watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our new style of football

Started by The Swan, November 16, 2018, 09:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

The biggest thrill in any match is seeing the ball hit the back of the opponents net and the worse moments are when the opponent scores. Room for improvement on what we have suffered so far this season.

The Rock

Quote from: toshes mate on November 17, 2018, 09:59:06 AM
The references to Hodgson are perhaps a little overstated under current recruitment policy.  He brought in players aged 30, Duff and Murphy for example.  As I have already said much depends on whether or not the recruitment team functions as a support unit to Ranieri and not as dictator.  We will never know how well that may have worked for Jokanovic.

+1

I wonder if a prerequisite to Ranieri coming was that he demanded more say about the players being brought in? Doesn't sound like it.

I Ronic

The references to Hodgson are perhaps a little overstated under current recruitment policy.  He brought in players aged 30, Duff and Murphy for example.  As I have already said much depends on whether or not the recruitment team functions as a support unit to Ranieri and not as dictator.  We will never know how well that may have worked for Jokanovic.

The Chairman's aim from the very begining was to make the Club sustainable. Also as everybody has pointed out this time round everything's faster and stronger. Buying older players doesnt make sense in the current climate and would just be a stop gap measure. Maybe Roy would have preferred younger but the funds weren't there. We didn't add much to the squad after the Europa run. Duff and Murphy did work well for us but there were a few that didn't.

RaySmith

Relegation would be disastrous for the club, so if we can  become defensively more solid, and start putting points on the board, I don't think most fans will worry too much how we do it.

Can we play worse that we have been, after our initial good start anyway?- when we failed to turn our good play into points, and became increasingly shambolic and disorganised, until Liverpool marked some improvement, but we still lost.

toshes mate

Quote from: I Ronic on November 17, 2018, 12:43:28 PM

The Chairman's aim from the very begining was to make the Club sustainable. Also as everybody has pointed out this time round everything's faster and stronger. Buying older players doesnt make sense in the current climate and would just be a stop gap measure. Maybe Roy would have preferred younger but the funds weren't there. We didn't add much to the squad after the Europa run. Duff and Murphy did work well for us but there were a few that didn't.
And so you do not believe that Ranieri is just a stop gap measure?  Sustainability is dependent on a whole host of factors but largely upon media money.  Liam Rosenior made the point that the scatter gun transfer routine was £100m, the equivalent to the improvement in TV money, but was panicky as if there was a need to show the Club was 'ambitious' by spending money rather than looking for 'value' in football terms.   Is Schurrle value in football terms?  Is Anguissa value in football terms?  Is Seri value in football terms?  Mitrovic was value, as would have been the retention of Fredericks and Targett (to name just two) but thus far we have lots of question marks about the others, apart from Bryan and his unfortunate hamstring injury which we all know can just happen.  Mawson looked better against Liverpool but still not classy enough - is that just game time?  Chambers looked better against Liverpool in CMD and certainly played as if he knew the PL like the back of his hand (for the first time in a Fulham shirt).  Ranieri has a chance to build upon the improvement against Liverpool and I don't think we will see much change against Southampton unless injuries etc. intervene.  What I do think will change is the risk taking which will be reduced slowly but surely over the coming weeks, and that may make for fewer goals against but not a lot happening at the other end either.   Will Mitro become very frustrated and how will Ranieri deal with that?

I don't think the Khans have made a wise move at all, but it is done.  Panic can lead to chances to salvage something out of the wreckage and I hope that happens.  But I fear the worse too.

I Ronic

Quote from: toshes mate on November 17, 2018, 01:05:57 PM
Quote from: I Ronic on November 17, 2018, 12:43:28 PM

And so you do not believe that Ranieri is just a stop gap measure?  Sustainability is dependent on a whole host of factors but largely upon media money.  Liam Rosenior made the point that the scatter gun transfer routine was £100m, the equivalent to the improvement in TV money, but was panicky as if there was a need to show the Club was 'ambitious' by spending money rather than looking for 'value' in football terms.   Is Schurrle value in football terms?  Is Anguissa value in football terms?  Is Seri value in football terms?  Mitrovic was value, as would have been the retention of Fredericks and Targett (to name just two) but thus far we have lots of question marks about the others, apart from Bryan and his unfortunate hamstring injury which we all know can just happen.  Mawson looked better against Liverpool but still not classy enough - is that just game time?  Chambers looked better against Liverpool in CMD and certainly played as if he knew the PL like the back of his hand (for the first time in a Fulham shirt).  Ranieri has a chance to build upon the improvement against Liverpool and I don't think we will see much change against Southampton unless injuries etc. intervene.  What I do think will change is the risk taking which will be reduced slowly but surely over the coming weeks, and that may make for fewer goals against but not a lot happening at the other end either.   Will Mitro become very frustrated and how will Ranieri deal with that?

