more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Scudamore's bonus

Started by bog, November 18, 2018, 02:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on November 18, 2018, 02:40:48 PM
Everything about it sums up what a f@kd up world we live in!
Absolutely agree with you.   We are inflicted with a madness driven by greed and it will not stop until all of us make it stop.

I Ronic

If Executives at other Clubs want to give him a bonus. Fine let them give it out of their own pockets. Much like when a colleague leaves a company.

SG

Quote from: Statto on November 18, 2018, 09:36:44 PM
Quote from: ron on November 18, 2018, 07:21:49 PM
Quote from: bog on November 18, 2018, 03:19:17 PM

+1

+2.     This "bonus" mentality pervades all of our society. Poor performance rewarded by multi million pound bonuses. The banking system where savers get nothing in interest and borrowers are charged plenty in order for the management to roll in cash on a regular bonus system. All the way down to waiters expecting bungs after cr@p meals and cr@p service.....

I can't speak for waiters but as I said, Scudamore will have brought something like £20 billion into the PL, the Persimmon guy I mentioned, that people were kicking-off about a few weeks ago, increased the value of the company from something like £3 billion to £7 billion in five years, and I can tell you all sorts about what bankers do. If generating billions of pounds for your company and its shareholders (many of whom, by the way, will be ordinary savers like you or me, or pension funds for nurses or teachers) is "poor performance" then I'd be interested to know what good performance looks like.

As you well know there are numerous examples of Executives being paid handsomely to leave following poor performance. Nobody is saying that Scudamore is an example of poor performance. He did his job, earned on average £1.5m a year for 19 years including bonuses and then chose to leave. On what basis is another payment of £5m justified. If he felt he was entitled to more income during the course of the 19 years then he had the option to address this with his peers at the time. There simply are not any grounds for awarding him a golden handshake of £5m.

Whilst we are on this tack have you read about the PFA and Gordon Taylor. Unelected for 30+ years and now earning £2m+ a year. At long last some ex players are taking him to task and calling for an investigation and elections. Another ridiculous remuneration package.

Statto

Quote from: SG on November 19, 2018, 02:31:52 PM
Quote from: Statto on November 18, 2018, 09:36:44 PM
Quote from: ron on November 18, 2018, 07:21:49 PM
Quote from: bog on November 18, 2018, 03:19:17 PM

+1

+2.     This "bonus" mentality pervades all of our society. Poor performance rewarded by multi million pound bonuses. The banking system where savers get nothing in interest and borrowers are charged plenty in order for the management to roll in cash on a regular bonus system. All the way down to waiters expecting bungs after cr@p meals and cr@p service.....

I can't speak for waiters but as I said, Scudamore will have brought something like £20 billion into the PL, the Persimmon guy I mentioned, that people were kicking-off about a few weeks ago, increased the value of the company from something like £3 billion to £7 billion in five years, and I can tell you all sorts about what bankers do. If generating billions of pounds for your company and its shareholders (many of whom, by the way, will be ordinary savers like you or me, or pension funds for nurses or teachers) is "poor performance" then I'd be interested to know what good performance looks like.

As you well know there are numerous examples of Executives being paid handsomely to leave following poor performance. Nobody is saying that Scudamore is an example of poor performance. He did his job, earned on average £1.5m a year for 19 years including bonuses and then chose to leave. On what basis is another payment of £5m justified. If he felt he was entitled to more income during the course of the 19 years then he had the option to address this with his peers at the time. There simply are not any grounds for awarding him a golden handshake of £5m.

Whilst we are on this tack have you read about the PFA and Gordon Taylor. Unelected for 30+ years and now earning £2m+ a year. At long last some ex players are taking him to task and calling for an investigation and elections. Another ridiculous remuneration package.

If "Nobody is saying that Scudamore is an example of poor performance" then I don't really understand the relevance of this comment to a thread about Scudamore: "This 'bonus' mentality pervades all of our society. Poor performance rewarded by multi million pound bonuses."

As to your question "On what basis is another payment of £5m justified", well someone up the thread has already said "there are concerns he may ply his revenue making trade for another league in Europe thus affecting the Premier." It would make sense to me if this £5m payment was part of a gentlemen's agreement that he won't go and work for La Liga.

Of course we could all just get green with envy and outraged, sign our little petition online, have the £5m payment to him cancelled, then he goes and works for La Liga and the next £20 billion of Arab and Chinese investment in European football goes to Spain rather than England. Then English football will be much poorer but at least the JC4PM crew will be happy.

alfie

One of the things not being mentioned, is the fact it's not Scudamore instigating this bonus, he may well have his own views, he may accept say thank you and be on his way, or he may decide to use it for good causes, who knows, so let's not hang the bloke out until it's actually happened.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

aaronmcguigan

This sort of thing happens week in week out across many businesses . The need for it to be made public is a bit of a question. There are plenty of ways the Premier league could have taken payment without it being public knowledge. If we didn't know about it we wouldn't have said a thing, after all I'm sure 250k leaving the club is a deckchair off the titanic that was our summer spending.

What  I don't understand though namely, why is it just 20 teams contributing when at least 40 teams last and present have reaped the rewards of those tv deals? Clubs like Villa, WBA, Boro all benefitted from these deals but pay nothing in return?

Whitesideup

Quote from: Whitesideup on November 22, 2018, 10:28:51 AM

Of course we could all just get green with envy and outraged, sign our little petition online, have the £5m payment to him cancelled, then he goes and works for La Liga and the next £20 billion of Arab and Chinese investment in European football goes to Spain rather than England. Then English football will be much poorer but at least the JC4PM crew will be happy.

Statto - I think belittling people who don't agree with you is inappropriate.  And you know what, I don't care if overseas investors want to plough money into other leagues. And apart from anything else, from a marketing perspective,  which appears to escape you, they don't have the product. The reason the Premier League has been so successful was because it was the best product around, and distribution channels evolved over the years to make this product more accessible to bigger markets....not because of Scudamore. The product earned the income - the executives (note the plural) did the job of enhancing revenue streams for which they were handsomely rewarded.   
[/quote]

Statto

Quote from: Whitesideup on November 22, 2018, 10:29:31 AM
Statto - I think belittling people who don't agree with you is inappropriate.  And you know what, I don't care if overseas investors want to plough money into other leagues. And apart from anything else, from a marketing perspective,  which appears to escape you, they don't have the product. The reason the Premier League has been so successful was because it was the best product around, and distribution channels evolved over the years to make this product more accessible to bigger markets....not because of Scudamore. The product earned the income - the executives (note the plural) did the job of enhancing revenue streams for which they were handsomely rewarded.   

"Belittling"? Hmmm... Sorry but the terms used on this thread so far include "nonsense", "obscenity", "disgusting", "morally and ethically corrupt", "f@kd up", "total and absolute disgrace", "madness driven by greed" and "ridiculous". That's in a thread still only on two pages.

Maybe it would be fairer to retract my last post and just reciprocate by saying I think you and anyone else who disagrees with me are talking nonsense, obscene, disgusting, morally and ethically corrupt, f@kd up, totally and absolutely disgraceful, mad and being ridiculous.

As to your right-place-right-time argument, we are going round in circles. As I said above, every good product looks an easy sell with hindsight. I'm sure it was very easy to sell computers in the 80s and 90s and social media in the 2000s. But then if selling computers, social media and English football was so easy, why didn't you or I do it and earn a tidy bonus like this for ourselves? 

ron

Seems like it's time to mutter something like;"That Scudamore's a lucky fellow", and then move on...?