watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Scudamore's bonus

Started by bog, November 18, 2018, 02:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Morning all. I know this is past its day but this £5m bonus nonsense for Richard Scudamore's retirement for 'doing a good job'. Does anyone else recall a while back he nearly had to resign over crude emails? Or is this me going soft between the ears?

092.gif

alfie

Quote from: bog on November 18, 2018, 02:16:18 PM
Morning all. I know this is past its day but this £5m bonus nonsense for Richard Scudamore's retirement for 'doing a good job'. Does anyone else recall a while back he nearly had to resign over crude emails? Or is this me going soft between the ears?

092.gif
That is something I vaguely have in back of my mind,

Personally that £250k from each club would be better served by putting into local grass roots etc.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Lighthouse

I mentioned this a while back. But I have to admit I am out of touch and out of step with many peoples thoughts on this and other matters. But I find the 5million bonus an obscenity. I am told to look a the money he has brought into the game. But to me doing his job means he has earned the inflated wages he receives. A huge bonus like this is just disgusting. With all that is going on, all the inflated ticket prices that will eventually catch up with the game. The clubs are being asked to pay this person a bonus.

The fact that he may or may not have sent crude emails is one thing. But the game and indeed many of our business and political institutions are morally and ethically corrupt.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bill taylors apprentice

Everything about it sums up what a f@kd up world we live in!

bog

Nero

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 18, 2018, 02:39:43 PM
I mentioned this a while back. But I have to admit I am out of touch and out of step with many peoples thoughts on this and other matters. But I find the 5million bonus an obscenity. I am told to look a the money he has brought into the game. But to me doing his job means he has earned the inflated wages he receives. A huge bonus like this is just disgusting. With all that is going on, all the inflated ticket prices that will eventually catch up with the game. The clubs are being asked to pay this person a bonus.

The fact that he may or may not have sent crude emails is one thing. But the game and indeed many of our business and political institutions are morally and ethically corrupt.

The money was already in the game from sky, he was at the right place at the right time couldnt really fail to sell world tv right for more as the best players where here already

Statto

Quote from: Nero on November 18, 2018, 03:51:36 PM

The money was already in the game from sky, he was at the right place at the right time couldnt really fail to sell world tv right for more as the best players where here already

This is like the guy at Persimmon getting a massive bonus for generating profits in a period of massive property price growth.

With hindsight it always looks like these people were in the right place at the right time, and we wonder, does anyone deserve that much money?

How many start-up businesses would succeed without good luck? Was our chairman such an expert in car bumpers that Flex-N-Gate would have been just as successful if you take all luck out the equation? Would Amstrad have made Sugar all that money if it hadn't been the 80s when PCs took off and the internet got invented? Now they're billionaires, much richer than Scudamore. Do they deserve it?

As I said on another thread by my fag-packet calculations this £5m payment equates to a c. 0.25% bonus. Would anyone have thought it unreasonable at the time if that had been written into his contract when he took over all those years ago?

SG

There's a big difference between say Sugar (who I dislike having met him a couple of times) who risked his own money initially to establish his business, earning his fortune and Scudamore who was simply doing a job for which he was already handsomely rewarded.
I think it is a disgrace to make this payment whether it is out of central funds or from each League club. It demonstrates how out of touch these executives are with the average fan. Interestingly his replacement has no experience in the sports/football industry but has extensive experience of negotiating lucrative TV contracts. This tells us all we need to know even if she is a Fulham ST holder

SG

Quote from: Statto on November 18, 2018, 04:10:11 PM

This is like the guy at Persimmon getting a massive bonus for generating profits in a period of massive property price growth.

With hindsight it always looks like these people were in the right place at the right time, and we wonder, does anyone deserve that much money?

How many start-up businesses would succeed without good luck? Was our chairman such an expert in car bumpers that Flex-N-Gate would have been just as successful if you take all luck out the equation? Would Amstrad have made Sugar all that money if it hadn't been the 80s when PCs took off and the internet got invented? Now they're billionaires, much richer than Scudamore. Do they deserve it?

As I said on another thread by my fag-packet calculations this £5m payment equates to a c. 0.25% bonus. Would anyone have thought it unreasonable at the time if that had been written into his contract when he took over all those years ago?
He received a bonus each year on top of his annual salary. Bonus should be paid out under a scheme where it can be demonstrated that the individual has delivered under the established criteria - not some big round figure that your mate Mr Buck has dreamed up. He has earned some £26m during his time in position. There was no obligation to pay a bonus, he stepped down of his own volition

Neutral Zone Ultra

What makes this bonus sit particularly uncomfortably with me is the fact that Bruce Buck from the scum down the road was the one who put forward this idea, and was the one who organised it. What does this say about the hierarchy in the league, and which clubs hold all the power and influence in the league's decision making and organisation? It's all well and good for the big clubs with their huge revenues to scrape £250k in small change together, however for everyone else it's not a completely insignificant amount of money just to give away.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Statto on November 18, 2018, 04:10:11 PM

First of all, if £5 million is 0.25%, then his earnings have been two hundred million. I think 25% is closer to the mark, and that is 25% of his total earnings.

