watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Championship can't wait

Started by ex-Pat, November 14, 2018, 05:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Pat

I really enjoyed the competition of the championship, the football's  better none of that falling all over the place,losing week in week out, yeah looking forward to it,,,,COYW.......

hovewhite

Also losing every week in the PL is pretty miserable and big losses at that.it might suit the club filling the cottage with tourists and corporate big pound note punters.

Mince n Tatties

Don't get this argument about the Championship, yes its good but the whole point is winning it or being promoted (unless you want to stay a mid table club in there forever, what would be the point).
For a start you'd never see European football again like we had with Roy and seeing the best in England at the Cottage.
The premier is the place to be,every club has ambition, by saying you want to be back in the championship shows none...Coyw.

I Ronic

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on November 14, 2018, 07:05:27 AM
Don't get this argument about the Championship, yes its good but the whole point is winning it or being promoted (unless you want to stay a mid table club in there forever, what would be the point).
For a start you'd never see European football again like we had with Roy and seeing the best in England at the Cottage.
The premier is the place to be,every club has ambition, by saying you want to be back in the championship shows none...Coyw.

0001.jpeg

RaySmith

I f your ambition is to get  back into the Championship - which obviously shows a lack of ambition in terms of the club  being successful -then how do you know that this won't lead to a downward spiral and  the club being relegated again, which, as we know and have experienced, has happened before to Fulham.

In fact, not wanting to  be successful, has a logic of  actually wanting to do poorly. I suppose when we are in the bottom division the  club will win more games, though not necessarily the case, as we saw before, and ticket prices will get lower as we go down through the divisions. I remember well, being able to sit on the  Enclosure terracing in the Third Division, in an almost deserted Cottage, with weeds sporting through the concrete, when we certainly  weren't  winning every game - a mid to bottom of the table Third division side.

If we go out of the league completely, then that might be the most satisfying outcome under this logic.  Prices will certainly be cheaper then, with no tourists, or probably hardly any spectators at all except a real hard core, but at least we will be pure.

Spirit of 2000

There's promotion. 2 automatic and 4 play off places & there's 3 relegation places if you're a Rotherham, but a Rotherham can beat a Derby or Norwich whereas a Fulham have little to no hope of getting anything against the top 6 in the premiership. It's more fun in the championship, more even and exciting matches even if technical ability not as high - the season is alive for most teams deep into the campaign. The Premiership is now more uneven and more expensive to watch than ever. Personally I'd be happy for FFC to become a yoyo club and live within our means, top 6 Championship side and with team spirit enough to give staying up a shot when in the premier league. The premiership would be a much better place if Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs & co took their toys and went and played with them elsewhere in some ill conceived euro super league with Bayern, Real, Barca, Juve, PSG & co and left the rest of English football to its own devices. I have no joy in FFC playing one of the big boys anymore and certainly don't wish to pay over 50 quid to watch us spanked. Yes on many many level the championship is far more fun than the premier.

MJG

Its something I try to raise on here from time to time without much conversation.
Why do we go to games?

Is it to enjoy the day no matter what?
Is it to meet family and friends (or get away from them)
is it all about winning?
is it all about not losing?
Is it about watching your team play the best but get beat a lot?

Looking back over last 18 years here are two tables thats how firstly the percentage of games we didnt lose and the second one the percentage of games we won.

Clearly the best years on those two factors have been the last two seasons. But even the other two years are better than a few PL seasons.

Depends what you wants from your matchday i suppose.
Just the views of a long term fan

King_Crud

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on November 14, 2018, 08:05:38 AM
There's promotion. 2 automatic and 4 play off places & there's 3 relegation places if you're a Rotherham, but a Rotherham can beat a Derby or Norwich whereas a Fulham have little to no hope of getting anything against the top 6 in the premiership. It's more fun in the championship, more even and exciting matches even if technical ability not as high - the season is alive for most teams deep into the campaign. The Premiership is now more uneven and more expensive to watch than ever. Personally I'd be happy for FFC to become a yoyo club and live within our means, top 6 Championship side and with team spirit enough to give staying up a shot when in the premier league. The premiership would be a much better place if Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs & co took their toys and went and played with them elsewhere in some ill conceived euro super league with Bayern, Real, Barca, Juve, PSG & co and left the rest of English football to its own devices. I have no joy in FFC playing one of the big boys anymore and certainly don't wish to pay over 50 quid to watch us spanked. Yes on many many level the championship is far more fun than the premier.

