watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

"folklore" games

Started by WhiteJC, November 15, 2018, 01:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russianrob

Fulham1-0Aston Villa.I was 59 a week ago and 26th May 2018 was the happiest day of my life.SURREAL!!

RaySmith

I remember our first game under our new floodlights, paid for by the Supporters' Club, after the club spent big on resigning bobby Robson, when we were the only team in the old First Divsion not to have them, and Saturday games kicked off at  2.15 and midwek games at 6.15- obviously couldn't play midweek in midwinter.

19th September, 1962 was the date, and Stan Brown scored first, followed by a Maurice Cook hattrick, to win 4-1.

I had a big fight with a mate  from school I'd gone with, before the game (no stewards in those days) - he tried to push me out of my usual position on the halfway line on the Riverside terracing, is another reason why the game sticks in my memory so vividly..

Dixie

How about the win up at Newcastle - i think it was 2004 when they had about 30 shots on target and still lost 4-1 (we had 4 shots on target including a pen)
Crossley saved at least one with his face!
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

ron

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 16, 2018, 01:19:12 PM
Quote from: ron on November 16, 2018, 01:12:11 PM
Fulham 2 Liverpool 0 1966....because it was the start of a great escape in that season......and...

Fulham 4 Spurs 1 Feb 1965.....Spurs riding high, 0-0 at half time.

They must have been half decent games because they've kept a place in my memory for over 50 years.... 082.gif

Was the 2 0 Liverpool win, the game where Ian St John got sent off for decking  Mark Pancho Pearson ?

It sure was. St John was always a good loser....

Stevie Earle helped one of the goals in with his hand. This also failed to amuse Ron Yeats.....

RaySmith

Great to stick it to one of the big boys - yes, it was the start of the Great Escape by Fulham - we went on a winning run, after being relegation certs all season, keeping narrowly losing home games.

This remined me of another time we really wound up a so called top club -Man u in 2009, 2-0 to Fulham, with Scholes and Rooney sent off, what a  great day that was.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: RaySmith on November 17, 2018, 05:10:11 PM
Great to stick it to one of the big boys - yes, it was the start of the Great Escape by Fulham - we went on a winning run, after being relegation certs all season, keeping narrowly losing home games.

This remined me of another time we really wound up a so called top club -Man u in 2009, 2-0 to Fulham, with Scholes and Rooney sent off, what a  great day that was.

Music to my ears
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: LittleErn on November 15, 2018, 03:49:21 PM
Fulham 4 Newcastle 5 - FA cup 1956. We came back from 0-3 to lead 4-3 (Tosh scored a hat trick) only to be foiled by two goals scored by Vic Keeble terrorising our goalie in a way that would not be allowed now
Fulham 2 Liverpool 0 1966....because it was the start of a great escape in that season......and...

They must have been half decent games because they've kept a place in my memory for over 50 years.... 082.gif

Was the 2 0 Liverpool win, the game where Ian St John got sent off for decking  Mark Pancho Pearson ?
Fulham 4 Newcastle 5 - FA cup 1956. We came back from 0-3 to lead 4-3 (Tosh scored a hat trick) only to be foiled by two goals scored by Vic Keeble terrorising our goalie in a way that would not be allowed now.

[/quote
Fulham 4 Newcastle 5 - FA cup 1956. We came back from 0-3 to lead 4-3 (Tosh scored a hat trick) only to be foiled by two goals scored by Vic Keeble terrorising our goalie in a way that would not be allowed now.

This match has been well documented over the years and for a lot of us older fans has to go down as the best match we have ever seen.
It is necessary to explain how important the FA cup was in those days and what a great team Newcaste were, they were the Cup Holders, played in the top division and had several top class players in their team. We were in the 2nd division.

thebumponleroyshead

Stockport County 2 Fulham 4. Eckhardt rose like a salmon, Brazil scored one too. They were  at the top of the league with the 6'7 Kevin Francis up top. Udo Onwere jumped in the away end after the fourth, I got bundled at the front of the terrace and when I came to my dad had a muddy face, I questioned it obviously, and he replied I snogged Udo's head! Great memory would have been 92-93 if memory serves.
Oh You Lucky People We're the Best Team in The Land

Burt

Most memorable "under the radar" ones for me:

Derby 1-0 Fulham
(82/83 season)
Game abandoned due to crowd trouble and never replayed, largely seen as the match that cost us promotion to the top tier. Horrible day.

Pompey 4-4 Fulham
(84/85 season)
Pulled back a four-goal deficit.

Carlisle 1-2 Fulham
(96/97 season)
Who put the ball in the Carlisle net?

Fulham 3-2 Spurs
(02/03 season)
We were two down at half-time, Spurs top of the league, and we absolutely battered them in the second half. Leggie's last gasp winner will live long in the memory.

MarryatsChild

I also remember that Liverpool game and Pancho turning his face towards us lot and giving a theatrical wink after selling the supposed punch to his jaw successfully to the Ref.

Ah, Happy Days

Burt

Quote from: MarryatsChild on November 17, 2018, 07:22:28 PM

I also remember that Liverpool game and Pancho turning his face towards us lot and giving a theatrical wink after selling the supposed punch to his jaw successfully to the Ref.

Ah, Happy Days

T'was a bit theatrical. And here's the proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeUNBr6WvYw#

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on November 15, 2018, 01:17:02 PM
23/10/91 - Maidstone Utd 2 Fulham 6 - League Trophy prelim round.

Travelled to Kent with a 2 or 3 hundred other FFC fans for a very bizarre Micky mouse cup game. Surreal atmosphere due to lack of crown (less than a thousand present) and an amazing game as the scoreline suggests. FFC running out 6-2 winners with a Brazil hatrick, brace from Haag and Martin Pike strike with 5 of the 6 goals being assisted by a certain Andy Cole!
I was there Maidstone were sharing Dartford's old ground at Watling Street at the time.

Jims Dentist

The Carlistle game when we all but clinched promotion under Adams.
Although more for the fantastic train journey back to London.
Those there will know what I mean!😊

F(f)CUK

Who put the ball in the Carlisle net? Rodney McAree.

Also Blackburn 1 Fulham 2. Souness probably still thinks that they were the better team that year.  064.gif Sean Davis dancing

ffc73

Cambridge in the sunshine with the 3/4 of the ground Fulham supporters.  Although Wigan's win meant we finished runners up (chin chin Fulhamish & goal's scored malarky), at the time it was the best feeling in the world.  Felt it could not get better than that.  Then along came Mr Fayad.