News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who is more responsible.. Slav or Tony Khan?

Started by Milo, November 15, 2018, 09:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is more responsible?

Slavisa's management
14 (17.3%)
Khan's recruitment
35 (43.2%)
Equally responsible
32 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Milo

Lots of discussion on the forum and in the press about whether Khan's recruitment is more to blame than Slavisa's management.

I realise it is multi factorial so many may be scratching their heads looking for a "combination of the two" option. However I would like to know who you think is MORE responsible.

Some thoughts to consider:

1. Slavisa's chop and change policy and not finding a settled team after 12 games. Was this because of recruitment, or could Slav have done better?
2. Khan not signing Premiership full backs that were so important to our shape.
3. When Stuart Gray left our defence got considerably worse. Was this related, and who should shoulder the blame for letting him go?
4. The morale and fight of the team was really lacking prior to the Liverpool game. Is this not a management issue?
5. As a forum, we were largely happy with recruitment going into the new season albeit with reservations around how late signings were made, certain positions not covered etc.

grandad

Neither really. Last season we had to recruit 6loan players due to FFP restrictions. On 1st July we had only 13 senior players. We were involved in the Playoffs so didn´t know what division we would be in. When we gained promotion we were 2 weeks behind other teams in recruitment. We had to then replace the loan players & strengthen the squad in a hurry. The blame falls on the FFP restrictions which in practice hit most clubs except the big money clubs who seem to be able to manipulate their finances.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Lighthouse

Not sure blame is fair. All the points you raise are true. We needed fullbacks, we needed a fit centre half. We needed defensive midfield players that could play without a friend. So recruiting was a problem.

Did we chop and change every game? Did the coach allow time for players to settle? Was the coach tactics and team confusing to the players? It certainly seems so.

So blame is harsh for both without having to mention why things didn't work out because of the other. However the only option to me was a new set of eyes as clearly we were getting worse. I blame both and neither.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Milo

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 15, 2018, 09:46:34 AM
Not sure blame is fair. All the points you raise are true. We needed fullbacks, we needed a fit centre half. We needed defensive midfield players that could play without a friend. So recruiting was a problem.

Did we chop and change every game? Did the coach allow time for players to settle? Was the coach tactics and team confusing to the players? It certainly seems so.

So blame is harsh for both without having to mention why things didn't work out because of the other. However the only option to me was a new set of eyes as clearly we were getting worse. I blame both and neither.

Have changed wording to say "more responsible".

I thought the rhetoric might be a bit strong.. but then I reminded myself someone has lost their job (and potentially their livelihood .. albeit unlikely these days given the money banded around) and therefore proportioning blame seems appropriate as the stakes are high.

SuffolkWhite

Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

toshes mate

Agree with Lighthouse that 'blame' is far too emotive a word where analysis of the faults of both the Club structure and the faulty (nobody is without them) human holders of every one of the posts concerned.  However, if you want to eliminate problems you first have to identify all of them and for me it is Tony Khan holding a position he is not fit for (he has no football brain, and only the beginnings of a football fan's brain).  If he had a senior football brain then the problem would be diminished   unless his father became embroiled, as in 'family matters' (which is what I believe Jokanovic's sacking was all about).  Did Jokanovic make mistakes?  Yes.  Did they, at times, cost FFC results?  Yes.  Were they sackable offences?  No.  Did Khan Snr make mistakes?  Yes.  Did they, at times, cost FFC results?  Yes.  Were they sackable offences?  Yes, (If he hadn't been owner since failed nepotism is outrageous and irresponsible).  Did Khan Jnr make mistakes?  Yes.  Did they, at times, cost FFC results.  Yes.  Were they sackable offences?  Yes (he inflated his worth to the football club and has been found out). 

Jokanovic is gone and nothing is ever going to change that and it still hurts me to believe FFC actually did such a stupid thing.

filham

I am not clear who controls our transfer system but I just cannot believe that the Coach doesn't have the last word.
Wish the club would make this clear to us fans.

Can you imagine a coach of Ranieri's standing taking on this tough job if he is unable to determine who his future players are going to be.

If Jocanovic agreed to the expensive summer signings then he has to take the full responsibility for the failure. If he had players of other peoples choice thrust upon him then he is only partly to blame.

toshes mate

I should add I have not voted since it is immaterial to the circumstances.  There is no democracy involved in management, only hierarchy, and, at times, nepotism.

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: grandad on November 15, 2018, 09:44:44 AM
Neither really. Last season we had to recruit 6loan players due to FFP restrictions. On 1st July we had only 13 senior players. We were involved in the Playoffs so didn´t know what division we would be in. When we gained promotion we were 2 weeks behind other teams in recruitment. We had to then replace the loan players & strengthen the squad in a hurry. The blame falls on the FFP restrictions which in practice hit most clubs except the big money clubs who seem to be able to manipulate their finances.

Very good points. FFP really favours the big clubs. Relying on loans seemed like our best chance for promotion.

But I can't understand why we have to rely on five loan players THIS season? This is NOT how other PL clubs operate. It smelled a bit like panic deals because our transfer team failed to recruit the players we really needed. It also means we will loose a minimum of 5 players next summer and potentially end up with another summer of desperate last minute transfers.