I agree with this

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: MJG on November 14, 2018, 08:13:43 AM
Its something I try to raise on here from time to time without much conversation.
Why do we go to games?

Is it to enjoy the day no matter what?
Is it to meet family and friends (or get away from them)
is it all about winning?
is it all about not losing?
Is it about watching your team play the best but get beat a lot?

Looking back over last 18 years here are two tables thats how firstly the percentage of games we didnt lose and the second one the percentage of games we won.

Clearly the best years on those two factors have been the last two seasons. But even the other two years are better than a few PL seasons.

Depends what you wants from your matchday i suppose.

It's certainly aspects of the first 4 you've listed and not at all anything about the 5th for me. I support FFC - they're my club - 3rd generation fan been going since I was 4, so any comments of go support Chelsea/your local non league club are null and void. I couldn't give a toss about seeing Liverpool, Man U & City's so called superstars on 300k pw destroying us - it gives me no pleasure to see that. Yes I can apprecite talented players & skill but not so when they're making idiots of the side I support. As far as a laugh, day out, going for a drink, seeing friends, beers & banter - much of that can be had at any level of football, often more so at grass roots. Yes I want to see FFC do well and enjoy us being the best we can be, but IMO that's probably going to be a sensibly run self sustaining club who are a very good championship level side and who will give it an honest shot and work hard when promoted with survival being a real achievement until such time as I allude to above - hopefully one day the money goes bang in English football or the "big boys" all sod off and play in their own euro super league & leave us alone to enjoy proper football.

MJG

The premiership would be a much better place if Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs & co took their toys and went and played with them elsewhere in some ill conceived euro super league with Bayern, Real, Barca, Juve, PSG & co and left the rest of English football to its own devices.
While I tend to agree with this my worry would be that it all will start to revert to the same type of thing, just on a slighlty smaller scale.
Everton, Villa, Leeds or whoever will fill that void and all it does really is move teams up a pecking order to somewhere where there will be less cash anyway.
Just the views of a long term fan

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: MJG on November 14, 2018, 08:39:56 AM
The premiership would be a much better place if Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs & co took their toys and went and played with them elsewhere in some ill conceived euro super league with Bayern, Real, Barca, Juve, PSG & co and left the rest of English football to its own devices.
While I tend to agree with this my worry would be that it all will start to revert to the same type of thing, just on a slighlty smaller scale.
Everton, Villa, Leeds or whoever will fill that void and all it does really is move teams up a pecking order to somewhere where there will be less cash anyway.

To a degree there will always be the big clubs but the void will not be as huge a chasm as it is now and if it ever does get there it will take 20 years or more and who knows what else could happen in that time. Would LOVE to see the back of Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea & Liverpool.

Spirit of 2000

Also I don't have a ST as I cannot get to every game due to work & family stuff - Just seen the West Ham ticket prices £55 for a bog standard Hammy End ticket, £70 plus for tikets near halfway at side of pitch. Even OAP tickets £50 in the Hammy - so my old man won't be bothering going again! Absolutely disgusting over-pricing - if this is the ot of the premiership, no ta.

RaySmith

I always enjoy going to watch Fulham, home or away. Its the whole occasion - the build up and anticipation, the journey there, the excitement, and mixing with other fans, especially away. Although, as an OAP, I can't afford to go that often, sadly.

I wouldn't have  such feelings just going watch a  random game, and certainly not a 'top' side to se the stars, just to enjoy a game of football. I'm not interested in that, beyond watching a Sunday league game if I was out for a walk in the park.

And I want see Fulham win - this is my focus,  before and during a game. Supporting Fulham actively-  cheering them on, etc, is important to me - it makes it an active rather than a passive, pursuit. If Fulham win , I feel part of it if I'm there. Yes, winning is important, and it doesn't matter too much the manner it's achieved. I appreciate good football, but also  seeing players trying hard, even if they're not  that great technically-in fact, I maybe enjoy that even more. To see the ball going into an opponents' net, is always euphoric for me, a real high, as a Fulham fan who doesn't take winning, or even scoring, for granted.

However, I can still enjoy the overall match experience even if we lose, and as a  long term fan, I accept the possibility that  Fulham can lose any game they play in. It's the uncertainty that's a lot of the appeal of sport - you never know the outcome of a game, and that's creates a lot of the excitement and anticipation.

