him and I have all the confidence in Slav."

Fulham visit Manchester City in the EFL Cup on Thursday before a trip to fellow strugglers Huddersfield Town.

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/jokanovic-right-man-fulham-says-owner-khan#P8KgOxfixlBbczrJ.99

WhiteJC

This £9m-rated Swedish star would be a superb addition for Fulham

Fulham's start to the campaign continued to struggle along this weekend as they were dismantled at home by Bournemouth.

The Cottagers have not quite adapted to life in the top flight like many thought they would, and manager Slavisa Jokanovic is coming under increased pressure to turn things around after guiding them to promotion via the playoffs last term.

With a host of new signings in the summer, some of which woefully short of form or ability to cut it in the top flight, the January window could well prove to be a massive one for Jokanovic and Fulham.

Despite defensive issues, we at the Tavern think a few more goals wouldn't go amiss, and we believe the club should look to sign Swedish international midfielder Viktor Claesson.

Valued at only £9m by Transfermarkt, the 26-year-old has proven himself to be quite the talent for Krasnodar since making the move to the Russian club, and he would surely relish the chance of a move to the Premier League.

Claesson knocked in ten goals from his attacking midfield position last season, and has already gotten off to a good start this season, further underlining his quality.

Fulham are going to need goals if they are to stay up, and signing someone who likes to burst beyond attackers and get in and amongst the goals like Claesson could well be a superb piece of business for the club.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/this-9m-rated-swedish-star-would-be-a-superb-addition-for-fulham/

WhiteJC

Thirteenth bell looms ominously over Slavisa Jokanovic after Fulham's defeat to Bournemouth​

Fulham's pivotal 'six-pointer' against Huddersfield next Monday could be a last saloon for the Serbian

Shahid Khan claimed he was "equal parts amused, astonished and disappointed" by the "sensational and fictional headlines related to Slavisa [Jokanovic]" during the week.

But as Fulham's owner oversaw his side's demoralising 3-0 defeat at home to Bournemouth on Saturday there could be little in the way of astonishment. Nor could any vestige of amusement be drained from that trifecta. Only disappointment remained.

A somewhat tetchy Jokanovic echoed Khan's comments after the game, stating that he shares a "fantastic personal relationship" with the owner while conceding that their bond will do little in buying him any extra favour after another inept defensive performance.

"Our relationship is fantastic but he didn't bring me here because I'm a good lad or something like this," Jokanovic said. "He brings me here to win the games. This is my challenge, my work, and I'm ready for that.

"It's a professional relationship. He expects from my side – like all the supporters expect from my team – victories. It's natural. He cannot be especially satisfied with our situation. I cannot be satisfied, like my players and the supporters."

"I am extremely disappointed tonight."

Jokanovic revealed that he had spent the entire week in training trying to eradicate the mindless errors which have consistently derailed Fulham this season, only for Timothy Fosu-Mensah to gracelessly barge Bournemouth's Callum Wilson over in the box after just twelve minutes.

"These mistakes kill us," Jokanovic continued. "This level right now is really hard, really tough. Not only for Fulham but for a few teams in the Premier League.

"This is the highest level in England and it's different pace, different strength. We need more energy, more aggression, more spring.

"At the end, it's hard for me, for the board, supporters and our players but our solution is here. To be brave and keep going forward.

Fulham travel to the John Smith's Stadium next Monday to take on Huddersfield in what, even in November, has already been labelled a six-point game. Fulham are just two points clear of the Terriers, who are rooted to the bottom of the table and still await a first Premier League win.

Before joining the West London club, Jokanovic had successfully managed everywhere from Israel to Thailand. Only during one short stint in Sofia, Bulgaria has the emigre of the Eastern block become entirely unstuck.

Jokanovic was sacked by Levski Sofia after thirteen games in 2013 and the pivotal trip to West Yorkshire next Monday will also be his thirteenth game in charge of Fulham in all competitions this week. To add to the ominous prophecy, club insiders reportedly decided that the Serbian had two games to rescue Fulham from their cascade towards relegation.

Fans in Bulgaria were distraught when Jokanovic was dismissed believing he needed more time to resurrect his side in Sofia. Would that reaction be shared by Fulham's supporters?

It seemed to be that way in some respects as Craven Cottage hopefully bellowed support for their boss upon the opening whistle against the Cherries. But by the time Bournemouth's third bustled the net, the only clapping was that of feet spilling out towards the River Thames. And those dregs which did remain served only to offer jeers and cries for a miracle.

Sadly, that is the swift and fickle descent from samaritan to charlatan, as the majority accept that unless the Serbian is set adrift, they all might well become beached on the riverbank.

Jokanovic called for bravery from his players after the defeat. The question really, as Shahid Khan's moustache wilted into the shape of his grimace beneath on Saturday, is how much mettle can he afford to show his great friend.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/slavisa-jokanovic-shahid-khan-fulham-bournemouth-interview-press-conference-premier-league-efl-a8605906.html

WhiteJC

Tim Ream blasts Fulham teammates' "lack of fight" as pressure rises on Slavisa Jokanovic

The Cottagers have conceded 12 goals in their last three Premier League games after being put to the sword by Bournemouth on Saturday

Shahid Khan was full of optimism pre-match and declared, in his programme notes, "consider me a believer."

