watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

England

Started by Burt, November 18, 2018, 05:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Keep it on the down-low, but we do have the makings of a really good team in the next few years.

Great performance today from the lads, particularly to come back from an ill-deserved goal down.

nose returns

Quote from: Burt on November 18, 2018, 05:50:28 PM
Keep it on the down-low, but we do have the makings of a really good team in the next few years.

Great performance today from the lads, particularly to come back from an ill-deserved goal down.

There is surely a will to win that we have not seem before. going to a back four makes a difference and we were able to get at them
IMO there were three players that whilst imensely talented seem to think they can do everything on their own and not play with the rest of the team. when rashford and Berkely were withdrawn we got better, sterling could just as easilly have been withdrawn. these are all really quality players but as long as they play for themselves and not the team they devalue their talent 90%

However, overall it wasa great game and top class win.

F(f)CUK

I am pleased that we won, as to play as well as we did and then get relegated would have been really disappointing.

Steeeeeeeeeed

England qualify for two International Tournament Semi Finals within 6 months not bad.

One of the first teams to ever do such a thing, along with Belgium, so far, and possibly France. (I think). Portugalhave already qualified, which is good as they are hosting next summer, and the Netherlands may still stand in the way France making it

This tournament is a very good idea, I like the format and I think it will grow in importance as a way to rank a teams progress. Its a nice nice to play it alongside the meaningless friendlies as there is still a place a few of them, but it was great to see the two teams today really going for qualification, and made for a very good match.

At one point England were going to be 'relegated' to the second tier, but the players reacted well and qualify for a semi, great stuff.

Twig

Quote from: Steeeeeeeeeed on November 18, 2018, 06:55:01 PM
England qualify for two International Tournament Semi Finals within 6 months not bad.

One of the first teams to ever do such a thing, along with Belgium, so far, and possibly France. (I think). Portugalhave already qualified, which is good as they are hosting next summer, and the Netherlands may still stand in the way France making it

This tournament is a very good idea, I like the format and I think it will grow in importance as a way to rank a teams progress. Its a nice nice to play it alongside the meaningless friendlies as there is still a place a few of them, but it was great to see the two teams today really going for qualification, and made for a very good match.

At one point England were going to be 'relegated' to the second tier, but the players reacted well and qualify for a semi, great stuff.

Agree with you steeeed

nose returns

Does this mean, the old  euro tournament is now over

gezkc

Quote from: nose on November 18, 2018, 09:08:18 PM

My understanding is that the Euros and World Cup will take place as usual. The Nations just replaces friendlies, but counts towards a team's world ranking.

What I'm not clear about is whether these matches also replace the qualifying matches for major tournaments, and I'm not clear on whether teams can still arrange their own friendlies outside of the Nations' League. In the past, a South American team drawn against a British nation in the World Cup would arrange a friendly against another British nation to get experience of playing against that style of play. Can that still happen or are you constrained by what tier you're in?

Is anyone sure about how this works, as I realise I'm confusing myself the more I think about it?!

Woolly Mammoth

Agree, England were excellent and thoroughly deserved their victory.
As Burt has emphasised, we have the makings of a very good team, with so many young players of pace and quality emerging. It's a very young team, and the best is yet to come.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

KJS

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 18, 2018, 09:53:55 PM
Agree, England were excellent and thoroughly deserved their victory.
As Burt has emphasised, we have the makings of a very good team, with so many young players of pace and quality emerging. It's a very young team, and the best is yet to come.

unfortunately we have been here before when the likes of Lampard & Gerrard came through still we can still hope it will happen this time around

toshes mate

Quote from: gezkc on November 18, 2018, 09:27:24 PM

My understanding is that the Euros and World Cup will take place as usual. The Nations just replaces friendlies, but counts towards a team's world ranking.

What I'm not clear about is whether these matches also replace the qualifying matches for major tournaments, and I'm not clear on whether teams can still arrange their own friendlies outside of the Nations' League. In the past, a South American team drawn against a British nation in the World Cup would arrange a friendly against another British nation to get experience of playing against that style of play. Can that still happen or are you constrained by what tier you're in?

Is anyone sure about how this works, as I realise I'm confusing myself the more I think about it?!
It is a ranking tounament. The Nations League semi-final place means England also gain a backstop entry to the next Euro finals should they fail to qualify normally. 

Sudden death games can genuinely eliver interesting full blooded ninety minute matches and last night was no exception to that.

I remain cautious about England under Southgate but it does seem the national side has been revitalised at long last.  Reasonable crowd at Wembley too.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Rooney said that the old "golden age" of players resent the success of the current lot. I'm sorry, but if they actually played with a bit of passion in an England shirt, they too may have had success.
I love the fact Southgate is happy to bleed the youngsters in. Hopefully their respective clubs will look at them a bit closer.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

nose returns

Quote from: toshes mate on November 19, 2018, 08:14:09 AM

It is a ranking tounament. The Nations League semi-final place means England also gain a backstop entry to the next Euro finals should they fail to qualify normally. 

Sudden death games can genuinely eliver interesting full blooded ninety minute matches and last night was no exception to that.

I remain cautious about England under Southgate but it does seem the national side has been revitalised at long last.  Reasonable crowd at Wembley too.

Thanks for the answers, i am still a bit confused, especially regarding 'ranking' because clearly Germany, who i think were relegated, can hardly be considered as second rate. I preferred life when it was simpler and earl barrett and conway were my heros

it used to take two years to get qualification for the euros, so i assume that will now take place in one year, that might be a clever trick.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Just imagine that that was the World Cup Semi .. country would have gone mad (well even more so)

Twig

nose returns

Quote from: Twig on November 19, 2018, 04:39:31 PM
There is some good info on the BBC website; https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46154317

Thank you for the link. I am now completley confused. Except i understand there is a euro 2020 event and qualifiers and somehow, totally unclear how, this competion has relevance.

You can't make it up the complexity OR that somehow we are one of the big boys now!

davew

Sadly I lost interest many years ago with these unnecessary and disruptive competitions! The World Cup and qualifiers are fine but not the others, European whatever championships or African Nations, at least our home nations competition has been scrapped as far as I know or is that being played under another name these days? I think we have enough football to watch and try and enjoy with the Football Leagues and FA Cup, even the now called Carabeo Cup is sort of a waste of time, just football for footballs sake! I do like the idea of other knockout comp's where the top teams can field an under 21 or is it under 23 against the lower league teams, that does make for progression in the development of young players.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

hovewhite

All I know is it's fun watching England again.

toshes mate

Quote from: nose on November 19, 2018, 02:32:18 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on November 19, 2018, 08:14:09 AM

Thanks for the answers, i am still a bit confused, especially regarding 'ranking' because clearly Germany, who i think were relegated, can hardly be considered as second rate. I preferred life when it was simpler and earl barrett and conway were my heros

it used to take two years to get qualification for the euros, so i assume that will now take place in one year, that might be a clever trick.
The ranking aspect of the tournament seems to be a mix of simplicity and complexity - a bit like the older version of the Davis Cup but on steroids.

res

Not just the first team, but also the younger age group. Watched the U20s against Germany last night at Colchester and they were good...technically and physically.