watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ranieri - What to expect

Started by BDP1884, November 15, 2018, 07:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDP1884

Leicester fan here. Just thought I'd give a little insight on what to expect from Ranieri. Obviously we all know about his season at Leicester and how incredible it was. First and foremost I think he'll keep you up. He often gets off to a very good start when he comes into a club and his record shows that and I think he'll also get you playing more direct and getting more balls into the box for Mitrovic. He's a manager who priorities no conceding over scoring goals. Arguably his best move at Leicester was reverting to more defensive full-backs in Simpson and Fuchs. However, he is certainly not a long-term option. He hasn't had two full seasons at any club since Chelsea which was nearly 15 years ago. His second season at Leicester seems to have been conveniently forgotten about. The last three or four months at Leicester were absolute chaos. He was changing formation and personal drastically every week and the players looked like they had no idea what their jobs were. We all know that he has a very endearing personality and it's impossible not to love him. When things are going well for your his press conferences are absolute gold an at that point he's the best manager in the world. When things aren't going for you, his jovial manner becomes quite concerning. Overall a good short-term appointment without resorting to likes of Allardyce, Moyes, Pulis etc. but don't be surprised if you find yourself looking for a new manager this time next season.

bigalffc

Thanks for this BDP. His second season sounds exactly like Slav's this season.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

@jolslover

STH H3

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: BDP1884 on November 15, 2018, 07:53:10 PM
Overall a good short-term appointment without resorting to likes of Allardyce, Moyes, Pulis etc. but don't be surprised if you find yourself looking for a new manager this time next season.

Thanks.   Already expecting this.   It's why the Slav firing was so infuriating.   Short term solution to make $$$.

I do like Claudio though, even if it's short term.

What will be Fulham's identity moving forward though?

The Rock

I had read CR hadn't gotten the kinds of players/investment he wanted in your season after winning the title? Either way, when you win the title, you've sort have done it all.

I think SJ and CR may have something in common, post-success hangover. After promotion it's just been massive and so much, maybe too much. Do you think this happened to you?

Respond if able, truly interested...

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: The Rock on November 16, 2018, 12:06:41 AM
I had read CR hadn't gotten the kinds of players/investment he wanted in your season after winning the title? Either way, when you win the title, you've sort have done it all.

I think SJ and CR may have something in common, post-success hangover. After promotion it's just been massive and so much, maybe too much. Do you think this happened to you?

I'll chime in on what I think one of the problems was.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

I didn't follow Leicester a lot during that time...but I know squad depth is hugely important when you're trying to stay competitive in the EPL, and at the same time you're having to compete with the best teams in the world in the Champions League.

Plus, they lost Kante to Chelsea after their championship season...Chelsea went on to win the league btw.

It was going to be tough for Leicester to come close to repeating their success.

BDP1884

Quote from: The Rock on November 16, 2018, 12:06:41 AM

The honest answer is I don't know. The recruitment that summer was truly shambolic though. Only Nampalys Mendy is still at the club out of the six signings made. The signings that we were making seemed completely out of character with the pragmatic approach of previous seasons.

I do believe that the players didn't have the same hunger that they had in the title winning season as well as the previous seasons under Nigel Pearson. The way we played at that time, everyone had to be pulling in the same direction in order for it to work and it seemed that wasn't the case.

Statto

It does smack of short-termism from our owners. FWIW I think Ranieri will be a fantastic manager for us and a gentlemen as well, fitting right into our club. But at his age and with his record, he may not want to stay for long and has likely already reached the peak of his managerial career.

In Jokanovic we had a chance to develop our own Eddie Howe, and it's a shame to lose then after a run of 5/6 poor performances.

Nonetheless welcome Claudio.

Holders

Thank you for the interesting insight.

If he keeps us up, it won't matter if we have to change for a younger up and coming manager next season.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

toshes mate

Not to worry.  According to the 'hype' from our owner Ranieri will be working (very) closely with TK.  Hopefully Ranieri will not be quite as phlegmatic as SJ when his request for TK to buy a rose is translated into a turnip.  Perhaps if there is anything left of TK after that he'll not half listen ever again especially when the next replacement coach arrives.

