watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Last season vs This season

Started by Spirit of 2000, November 09, 2018, 08:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirit of 2000

Taking Mitrovic out as it would be unfair to bless either side with him and taking into consideration team spirit or lack of it – who would win this match (considering no injuries apply)?

Betts, Fredericks, Targett, Odoi, Ream, KMac, Cairney, Stef Jo, Sessegnon, Ayite (or Kebano), Kamara

Rico, Fosu Mensah, Bryan,  Mawson, Chambers, Le Marchand (latter 2 have both played DM before so 1 slots in there), Anguissa, Seri, Schurrle, Christie & Vietto (central as he mostly played before coming here)

toshes mate

Interesting.  Perhaps even Fonte as a striker in last season's eleven would have been odds-on for a hat trick.

The Old Count

Well we're playing worse than Hull did last season and our Championship side beat them.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: The Old Count on November 09, 2018, 09:24:20 AM
Well we're playing worse than Hull did last season and our Championship side beat them.

Exactly - seems we've spent £100 million and gone backwards.

The two fullbacks I know we were powerless with & tried to retain both. There's no evidence as yet that Bryan will not be the equal of Targett and his injury is very unfortunate. Fredericks we didn't replace properly and are paying the price. The rest shows you what a committed side with team spirit in abundance can do and how poor any team lacking cohesion, spirit, fight, passion etc are - no matter how technically great Seri can be or Schurrle etc etc.

Apart from another centre back, a decent right back proven in the English game is essential in January if we're to have any hope. The lack of team spirit & passion is a little harder to replicate and until the new signings can show they're willing and able to give that - our best chance of scrapping our way to 17th would be using a large portion of the old guard.

@jolslover

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on November 09, 2018, 09:43:02 AM
Quote from: The Old Count on November 09, 2018, 09:24:20 AM

Exactly - seems we've spent £100 million and gone backwards.

The two fullbacks I know we were powerless with & tried to retain both. There's no evidence as yet that Bryan will not be the equal of Targett and his injury is very unfortunate. Fredericks we didn't replace properly and are paying the price. The rest shows you what a committed side with team spirit in abundance can do and how poor any team lacking cohesion, spirit, fight, passion etc are - no matter how technically great Seri can be or Schurrle etc etc.

Apart from another centre back, a decent right back proven in the English game is essential in January if we're to have any hope. The lack of team spirit & passion is a little harder to replicate and until the new signings can show they're willing and able to give that - our best chance of scrapping our way to 17th would be using a large portion of the old guard.

Why do people think this. Sess and Mitro are the only players from the old guard that look close to prem level.
STH H3

Woolly Mammoth

Currently most of the current team have no balls, most of them couldn't tackle a boiled egg, or foul a footpath, head a search party, or pass water, they couldn't beat a carpet.
No heart, no appetite, no pride, no confidence and far far too fragile, they are not fit to wear the shirt.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SuffolkWhite

Maybe joka should have started the season with the old School and given them a chance to sink or swim and then introduce the new players gradually......Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Lighthouse

This time last season were we not still poor to watch? Or had we turned it around by now? Point is even at our poorest we never look as clueless as we do now. So I have no problem or doubt in saying last years team would beat this years team.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Spirit of 2000

You need to scrap and battle your way out of trouble. You need commitment and leadership. There's more fight in a Saga holiday group than there is Seri, Vietto & Schurrle (plus more defensive nous than in Chambers & Fosu Mensah)

Whilst they won't set the premiership alight at least Odoi, KMac, StefJo etc will put a shift in and look like they care, undeniably we need re-enforcements in January to stand an earthly but in the meantime we need to get some semblance of organisation and fight to get to the point where we're competitive.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on November 09, 2018, 10:25:57 AM
Maybe joka should have started the season with the old School and given them a chance to sink or swim and then introduce the new players gradually......Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Good point. Brighton have followed that trend, to more success than us.

MJG

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on November 09, 2018, 10:35:56 AM
You need to scrap and battle your way out of trouble. You need commitment and leadership. There's more fight in a Saga holiday group than there is Seri, Vietto & Schurrle (plus more defensive nous than in Chambers & Fosu Mensah)

Whilst they won't set the premiership alight at least Odoi, KMac, StefJo etc will put a shift in and look like they care, undeniably we need re-enforcements in January to stand an earthly but in the meantime we need to get some semblance of organisation and fight to get to the point where we're competitive.
We had a Saga Holiday team in 2013/14 and that didnt help either
Just the views of a long term fan

hovewhite

Last seasons team were a far better unit than this seasons motley Crew this lot no fight, togetherness,no passion and look like they  don't want be on the pitch.

Chutney

This sums it up, we had an awful summer, our squad is worse despite the £100mil spent. Somebody has to be held to account for this.
C O Y W

gerrys

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 09, 2018, 10:30:42 AM
This time last season were we not still poor to watch? Or had we turned it around by now? Point is even at our poorest we never look as clueless as we do now. So I have no problem or doubt in saying last years team would beat this years team.
We turned it around after losing to Sunderland who had not won a game in a year. That was in the middle of December. I thought that we might replicate it after Cardiff but Huddersfield is a lower point still........maybe now we can start the run  :023:

nose returns

last seasons team would win comfortably IMO
BUT
Last seasons team were not good enough for the prem, maybe we would have scrapped enough points but the squad needed much attention and that is what we have done exept the new guys are completely wrong! There is not a single addition I wouldn't willing replace with an alternative more sensible choice. even seri is a disapointment.

Pieter A’dam

biggest mistake in my opinion is not replacing Targett and Fredericks adequately. Because of this centre backs are nervous, and can't pressure and pass the ball, and this leads to an unstable midfield (Kmac-TC-Stef was a well oiled machine). the whole thing is so unbalanced ... No wonder that Ream/ Odoi and the new boys are struggling. Last year Sess was sensational with Targett behind him. At the moment we don't have fullbacks that can solve this problem; MLM-christie-Fosu not good enough to play in this system (or in the PL at all !!). By the time we get this fixed will be too late if we keep playing in Slav's system.

toshes mate

Quote from: Pieter A'dam on November 09, 2018, 12:52:18 PM
biggest mistake in my opinion is not replacing Targett and Fredericks adequately.
IMO this is at the root of the problem.  When we sold Scott Malone and didn't replace him we were literally forced to play RS at left back generating consternation on here about SJ playing him out of position.  Coupled with Odoi's usefulness as a CB which remained much of a mystery until Kalas couldn't play the team was consistently unbalanced resulting in inconsistency in defence, midfield and attack. We then fail to secure Frederick's signature because an option clause was left out of his existing contract, and Targett because apparently the mony was needed elsewhere for the 'ambitious' midfield players. Naturally enough we are now lopsided on both flanks simply because neither playing fullbacks are 'better or as good as' what we have lost.  Bryan may be the answer on the left but that still leaves the right and I believe Christie is better in midfield although perhaps not a 'strong' PL player by all accounts.

Misadventure, bad admin or bad planning?  Who can tell?

Mickeyboro

Bryan could still be a diamond, injury permitting. Fosu Mensah for Fred is an entirely different matter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt Fulham

Last year's playoff final team would beat our current team. The way we play requires confidence and understanding and the difference between those aspects of both teams is huge.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Chutney on November 09, 2018, 12:36:09 PM
This sums it up, we had an awful summer, our squad is worse despite the £100mil spent. Somebody has to be held to account for this.

It is not worse. Ridiculous comment.