more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

"folklore" games

Started by WhiteJC, November 15, 2018, 01:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Hi Guys

I've been contacted by Phil Worsfold who is researching club "folklore" games.
The games that may have gone under the radar but mean a lot to a clubs fans.
Would you be able to give a few examples that particularily stand out for a Fulham fan?
Any examples would be most appreciated, just the game and date is enough as Phill will do the rest of the research.

Spirit of 2000

23/10/91 - Maidstone Utd 2 Fulham 6 - League Trophy prelim round.

Travelled to Kent with a 2 or 3 hundred other FFC fans for a very bizarre Micky mouse cup game. Surreal atmosphere due to lack of crown (less than a thousand present) and an amazing game as the scoreline suggests. FFC running out 6-2 winners with a Brazil hatrick, brace from Haag and Martin Pike strike with 5 of the 6 goals being assisted by a certain Andy Cole!

Lighthouse

25/09/1976 Fulham 4 v 1 Hereford Best Marsh circus act.

18/05/1982  Fulham 1 v 1 Lincoln.  Match played after postponement from earlier in the season turns out to be promotion if Lincoln win or Fulham with any other result.

16/09/1969 Halifax 0 v 8 Fulham.

20/11/1976  Fulham 1 v 5 Notts County

17/09/1977 Fulham 5 v 1 Notts County  One season reversal.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Holders

Ipswich 10-1; Derby THAT year.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

SuffolkWhite

Portsmouth 4-4 Fulham – 1st January 1985

Never been to a game as cold as this one, even Basel away wasn't this cold.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Camel Club

23/01/1982 Brentford 0 Fulham 1

My first promotion season as a Fulham supporter and there was a real belief after this game that we would actually do it. Peter O'Sullivan scored the goal in the second half and the away end went absolutely mental. I ended up about 50 yards away from my Dad as a result and it took me at least 5 minutes to find him again. Great memories. The following week Ivor scored his goal from the corner flag at home to Chesterfield.

28/02/1987 Fulham 2 Walsall 2

I think it was that day that I realised it wasn't just me that had so much invested in Fulham emotionally. So many people cared and the support from the Walsall supporters was deeply moving. I still look out for their results now.

If it wasn't for the show of support that day galvanised by Jimmy Hill, to whom we are all indebted, the property developers would have got their way. If it wasn't for that day the promotion season of 1996-1997 wouldn't have happened and Mohammed Al Fayed wouldn't have seen the potential in purchasing Fulham. And if Fulham supporters had not demonstrated to the world that day just how much they cared there would have been no march to the Premier League, no 'Great Escape', no Europa League final, no sale of the club to a man even richer than MAF, no White Wall, no win at Wembley and no return to the Premier League.

Dixie

The first one that sprung to mind for me was Brentford 4 - 0 Fulham in April 1992 (a game which Brentford fans have voted as their greatest ever!)
I distinctly remember Fulham fans singing 'We're the worst team in London!' and spending most of the second half singing silly songs. It really was a carnival atmosphere considering we were getting absolutely battered! Great fun.
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

LittleErn

Fulham 4 Newcastle 5 - FA cup 1956. We came back from 0-3 to lead 4-3 (Tosh scored a hat trick) only to be foiled by two goals scored by Vic Keeble terrorising our goalie in a way that would not be allowed now.

LittleErn

Northampton 2 Fulham 4 - kept us up in 1966. the only time I've ever run on the pitch to celebrate!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: LittleErn on November 15, 2018, 03:52:33 PM
Northampton 2 Fulham 4 - kept us up in 1966. the only time I've ever run on the pitch to celebrate!

Same here, what a day that was at the Cobblers Ground.
Correct me if I am wrong as the memory does fade, but did their ground only have 3 sides to it at the time.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

KJS

My first match  049:gif

Stevieboy

My first game...home to Manure    2-2    47,000+ attendance (1967)

v Hereford  4-1

v Juvenutus. 4-1 .....of course!

v Villa 1-0  @Wembley......not so long ago !!!

sunburywhite

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 15, 2018, 04:08:33 PM

Same here, what a day that was at the Cobblers Ground.
Correct me if I am wrong as the memory does fade, but did their ground only have 3 sides to it at the time.

I think I was there as well

Was that the one that (if my memory is correct) Haynes put Stevie Earle through from the half way line?

Yes it had three side because one side was the cricket ground
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on November 15, 2018, 01:17:02 PM
23/10/91 - Maidstone Utd 2 Fulham 6 - League Trophy prelim round.

Travelled to Kent with a 2 or 3 hundred other FFC fans for a very bizarre Micky mouse cup game. Surreal atmosphere due to lack of crown (less than a thousand present) and an amazing game as the scoreline suggests. FFC running out 6-2 winners with a Brazil hatrick, brace from Haag and Martin Pike strike with 5 of the 6 goals being assisted by a certain Andy Cole!

More Fulham than that, there was hardly any Maidstone fans there

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on November 15, 2018, 01:41:37 PM
Portsmouth 4-4 Fulham – 1st January 1985

Never been to a game as cold as this one, even Basel away wasn't this cold.

Didnt think it was that cold to be honest mate, the wind however was unbelievable

The Enclosurite

12/11/1994 Ashford Town 2-2 Fulham (FA Cup 1st Round) - Ankle deep in mud - The game that started the Micky Adams legend - the rest is history.
¡COYW!

Neutral Zone Ultra

As a young fan my contribution would have to be the 3-3 FA Cup 3rd round replay in the snow against Wolves away in 2015, which we won on penalties. McCormack last minute of extra time equaliser too.

copthornemike

Interesting topic
Not an 'under the radar' game but the 'stand up if you believe'  period during the Fulham v Hamburg game when we were behind was something truly special!
Still gives me a shiver when I recall it.

ron

Fulham 2 Liverpool 0 1966....because it was the start of a great escape in that season......and...

Fulham 4 Spurs 1 Feb 1965.....Spurs riding high, 0-0 at half time.

They must have been half decent games because they've kept a place in my memory for over 50 years.... 082.gif

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ron on November 16, 2018, 01:12:11 PM
Fulham 2 Liverpool 0 1966....because it was the start of a great escape in that season......and...

Fulham 4 Spurs 1 Feb 1965.....Spurs riding high, 0-0 at half time.

They must have been half decent games because they've kept a place in my memory for over 50 years.... 082.gif

Was the 2 0 Liverpool win, the game where Ian St John got sent off for decking  Mark Pancho Pearson ?
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.