Still believe our owners have let us down terribly (which is not a criticism of Ranieri), and I have now concluded they just cannot help themselves.

MJG

Quote from: Statto on November 16, 2018, 08:43:30 AM

and it's a shame to lose then after a run of 5/6 poor performances.

A manager just cannot survive with 6 league and 1 cup losses in a row and performace wise one of the worst being a week before getting the sack. I wish there had been another option ,of which there was only one in my book, he signs contract and agrees to stay even if we went down.
Just the views of a long term fan

Snibbo

Quote from: bigalffc on November 15, 2018, 07:58:07 PM
Thanks for this BDP. His second season sounds exactly like Slav's this season.

My thoughts exactly.  Slav also doesn't have a record of staying anywhere very long so I think it's unlikely,  had he been successful,  that he would have stayed for long.  Remember not long ago he was being mentioned as a candidate for the Ch*ki job. The facts that his family are still in Spain and that he's not learned much English reinforce this in my mind

MJG

Quote from: Snibbo on November 16, 2018, 09:37:09 AM
that he's not learned much English reinforce this in my mind
A big part of his undoing in the end.

I Ronic

If Slavisa was unhappy about who was brought and when, he could of walked before the season even started. He threatened to before. The fact he didn't must in some way imply he was ok with the choices.

DevonFFC

It does smack of short-termism from our owners. FWIW I think Ranieri will be a fantastic manager for us and a gentlemen as well, fitting right into our club. But at his age and with his record, he may not want to stay for long and has likely already reached the peak of his managerial career.

In Jokanovic we had a chance to develop our own Eddie Howe, and it's a shame to lose then after a run of 5/6 poor performances.

We have not performed well all season, Burnley was a blip in our form.

I would take short term success any day over relegation

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on November 16, 2018, 09:34:34 AM

A manager just cannot survive with 6 league and 1 cup losses in a row and performace wise one of the worst being a week before getting the sack. I wish there had been another option ,of which there was only one in my book, he signs contract and agrees to stay even if we went down.
A manager survives if the owner wishes him to.  Sometimes you play the Devil's advocate and sometimes you do not.  The Khans have played their hand; now they wait to see whether their gamble pays off.  They were not forced into action; they determined it to be necessary. 

Fulhamight

Wii be be a good mentor for Scott Parker and if we can stay up, then after a season or two, he may be worth considering?

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on November 16, 2018, 09:44:30 AM
Quote from: MJG on November 16, 2018, 09:34:34 AM

A manager survives if the owner wishes him to.  Sometimes you play the Devil's advocate and sometimes you do not.  The Khans have played their hand; now they wait to see whether their gamble pays off.  They were not forced into action; they determined it to be necessary.
of course thats true, but I think it would be very hard to find managers who have lost that many games in a row and still had a job. Like it or not its a results industry and we were not getting any real performaces let alone results.
Jol lost 5 in a row twice, argubly he should have been sacked following the first run. You lose that many you need to first review who they were against and then performaces and other circumstances.
I'm gutted for Joka and for us as well. There were various reasons fro whats gone on this season and neither the Khans or Joka get away with any blame. But it does go back for me to him not signing a contract when there was one to sign(He wanted release clauses apprently the club didnt like) and looking like he would stick it out come what may.

Statto

Quote from: DevonFFC on November 16, 2018, 09:42:24 AM

We have not performed well all season, Burnley was a blip in our form.

I would take short term success any day over relegation

Really?

First 6 games was a win at Burnley, draws at Watford and Brighton, losses to Palace, Spurs and Man City. Not sure anyone would have expected much better overall, except perhaps the Palace loss. I was at the home games and all those performances were respectable, as were Brighton and Spurs away. Man City obviously a write-off.   

The poor run was Everton through Huddersfield.