I don't think the Khans have made a wise move at all, but it is done.  Panic can lead to chances to salvage something out of the wreckage and I hope that happens.  But I fear the worse too.

No I don't believe Ranieri is a stop gap. As much as Slavisa wasn't a stop gap when he was appointed. To be fair neither seem to stay anywhere that long. The appointment of Parker may in time prove significannt though. Having so many  loans last season, meant we needed more players this season and as the rules are different in the Premiership the Club had to spend money. Now loaning players from a higher league to get you promoted saves a bundle of cash if it doesnt happen but given our current position was this wise. I dont know but I'd trust the Club to have looked closely at the pros and cons of such a system. I won't disagree on your points as you're right we don't know if current players brought under the tick box system will add value. Although as regards Targett and Fredricks, I do think the Club tried as hard as it could of done to keep both players. It's still early days and whatever the standpoint we take to make our arguments, I think we all agree all we want is what's best for the Club and its supporters.

Neil D

I suppose our new style of football will be more huff and puff, maybe more route one, more energetic in recovering lost possession, less languid, less crab-like, less time endlessly shifting the ball from one side to the other in the middle third. 

I have to say that I was increasingly turning up for matches with a sense of dread, unable to see when or why a turnaround in our fortunes would come.  At last I have a reason for a degree of optimism against Southampton. 

Camel Club

I believe Ranieri will keep things relatively simple. He'll play 4 at the back, 2 defensive midfielders (If available he might look to loan or buy Drinkwater in January) and whether he goes 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 his players will know he expects them all to defend for the team. 

We'll still be playing attractive football and TC may even prove to be Claudio's Riyad Mahrez.

MJG

just to point out Roy did not sign Murphy
Just the views of a long term fan

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on November 18, 2018, 11:46:04 AM
My bad, but Mark Schwarzer for example.....

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on November 18, 2018, 12:50:10 PM
Quote from: MJG on November 18, 2018, 11:46:04 AM
My bad, but Mark Schwarzer for example.....
and of course we signed a 30 year old keeper this summer.
Just the views of a long term fan

Lighthouse

Yes I shall miss the free flowing skill of watching players walk through our defence. Watching the ball hit the back of our net as frequently as Brexit gloom hits the news. Listening to experts tell me it will all get better. We just need a bit more time. Watch as the defenders look at each other and say 'sorry we haven't met before'. The delight of seeing our lonely forward compete with three defenders.

Yes with luck we may keep that style of football that we have seen for much of the season. But then again we may have to put up with any improvement. Which of course would have happened anyway. If only we just had a bit more time.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Nero

think it will be a quick counter style, get it to mitro, hold it, lay it off get on the end of the cross

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 18, 2018, 02:54:55 PM
Yes I shall miss the free flowing skill of watching players walk through our defence. Watching the ball hit the back of our net as frequently as Brexit gloom hits the news. Listening to experts tell me it will all get better. We just need a bit more time. Watch as the defenders look at each other and say 'sorry we haven't met before'. The delight of seeing our lonely forward compete with three defenders.

Yes with luck we may keep that style of football that we have seen for much of the season. But then again we may have to put up with any improvement. Which of course would have happened anyway. If only we just had a bit more time.
Well said Lighthouse.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 16, 2018, 11:52:16 PM
The players will have to change their mentality very quickly, and realise this will be no holiday camp.
The players contributed to getting us in this mess, not all of them, but a large percentage of them.
Claudio has no doubt been given his orders as to why he has been brought on board his pirate ship, he knows he is expected to deliver, and he will leave no stone unturned, and who can blame him. 
His remit is to prevent Fulham going back down whatever it takes.
So let's let him get on with the job his way, and hope he and the players can do what's needed, and without any interference from amateurs like the Chairmans son, who was the one person who should have been dismissed, not Slavisa.
Quite right Woolly.
I like the right like pirates analogy from CR.
Perhaps the club should give out Jolly Roger flags for home games, they would be the right colours!

Robbie

Ranieri generally plays 4-4-2. Compact and solid.
One of the big issues is who has alongside Mitro.  I can't see it being Shirley?

RaySmith

Quote from: Robbie on November 18, 2018, 06:48:56 PM
Ranieri generally plays 4-4-2. Compact and solid.
One of the big issues is who has alongside Mitro.  I can't see it being Shirley?

Well Schurrle can score.

Twig

Well, if we can bring in another Duffers or a Bjarne G. I for one would be a very happy man and would not care two hoots of they were 30.