News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Maybe some insight on how Ranieri will want us to play?

Started by Spirit of 2000, November 14, 2018, 12:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirit of 2000

Piece from his time at Leicester

Claudio Ranieri describes the tactical history behind Leicester City: 'We play at the speed of light'.

The Foxes' triumph in the Premier League is often compared to Atletico Madrid's remarkable campaign in the Champions League this year.

Some have drawn parallels between Ranieri and Colchoneros Coach Diego Simeone, but the Tinkerman was reluctant to touch that subject.

"It's not for me to judge these things, and as for Simeone, all I can say is that he plays like an Italian," Ranieri told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "You can talk about [Johann] Cruyff and [Arrigo] Sacchi, but the Italian style is not to be meddled with either.

"There is no such thing as a winning system. If a Coach feels like he is at comfort with one particular set-up, why change it? In Valencia, in the late 90s, they wanted me to play the tiki taka. It already existed back then.

"But I told the directors: 'You signed the wrong Coach, I don't like to keep the ball'. I was sure they'd kick me out. But they showed me trust, because my boys used to run like the wind.

"Of course, some wanted us to be like Rivaldo and [Luis] Figo's Barcelona, but I explained: 'We produce the same number of shots and crosses as they do, they can keep the ball for all I care'.

"Today, some complain that Leicester lose too many balls. But that's only natural, when your team plays at the speed of light. Spectators like us because we create many scoring chances.

"I give my strikers freedom to attack and cut across the lines, as long as we immediately return to a 4-4-2 as soon as the ball is lost. I always tell them: 'Remember that I am Italian, we must know how to defend before anything else'."

Ranieri was then asked to describe the tactical history behind his surprisingly successful team.

"Last year they played with three men at the back and I thought I'd gradually change that to a four-man defence.

"Then I watched the friendlies and I realised we were struggling against lower category teams, so I switched immediately.

"I wanted to hand the keys of the attack to our top scorer, [Leonardo] Ulloa, but since he was struggling to get into shape, I went with [Shinji] Okazaki and [Jamie] Vardy and told them: 'I want you to play like you're jet fighters'.

..FOF..

Over the top, just like an Italian.

Looking forward to the next match!

Jamie88

The one good thing about Ranieri is that he will always sort out a defence before anything else. That's how I believe any team should be assembled - if you haven't got a defence the rest of the team is almost redundant

Neil D

Well, a high-press 4-4-2 counter-attacking style will certainly be a contrast.  He believes that a solid defence is the key foundation for  success and we certainly need that.  I'm also looking forward to a more animated style of on-pitch management.  I can't see Seri fitting into his style of play - too languid, too ineffectual as a ball-winner. Regaining the ball is a key aspect of a high-press style and we are not well-endowed players of that ilk currently.  McDonald may feature more, ditto Mawson.

Matt10

Can't wait to see it. I've been wanting a high press for so long now. I hope that's the case. I believe Johansen will get his shot as well because he is aggressive and creative. Not to mention Kamara playing alongside Mitro would be interesting once Ranieri sees his blistering pace. The lineup threads will be interesting to read.

HV71

It will have to be Kamara as we are not blessed with anyone else with Vardy style speed and work ethic

RP24

If he wants a jet fighter up front what will that mean to Mitro as he isn't blessed with pace. Hopefully Ranieri can get the best out of Mitro as he clearly loves the club.

Steven Ageroad

Quote from: Jamie88 on November 14, 2018, 02:19:08 PM
The one good thing about Ranieri is that he will always sort out a defence before anything else. That's how I believe any team should be assembled - if you haven't got a defence the rest of the team is almost redundant

That's how the great Brian Clough built his successful teams. Build a good defence first, then concentrate on the attack.

@jolslover

STH H3

Neil D

Quote from: Yarden on November 14, 2018, 02:55:57 PM
Here is an article worth a read

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/04/30/how-claudio-ranieris-tactics-put-his-rivals-to-shame-at-leiceste/

Interesting indeed.  I just wonder if we have the kind of players remotely suited to Ranieri's 4-4-2 high press, rapid counter-attacking style.  Mitro has no pace to speak of.  And who do we have that can play Okazaki's role.  The only ideal fit is perhaps Rico whose distribution may match Schmeichel's.

Carborundum

I think there might be a bit of historical revisionism with respect to Ranieri at Leicester.  As I recall it was more along the lines of "Boss we managed to put together a good run at the end of last season playing a certain way.  Would you mind leaving us to it please?"

To his eternal credit his answer was affirmative.  Won't work here though. 

Sess up front anyone?

Twig

Quote from: Carborundum on November 14, 2018, 04:30:24 PM
I think there might be a bit of historical revisionism with respect to Ranieri at Leicester.  As I recall it was more along the lines of "Boss we managed to put together a good run at the end of last season playing a certain way.  Would you mind leaving us to it please?"

Sess up front anyone?

That's pretty much my memory too.

Nero

Quote from: Twig on November 14, 2018, 06:39:14 PM
Quote from: Carborundum on November 14, 2018, 04:30:24 PM

Sess up front anyone?

That's pretty much my memory too.

A bit like Bobby Robson at the World Cup