As for the Prem - well, it is what it is. There are a lot of things wrong with the modern game, and it's changed for the worse a lot since I began watching, when players were still on a  low wage, capped wage (broken by Fulham's Johnny Haynes, aided by PFA Chairman Jimmy Hill), but I suppose  it's good to test yourselves against the very best, and a real triumph if you get something  from a  game, or even have a good performance.

It's hard for me to think that I could support Fulham, and not want them to win  every game, which then means  promotion -if your in a lower division, though in the Prem  you're often mainly looking at survival, but that I itself is a triumph for smaller, poorer, clubs.

It's just that advocating relegation seems a bit anathema to me - I just think of when we went down though the  divisions before in the late 60's, and , almost, a second time recently.

colinwhite

dont believe Im reading this thread ,some very srange points of view. Ultimately the PL has improved vastly in the last few years and is so much better than the championship.Surely as supporters we want what is best for our club.Winning is important but it isnt everything.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: colinwhite on November 14, 2018, 10:11:08 AM
dont believe Im reading this thread ,some very srange points of view. Ultimately the PL has improved vastly in the last few years and is so much better than the championship.Surely as supporters we want what is best for our club.Winning is important but it isnt everything.

Watching us getting battered 1-5 by Arsenal or one of the other big clubs is no pleasure - especially paying over 50 quid for the privelage. Going to the Cottage to support my side & see friends is the main aspect. Winning more games than you lose - not having a hideously uneven division are good things. Striving for promotion and even if you're 10th in March a playoff place is still on vs can we finish above 3 other less crap sides and isn't it so wonderful to see the over-privelaged stars of the big 6 on 300k pw make us look like a park side. Like I've said - maybe the premiership will become a better place to be if the big 6 all do one and go play in a Euro superleague with Bayern, Barca, PSG, Juve and co. At present it's not enjoyabe and match day tickets are ridiculously priced.

alfie

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on November 14, 2018, 10:18:24 AM
Quote from: colinwhite on November 14, 2018, 10:11:08 AM

Watching us getting battered 1-5 by Arsenal or one of the other big clubs is no pleasure - especially paying over 50 quid for the privelage. Going to the Cottage to support my side & see friends is the main aspect. Winning more games than you lose - not having a hideously uneven division are good things. Striving for promotion and even if you're 10th in March a playoff place is still on vs can we finish above 3 other less crap sides and isn't it so wonderful to see the over-privelaged stars of the big 6 on 300k pw make us look like a park side. Like I've said - maybe the premiership will become a better place to be if the big 6 all do one and go play in a Euro superleague with Bayern, Barca, PSG, Juve and co. At present it's not enjoyabe and match day tickets are ridiculously priced.
So back in the championship are you advocating deliberately losing matches to avoid promotion to Premiership.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Spirit of 2000

As I've said above (cut & paste below)
>>Yes I want to see FFC do well and enjoy us being the best we can be, but IMO that's probably going to be a sensibly run self sustaining club who are a very good championship level side and who will give it an honest shot and work hard when promoted with survival being a real achievement until such time as I allude to above - hopefully one day the money goes bang in English football or the "big boys" all sod off and play in their own euro super league & leave us alone to enjoy proper football.<<

colinwhite

This post seems to me to be all about you and what you want. So thats all fine isnt it.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: colinwhite on November 14, 2018, 10:32:20 AM
This post seems to me to be all about you and what you want. So thats all fine isnt it.
I didn't start the post - I'm justifying my stance constructively. Ultimately it's my choice to attend or not and after 40 odd years of attending, many ST's, I choose not to go so often now as £55-75 for a match ticket is ridiculous and I have better uses for that sort of money than watching us spanked by a so called big club, especially if a day to football now costs me and my other half around £200 with travel, tickets, drinks etc. You do as you choose as everyone will do, but I'm not alone in the "old brigade" who feel similarly.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Just thought I'd copy and paste my thoughts on this from another thread (I know the point about Slavisa is now redundant)

I don't think people understand just what the consequences of relegation would be. 2 things will be certain:

1. Slav will either leave or get sacked
2. The Riverside will not be redeveloped

Additionally, I suspect the following:

1. Khan would want to sell
2. All our best players would leave, including Cairney and R. Sessegnon
3. We would be in a relegation battle next season. It almost certainly wouldn't be a reversion to how we were last season, more like how we were when we were relegated last time.

So please can everyone stop this nonsense about wanting to get relegated. As much as you won't like it, the most valuable asset Fulham has right now is its Premier League status.