watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Claudio Ranieri is our new manager

Started by fulhamben, November 14, 2018, 09:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WokingFFC

Thanks Slav for all the memories and great times we have had under your leadership. You are a man of integrity and honesty and I wish you all the best for the future.

Ranieri appointment leaves me underwhelmed as surely if he was that good someone would have snapped him up before now?! However, he and the team will have my full support as ever. COYW

gezkc

I have to admit I'm disappointed that Joka's been given the boot. I think he had what takes to start getting results, and there were good signs during the Liverpool game. This has echoes of when Meulensteen was sacked after it looked like he was turning a corner following promising performances against Man Utd and Liverpool. I certainly hope the decision turns out better for us than that one did.

Saying that, I've nothing against Claudio Ranieri and think he could be a good fit for the club. I just hoped the Khans would have given Joka more time after what he's done for us.

Holders

Anyone know what CR's attitude is to using youngsters? I don't suppose he got chance at C*****a but maybe at Leicester?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: gezkc on November 14, 2018, 10:55:10 AM
I have to admit I'm disappointed that Joka's been given the boot. I think he had what takes to start getting results, and there were good signs during the Liverpool game. This has echoes of when Meulensteen was sacked after it looked like he was turning a corner following promising performances against Man Utd and Liverpool. I certainly hope the decision turns out better for us than that one did.

Saying that, I've nothing against Claudio Ranieri and think he could be a good fit for the club. I just hoped the Khans would have given Joka more time after what he's done for us.

My thoughts as well.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Burt

Will never forget Joka's achievements here, he made us a force to be reckoned with and our exceptional unbeaten run and success at Wembley last season will live long in the memory as a highlight of my decades of supporting this club.

The deed is done, so welcome to the club Claudio, and looking forward to our first ever premier league title next season  :dft011:

Fernhurst

Welcome Caludio, very best of luck to you and your team for the remainder of this season.

It must be troubling time for all Chairman in the bottom 6, wondering who is going to blink first and gobble up the best(and most experienced) managers out there with no contract currently.
If we had left this appointment to beyond the Southampton game we may well have been fishing in a smaller pool.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bigalffc

Slav will be forever in my Fulham Manager hero thoughts along with Tigana and Woy. I am glad that it is Ranieri rather than others we were linked with such as Pardew, Moyes and big Sam.
I'm looking forward to seeing a fresh, trained, fighting Fulham on the 24th.  049:gif :clap_hands:
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Lighthouse

By Ryan O Donovan

Slavisa Jokanovic was only told this morning over the phone that he had been relieved of his duties at Fulham.

Shahid Khan announced on Wednesday that Claudio Ranieri would be taking over the reins at Craven Cottage, signing a multi-year deal with Fulham after holding talks with both Khan and Tony Khan over the past week.

It comes with the side rock-bottom of the Premier League and winless in seven games, although Fulham's performance at Liverpool in the 2-0 defeat was far more encouraging than what we've seen in recent weeks.

Just over two weeks ago Khan publicly backed Jokanovic before the AFC Bournemouth match, where he slammed the 'sensational and fictional' headlines that stated he would be sacked if he lost to both the Cherries and Huddersfield Town

That in itself is unusual for a club to openly admit, but only on Monday, in a monthly meeting with the Fulham Supporters' Trust, Chief Executive Alistair Mackintosh told those present that the club remained supportive of Jokanovic and wanted him to be successful at Fulham.
He also stated that it was down to his coaching methods and leadership that the club were promoted to the Premier League and that they wanted him to be the man to steer them through this difficult run of form.

Going forward from here, Khan confirmed in his statement that Khan jnr will continue to oversee player recruitment and contract renewals and will work close with Ranieri on both fronts.

Fulham face Southampton at Craven Cottage after the international break in what is a crucial tie for both clubs, with a win for the Cottagers taking them level on points with the Saints.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 14, 2018, 11:58:18 AM
By Ryan O Donovan

Slavisa Jokanovic was only told this morning over the phone that he had been relieved of his duties at Fulham.

Shahid Khan announced on Wednesday that Claudio Ranieri would be taking over the reins at Craven Cottage, signing a multi-year deal with Fulham after holding talks with both Khan and Tony Khan over the past week.

It comes with the side rock-bottom of the Premier League and winless in seven games, although Fulham's performance at Liverpool in the 2-0 defeat was far more encouraging than what we've seen in recent weeks.

Just over two weeks ago Khan publicly backed Jokanovic before the AFC Bournemouth match, where he slammed the 'sensational and fictional' headlines that stated he would be sacked if he lost to both the Cherries and Huddersfield Town

That in itself is unusual for a club to openly admit, but only on Monday, in a monthly meeting with the Fulham Supporters' Trust, Chief Executive Alistair Mackintosh told those present that the club remained supportive of Jokanovic and wanted him to be successful at Fulham.
He also stated that it was down to his coaching methods and leadership that the club were promoted to the Premier League and that they wanted him to be the man to steer them through this difficult run of form.

Going forward from here, Khan confirmed in his statement that Khan jnr will continue to oversee player recruitment and contract renewals and will work close with Ranieri on both fronts.

