watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Corners and free kicks

Started by The Swan, November 12, 2018, 08:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

When we defend corners and free kicks I shout that we must have a fast player on the halfway line, just in case we have a breakaway..
Well Liverpool did this yesterday with Salah. I know that the goal should not have been allowed due to the mess up with the moving ball.
Lets hope Fulham tries to have a player on the halfway line when we are defending corners and free kicks.
The Swan

filham

Quote from: The Swan on November 12, 2018, 08:00:17 PM
When we defend corners and free kicks I shout that we must have a fast player on the halfway line, just in case we have a breakaway..
Well Liverpool did this yesterday with Salah. I know that the goal should not have been allowed due to the mess up with the moving ball.
Lets hope Fulham tries to have a player on the halfway line when we are defending corners and free kicks.
With our defence we find it necessary to have every player in our box to defend the corner or free kick.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: filham on November 12, 2018, 09:48:20 PM
With our defence we find it necessary to have every player in our box to defend the corner or free kick.

I am sure JOka and his staff have already noted it and will act on it in due course but Mitrovic defending our own penalty box is a problem the beleaguered defence do not need. As has been suggested he would be far more useful on our side of the halfway line occupying the opposition defenders who currently have an age to put us back under pressure. It's the basics again.

I Ronic

The mad  German used to have someone in the centre circle when we defended corners. Only sensible thing he did.

flyingfish

Quote from: ScalleysDad on November 12, 2018, 10:11:51 PM

I am sure JOka and his staff have already noted it and will act on it in due course but Mitrovic defending our own penalty box is a problem the beleaguered defence do not need. As has been suggested he would be far more useful on our side of the halfway line occupying the opposition defenders who currently have an age to put us back under pressure. It's the basics again.

Apart from the fact that mitro clears a lot of corners - he's needed back there.

alfie

Quote from: flyingfish on November 13, 2018, 07:59:39 AM

Apart from the fact that mitro clears a lot of corners - he's needed back there.
so put Sess in centre circle or Schurlle, anyone who is fast.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

MJG

Quote from: alfie on November 13, 2018, 08:41:49 AM

so put Sess in centre circle or Schurlle, anyone who is fast.
Just not the modern way, Wenger started it and nearly every club now does it to the point you are actually surprised when any team leaves someone up.
Just the views of a long term fan

ScalleysDad

Stick, and offer nothing, or twist then is'nt it. There are four players and a keeper who are supposedly defence minded plus a couple of midfielders who are supposedly part of the unit defending set plays. There is only one player capable of making something out of a clearance OR holding onto the ball until the cavalry arrives as I don't think Mitro is built for speed. Sess and Schurle have been mentioned but the average Prem League centre back will have the latter in their pocket. Sess not sure about. Such is the paucity of forward options I don't think AK47, Kebano or Ayite fit the bill either.
As MG mentions it does seem to be the modern way but we seem to be rubbish at it so why not do something different that tests the opposition. When opposition managers send messages onto the pitch these days its probably who wants pizza.