watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ream for Chambers anyone ?

Started by clanky, November 13, 2018, 06:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clanky

I am probalby wrong to speculate too much but wonder whether Ream might be a better choice than Chambers in the 'extra' CB position.

My thinking is that he knows the Fulham way, would be a better link between defence and midfield, is confident on the ball, able to bring the ball out, reads the game well and less likley to get sent off that Chambers who has dived in rashly a couple of times.

I feel he could do a great linking role between defence and midfield and get Cairney and others involved earlier. We gave the ball away too much last Sunday and feel he can restore the balance.

Whilst we are improving, I feel our new players have taken too long to settle down to our style of play

I guess it's horses for courses but feel we have jettisoned last year's player of the year too early. Perhaps I'm too sentimental

Views ?

KJS

Unfortunately Tim Reams has had his chance and has blown it in recent weeks

gang

Tim is a Championship quality player.

aaronmcguigan

Whatever the view is on Tim ( and i doubt it will be positive given his performances this season) I don't see the logic by changing something that we seem to have clicked into place. I'm happy with the aggression and bite provided by Chambers as opposed to diving in rashly as described.

Could easily argue CC has shown that bottle and desire that Ream talked to the press about what was lacking in the squad too

Stoneleigh Loyalist

An excellent display but we could so easily have been discussing the justification of his being sent off rather than being the surprise packet that he turned out to be.

Twig

Thing is it's not really an extra CB but a defensive centre mid. Christie did well so why would he give way to Ream who is untried in that role? Not saying Ream couldn't conceivably do the job but I see no sense in yet another change when we appear to be on the verge of finding a successful formula to our defensive problems.

Oakeshott

There seemed to be significantly better defensive play against Liverpool. Assuming no intervening injuries, surely the sensible thing to do is stick with what worked. A defensive units needs stability.

filham

Quote from: Oakeshott on November 13, 2018, 07:35:00 PM
There seemed to be significantly better defensive play against Liverpool. Assuming no intervening injuries, surely the sensible thing to do is stick with what worked. A defensive units needs stability.
So right, we all have a lot of time for Ream but what was needed in that extra centre back role was good tough ball winning defensive qualities . Chambers did the job asked of him, leave well alone.

Statto

Quote from: Newry FFC on November 13, 2018, 06:48:45 PM
Whatever the view is on Tim ( and i doubt it will be positive given his performances this season) I don't see the logic by changing something that we seem to have clicked into place. I'm happy with the aggression and bite provided by Chambers as opposed to diving in rashly as described.

Could easily argue CC has shown that bottle and desire that Ream talked to the press about what was lacking in the squad too

+1

Bassey the warrior

Chambers was great. Why on earth would you drop him?

KJS

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on November 13, 2018, 07:09:36 PM
An excellent display but we could so easily have been discussing the justification of his being sent off rather than being the surprise packet that he turned out to be.

But we are not  :031:

bahay18

i would go for stability , injuries permitting : unchanged .

colinwhite

Chambers gave the team something Ream doesnt have :aggression and steel bordering on being dirty. We have been too nice on many occasions this season.

Nero

I would simply swap Odoi and Chambers, odoi extra pace will help cover the loose balls and get him out of the back where to me he is a liability

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Milo

Still think Ream has a role to play this season... for him it really is just recovering from injury and I think he will be up to the task and an important player. I know it seems like one rule for him and one rule for Mawson but we've seen what Tim can do first hand.

I do think a hustle and bustle DM role needs an engine though, and Ream in his early 30s is less likely to be effective. Odoi would be a more interesting switch which could really work well but we are in dire need of solidity at CB and he's the only one who has consistently given us that. Chambers has been quite shambolic when played across that back four in one form or another.

Keep Chambers at DM for me until Mawson establishes himself/January defensive reinforcements come in and then trial Odoi further upfield.

hovewhite

Voted for reaaaam last season,but not more changes please slav let the team v pool gel as it looked the solid unit and attitude wise the best for a number of games,with Chambers having his best game in a Fulham shirt.

RaySmith

Chambers  did well, so why reward him by dropping him again? Slavisa would certainly get a lot of flak if he did - deservedly so.

toshes mate

If Ream can outshine Mawson then so be it.

IMO, Sunday's team performance was almost the best I have seen from a Fulham side this season.  In context with the dark clouds the Club had been surrounded by it felt like a silver lining and also gave Chambers his chance for redemption.  It was a pressure release for Jokanovic's 'damned if he does, damned if he doesn't' search and change for a team and formation that would work for him and his players, but, more importantly, it was a source of confidence for everyone.  For sure we can build positively upon a realistic defeat rather than the seeming shock horrors at Cardiff and Huddersfield, and the pallid loss to Bournemouth, but any tinkering needs to be based on solid reasoning and fitness for purpose, as seems to be the ethos of Jokanovic's coaching regime once he has found a core.

It may also help players to understand that Jokanovic and his staff do give them chances to prove themselves for selection no matter what, and in spite of the disproportionate transfer values they may be carrying around their necks.  I hope Anguissa and Seri now begin to show us their real class playing the Fulham way.