watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

VAR

Started by clanky, November 12, 2018, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clanky

Thought I'd start a new topic as I'm done to death on the hokey cokey Joka in/out scenario !

I note there's now overwhelming momentum to introduce VAR immediately but only a couple of weeks ago most pundits were dead against it stating it wasn't necessary, would slow the game down etc.

If we do get it, and I personally would welcome it, I tihnk we need to set us some strict operating parameters otherwise we'll never get past the first 5 minutes as every 'controversial' decision will be reviewed ad nauseum. It will be used tactically if it isn't strictly operated.

You only have to look at England's disallowed try on Saturday aginst the all Blacks which to my mind should have stood. A technical offside infringement which nobody had first detected.

Charlie Austin had a point on Saturday but I do support the ref trying to do the best he can without having the benefit of a video replay.

If Var was in use, then Bertrand would have been red carded earlier and a penalty given.

Similarly, not sure whether VAR would have changed Mitro's header, may have cancelled Salah's goal for moving ball from a freekick but may have had Chamber's off on a red.

So introduce it by all means, but let's think about this and get a decent system in place , otherwise MOTD won't be shown until midnight as games will still be playing.

We need to be careful what we wish for

( PS- I hope he stays !)

S.F.Sorrow

I'm against it. It totally ruins the game with all the interruptions. As long as the ref can overrule VAR and even choose to completely ignore it the decisions will still be biased. And as long as certain situations, like diving, will be completely ignored by VAR it's just a joke. If anything it favours the cheats. Like it did in the World Cup.

Jamie88

I'm 100% for it - I know even when we watch replays we can still argue about decisions made, but by and large it would sort out many many wrong decisions.

Lighthouse

Well the problem is it will only ever be used in the top league and matches. Leaving the lower leagues playing to a different system. That may not matter and tennis does ok with it in only some tournaments. But do we use it as goal technology or to second guess the ref in some instances.

I have to admit to changing my mind about it and then changing it back again. I always insisted it should only be used for goal line technology. But I am really not sure now. Off sides, bad decisions, penalty decisions. How far do we go with it?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ToodlesMcToot

I've never considered the system as having too much impact on the flow of the match. The thing I've had the most difficulty adapting to is refs allowing sequences of play to pan out before going back to a VAR'able call/no-call for review. It can be incredibly confusing and frustrating in the moment.

It's the lack of communication from the referees that's my gripe with the system. They do not tell the supporters what they are reviewing or why. All we get is a hand signal that the system is being used and another for the outcome.

If those who are going to be running the VAR 'show' in the PL know what is good for them, they'll look to rugby for their answers. Not that I watch very much rugby but, what from little I've witnessed the referees are very communicative in their explanation of their application of the rules. At very least in the opening stages of its use, I believe that this kind of communication is absolutely necessary.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

filham

No, it would be too disruptive to the flow of the game and we would still get disputed decisions.
Even with VAR we would still be feeling hard done by that our goal on Sunday was disallowed and Liverpool fans would be unhappy that play was stopped and they were not allowed the quick break that gave them a scoring opportunity.

Robbie

100% yes. How can you not want VAR after yesterday !!!!

VAR protects the smaller teams from large team bias.

bobbo

Me too 100% for it. Yes it will cause stopages but so much better to get it right . Cricket,tennis or rugby have suffered no ill effects. Get it in.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Matt10

As someone who watches Bundesliga and MLS weekly, the VAR system works just fine. The only ever "controversy" is if the referee decided to overrule after reviewing the incident. In terms of ruining gameflow, why? It doesn't. It is not every little incident either, there is no real argument when it's clear as day seen on replay - and even if it's not, the fact that it empowers players and referees alike, is something that is badly needed in the top tier leagues.

Jimpav

The World Cup wasn't too bad, but international football is often a bit slower then the premier league.

Yesterday's goal was horrible but had it have been two neutral teams
Then it would have been highly entertaining.

Would also reiterate that Chambers would probably have walked yesterday if VAR was in place.

Swings and roundabouts.

Watford_fc

Wonder why the Premier league clubs didn't want in the first place?