Fulham face Southampton at Craven Cottage after the international break in what is a crucial tie for both clubs, with a win for the Cottagers taking them level on points with the Saints.
Forgive me for sounding a bit cynical, but I'm not entirely sure what O'Donovan is saying about the sacking is true. On Twitter he's been an outspoken Slav fan, and I can't help what he's been saying about the nature of Slav's sacking has been intended to incite Fulham fans to feel a sense of injustice, and thus hostility against Khan. I'm not saying it's fake news, I just have my suspicions.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on November 14, 2018, 12:01:48 PM
By Ryan O Donovan

Forgive me for sounding a bit cynical, but I'm not entirely sure what O'Donovan is saying about the sacking is true. On Twitter he's been an outspoken Slav fan, and I can't help what he's been saying about the nature of Slav's sacking has been intended to incite Fulham fans to feel a sense of injustice, and thus hostility against Khan. I'm not saying it's fake news, I just have my suspicions.

Except that the Khans did the same before they appointed the German after Rene and had  given Maulenstein(?) their backing. Must admit I didn't read it as you did but I take the point.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Moltobueno

It did seem at the Liverpool's game Slavisa was really passive and not into managing much...

There was J.Klopp - always pointing and talking to his players and there was S.Jokanovic - usually turning his back to the pitch every time the ball was out of play...

Time to adapt with Ranieri's style and start winning games  049:gif

twang

Only Parker, Cesarini and Harris remains as first team staff on the offal.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 14, 2018, 12:06:26 PM
Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on November 14, 2018, 12:01:48 PM
By Ryan O Donovan

Except that the Khans did the same before they appointed the German after Rene and had  given Maulenstein(?) their backing. Must admit I didn't read it as you did but I take the point.
It's the fact he's trying to peddle the story of him being sacked over the phone at the forefront, and only being told this morning that annoys me, and the fact he's saying 'well despite khan's statement the other week....'

IKnowNothing

Quote from: RaySmith on November 14, 2018, 09:28:12 AM
Very sad about this.
Agree. Modern management in the modern world. Lack of Patience. Slav has no reason to hold his head down. Good luck Claudio. We begin again just when things were starting to look up.

Delboy

Very sad news indeed. I suppose if we need to replace our Manager we couldn't have asked for much better than CR. But, is this a knee jerk reaction? Slav may well have pulled it round with his hard work and commitment we will never know. Good luck Slav, and many thanks for building a promotion winning team and giving us our winning day in the sun at Wembley.
Welcome Claudio, please bring some of that magic dust that you sprinkled on Leicester City.

ToodlesMcToot

Very sad to see Slav go, not only because I appreciate how he helped turn Fulham's fortunes but because of what he turned his playing squads into. I really believe that the Liverpool match was a harbinger of good things coming. Sadly, he didn't get his chance to make a true run at the PL......again.

Best of luck to him in his next endeavor.

Good luck to Claudio, our new man. May your successes with Fulham be many and swift in arriving.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Statto on November 14, 2018, 09:36:49 AM
Jokanovic was the 2nd best manager we've had this millennium IMO and one of the most highly regarded up-and-coming managers in Europe until a few months ago.

Agree with others that this could adversely affect our best player, Mitrovic as well.

I like Ranieri so I will give the Khans the benefit of the doubt for now but my strong opinion is they've acted too soon, and given their terrible record with interventions of this nature, this really is the last chance saloon for them.

If this doesn't work out Khan has to get out of this club and take his son and his stats with him, rather than put
us through the Mulensteen-Curbishley-Wilkins-Magath-Rigg-Kline-Gray-Symons multi-year circus.

I agree 100% with every word of this. The only thing I would add is that Mitro isn't just one of our best players, he's out ONLY TRUE STRIKER! If he reacts poorly to this we are stuffed!

Really sad to see Joka go. He has done amazing things for us and I will always remember our last two seasons in the Championship. I hadn't enjoyed watching Fulham as much since the Tigana years. Perhaps it's the right decision but it's still very, very sad to see it end like this.

Matt10

Did not expect this at all. I knew I was being naive a bit, but still, did not expect this so soon. I thought the Liverpool performance was something to build on. Maybe it still is from a player's perspective. However, I am intrigued by Ranieri as a whole. I remember reading this article: https://playerdevelopmentproject.com/ranieri-the-art-of-leadership/ and being inspired as a coach myself, and the bulleted points stick out:

- Know your players
- Adapt to your environment
- Show unwavering support, care and belief in your players
- Be subtle in your tactical adjustments
- Create a culture of autonomy
- Demonstrate self awareness, know your own strengths and weaknesses
- Work hard
- Enjoy the moment

I especially like the "be subtle in your tactical adjustments", so hopefully that means no changing to a back 3 mid-match when we're only down a goal.

Overall, it's a new page turned, and let's just see what happens. I am sure the players who were previously not considered by Joka now have a sense of hope, and motivation to show Ranieri they should be a starter. Probably the best time for any player, and that's really the most important item on the agenda for us right now. Even more excited for So'ton match.

Brawn

Ecstatic. For once the Khans have done everything I want - Slav gone, my first choice in, and no caretaker. The impact on Mitro has been mentioned but considering it's been 326 minutes in the league since we scored a goal it can hardly get any worse!

Also, how prophetic is it that an Arsenal fan (who is a part-time pundit) suggested 4-4-2 to me on Monday? He's absolutely right, having thought about it.

cookieg

Quote from: Fernhurst on November 14, 2018, 11:18:05 AM
Welcome Caludio, very best of luck to you and your team for the remainder of this season.

It must be troubling time for all Chairman in the bottom 6, wondering who is going to blink first and gobble up the best(and most experienced) managers out there with no contract currently.
If we had left this appointment to beyond the Southampton game we may well have been fishing in a smaller pool.

I think Khan had to act now - two weeks for CR to work with the squad and the January window to come for reinforcements. As you say other clubs might have been looking at CR and thinking they would move for him in the next few weeks.