That positivity would surely have been wiped away by what followed at Craven Cottage.

As owner Khan watched ­Fulham collapse again he was an image that spoke a thousand words. Arms folded, thoroughly unimpressed expression, slumped in his seat in the stands. That was just at 1-0.

At one point, after David Brooks made it 2-0, he couldn't even watch. And the second from Callum ­Wilson, plus Kevin McDonald's red card further e­xposed Fulham's ­defensive frailties on the pitch.

The way they went down, in shambolic fashion and with a whimper, all but confirmed their issues off it too and ­defender Tim Ream's claims "there's no fight amongst the group right now."

There were more scenes at full-time to concern Khan too.

Bournemouth were a picture of unity, all of their players and backroom staff celebrating as one with their fans.

Fractured Fulham were the opposite. Only Ream and Ryan Sessegnon stayed to acknowledge their suffering supporters. The rest had skulked off ­sheepishly long before.

Dejected boss Slavisa ­Jokanovic stood out like a sore thumb as he trudged off down the centre of the pitch, all alone thoughts for company. How much longer he will have to turn things around was possibly on his mind.

In his message to fans Khan also gave Jokanovic a vote of confidence but the successful businessman will know the numbers don't add up.

Fulham's £100million-plus spend has produced just one win. They have also shipped 28 goals, equalling a Premier League record for goals conceded after 10 games and giving them the leakiest ­defence in ­Europe's top five leagues.

Jokanovic has named different defences in each of Fulham's 12 games and Sergio Rico is now the third keeper they have used in the Premier League.

Defensively it feels like ­Jokanovic has tried everything, yet nothing has worked.

Ream insisted the blame lies squarely with the players and: "I don't think it has anything to do with the manager. We're not playing for ­ourselves and for each other. There's no ­togetherness, no fight amongst the group. It's not acceptable to just cave in and roll over.

"We're not a team, we're a group of individuals who don't look like they want to stay in this league.

"Until that changes and guys, myself included, step up even more, it's going to stay this way.

"I don't know that everyone grasps what the situation is. It's not any one individual, it's the group, it's the collective."

Jokanovic will welcome all the backing but admitted: "It is natural the owner cannot be ­satisfied with our ­situation like I cannot be or my players or supporters.

"Our relationship is ­fantastic, but he brought me here to win games and this is my challenge and my work.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tim-ream-blasts-fulham-teammates-13496964

WhiteJC

Worried Huddersfield Town fans spell out importance of home double-header

Serious situation and improvement needed

Huddersfield Town fans believe the upcoming home double-header against Fulham and West Ham is vital to hopes of turning the season around.

It's now seven defeats in 10 outings for David Wagner's side, prompting worries that if a revival doesn't start immediately, it will be too late.

Some fans already believe Town are dangerously close to becoming cut off at the bottom and are keen to see goals and points in the plus column.

Supporter Ian, from Almondbury, said: "After this disappointing result it is obvious what must happen now - victories against Fulham and West Ham.

"All is not lost yet, but the next two games will probably dictate the rest of the season.

"Surely they will have some luck in these games."

Kirkburton-based Robert agrees on the gravity of these home games.

"Well, we know we can't score - now we can't defend either!," he said.

"The Fulham game next week gives us a good chance for that first win, but improvement is certainly needed."

Bryan, who follows from Slaithwaite, is on the same page.

"It hurts to say this was a shambolic display, especially from the defence," he explained.

"After such decent performances of late, we were all at sea.

"True, we had our moments, and the statistics don't look that bad, but this could and should have been a much heavier defeat.

"After a bright opening 10 minutes where we failed to take our chances, we were punished as per usual.

"Sloppy defending and passing coupled with the usual non-threat up front was heartbreaking to watch.

"If we can't get a win against Fulham, I despair. We need a goalscorer!"

Roger, in Kirkburton, messaged: "Oh dear, simply not good enough and sadly we are starting to become adrift at the foot of the table."

Namesake Roger, in Shepley, feels there are echoes of Town's relegation season from the top flight in 1971-72.

"No longer can we blame bad luck poor refereeing etc, it is now more serious," he said.

"We owe a lot to Wagner but his reputation is getting tarnished.

"Our defence has joined the attackers in being not fit for purpose. I watched 45 years ago to what happened when we were losing in Division 1;why do I get this feeling of deja vu?"

Paul, in Romford, suggests some solutions to Town's winless run.

"We clearly need Kongolo back fit and stick with a 3-5-2 formation," he ventured.

"We must get on the front foot and counter attack more quickly than we do at the moment; this means the two wing backs and the frontmen must be very quick.

"I like Depoitre, I think Mounie has more potential but no form at the moment, so I'd give Kachunga the centre role with Pritchard as the second attacker.

"On the plus side, I think we are better than our results but with no luck at the moment.

"However, there are a few others who are very reachable - we just need to be the one to hit form and pull ourselves out of the bottom five.

"It's still very do-able."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/worried-huddersfield-town-fans-spell-15340065