more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR They Shall Not Grow Old

Started by Peabody, November 12, 2018, 07:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Did anyone see it on BBC2 last night?

It was, in my opinion, a very moving and the colourisation really brought to life, what it was actually like in the trenches.

WhiteJC

This was the Peter Jackson film/documentary we discussed the other week, very thought provoking and I think should be shown in every school

Fernhurst

Sat down to watch it last night Mr P  expecting a much more jingoistic view of the great war. Really surprised by the starkness portrayed, a real eye opener and has changed my view of WW1.
Found it so distressing the boys that fought were so ostracized when they returned and were met with adverts for jobs which read "ex servicemen need not apply"
Agree with you the colour made a real difference but overall I just felt sad, sad sad.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: WhiteJC on November 12, 2018, 11:30:22 AM
This was the Peter Jackson film/documentary we discussed the other week, very thought provoking and I think should be shown in every school

Apparently a free copy is being sent out to every school that wants one. Absoloute must see television.

Fulham1959

Mixed feelings.

I was desperate to see this film and the real-life voice-overs (recorded in the 1960s) made it so authentic, especially with the expertly chosen footage which accompanied them.  I would have liked, however, an occasional overview commentary.

Some of the sequences looked as if they were filmed a few days ago, because of the often superb definition - plus amazing conversion to colour.  It was hard to watch some of the more graphic scenes, however, because of the colour.

Because we are so used to it, I think that black and white films add historical distance, which I probably prefer.  The same applies to WW2 footage.

Overall, the film should be applauded for the technical achievement and for its documentary and educational values.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: Fulham1959 on November 12, 2018, 02:14:24 PM
Mixed feelings.

I was desperate to see this film and the real-life voice-overs (recorded in the 1960s) made it so authentic, especially with the expertly chosen footage which accompanied them.  I would have liked, however, an occasional overview commentary.

Some of the sequences looked as if they were filmed a few days ago, because of the often superb definition - plus amazing conversion to colour.  It was hard to watch some of the more graphic scenes, however, because of the colour.

Because we are so used to it, I think that black and white films add historical distance, which I probably prefer.  The same applies to WW2 footage.

Overall, the film should be applauded for the technical achievement and for its documentary and educational values.

I get your point re: commentary however I think [part of the power of the documentary was that it was natural and you can see how the men interacted together and a celebrity voiceover would have killed that. Part of the power of it was taking the old stock film and modernising it and the scene where the sound of the camera ended and you saw the fields and heard the noises was simply incredible. It's the documentary to learn about the war, but if you want to experience it I can think of few, if any, better.

sunburywhite

Also the Laurence Olivier narrated World At War filmed back in the early 70's should be shown in schools. It was amazing to see some of the people like Hitlers secretary intervied and some of the footage was very graphic.

Episode 1 begins with a cold open describing the massacre at the French village of Oradour-sur-Glane by the Waffen SS
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

MJG

There is a documentary on at 9pm tonight about shell shock made by Dan Snow. My Grandfather who some of you may have read a book or two of his is interviewed in it tonight.
Just the views of a long term fan

SP

Quote from: sunburywhite on November 12, 2018, 03:22:30 PM

Also the Laurence Olivier narrated World At War filmed back in the early 70's should be shown in schools. It was amazing to see some of the people like Hitlers secretary intervied and some of the footage was very graphic.

Episode 1 begins with a cold open describing the massacre at the French village of Oradour-sur-Glane by the Waffen SS

I've just been watching The World At War as they're rerunning all episodes. Brilliant series.

Robbie

Absolutely brilliant. Mademoseille from Armentieres on YouTube is very good too.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Fernhurst on November 12, 2018, 12:01:16 PM
Sat down to watch it last night Mr P  expecting a much more jingoistic view of the great war. Really surprised by the starkness portrayed, a real eye opener and has changed my view of WW1.
Found it so distressing the boys that fought were so ostracized when they returned and were met with adverts for jobs which read "ex servicemen need not apply"
Agree with you the colour made a real difference but overall I just felt sad, sad sad.

This is a bit of information that I did not know, the ostracizing of returning servicemen after WWI. This is a very sore point with me given the treatment my age group got when we returned form Vietnam. Horrible scar on my soul.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Twig

Quote from: YankeeJim on November 12, 2018, 09:42:33 PM
Quote from: Fernhurst on November 12, 2018, 12:01:16 PM

This is a bit of information that I did not know, the ostracizing of returning servicemen after WWI. This is a very sore point with me given the treatment my age group got when we returned form Vietnam. Horrible scar on my soul.

Sadly there are too many examples of this, I can only sympathise. Whatever a person's views of the broader issues around the justification for wars, the treatment ofindividual men and women who have served should be supportive and welcoming. We owe them so much.

FulhamStu

The generals should have all faced charges...the way they treated people was unacceptable in anyone's book.
What got me was the happy faces of the men, they were sadly let down, much the same way as many people are these days.  Life in parts of the UK are a lot more difficult than in London and the Home Counties

I was also taken by other programs that showed how France and Britain punished the German people after the 1st WW, which was certainly a factor in allowing Hitler to gain control and we know what happened after that.

You could draw interesting parallels to what is happening now, obviously we are at a much higher level in terms of quality of most peoples lives, however treating people well or badly has consequences.

Some amazing stuff on the tv in the last few days.   We should try and learn from it.