watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

In support of Anguissa

Started by Neutral Zone Ultra, November 14, 2018, 06:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neutral Zone Ultra

Now, I know many of us on here are not huge fans of Anguissa, and I understand why, given the fact he's been a disappointment so far, but hear me out.

My friend pointed out to me the other day that when he was at Marseille he played in a system that involved two defensive midfielders, one being him and the other being Luiz Gustavo, an experienced and proficient holding mid, and Brazilian national. When we played Liverpool on Sunday, where Chambers was playing alongside him in midfield, I thought he was a big improvement on before. Yes, it wasn't amazing but it was a noticable improvement. Would we be better suited, therefore, to playing a system involving 2 CDMs?

Jamie88

Sorry, I'm not seeing it. He looks clumsy every time he is on the ball. Kind of reminds me of Fofana in some ways in that most of his touches are so heavy that he continually looks like losing the ball. He also appears to be ineffective in the air and his passing is awful. And he doesn't look like he wants to give more than about 60%

A shame as I thought he was going to be incredible

KJS

I think we will see the true Anguissa under Ranieri

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: Jamie88 on November 14, 2018, 06:27:47 PM
Sorry, I'm not seeing it. He looks clumsy every time he is on the ball. Kind of reminds me of Fofana in some ways in that most of his touches are so heavy that he continually looks like losing the ball. He also appears to be ineffective in the air and his passing is awful. And he doesn't look like he wants to give more than about 60%

A shame as I thought he was going to be incredible
Understandable, however if you judged players like Cairney, Johansen and Ream based on the same games they've played in you'd think they were just as untalented and unbothered.

F(f)CUK

His first half against Liverpool was much improved, but he reverted to type in the second.

Neutral Zone Ultra

Quote from: F(f)CUK on November 14, 2018, 06:40:25 PM
His first half against Liverpool was much improved, but he reverted to type in the second.
True but the same applied to everyone, the whole team was much worse

@jolslover

Quote from: KJS on November 14, 2018, 06:37:25 PM

Agree. Here's hoping he turns into Kante!
STH H3

Twig

Hmm, that's what I'm afraid of.

simplyfulham

The sporting director over at Marseille didn't really want to lose him. He's come to the professional game quite late and has only really had two full seasons playing for a professional club and everything that entails with adapting your lifestyle to the game.

In development terms he's probably at a similar sort of stage as De La Torre or someone like that.

Yes he's very rough around the edges and tends to switch off too much during games, but he has a lot of natural ability there that could be brought out. I really don't think he was a player who was ever going to excel this year for us, but in 12 months time we might be looking at a very different player...

... at least I seriously hope so.  :doh:

Statto

So Tony Khan signed a player that didn't fit our one-DM system. What an idiot. Surely this is a perfect illustration of why it should have been him sacked today, not Slavisa.

I look forward to him signing 12 strikers in January and telling Ranieri to change our formation so we can play them all at one.

HV71

Quote from: Statto on November 14, 2018, 09:22:20 PM
So Tony Khan signed a player that didn't fit our one-DM system. What an idiot. Surely this is a perfect illustration of why it should have been him sacked today, not Slavisa.

I look forward to him signing 12 strikers in January and telling Ranieri to change our formation so we can play them all at one.

Tony the Builder ..
Khan he fix it ? No he Khant !!

davew

Quote from: @jolslover on November 14, 2018, 06:57:11 PM

Yeah me too, back in the Roots series!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Neutral Zone Ultra

I sort of agree that was a misjudgment by Tony (albeit not to the extreme extent you like to peddle), however I think that if we can play a 2 CDM system then it would see him come good (Like when many were getting hyped over a decent half against Liverpool, well that was (apparently) the system we played.)

davew

Now that sounds like a plan! Tony Khan out certainly before Joka, but only by an hour or 2!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

@jolslover

Disagree strongly with you and most of the forum on this no doubt. Before Tony Khan we were signing overpaid mercenaries looking for one last payday and players like Pringle and O'Hara. No doubt our fortunes have changed for the better since Tony Khan has taken over recruitment
STH H3

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: @jolslover on November 14, 2018, 06:57:11 PM

Kante runs enough for 2 people.   It would take Anguissa 2 years to build his endurance to that level.     He's not a great box to box, and I'd argue the team shouldn't need him to be.   

Statto

Quote from: @jolslover on November 14, 2018, 10:59:23 PM
No doubt our fortunes have changed for the better since Tony Khan has taken over recruitment

Let's be clear here: Before this summer, 60% of the money spent since Tony Khan took over had gone on Sigurdsson, Fonte, Kebano, Kamara and Jozabed, none of whom ever held down a place in our first XI.

Prior to that, Rigg had his cock-ups but at least they were cheap (Ohara and Pringle were free transfers) and balanced against deals of the century like Cairney (£3m), Fredericks (£250k) and Ream (£1m).

I know we all have our opinions but surely it's accepted that when Tony Khan spends money, he generally spends it absolutely terribly.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Statto on November 14, 2018, 11:48:33 PM
Quote from: @jolslover on November 14, 2018, 10:59:23 PM
No doubt our fortunes have changed for the better since Tony Khan has taken over recruitment

Let's be clear here: Before this summer, 60% of the money spent since Tony Khan took over had gone on Sigurdsson, Fonte, Kebano, Kamara and Jozabed, none of whom ever held down a place in our first XI.

Prior to that, Rigg had his cock-ups but at least they were cheap (Ohara and Pringle were free transfers) and balanced against deals of the century like Cairney (£3m), Fredericks (£250k) and Ream (£1m).

I know we all have our opinions but surely it's accepted that when Tony Khan spends money, he generally spends it absolutely terribly.

He does spend it poorly. because of all the reasons Statto has stated, and why did T Khan waste all that money on Anguissa a player not only rough round the edges, but couldn't trap a bag of cement, and has only been playing for a professional club for a couple of seasons, and the Chairmans son has wasted all that money on him, that really is bright.
It's because of T Khan more than anyone else at the club, that Fulham are in this position, he bought players with no heart and no spine, and dropped them in Slavisas lap, and Slavisa takes the fall.
But you reap what you sow.
Whether Claudio can rescue Fulham remains to be seen, but if anyone can out of all the Managers that we're available he can.
But I don't envy him having the Chairmans son who is a total amateur compared to him hanging round his neck like a discarded anchor undermining his attempts to bring certain players he will want in the Transfer Window, not what T Khans stats want.
Otherwise we will go down without touching the sides.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

JimmyBullardsBarber

Tony Khan selects the players to purchase? I'm not sure where this thought came from but it's a load of rubbish. For that matter, slagging off Khan seems dubious considering the investments he's made.

IKnowNothing

Quote from: Neutral Zone Ultra on November 14, 2018, 06:11:39 PM
Now, I know many of us on here are not huge fans of Anguissa, and I understand why, given the fact he's been a disappointment so far, but hear me out.

My friend pointed out to me the other day that when he was at Marseille he played in a system that involved two defensive midfielders, one being him and the other being Luiz Gustavo, an experienced and proficient holding mid, and Brazilian national. When we played Liverpool on Sunday, where Chambers was playing alongside him in midfield, I thought he was a big improvement on before. Yes, it wasn't amazing but it was a noticable improvement. Would we be better suited, therefore, to playing a system involving 2 CDMs?
Great post. I think that once he gets used to the tempo of the PL he's going to be a great player. Hope he's not going to be the one that we sell and turns out great in another team. Patience.