But this isn't a "bonus". He has been earning bonuses every year, huge bonuses on top of a huge salary. This is a hand-out between mates. There was no contractual obligation for this to be paid. He has already been paid something like £29 million, and yes, I would have objected (and still do object) to that level of remuneration. The Premier League was not a hard sell. English football has always been prominent in world terms. Teams like Manchester Utd and Liverpool had world-wide followings already. The English football leagues have always been regarded as the most competitive in the world. The promotion and selling of the Premier League product was never a difficult job.

Now, if Fulham is included in the list of teams being asked to contribute (or will it be pro-rata depending on the number of years teams have been in the league?) this is the equivalent of us being asked to hand over a tenner per person to someone who is already wealthy beyond our wildest dreams.

It's a total and absolute disgrace.

Statto

Quote from: Whitesideup on November 18, 2018, 04:40:51 PM
First of all, if £5 million is 0.25%, then his earnings have been two hundred million. I think 25% is closer to the mark, and that is 25% of his total earnings.

£5m is 0.25% of the money he has brought to the PL, which I reckon must be about £20 billion (the latest 3-yr deal TV deal alone is worth £5 billion, I believe

Quote from: Whitesideup on November 18, 2018, 04:40:51 PM
Now, if Fulham is included in the list of teams being asked to contribute (or will it be pro-rata depending on the number of years teams have been in the league?) this is the equivalent of us being asked to hand over a tenner per person to someone who is already wealthy beyond our wildest dreams.

It's a total and absolute disgrace.

By this logic, I paid £60 for Anguissa this summer... now that is a disgrace!

WhiteJC

How many free season tickets Premier League clubs could hand out with Richard Scudamore's £5m bonus

Scudamore, the league's outgoing chief executive, is set to walk away with a £5million golden handshake

Richard Scudamore, the Premier League's outgoing cheif executive, will walk away with £5million (Image: Getty)

Richard Scudamore's £5million bonus would be enough to hand out over 11,000 free season tickets across the Premier League.

The outgoing Premier League chief executive is set to net the farewell money when he officially leaves in January, after 19 years in the job.

However, it is a move that has outraged fans.

Top-flight clubs had reportedly been asked to chip in £250,000 each in order to fund the golden handshake, though the league insists the £5million comes from a central pot.

Despite TV rights increasing many times over during the course of his tenure, match going fans have continually felt the squeeze with prices going ever upwards.

Had Premier League clubs donated the £250,000 in question to the fans instead, then they could have given out 11,662 season tickets between them.

How many season tickets each club could give away...

Arsenal - 280
    Bournemouth - 454
    Brighton - 467
    Burnley - 641
    Cardiff - 896
    Chelsea - 420
    Crystal Palace - 500
    Everton - 595
    Fulham - 716
    Huddersfield - 1,004
    Leicester- 684
    Liverpool - 364
    Man City - 806
    Man United - 469
    Newcastle - 629
    Southampton - 462
    Tottenham - 314
    Watford - 514
    West Ham - 865
    Wolves - 582

TOTAL - 11,662

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/how-many-free-season-tickets-13600399

keithh

My nephew said there was an e-petition on something called change.org.

ron

Quote from: bog on November 18, 2018, 03:19:17 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on November 18, 2018, 02:40:48 PM

+1

+2.     This "bonus" mentality pervades all of our society. Poor performance rewarded by multi million pound bonuses. The banking system where savers get nothing in interest and borrowers are charged plenty in order for the management to roll in cash on a regular bonus system. All the way down to waiters expecting bungs after cr@p meals and cr@p service.....

SP

How much better the quarter of a million £ would've beeen spent on the FFC community programmes & teams. Although it made no difference, I'm glad we were opposed to this suggestion.

Statto

Quote from: ron on November 18, 2018, 07:21:49 PM
Quote from: bog on November 18, 2018, 03:19:17 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on November 18, 2018, 02:40:48 PM

+1

+2.     This "bonus" mentality pervades all of our society. Poor performance rewarded by multi million pound bonuses. The banking system where savers get nothing in interest and borrowers are charged plenty in order for the management to roll in cash on a regular bonus system. All the way down to waiters expecting bungs after cr@p meals and cr@p service.....

I can't speak for waiters but as I said, Scudamore will have brought something like £20 billion into the PL, the Persimmon guy I mentioned, that people were kicking-off about a few weeks ago, increased the value of the company from something like £3 billion to £7 billion in five years, and I can tell you all sorts about what bankers do. If generating billions of pounds for your company and its shareholders (many of whom, by the way, will be ordinary savers like you or me, or pension funds for nurses or teachers) is "poor performance" then I'd be interested to know what good performance looks like.

fulhamfever

Glad Fulham said no to the idea I read it on the bbc

bog

Apparently there are concerns he may ply his revenue making trade for another league in Europe thus affecting the Premier. Emm.

092.gif