Statto

Tony Khan - 90%
- Signings too late (5 on deadline day is ridiculous)
- Too many new faces (eg Button, Kalas, Norwood could have been kept instead of Fabri, Fosu-Mensah)
- Too many foreign imports, requiring more time to adapt to our culture and league
- Signings not suited to our system (eg Anguissa needing a 2 DMs system)
- Overpaid for some players (again, Anguissa)
- Wrong balance of talent over mettle, too many luxury players (eg Schurrle, Seri)
- Injured signings (Mawson)
- Poor signings in some areas (eg full backs)
- Too many short-term signings again (Rico, Vietto, Chambers, Schurrle, Fosu-Mensah)
- Potentially not enough done to keep the coaching team (Gray, Escobar, Sambade Carreira)
- All this in the context of poorly-handled recruitment historically (Fonte, Sigurdsson, last-minute deal for Martin, etc.)

Jokanovic - 10%
- Perhaps could have integrated the new players quickler notwithstanding the issues above
- Perhaps could have settled on a formation/XI quicker, although he effectively had no pre-season   
- Did not seem to be getting 100% effort from some players

Milo

If we were to put this in a category of Khan or Jokanovic, where would it go?

It could be argued that Khan is in charge of his scouts who could've lined up players in advance for whatever scenario. For instance, who was our plan B Premiership left back if we didn't sign Target?

I Ronic

The only role currently, that can have a positive or negative effect on our current position. Is that of coach/manager. Responsibility or blame doesn't really come into it at this stage.
I don't believe the Chairman found this an easy decision to make. Slavisa is the first manager under the Chairman who steadied the ship, set it on the right course and got the Club promoted. It's not the ending any of us wanted and I for one am glad I don't have to make decisions like this.

RaySmith

Wasn't the lateness of the signings -who had an air of grabbing whoever  we could get in desperation with the start of the season fast approaching-  forced upon the Fulham transfer team by circumstances? IE of the short time since Wembley, with the WC in between, and the fact that it wasn't maybe that easy to get  Prem level players  to come to newly promoted Fulham.
But at the time most of us thought  we'd made some  great signings.

So not to blame anyone, but it's obviously been hard to integrate so many new players into a team, which itself  was new to the Prem.

HV71

Quote from: Statto on November 15, 2018, 10:24:59 AM
Tony Khan - 90%
- Too many new faces (eg Button, Kalas, Norwood could have been kept instead of Fabri, Fosu-Mensah)
- Too many foreign imports, requiring more time to adapt to our culture and league
- Wrong balance of talent over mettle, too many luxury players (eg Schurrle, Seri)
- Too many short-term signings again (Rico, Vietto, Chambers, Schurrle, Fosu-Mensah)
- Potentially not enough done to keep the coaching team (Gray, Escobar, Sambade Carreira)
- All this in the context of poorly-handled recruitment historically (Fonte, Sigurdsson, last-minute deal for Martin, etc.)

Jokanovic - 10%
- Perhaps could have integrated the new players quickler notwithstanding the issues above
- Perhaps could have settled on a formation/XI quicker, although he effectively had no pre-season   

Concur + 1

Milo

I've made the "equally responsible" and allowed people to change their vote.

This will encompass those who feel neither are to blame.

Hope this helps?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate on November 15, 2018, 10:02:00 AM
Agree with Lighthouse that 'blame' is far too emotive a word where analysis of the faults of both the Club structure and the faulty (nobody is without them) human holders of every one of the posts concerned.  However, if you want to eliminate problems you first have to identify all of them and for me it is Tony Khan holding a position he is not fit for (he has no football brain, and only the beginnings of a football fan's brain).  If he had a senior football brain then the problem would be diminished   unless his father became embroiled, as in 'family matters' (which is what I believe Jokanovic's sacking was all about).  Did Jokanovic make mistakes?  Yes.  Did they, at times, cost FFC results?  Yes.  Were they sackable offences?  No.  Did Khan Snr make mistakes?  Yes.  Did they, at times, cost FFC results?  Yes.  Were they sackable offences?  Yes, (If he hadn't been owner since failed nepotism is outrageous and irresponsible).  Did Khan Jnr make mistakes?  Yes.  Did they, at times, cost FFC results.  Yes.  Were they sackable offences?  Yes (he inflated his worth to the football club and has been found out). 

Jokanovic is gone and nothing is ever going to change that and it still hurts me to believe FFC actually did such a stupid thing.

I Agree with you
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Statto on November 15, 2018, 10:24:59 AM
Tony Khan - 90%

Jokanovic - 10%

Agree 100%,
Most of the problems initiated and developed from Tony Khans recruitment policy, which was dumped in Slavisas lap.
TK is a complete amateur in a sport he has no understanding of. He should have been sacked ages ago, he even was responsible for bringing in his best mate Craig Kline, who was everyone's nightmare, and TK continued to look the other way, whilst Kline attempted to run roughshod over everyone.
That in itself tells you more about the Chairmans son, than it does about Kline, who came from the same training school of how not to have humility as Felix Wolfgang Magath.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

One point Grandad. I sat at the FST meeting prior to the playoff final at which the club's MD assserted unequivocally that he had two clear recruitment strategies depending on whether we won or lost. So that cannot be used as any sort of excuse for our late transfer dealings.

Twig

Personally I think we should be moving on from the blame game. I am very sad to see SJ leave but it has happened. Time to move on.

HV71

Quote from: Milo on November 15, 2018, 10:44:02 AM
I've made the "equally responsible" and allowed people to change their vote.

This will encompass those who feel neither are to blame.

Hope this helps?o

A positive move to try and help the debate Milo and thank you

For the man who made the final decision though ,to have ever used this option in his thinking, would have had to have adopted Slav and made him a member of the family