Surely not due to the money!?

The Enclosurite

Quote from: Robbie on November 12, 2018, 06:46:09 PM

Probably the exact reason the FA are reluctant to bring it in.
¡COYW!

hovewhite

It should have been bought in this season as I wrongly thought the standard of refs was a lot better.How wrong could I be!

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Robbie on November 12, 2018, 06:46:09 PM

I'm not so sure if VAR will prevent bias. The ref can still overrule or ignore the VAR team. I've only watched VAR in last season's FA cup and the World Cup. The FA Cup was a disaster with several minutes of interruptions every time VAR was involved. The World Cup had several incidents where the ref choose to ignore or overrule VAR. If the ref can overrule 4 people watching slow motion replays from various angles, how can we expect less bias/controversy?

There's also the fact that VAR will only be involved for certain specific incidents. I'm not sure how it's implemented in Bundesliga or other European leagues but in the World Cup it was only allowed to intervene for goals and situations involving red cards (and even then the ref could ignore or overrule it). Everything else was out of bounds, including diving which was exploited with success by certain players.

Trying to look objectively at the Liverpool game:

Mitro's goal against Liverpool would definitely have involved VAR but it was a VERY close call. Opinions were divided so there's a good chance the ref would have let his decision stand after watching the replay. And if that had been the outcome Liverpool would have been denied their fast break for all the wrong reasons. The moving ball incident wouldn't have mattered because their fast break would have been prevented by VAR, not by a fair ruling.

Is that the kind of football we want? My impression of VAR is that we will get just as much controversy and bias but with more interruptions. And it will cost a fortune. Someone is probably making HUGE money on VAR and it all smells a bit fishy to me.

Just my humble opinion of course.  :003:

Andy S

Bring it in ASAP The game is too fast for a 40 year old to keep pace. You only need it if the referee cannot be sure. That will only slow the game fractionally But the decision will be the correct one.

toshes mate

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on November 12, 2018, 05:10:38 PM
I'm against it. It totally ruins the game with all the interruptions. As long as the ref can overrule VAR and even choose to completely ignore it the decisions will still be biased. And as long as certain situations, like diving, will be completely ignored by VAR it's just a joke. If anything it favours the cheats. Like it did in the World Cup.
I genuinely agree with this take.  The problem is the referees and their lack of consistency and the quality of decision making doesn't change even if there are five of them involved on and around the pitch.  My other issue is that VAR is two dimensional and relies upon the perfect view of an incident to reveal ultimate truth.  When you watch a film you are being hoodwinked by having three dimensions reduced to two, and the trickery is all the more convincing by clever and painstakingly rehearsed choreography.  The trickiest players have a whole career in rehearsing their choreographed ref-baffling portfolios and many of them get high scores of success.  VAR will simply add a further combustible and explosive veneer to the sport.  What needs to be done is to improve referees by having more of them, looking after the measured best of them properly, exposing them to criticism when they get things wrong, and most of all, ensuring they are as close to consistency as you can get as a human being.

Moltobueno

I've seen some Serie A games and it is really annoying to see a player running towards referee while making big square gestures into air with their hands as refering to TV screen every time there's some incident near penalty box area.

I prefer watching traditional football (even after the mistake from referees that cost us the first goal against liverpool).

Iaindw1

VAR would have stopped Liverpools goal V Fulham. Surely VAR would have checked it was goal or not.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Moltobueno on November 13, 2018, 12:57:50 PM
I've seen some Serie A games and it is really annoying to see a player running towards referee while making big square gestures into air with their hands as refering to TV screen every time there's some incident near penalty box area.

I prefer watching traditional football (even after the mistake from referees that cost us the first goal against liverpool).

As opposed to players running up to refs holding up imaginary cards or screaming about whichever infraction they feel they've been subjected to? This happens with or without VAR. Your complaint is literally about hand gesture.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Iaindw1 on November 13, 2018, 01:06:33 PM
VAR would have stopped Liverpools goal V Fulham. Surely VAR would have checked it was goal or not.

It's exactly what VAR was designed to correct. The ref didn't do his job and missed an infraction that directly contributed to a goal.